THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 16:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What'll you do to be one of the thousand to test Diablo 3 beta?

Pray
- 5 (17.2%)
Kill
- 9 (31%)
Nothing
- 15 (51.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diablo III Beta  (Read 11475 times)

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
Diablo III Beta
« on: 04 Aug 2011, 09:43 »

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
Re: Diablo III Beta
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2011, 18:36 »

I signed up last night for a chance to beta test.  I hope I get in just so I can see if my laptop can handle it.  My luck I'll get in right when busy season starts and I have to work 50-60 hours a week.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2011, 12:39 »

My laptop is ancient and definitely can't handle D3. I'm honestly considering buying a new one to rectify this problem.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2011, 15:44 »

It's interesting because the release date is linked very closely with how this beta will go.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2011, 11:20 »

WANT. Oh, man, I really wanna be in the beta test for this. I'd have to let my mom play, though. XD She and I have gone through Diablo II with a friend of mine, and we still need to finish the expanded one but haven't had time. >_< But my mom really enjoys Diablo because she liked blowing up corpses and since she could understand the controls pretty easily.

Anyone else going to have to share the beta test with someone if they get in?
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2011, 17:59 »

I am pretty sure I'm going to be playing Torchlight II instead for a bit, and watching how much people complain about D3's always-on requirement & in-game purchasing system before making the purchase decision.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2011, 18:20 »

What's the story with this Torchlight thing? I'm out the loop. Is it Diablo-on-the-cheap? Is it worth $14?

Hollow Press (my blog)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2011, 00:48 »

Diablo but campy and even more fun. Totally worth it, if not more.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2011, 18:09 »

ok cool, I'll have to check it out. Once I get a new computer that is, my current mac is too old to even run steam.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2011, 16:30 »

So do you guys think the intel 3000 onboard graphics chip in the new 13" macbook pro will be enough to run D3? Please say yes...

Hollow Press (my blog)

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2011, 20:09 »

It's likely that they"ll test a wide variety of computers so it's not necessarily about having the best specs.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2011, 22:19 »

Blizzard still loves their mac customers.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2011, 22:21 »

So do you guys think the intel 3000 onboard graphics chip in the new 13" macbook pro will be enough to run D3? Please say yes...

If you can run Starcraft 2 in some form, I think it's a safe bet you'll be able to run Diablo III.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:01 »

huh those beta requirements make me a little uneasy, don't know how those independent cards compare to the (idiotically) onboard chip on the new macbook pro. Really baffled by the graphics downgrade, to be honest. But I'm sure you guys are right, Blizzard wouldn't make a game that can't run on a currently new system I wouldn't think. They do seem to be fan of their mac users, it's true.

EDIT: This guy's youtube videos demo'ing the intel 3000 on the base model mbp puts my mind at ease! http://www.youtube.com/user/gregdobs#p/u/4/wGFWc6C2JD4
Things look pretty good
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2011, 11:53 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

Pillow

• Not quite a lurker
  • Jam a bastard in it, you crap
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2011, 10:47 »

Signed up about a week before beta went public. I've been compulsively checking my e-mail for anything from B.net every fifteen minutes or so ever since then.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2011, 19:52 »

btw guys, have a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhWqmVeDno

aw man and just when I was about to stop giving a shit

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2012, 17:27 »

Why the fuck are none of talking about the fact that Diablo III is coming out in under two months. COME ON. GOD. It's not like it's one of the best series of all time. Oh wait, YES IT IS.

Sorry, sorry. The Diablo series is really important to the history of my gaming life and I'm so freaking excited.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2012, 21:30 »

Perhaps a new nerding thread is in order.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2012, 21:47 »

I kinda gave up on caring about Blizzard once WoW took over the company, and then for a short period of time before Starcraft II came out. I'm now comfortable saying I give no fucks.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2012, 06:50 »

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2012, 06:52 »

Ima beta test the shit out of that game :D

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2012, 12:32 »

The servers are busy - please try again later

I should have expected that. I'll try again when the american continent is asleep.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2012, 12:49 »

I think they've crashed, actually.

Duh, Blizzard. You should have realized how many people want to beta test this.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2012, 15:13 »

Yeah, the little news box in game says it now. It also asks us to "keep checking back". In terms of testing the flood of eager beta testers is probably wonderful for them - since they are probably continually altering the number of concurrent players allowed on the servers, they'll be able to pinpoint very acutely how many players they can handle with the resources they're testing with.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:34 »

It's not the servers that can't handle the traffic, it's the login server.  Once your in a game, you're fine.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:37 »

When I really think about, I hate the fact that D3 requires an internet connection to play. The fact that it does is nearly a deal breaker for me. I should be able to play the games I buy anywhere, whether I can get online with a fast enough internet connection or not. If it's not an MMO, there's no reason to REQUIRE everyone to be online. Call me weird, but I've always preferred solo-ing in RPGs, especially hack-and-slash heavy ones. Having a party of NPCs is OK but I don't want to do co-op with a bunch of random people or even, in most cases, my friends (few of whom will be playing this in any case). The Diablo series has always been a solitary one for me so I probably won't touch online co-op play in D3 no matter what. I want to go it alone and I don't want to have to worry about server overloads or random crashes or maintenance work to get in the way of me playing single player when I want and where I want. I'll play a demo or get a torrent or something when the final version drops and if it's as good as I'm praying it is then I'll buy the full version. But if I'm not blown away, I'll look somewhere else. Probably boot up my copies of the first Dungeon Siege and Diablo 2.

Hollow Press (my blog)

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2012, 12:24 »

I'm getting lag in single player games - that is not how things should work at all. The always online thing isn't a dealbreaker for me - I am pretty much always online - but it damn better work. I'll not play this if the fact that my wireless hotspot is on the other side of a thick wall makes the single player experience laggy. That's bullshit.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 22 Apr 2012, 19:14 »

It's not the servers that can't handle the traffic, it's the login server.  Once your in a game, you're fine.

Every time I have tried playing this weekend, they've always just taken the game down. Then I'll do something else (something I should be doing) and when I remember to check again, either I'm about to do something else, am too tired, or the same thing has happened again. I even got on long enough to make a character and then I got kicked off because they took the game offline. Again.

Kombatkoala

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2012, 22:30 »

I received my beta key 2 weeks ago. So far the game has been far too easy, though blizzard claims this is to be expected at this level in the game and promises that on higher difficulty levels and further in the game you will die and likely often. The beta only progresses through the first chapter of the game at which point you receive a message telling you that you have beaten the beta.
"Vodka is the enemy, so we shall consume it utterly!"

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:32 »

When I really think about, I hate the fact that D3 requires an internet connection to play. The fact that it does is nearly a deal breaker for me. I should be able to play the games I buy anywhere, whether I can get online with a fast enough internet connection or not. If it's not an MMO, there's no reason to REQUIRE everyone to be online. Call me weird, but I've always preferred solo-ing in RPGs, especially hack-and-slash heavy ones. Having a party of NPCs is OK but I don't want to do co-op with a bunch of random people or even, in most cases, my friends (few of whom will be playing this in any case). The Diablo series has always been a solitary one for me so I probably won't touch online co-op play in D3 no matter what. I want to go it alone and I don't want to have to worry about server overloads or random crashes or maintenance work to get in the way of me playing single player when I want and where I want. I'll play a demo or get a torrent or something when the final version drops and if it's as good as I'm praying it is then I'll buy the full version. But if I'm not blown away, I'll look somewhere else. Probably boot up my copies of the first Dungeon Siege and Diablo 2.

While I do understand the reasoning behind their need for players to be persistently online, I also think they could achieve the same things  with a different approach. Starcraft 2's requirement for a Battle.net login is not really a jarring experience (logging in and single-player can be still done offline), and you would think it'd be the right approach to Diablo 3 as well.

That said, the rampant hacking that went on in Diablo II was absurd. From a certain angle it seems Blizzard made a highly sensitive reactionary approach because of this, and I wouldn't blame them. But authentication of characters on a second-for-second basis is stupid, espcially for a strictly solo playthrough. The option for a offline mode completely separate from the co-op/future versus (eg. no importing of characters into multiplayer ala what happened in D2, I think) should be there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up