THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The band's first song of their first concert will be...

Hot Cross Buns
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Parabola
We Are The Waffles
They won't get that far

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week  (Read 72668 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week
« Reply #250 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:31 »

Yeah, I'm used to hella too, I think I've seen "hell of" in earlier QC strips, but I don't think I've ever seen it outside of QC.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #251 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:01 »

Ah, that makes sense. Thought that was just an oddly worded sentence. Like she was going all Wang Chi from Big Trouble in Little China on me. "You would send her to the hell of creepy douches hitting on her?! That's even worse than the hell of being cut into pieces! CoD has a lot of hells"

Hella though, don't know why that didn't click for me.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #252 on: 13 Aug 2011, 16:23 »

Faye's back to not using contractions again ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #253 on: 13 Aug 2011, 16:28 »

I didn't even know it was a California thing before today (just wiki'd it), since I knew it originally from South Park.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #254 on: 13 Aug 2011, 17:12 »

Didn't laugh once this week and nothing happened to advance the plot. Jeph is asleep at the wheel.

Marten getting back into music is extremely important to the plot, I think. He's thinking about his future for the first time in quite awhile, and this is (or at least could be) the first step. Not to mention Hanners beginning to consider playing live, which is also important if Deathmole ever get to that point. Look a little closer, dear.

As for you not laughing, that sounds like a personal problem. Leave it out of the forums.
Yes, your opinion doesn't belong here.

Er...

I wasn't trying to say that; mostly I was trying to highlight how presumptuous it was for LoveJaneAusten to outright declare that this week's strips were essentially useless when they're not. Maybe I was a little too snippy about it, but certain people should think a little harder before they judge.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #255 on: 13 Aug 2011, 18:47 »

I wonder if things are about to get
http://images.wikia.com/thatguywiththeglasses/images/8/88/90s_kid.jpg
EXXTREEEEEEEME
Liefeldian designs. Liefeldian designs, EVERYWHERE!
*makes the sign of the cross and hisses* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
that man gives me hives, I've seen too much of him on Tumblr lately
(he's got a new series with Robert Kirkman even
for god's sake why do they keep letting him destroy the comic medium why)
My work here is done. :evil:
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #256 on: 14 Aug 2011, 16:17 »

The problem with Deathmole is that they don't have a front (wo)man; Marten and Hanners are moderate-to-extreme introverts, and Amir is pretty laid-back.  The closest they had was (what's-her-name), the chick who couldn't play worth a damn and was punk-proud of it.  That went out as a success strategy in the late 80's.  Say what you will about lead-singer "diva"-ness, some degree of that sort of Type-A drive is necessary.  Even if one only plays the role onstage, someone HAS to play it!

Deathmole doesn't have a lyricist, none of them have inclination for songwriting.  They're just noodling around on their instruments.  Sven could write for them, but he'd have to be sitting in with them, collaborating, participating in whatever their artistic process actually is.  Most real bands write their own.  Pro songwriters can dash off tunes for Lady Gaga or Rihanna without face-time because they are well-known stylistic quantities.  And Deathmole possibly hasn't even figured out what its style really is.  Paying Sven what he's worth (even when he just squats out commercially-acceptable stuff like clockwork) will be impossible on an indie startup budget.

Some bands do amazingly well as three-piece (less than that just isn't sufficient, White Stripes notwithstanding). Deathmole is still missing elements.  They need a poetry/lyric writing lead guitarist and/or singer, which with some solid (but perhaps not spectacular) musical chops.  They haven't put their finger on that lack, beyond "we ought to replace what's-her-name one of these days".  They haven't found anyone in their current circle of acquaintances, but don't appear to have been looking all that hard.  If you can't find a friend who fits the bill, hit the classifieds and gamble with a stranger.  Or a series of strangers until you find one that does fit.  If you prefer the personal touch, check the corkboard at the local instrument shop, or hit local shows and schmooze the scene.

Marten will probably be happier shifting role to rhythm guitarist (with maybe an occasional solo to assuage his music sensitivities).  Amir plays bass I presume?  I don't remember and it's a god-awful lot of comics to review to find.

They also might be aiming themselves at the wrong style of music, starting with the band's name.  How much metal or metal influence are they trying to pack into their sound?

They might be trying to sound like Divyded when being something like The Everyday Motive would suit their artistic and personal sensibilities better.  Yes, I'm using regional bands I like for examples, don't hate on that.

But again, this goes back to them not just picking a target and going for it, but picking a suitable target!
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 21:34 by Shremedy »
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #257 on: 14 Aug 2011, 17:48 »

They also might be aiming themselves at the wrong style of music, starting with the band's name.  How much metal or metal influence are they trying to pack into their sound?
Do we even know if they're still calling themselves Deathmole? That name only became official due to a threatened sex life.
Quis pater tibi est?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #258 on: 14 Aug 2011, 18:15 »

Yes, Amir plays bass.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #259 on: 14 Aug 2011, 20:19 »

Some bands do amazingly well as three-piece (less than that just isn't sufficient, White Stripes notwithstanding). Deathmole is still missing elements.  They need a poetry/lyric writing lead guitarist and/or singer, which some solid (but perhaps not spectacular) musical chops.  They haven't put their finger on that lack, beyond "we ought to replace what's-her-name one of these days".  They haven't found anyone in their current circle of acquaintances, but don't appear to have been looking all that hard.

The Dresden Dolls is another two person band that was good. Of course, their sound isn't everyone cup of tea, but that was due to music style, not to the fact that the band was a two-piece.

I could see Sven joining the band or asking them to work out some of his other songs. Just because he makes all his money writing trashy country songs doesn't mean that he doesn't write other types of music too. I don't think Sven would charge them for his services as long as they're not dictating the type of songs to him. Another alternative would be Sven deciding to start a solo career and hiring Marten &co. as his backup band.

Shremedy

« Reply #260 on: 14 Aug 2011, 21:30 »

You don't "need" lyrics for great music, Shremedy.
Granted - but you need lyrics to play music professionally before an audience.  Unless you're a string quartet, chamber orchestra, or jazz ensemble.  Which  they ain't.
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #261 on: 15 Aug 2011, 00:52 »

Nice picture of a string quartet.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mark7

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #262 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:06 »

You don't "need" lyrics for great music, Shremedy.
Granted - but you need lyrics to play music professionally before an audience.  Unless you're a string quartet, chamber orchestra, or jazz ensemble.  Which  they ain't.

*cough*TheVentures*cough*
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #263 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:19 »

Oh, come on.

Music "works" on so many different levels in lots of different setups for all kinds of people.

To simply state "that and that combination doesn't work" is too easy.

What Shremedy is aiming at is, I guess, that a certain kind of band-constellation works best for a certain kind of market-segment.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #264 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:26 »

Nice picture of a string quartet.

Really? Hhm. I assumed a string quartet implied only four strings, not three + drums.
Whoosh

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #265 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:31 »

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/daschakal/00/explosions-in-the-sky.jpg

No, you don't.

I mean, you're ignoring a lot of music out there.

It's kinda weird that at first I thought this was Brontide, an English instrumental post-rock band. Turns out it is an American instrumental post-rock band who just look the same.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #266 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:31 »

And I don't think they would be aiming at whatever kind of market-segment he had in mind.

Yea,
that´s kinda what I wanted to imply :-)

Then again, there´s always been bands with "different" setups who made it on the popular-music market.
The Doors didn't have a bassist.. I didn't realize that until a bandmate pointed it out. And still they were regarded as a kind of "classic" rockband.
Then there´s the White Stripes of course, who basically emulated the sound of some local group from Detroit (can't remember the name, but Jack White said as much in a documentary) who also played blues with just really distorted guitar + drums.

I think string quartet usually means 2 violins, 1 viola and 1 violincello
2Vl, 1Va, 1Vc... if you want to get all "music librarian" about it ;-)

2 guitars, banjo and drums sounds more like bluegrass.. alltough there´s people who´d argue that bluegrass means there are not to be any drums involved.. it´s all negotiable in the end :-)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #267 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:42 »

"String quartet" means precisely that; my remark was of course ironic, as I presume everyone has realised.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #268 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:14 »

I'd like to see Marigold wearing something other than the green pants and the grey shirt.

I know she has other clothes...she's so beautiful, it's like Jeph doesn't want her to be or something. *sigh*
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #269 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:49 »

Maybe she'll be more flexible now that she got positive feedback about how she looks in a dress.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #270 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:48 »

Yeah, but she probably feels that dresses are for special occasions (like parties and such).  She was probably on a raid and needed caffeine, not like she needs to put on her finery for that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shremedy

« Reply #271 on: 15 Aug 2011, 17:24 »

@tender, just what point are you trying to make?  What are you actually disagreeing with?  I don't recognize the pictured band, so your example is wasted bandwidth.

I'm not IGNORING any particular genres of music, I'm discarding them as unsuitable or inapplicable to what Deathmöle would conceivably be creating!  I'm saying that if they want to play at bars or other cool, popular (and most importantly, moneymaking, the whole point of being a "pro") venues  -- they need a lyricist and/or a lead singer.  None of the existing members are lead singer material.  I think we can agree on THAT, right? 

Unless their target gigs are art galleries, symphony halls, hotel lobbies, or other places where they will merely be instrumental background, aka "elevator music".  That's what I was trying to say with my earlier examples of typically instrumental-only groups.  Deathmöle AIN'T IN THOSE CATEGORIES!

I'm not talking strike-it-rich moneymaking, just enough to fill the band van's gas tank (they DO have a van, right?  Or a trailer?  If they don't it's another sign that they're nothing more than dilettantes), buy some fast food for everyone following the gig, and maybe (if it's far enough from home) pay for a hotel room. 

Whatever ELSE the hypothetical lyricist/lead singer adds to the mix -- vocals, guitar, keyboard, theremin, blue-man-group tubulum -- is frankly IRRELEVANT to my point, which seem to be being missed here, but would be a very useful enrichment to their existing sound.  At absolute bare minimum, they need a lead singer and a lyricist.  Best if those roles were combined in a single person.  That is the sum total of my point.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #272 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:00 »

I'm saying that if they want to play at bars or other cool, popular (and most importantly, moneymaking, the whole point of being a "pro") venues
Because there's nothing cool about venues where non-vocal music is played? And nobody makes a living in those styles? If you're not meaning to be dismissive of every style of professional music other than band-with-vocalist, you're maybe not getting that point across.  :-)

Edit: Fixed stupid punctuation error.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2011, 19:20 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #273 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:13 »

I'm saying that if they want to play at bars or other cool, popular (and most importantly, moneymaking, the whole point of being a "pro") venues  -- they need a lyricist and/or a lead singer. 

Yes, and everyone else is saying "no they don't" - what part of that are you not catching?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #274 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:28 »

We don't really know the band's market segment, do we? Does the band even know?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #275 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:34 »

I doubt it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #276 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:41 »

They've barely contemplated playing professionally, so I don't see how they could know.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #277 on: 15 Aug 2011, 19:10 »

So we don't know what their musical needs are, though we should all be able to agree that having a vocalist would expand their options.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #278 on: 15 Aug 2011, 19:19 »

Yes. My guess is that some are taking the word "need" (as in "need a vocalist") more literally than others.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #279 on: 16 Aug 2011, 13:41 »

I'm not terribly big on music. Not what you'd call an audiophile, but even I'm at the very least aware that rocking out doesn't always require one to sing. They got guitar, drums and bass. If they can't put a show on with that then they're probably not quite ready anyway. A quick google search revealed these guys who seem to do alright for themselves with less. Their wikipedia article uses the descriptors "Math Rock" and "Experimental Rock" which both sound like things Marten likes to the uneducated ear (I seriously have no idea).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up