THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caffeine: It makes the world go 'round  (Read 7899 times)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
Caffeine: It makes the world go 'round
« on: 01 Aug 2011, 19:41 »

So, I've been to my local coffee shops more often than usual lately. Now I live in an eerily stereotypical midwestern town, except for the deep asian subculture, and I've been getting a few weird looks when I order my drinks. I usually get one of two things at coffee shops:

Just regular black coffee: I enjoy using the strongest stuff they have, seeing how I usually get it for waking up. While this is not weird at all, I do tend to take a small sip for taste, then I gulp down the rest of the coffee in one gulp. What's weirder is that I never get over caffeinated or super crazy or anything like that, I gently become more awake. Though I have noticed I've been getting darker beans. So I think their going by aroma, not by caffeine.

Tea: I almost never get my peaceful tea at cafes, It's more effective if I d it at home, it's easier to relax. I do drink a bit oof arizona tea, but it always tastes like crap. Awesome crap, nevertheless, but not quality madeI usually get chai lattes. And the mst common response is "Chai? I didn't know anyone drank that stuff." Now I'm aware that chai isn't popular at all compared t coffee,  but it's weird that the drink I've loved since childhood is so neglected. At least, that's what it seems to me. Every coffee shop has chai, but it's always kinda out of sight on the menu.

Though I must admit, I used to be a big starbucks fan back when I lived in miami The only cafes there were those that served primarily cafe con leche, which is decent, but not my style. ( yet another stereotype I broke in miami)

So talk here about your favorites caffeinated beverages I guess
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
Re: Caffeine: It makes the world go 'round
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2011, 19:51 »

Caffeine is a natural diuretic!
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2011, 19:57 »

WELL. That was sure a classy start to this discussion.

Though isn't diuretic related to urine, not fical matter? If I remember my medical terms, coffee is more akin to a laxative because of (semi) solid waste it causes.

Biology is awesome
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Zingoleb

« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2011, 20:40 »

I'm one of those people who are super sensitive to caffeine. I got a quadshot of espresso once and didn't sleep until the next night.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2011, 21:02 »

i drank coffee once
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• welp
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2011, 21:03 »

maybe twice

sean

• welp
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2011, 21:04 »

it was cool

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2011, 21:32 »

Actually, sean, I imagine the coffee was quite hot.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2011, 21:42 »

please note my signature   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #9 on: 01 Aug 2011, 22:15 »

Actually, sean, I imagine the coffee was quite hot.

there's always iced or blended
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: 01 Aug 2011, 22:30 »

One of the classic Shoe comic strips was a play on an old coffee commercial, and sums up my view on the subject. "I like the caffeine, it's the coffee I could do without."

Thus my caffeinated beverages of choice are the fizzy sugary ones.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2011, 23:18 »

Nectar of the gods:

C8H10N4O2.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2011, 04:44 »

I don't know any human alive that needs a quad shot of espresso, Zingoleb.

And where I live there are surprisingly few indie coffee shops so I usually have to go to Costa or Starbucks or something.

FACTOID:

Starbucks was named after The Peaquod's First Mate, Starbuck, from the novel Moby Dick. Originally the creators/founders of the chain wanted to call it The Peaquod or Peaquod's, but decided against it (always thought Starbucks was very synonymous with America, as a name as well as a brand).

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2011, 05:38 »

Actually if I get espresso I get it in 4x more often than not.

Or "two-doubles-in-the-same-cup-mate" because the coffee guy at work is a bit dense and can't count so high, but same principle.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2011, 06:36 »

Ditto. I need at least a double to be functional and a double double to be optimal.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Zingoleb

« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2011, 06:45 »

We had an indie coffee shop back in Jamestown called the Labyrinth, where they played indie music and it was filled with quirky music and people who said irreverent things at any given moment. I felt like I was in a sitcom whenever I went there.

For Halloween I was going to dress up like David Bowie and stand in front of it, contact juggling.

sean

• welp
« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:07 »

i used pre-ground carribu coffee beans this morning, colombia. it was pretty good for being pre-ground and used with a drip machine.

i usually french press that shit, tho owning of of these:

would be neat, i wanna play around with one and see what kinda brew i can get.

sean

• welp
« Reply #17 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:10 »

i still hate these:

with a passion.

sean

• welp
« Reply #18 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:11 »

i hate them this much, if anyone forgot

Lupercal

« Reply #19 on: 02 Aug 2011, 12:29 »

i hate them this much, if anyone forgot

I remember it fondly. I remember being quite surprised about how many different ways you can have coffee in the morning.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 02 Aug 2011, 14:11 »

FACTOID:

Starbucks was named after The Peaquod's First Mate, Starbuck, from the novel Moby Dick. Originally the creators/founders of the chain wanted to call it The Peaquod or Peaquod's, but decided against it (always thought Starbucks was very synonymous with America, as a name as well as a brand).

Then what's the deal with Queequeg's?

Also a fact: Because caffeine is quickly habituated to, people who drink coffee regularly are actually equally alert and focused under the effect of caffeine than non-users. It's the caffeine withdrawal that causes people to stop functioning if they can't get their caffeine. So if you want to make use of its stimulating effect, drink coffee occasionally and not every day. Basically, treat it like any other drug.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 02 Aug 2011, 19:03 »

I actually prefer plain ol' Filter Coffee.  Instant if i'm in a hurry.
James The Kugai 

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #22 on: 02 Aug 2011, 21:54 »

I've been going off coffee because the one barista at uni who I could trust to make a flat white and not a cappuccino seems to have moved on.

Also fuck paying $4 for a cup of coffee.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2011, 07:40 »

I have a Keurig at home, and we have one at work as well (whatthefuckever, Sean).

It makes me a cup of coffee, and that makes me happy. 'Sall I know.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #24 on: 03 Aug 2011, 18:31 »

I had a coffee yesterday and immediately felt more sleepy than I was pre-coffee, and stayed this way for the rest of the day. I was pretty much relying on this coffee to wake me up, so I was rather disappointed.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #25 on: 03 Aug 2011, 18:45 »

I'm planning on getting a french press for college. Specifically to avoid spending the four dollars on a single cup (who drinks just one anyway?). I think the extra ten minutes are worth it.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 03 Aug 2011, 21:59 »

I had a coffee yesterday and immediately felt more sleepy than I was pre-coffee, and stayed this way for the rest of the day. I was pretty much relying on this coffee to wake me up, so I was rather disappointed.

Someone must have slipped you a Decaf
James The Kugai 

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2011, 04:16 »

Jens is total right Apart from general health reasons, that's why I never get coffee from the uni coffee cart.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #28 on: 04 Aug 2011, 07:01 »

We had an indie coffee shop back in Jamestown called the Labyrinth, where they played indie music and it was filled with quirky music and people who said irreverent things at any given moment. I felt like I was in a sitcom whenever I went there.

For Halloween I was going to dress up like David Bowie and stand in front of it, contact juggling.

That would have been SO cool.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Lupercal

« Reply #29 on: 04 Aug 2011, 08:10 »

FACTOID:

Also a fact: Because caffeine is quickly habituated to, people who drink coffee regularly are actually equally alert and focused under the effect of caffeine than non-users. It's the caffeine withdrawal that causes people to stop functioning if they can't get their caffeine. So if you want to make use of its stimulating effect, drink coffee occasionally and not every day. Basically, treat it like any other drug.

Breakfast isn't breakfast without some nice damn coffee though, even for smell reasons. Sunday morning, french toast & coffee. Win.

Queequeg's is a place? Obviously hasn't reached the grey shores/white cliffs of England yet. (assuming by the name they sell coffee in human heads or that you have to sit in coffins or something)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #30 on: 04 Aug 2011, 08:48 »

Breakfast isn't breakfast without some nice damn coffee though, even for smell reasons. Sunday morning, french toast & coffee. Win.

Queequeg's is a place? Obviously hasn't reached the grey shores/white cliffs of England yet. (assuming by the name they sell coffee in human heads or that you have to sit in coffins or something)

It's sort of a place. If you'll forgive the off-topic excursion: I'm not familiar with Moby Dick, so I only know the name "Peaquod's" as the coffee shop in Deus Ex: Invisible War, which was competing with the coffee shop "Queequeg's", which obviously meant nothing to me back then. Yay, learning!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #31 on: 06 Aug 2011, 13:41 »

can I use this thread to pimp the shit out of AEROPRESS COFFEE?! Yes I can!

Aeropress coffee is THE BEST THING. They look like this:

and they make the best coffee you could ever possibly make at home! Wowza!
Aeropress kits are like, maybe $20, and are made of plastic and shit that won't break the second you get fancy and try to make coffee while drunk. They use disposable paper filters, which can be a turn-off, but you can also buy FUCKIN' AWESOME metal filters that you can rewash and use forever and ever. Since the Aeropress goes right on top of yr mug, you don't need to worry about decanters, extra cleanup, or any of that other bullshit standing in the way between you and DELICIOUS CAFFEINE.

Seriously guys it is the best way to make coffee. Go buy one of these fuckers.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:12 »

I love coffee. I start every day by waking up at least half an hour before my wife to let the dogs out, and brew up a pot in the French Press.

But my wife is going on a "juice/raw/fast/detox" starting Monday. She's been drinking a little less coffee each day this week, and was down to almost none this morning. So I have to decide how much I'm going to suffer with her. I can't do the fast, because I'm diabetic, but my diet is sure to change some.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2011, 13:26 »

I'm planning on getting a french press for college. Specifically to avoid spending the four dollars on a single cup (who drinks just one anyway?). I think the extra ten minutes are worth it.

Six minutes, tops - let the coffee steep for four minutes. Also it's definitely worth it cost-wise and, in my experience, taste-wise as well! a lot of cafés do really shitty black coffees because they sell mostly specialty coffees, so for regular black coffee they have an old drip coffee machine in a corner somewhere that just simmers all day.

What do you even know about making coffee? Did you spend a good portion of your working life thus far working in a cafe that your sister also worked in?

The true tip to good coffee is to just eat the grounds.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

ackblom12

« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2011, 13:29 »

After dipping them in chocolate.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #35 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:26 »

The true tip to good coffee is to just eat the grounds.

I actually love to do that.

But it gives me terrible, painful, runny poop.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:47 »

I generally drink coffee for the taste, as caffeine has essentially no effect on me (I'm blessed with mountains of natural energy). French press coffee is some of the best shit on the whole damn planet.

I mostly just use regular ass brewers for a regular cup. Sadly, my area is mostly houses for miles, with the only worthwhile coffee shops I'm aware not within feasible driving distance.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #37 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:16 »

I just moved to a place that is literally a minute from the only good coffee place in Glasgow, it has already started to ruin me.

Also, at home I use one of these:

Way, way better than the french press I used to have. Coffee for everyone!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:43 »

I just had a serious talk with the local coffee roaster. I've arranged a deal to send coffee right to my future campus.  8-)

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #39 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:10 »

Java Lava

Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2011, 16:13 »

I like Taylors of Harrogate. They do one called Lazy Sunday, which is medium but so smooth you wouldn't believe.

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a body cleanout. Quit smoking, boozing and caffeine-ing. I haven't drunk any caffeine in a month. I think the coffee withdrawal is actually worse than the nicotine waithdrawal!
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.
Pages: [1]   Go Up