THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The band's first song of their first concert will be...

Hot Cross Buns
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Parabola
We Are The Waffles
They won't get that far

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week  (Read 72634 times)

billydaking

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week
« Reply #200 on: 11 Aug 2011, 14:30 »

Been lurkin' on this whole week's discussion about what Marten should be doing with his life, even though some of the responses strike me as something my parents thankfully never told me to do. Just wanted to point out one thing:

As we're pointing out that Marten's interest in music and the band is a "hobby," we're forgetting that we're posting on a message board for a webcomic that started out as a hobby.

Hobbies are things we do because we tend to be passionate about the subject. In many ways, hobbies are the iceberg's tip of things that actually drive our lives and give meaning to our day-to-day existence, whether it be music, writing, art, science, teaching, or whatever juices your soul. Marten's simply recognized (finally) what makes him happy, and now he has to figure out what to do with it.

Also, I know far too many regional musicians who have managed to make a life doing their thing, without becoming national acts much less stars, and they wouldn't trade it to "shove crap for a million dollars."

Some of us would like to be on our deathbeds with no regrets.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #201 on: 11 Aug 2011, 14:35 »

I weep crocodile tears at the somber moderator death of what I thought was a clear enough poke & joke :cry: .

Sure, it was quite clear enough, and recognised.  And yet I could point you at times in this very forum that would have justified my explanation; and unlike Schroedinger's cat, I can't have it both ways (though I do have the T-shirt - the Schroedinger's cat one, I mean).  But even if you think me sombre, I hope you accept that I am not humourless.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #202 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:09 »

@pwhodges...

Never meant to say you were a somber person, the problems of internet text communications.  Gods know any Forum Moderator worth their "ban-hammer" cannot afford to NOT have a sense of humour without losing a noticable portion of sanity.  I definitely accept you are not humourless and accept your silent "lols" :) .

*throws a cat in a quantum-steel box into the pwhodges volcano in sacrifice...just in case*

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #203 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:12 »

Marten likes buying coffee and guitars, but doesn't seem to be into money for its own sake. He didn't want to accept $2,000 that practically fell into his lap.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #204 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:33 »

Well, that two grand did involve HannerMom playing off her daughter's fears and insecurities, which bothered Marten.  Hanners did get the satisfaction of sticking it back to her mom.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #205 on: 11 Aug 2011, 15:50 »

And it just makes me sad that you compared me to Nappy McTurtlneck, because, you have me all wrong  :-( I'm not like that at all.
It was perhaps a bit brutal. My bad. ;)

It's a first piano recital staple as well! I totally played this at my first one.
I think mine was Plaisir D'Amour  (played way better in the clip that I ever managed).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #206 on: 11 Aug 2011, 16:17 »

I think musicalsoul latched onto my sentiments as well. Being someone who encourages anyone to do what they love, I found the tone of stoutflies' initial argument and subsequent responses to be very similar to that of many nay-sayers who, while well-intentioned, seem to want to push people away from following their dreams just because their dreams don't fit into what they consider practical, achievable life goals.

As has been pointed out, there's no real indication that Marten is pursuing the band as his new career. This could all be Jeph poking the beast that is the forum, knowing how hyperbolic and polarizing we can be. Then again, that's assuming he even cares what the forum thinks, which I get mixed ideas about (he mentions it in news posts infrequently, and visits from time to time, but also has clearly expressed his disdain for it at times).

Finally, stoutflies, I feel like your arguments are leading and deceptive at times. For example, when discussing a career path, you bring up shoveling crap for loads of cash. People assume you mean that as a career (I still think you meant it that way when you made the post). When it is rejected as a career, you then reform your argument to claim the opposition wouldn't even use it temporarily as a means to pursue a dream, and I think that is unfair to the nature of your original argument. Of course if I could quit my day job, shovel crap for a week to become a multi-millionaire, then finance my album I would do so. I most certainly would not shovel crap day in and day out for 40 years, I don't care how much it pays.

Also (so much for finally), to add support to the "would you do it if you had to pay?" argument, most small-time musicians who go out on the road, and indeed most private business ventures in general don't make money when they start out, and the business owner(s) go deep into debt on the hope that one day they'll turn it back around. Do they expect compensation for their work? Of course. Could they easily have chosen a "safer" career path that didn't require them to pay so much money to do what they love? Again, of course. But they chose the hard way. They chose to invest their own money into their dreams. It's absurd to think anyone would pay to do their day job, simply because they would be left without the means to exist, and therefore couldn't continue to do so. On principal though, if they could afford to, many people would pay to do what they love, as evidenced by things like student teaching or opening a small business. You claim to have set up your argument to see if your opponents would argue anything. I think your opponents saw the absurdity of what you were actually saying, and decided you must actually mean something else, choosing the most likely alternative and arguing that point instead.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #207 on: 11 Aug 2011, 16:26 »

they wouldn't trade it to "shove crap for a million dollars."
Which makes them the opposite of the Black Eyed Peas.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #208 on: 11 Aug 2011, 16:29 »

they wouldn't trade it to "shove crap for a million dollars."
Which makes them the opposite of the Black Eyed Peas.
win

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #209 on: 11 Aug 2011, 16:35 »

If we're comparing first concert pieces, mine was The Blue Danube Waltz.

I also played the clarinet (under protest), and I have a recording of Saint-Saens 2nd Piano Concerto, played by my piano teacher with the school orchestra, in which the clarinet (me) plays a solo phrase answering the piano at one point in the first movement.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #210 on: 11 Aug 2011, 16:39 »

@ pendrake
Re: Reply #197 on: Today at 03:08:23 PM

I agree with your assessment. Hanners has been the obvious companion since Faye's relationship with Angus has started consuming more time. As you said, that's probably a good thing. What has happened is very much a reflection of real life. Of course the characters noticing the change and re-evaluating their positions would be inline with the general introspective nature of the comic. Whether her presence in Marten's apartment was a red herring, a Freudian slip, or a subtle hint at things to come is something will have to wait for. For now, I'm not sure what it means.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 16:44 by Sylentknight »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #211 on: 11 Aug 2011, 17:01 »

To join in on the first concert pieces theme... mine was The Elephant from Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saëns). I'm far from a natural performer though. I was, and still get, pretty nervous.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #212 on: 11 Aug 2011, 17:30 »

The first time I played with more people was with my band one year ago. I was nervous as all hell in front of some 200+ people.
The cover we did for Opeth's song "Hope Leaves" turned up really good though!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #213 on: 11 Aug 2011, 17:41 »

All together now:  "Awwww."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #214 on: 11 Aug 2011, 17:42 »

Dawwwwww  Cute widdle Marten   :-D

I think he would do well as a music teacher.  I wonder if Hanners would be his assistant?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #215 on: 11 Aug 2011, 19:49 »

Chipping in for the money debate, because why not? Personally I find that I only need a certain amount of the stuff and then more spare time would be preferable. Would I find ways to spend more money? For sure, but I wouldn't actually work another shift to get that money when I could just stay home and watch cartoons. Survival doesn't take much financially especially when it's just me rooming with another adult with an income. Not like I'm looking to take on any dependents or anything.

Martin, like myself is hardly the most ambitious fellow. He rooms with Faye who contributes to the finances. He can afford superfluous electronics, to rent a practice place thing (word?), to drink on a regular basis and as a whole money just doesn't seem to be much of an issue for him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind more money, but I do have doubts that making more money would lead to a significant increase in happiness for him. I think that if he had to take on a job with more hours, less convenient hours, a higher workload, or even just a job where he wasn't working with friends to get it he wouldn't see the point. He's got a relatively easy job with good hours and Tai for company throughout that's just mildly eventful enough to have some stories from it. That's pretty hard to beat and seems quite neatly in line with his values.

As noted the band really is just a hobby for him. He doesn't have any big plans for it and that's fine. People often forget that artistic pursuits can be done just for personal enjoyment rather than as a path to success and profit. Seems odd, since "Success and Profit" would be a really backwards reason to take up such a craft, but whatever.

deathwing107

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #216 on: 11 Aug 2011, 20:04 »

The first time I played with more people was with my band one year ago. I was nervous as all hell in front of some 200+ people.
The cover we did for Opeth's song "Hope Leaves" turned up really good though!

Ever since High School, I've never had to do it anymore, but back then I played in my high school's concert/jazz band. It will probably be the only time I've had absolutely no fear playing in front of everyone. Forgive me for gloating, but I was good, and the whole band was good at what we did, and we all enjoyed every minute of it. I only ever got a slight knot in my stomach whenever I was asked to play a solo, but again once I started the solo, I felt absolutely no fear.

If I ever learned guitar, bass or drums and performed I'd probably have the same sentiment (I've never had the discipline to learn any instrument except for tenor trombone, even though I'd love to learn any of them)... but I can tell right now if I were ever to perform completely on my own I'd be scared shitless.

As for the comic...

Dawwwwww  Cute widdle Marten!

LunaCorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #217 on: 11 Aug 2011, 21:35 »

SQUEEEEEEEE @ Chibi Marten  :laugh:
~You can't plant roots and have wings too.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #218 on: 11 Aug 2011, 21:37 »

clarinet players in the forum represent

Seriously though, I switched to saxophone as soon as I was able.  Way easier, way cooler.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #219 on: 11 Aug 2011, 22:52 »

If Pennelope starts seriously pursuing her dreams, Dora will be 3-for-3 in inspiring people.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #220 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:25 »

If I ever learned guitar, bass or drums and performed I'd probably have the same sentiment (I've never had the discipline to learn any instrument except for tenor trombone, even though I'd love to learn any of them)... but I can tell right now if I were ever to perform completely on my own I'd be scared shitless.

The shitty part is that I totally forgot to play some of the first notes of the bass but not because I was nervous. I was just so into the stuff my other fellas were doing ahahahhaha.
During the song itself I wasn't really nervous but the whole "waiting for our turn" to play was awful. During that moment it happened the exact opposite thing Marten was talking about in some strip I can't remember when he said something like "it's hard to keep a boner when you are doing a solo".
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 01:28 by Mr. Doctor »

wrwight

• Furry furrier
    • My Music
« Reply #221 on: 12 Aug 2011, 01:48 »

clarinet players in the forum represent

Seriously though, I switched to saxophone as soon as I was able.  Way easier, way cooler.

word. I played clarinet for about a year and a half, then switched to alto sax for about 10

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #222 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:56 »

I played clarinet from grades 4-6, alto sax from grades 7-8, and tenor sax grades 9-11.  I do wish I had continued, but I haven't played in six years.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tanksenior

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #223 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:49 »

D'aww, Hannelore y u so cute? :angel:

What's up with all the adorable comics this week :roll:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #224 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:23 »

Don't know, but it\s been a cute week.

Just remember Marten, the tanks may take the bridge, but the infantry will hold it and the guns will make it easier for them - combined arms - its what's for breakfast.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #225 on: 12 Aug 2011, 04:28 »

First instrument I ever played was the tinwhistle. Hated it. It's one of the most annoying noises I've ever heard, even when played well. It's standard for primary school here to learn it at about age 7/8 but my secondary school teacher made us relearn it in third year (Age 14). Each individual student had to go the front of the class and play the assigned piece. In a class of 20+ uninterested teenage girls, this was a long, torturous time.
After that we learned piano (well, keyboard) and I loved it. My personal keyboard broke a few years ago and lack of funds meant I couldn't get a new one to keep playing. I've got a new keyboard since but never been able to bring up the same enthusiasm. Also the first song I played in front of people was When The Saints Go Marching In and because I'm tone deaf, learned the right hand movements and timing but wrong keys.

Now back to the comic!
I like when the comics calls back to itself. Makes me want to reread it. Also Hanners is rather adorable in the third panel.

I do miss the Marten/Faye banter but it is true her relationship is taking up more of her time. Now Marten's band, it's less likely there'll be time for their banter, at least on screen.

~Edit~
Also Monday's comic is my birth year. Huzzah!

~Edit2~
Just noticed the "Emoticontraindication" under my name. Don't understand it but it's neat.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 04:30 by Welu »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #226 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:15 »

If I read Comic 1990 cold, without knowing anything about the strip, I'd almost swear Panel 4 was a mom and dad talking about a daughter. OK, so a mom in my 'verse probably wouldn't say "hell of creepy douches," but still ...

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #227 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:22 »

For comic #1990...  (We have reached the '90s, nothing but Grunge-themed strips for the next nine...)

1. Panel #3 Hanners is indeed "D'awww"-ingly cute.  All that is missing is the proverbial cherry-on-top blushing for her.

2. "Torrid Heart"... Something so quietly amusing to see Faye reading a novel like that.

3. @Border Reiver - I would share breakfast with you, assuming we survive the Brunch-buffet counter-attack.

4. And in reference to comic title...

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011, 16:31 by pendrake »

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #228 on: 12 Aug 2011, 06:57 »

I laughed so hard at todays comic.

Lots of creepy dudes.

LOL
Carpe Diem

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #229 on: 12 Aug 2011, 07:26 »

And many of them are right here.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #230 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:14 »

Y'know, I could picture Marten as a music teacher. Especially for kids since he's so patient.

I've been secretly hoping that the end result of Marten exploring his musical passion would be a realization that teaching is what he wants to do, career-wise. Not anytime soon, of course. He needs to sow his wild, uh, notes. (I'm proud of myself for making a bad joke. Now to go worry about it for an hour. Haha.)

Honestly, though. You would be surprised (or not) by how much better life can be when you DO have a hobby. I work 40+ hour/week at a preschool. I love children, so this is great for me! I have a boyfriend who is sweet and thoughtful and goes out of his way to show that he loves me-- which is awesome! However, I have no hobbies. No real friends to go and see. I hardly ever leave the bedroom. I am not happy, even though I have such positive elements in my life. This, in turn, keeps me from fully enjoying my job and my relationship, etc. I think when someone finds something they really enjoy in life, it helps them in all other areas, too. If Marten feels that music is what makes him happy, and if this is really the case, he will probably find more satisfaction in other areas of his life, too-- and he MAY be more motivated to try new things. This could include new career moves-- or not. The point is, it takes more than a job or money to be happy, even when you have a job you like and enough money to be comfortable.

On the other hand, I think stoutfiles had a valid argument to start with. Marten really needs to take a look at his finances and figure out what his plans for the future are. That is never fun (okay, I actually have fun doing that sort of thing...), but he is reaching a point where he will have to consider some things. For example, what is going to happen if Faye moves out? I'm not saying she will anytime soon, but it is a possibility, and I would say an inevitability, at some point. I can't imagine that Marten would realistically be making as much at a campus library as he was at an office job (if I'm wrong on this, feel free to correct me). He had the apartment by himself before, but would he be able to do this now? What about savings? I think it would be good to see him struggling with those things a bit because that is something that would realistically happen. Whether or not Marten makes a career out of music, it would nice to see him think about the future, as well as finding something to make him happy and fulfilled in life. Which one takes priority depends on the person, though.

Anyways, this comic started off very music-oriented, so a return to music makes sense. If he does end up sticking with this, professionally or not, I think it would be interesting to see the progression from someone whose interest seemed to be listening to music to being the person out there playing the music.  :-)

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #231 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:43 »

A tank battalion. Not my first choice, but given Hanners' personality, that makes sense. But, as long as there is infantry and/or air support, it'll work well.

@DSL: I also can see a bizzaro alternate universe where Marten and Faye are the parents of Hannelore. It...is weird and strangely makes sense. :psyduck:
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #232 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:06 »

The rest of the cast has indeed been somewhat parental toward her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SirDudley

« Reply #233 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:17 »

To be fair, her biological parents are....not the most ideal parents. I mean, her father has yet to make a physical appearance in the strip and all we know about him is second-hand or third-hand knowledge from other people. And her mother is....well, "different"...let's leave it at that.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #234 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:25 »

At the very least, older sibling-al.

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #235 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:56 »

At the very least, older sibling-al.

I figure that everyone in the group will come out to cheer on Hanners. A very protective shield of Dora and Faye, backed up by Penelope and Raven should equate to about the same as single tank with an support squad against any creeps.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #236 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:49 »

Didn't laugh once this week and nothing happened to advance the plot. Jeph is asleep at the wheel.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #237 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:07 »

Best title reference we've had in a while.

On the downside I like banter and characters that banter well so this hasn't been the best week in terms of chuckles.  But the thought of George C. Scott playing Marten (or Marten playing Patton) makes up for it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #238 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:17 »

Something I'm unclear about.  In 1187, I had got the impression that they had just performed at that bar, but when they're talking about performing, Hanners is acting like she never had.  So in other words...how was Hanners flashing underpants action?  Just in practice?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #239 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:21 »

No, they're just drinking at the bar after the rehearsal in which Natasha dumped Amir and walked out.

rje

« Reply #240 on: 12 Aug 2011, 14:58 »

For comic #1990...  (We have reached the '90s, nothing but Grunge-themed strips for the next nine...)

omg we have, I didn't even notice
my formative years! (well 1993-1998 really)

I wonder if things are about to get

EXXTREEEEEEEME
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #241 on: 12 Aug 2011, 17:34 »

i can't see marten as a Patton Cosiplayer.    :-D

I think Marten, Faye et al are more of a surrogate family to Hanners.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #242 on: 12 Aug 2011, 17:53 »

Didn't laugh once this week and nothing happened to advance the plot. Jeph is asleep at the wheel.

Marten getting back into music is extremely important to the plot, I think. He's thinking about his future for the first time in quite awhile, and this is (or at least could be) the first step. Not to mention Hanners beginning to consider playing live, which is also important if Deathmole ever get to that point. Look a little closer, dear.

As for you not laughing, that sounds like a personal problem. Leave it out of the forums.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

SirDudley

« Reply #243 on: 12 Aug 2011, 19:16 »

omg we have, I didn't even notice
my formative years! (well 1993-1998 really)

EXXTREEEEEEEME
Liefeldian designs. Liefeldian designs, EVERYWHERE!

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #244 on: 12 Aug 2011, 20:39 »

Marten getting back into music is extremely important to the plot, I think. He's thinking about his future for the first time in quite awhile, and this is (or at least could be) the first step. Not to mention Hanners beginning to consider playing live, which is also important if Deathmole ever get to that point. Look a little closer, dear.

As for you not laughing, that sounds like a personal problem. Leave it out of the forums.

Your post is cleverer than the whole last week's worth of comics.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #245 on: 13 Aug 2011, 02:12 »

Well... This isn't like forcing oneself to read Dickens in Eng. Lit. You can always stop punishing yourself.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Nick and Marla

• Plantmonster
« Reply #246 on: 13 Aug 2011, 06:20 »

Yes, your opinion doesn't belong here.

Er...
If I'm being an jerk, I'm Nick.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #247 on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:21 »

I'm not sure whether it's my seldom-seen music nerdiness rearing its head, but I really appreciated this last week's worth of strips. I don't think Jeph is so much "asleep at the wheel" as "taking the scenic route". A route full of musical in-jokes and probably jabs at the forums. :P

And Hannelore's spastic leg was plenty funny in my opinion. ;D

rje

« Reply #248 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:44 »

http://images.wikia.com/thatguywiththeglasses/images/8/88/90s_kid.jpg
EXXTREEEEEEEME
Liefeldian designs. Liefeldian designs, EVERYWHERE!
*makes the sign of the cross and hisses* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
that man gives me hives, I've seen too much of him on Tumblr lately
(he's got a new series with Robert Kirkman even
for god's sake why do they keep letting him destroy the comic medium why)

@LoveJaneAusten
I'm honestly curious, is there a specific plot advancement you're referring to?
Just because I think the major plotlines that were going on have either been given a pretty full resolution (Marten/Dora) or some strong degree of advancement (Faye/Angus)
And if Marten actually doing something on his own isn't advancement I don't know what is
It kind of feels like one chapter closed and now we're onto the next, and maybe even more classic QC, y'know, strips just riffing on things, that's been pretty much a standard since it's started though

Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

westrim

« Reply #249 on: 13 Aug 2011, 10:09 »

I declare, a week of strips reintroducing and fleshing out the long defunct band plotline with a bit of Marten history and Hannelore horizon expanding is such a bore. Let me know when the rich marriageable men are involved so the plot gets interesting again!

*Goes back to reading stuffy old novels made infinitely better through judicious application of zombies and sea monsters.*

Also, I spy another dig at Hannelore fans in the last panel of the last comic of the week.

I may be a Southern Californian, but isn't it hellA?
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2011, 13:11 by westrim »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up