THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 22:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: well, that was quick  (Read 3043 times)

RufusTFirefly

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
well, that was quick
« on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:44 »

My wife introduced me to QC some months back, but I didn't read it until very recently. I picked up her copy of QC book 1, tore through it, and went on to read the archives, catching up on two weeks ago, and loving nearly every strip!

I was sad to see Dora and Marten break up, but the situation makes sense.

However, I was disappointed to learn in the breakup that Marten is secretly Captain Doormat. It's one thing to be mopey whingy weak boy intimidated by women, but a main character who stands up briefly against the woman screwing him over, only to almost immediately forgive all and be her bestie? Geez, just call him Earthworm Jim already he's so spineless.
Seriously? I can't read the strip if it's going to be like that. Pathetic. Tore through the archives absolutely loving it, but that just flushes it.

Eh, well, I can go try to find another comic. I was totally looking for something to fill the space in my bookmarks held by Scary Go Round, Achewood, etc.

I came to say, I cannot stay, I must be going.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 09:50 by RufusTFirefly »

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
Re: well, that was quick
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:41 »

I have to ask what the point of this post was, if you don't plan on staying. I don't mean to come off harsh, but you seem like you signed up for the forums for the sole purpose of bashing the story, and have no intention of sticking around. Forgive me if I'm wrong, that's just the impression I got from your post, and personally I don't appreciate it, nor do I see the point in doing it. If you don't like the story and want to find another webcomic, by all means that's your right, but why not just do that rather than coming on here to whine about it first?

Again, if I misread the post, I apologize for coming off harsh, and of course all opinions are welcome to come here and be discussed, but you just didn't seem like this was up for discussion, so I see it as being worse than pointless.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 13:33 »

Perhaps he was hoping to be convinced that he's misinterpreted things, or that there's some hope that the cognoscenti  would know that his reading of Marten was somehow off. 

Of course, if he'd lurked a bit, he'd know better...   :wink:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

RufusTFirefly

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2011, 14:02 »

Perhaps he was hoping to be convinced that he's misinterpreted things, or that there's some hope that the cognoscenti  would know that his reading of Marten was somehow off.  

Of course, if he'd lurked a bit, he'd know better...   :wink:

Nah, wrwight was pretty much wrw-right. Perhaps, Carl-E, I was hoping some longtime reader would sooth my jangled nerdves by saying "no, totally, the storyline just took a dump on my hopes and dreams man", but realizing that was unlikely I was just looking to pop in, say how much I really enjoyed the strip for a few thousand installments read in a couple of weeks, and that it totally turned around and ran over my tricycle in the driveway. Sort of an indirect comment to the author and incrowd.  Figured i'd check the thread a few times to see if any, as you said, cognoscenti have passed on wisdom, but I figure I won't dawdle much.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2011, 14:07 by RufusTFirefly »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2011, 14:11 »

I can't read the strip if it's going to be like that. Pathetic. Tore through the archives absolutely loving it, but that just flushes it.

Every few months over the years I've been around here something has happened in the story that made someone say the same as you.  I put it down to (a) slow development - i.e. what you now object to may be seen in perspective in a couple of months time, and (b) too specific expectations - i.e. getting too sure where the story is going, and being disappointed when that's wrong. 

It's up to you - but you could always come and discuss whether your feelings about it are justified or not.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

RufusTFirefly

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2011, 10:49 »

Dig the icon pwhodges. And related to it, let me use Scott Pilgrim as a parallel.

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't read Scott Pilgrim in its entirety.

If Volume 6 had started with Scott immediately forgiving Ramona and buddying up her (assuming she hadn't left town) and wanting to just hang and be friends, unrealistically tossing aside all infinite sadness over the breakup, it would have been anticlimactic and boring. The sadness over the breakup shows the depth of loss. For Marten to have a few panels of drunk anger, get punched by Violentia Queen of Violence, and then magically accept how he was treated and walk on asking if he can continue basking in the glow of his ex while her character moves on is dull, and shallow.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2011, 10:55 by RufusTFirefly »
Pages: [1]   Go Up