THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "I'm OCDelightful" tshirt! Who else wants one?  (Read 13295 times)

einsteinx2

• Not quite a lurker
"I'm OCDelightful" tshirt! Who else wants one?
« on: 14 Aug 2011, 14:20 »

I've been reading back through the comic and came across #1585 where Hanelore has a "I'm OCDelightful" t-shirt on. I didn't see it for sale in the merch shop. I would love that t-shirt in real life. Who else is with me?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: "I'm OCDelightful" tshirt! Who else wants one?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2011, 14:44 »

Welcome, new person!

You're not alone: others have requested it. Jeph said on Twitter he'd be doing one: http://twitter.com/#!/jephjacques/status/8060119808. That was a while ago, though.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2011, 14:56 »

I think I remember a later tweet about this saying he had also gotten some negative feedback about the potential for a shirt--that it makes light of a serious condition--and that he agreed and decided against making the shirt.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

einsteinx2

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2011, 15:19 »

Welcome, new person!
Heh just realized this was my first post, thanks for the welcome. :-D

I think I remember a later tweet about this saying he had also gotten some negative feedback about the potential for a shirt--that it makes light of a serious condition--and that he agreed and decided against making the shirt.

:( aww that sucks... I guess I understand where they're coming from, but I think these days OCD is used colloquially quite often to refer to any compulsive behavioral traits, like for instance starting to read a coming at #1 because your bored and not being able to stop until you finish them all ;) or having to have your code spaced and commented in a particular way or else it really bothers you and you MUST change it or it hurts your brain (or one of the other 100s of marginally OCD things I do lol). I know there's a real disorder that involves things like having to wash your hands 10 times and whatnot, but at least these days it's used just as often to refer to what I'm talking about.

Too bad, I'd love this shirt. Maybe I'll just have one made myself...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:52 »

I have mild OCD and I could care less if someone made fun of it. It makes me......special in a way. :oops:

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2011, 07:15 »

I have mixed feelings on this one.

It is a cute saying, and Hanners seems to have fully embrassed her condition, but at the same time, Hanners does get medical help for it.

To me the concern would be that by making light of it, people might think it's not serious and they don't need help, even if it is impacting their lives.

I think it comes down to the issue of do you embrace a disability or do you try to cure it?

sharpreed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2011, 07:55 »

I think it is all a matter of the mentality of where you are from. I mean a disability in one area is praised as an admirable attribute in another. Everyone has their own little eccentricities and its time that we stop trying to "cure" everyone and instead learn how to use these qualities to benefit ourselves and others instead of letting them become self-destructive. I for one think that by poking fun at the idea if you are ocd helps you realize that is a small part of who you are that makes you so. Its a first step in getting over it. That being said, if Jeph doesn't make the shirt that's not stopping any one of us from going to any of the hundreds of sites out there and making it ourselves.

einsteinx2

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:52 »

I think it is all a matter of the mentality of where you are from. I mean a disability in one area is praised as an admirable attribute in another. Everyone has their own little eccentricities and its time that we stop trying to "cure" everyone and instead learn how to use these qualities to benefit ourselves and others instead of letting them become self-destructive. I for one think that by poking fun at the idea if you are ocd helps you realize that is a small part of who you are that makes you so. Its a first step in getting over it. That being said, if Jeph doesn't make the shirt that's not stopping any one of us from going to any of the hundreds of sites out there and making it ourselves.
I agree with you partially. Mild OCD (like what I have) is actually a positive personality trate and I don't think I should be treated. The only reason I've been such a successful programmer and database/systems admin is because of my compulsive tendencies. On the flip side though, very strong OCD can be serious burden on a person's life and cause a lot of stress and unhappiness and it wouldn't be wrong of them at all to seek treatment.

With that said, I'm not one of those people that lives my life avoiding any possibility of offending other people. There are many more people with borderline OCD tendencies or mild OCD than there are people with serious OCD, and I'm more likely to run into those people while wearing the shirt. I'm probably going to get one made online, if I do, I'll post here if anyone else wants one from the same design.

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:30 »

I have seen shirts for sale along the lines of:

"I'm CDO.  It's like OCD, but the letters are in order, like they're supposed to be."

einsteinx2

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:44 »

I have seen shirts for sale along the lines of:

"I'm CDO.  It's like OCD, but the letters are in order, like they're supposed to be."

Haha that's a great one

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2011, 18:52 »

I have had symptoms of OCD my entire life. When I was a baby, I had to have two pacifiers (called 'em Nookies) on each hand (Yes, you read that right) and one in my mouth. At all times. I had a stockpile of them of sorts. So if I dropped one or was forced to let one be cleaned, I could crawl over to the thing, open it up, and get another one. Even before I could speak, I remember feeling proud of my stockpile.

When I finally stopped wanting them (If I remember correctly, that was a hard battle of me vs. parents), I moved on to other things: toys. If they were small, I wanted one for each hand. You have no idea how many toys we have three of (one for my sister, of course).

Time went on. I became obsessed with doing well in school enough that my parents stopped paying me for good grades because they knew I'd do it anyway. (Yep, that was elementary school.)

Middle school: We had notebooks that stayed in the classroom for a particular class. I organized all four of those shelves before leaving. Every day. (Also, this class was technology-related, so I had it for a semester every year. So, every day for half of each school year for three years, I did this.) And that was when I only had 5 minutes between classes. Every academic or rule-related thing in middle school was a big deal. I also had a thing about even numbers and scratching both arms if only one itched (for example) for quite a while. And hand-washing = big deal. (I would go in further detail on that, but I think this post is making me look weird enough as is.)

It was sometime in middle school (when I got more obsessive about the notebooks) that I first heard of OCD. After that, I've taken notice of other things that I've done through life that indicate it. In high school, I began to try and control it, and I have really battled it hard since entering college.

But at no point has it severely affected my life. Yeah, it's caused some quite a few inconveniences (like running back to my dorm room to make sure it's locked), but I've come to embrace it, especially now that I've developed ways to keep myself from obsessing over things (such as intentionally putting a stack in a mess because it's supposed to be that way, not straight--totally intended to be crooked).

I know that's probably too much information about my life, but I'm on pain meds right now and don't really care. What I'm getting at is that it's okay to embrace your brain, even if it has problems, as long as you are living life in a way that makes you happy.

What I'm getting at in regards to the shirt: I would like the shirt because it would be a fun way to show my pride of my strangeness that has gotten me a job as a copy editor for my college newspaper and will continue to get me jobs where I can spot and fix other people's grammar and spelling and such. (Everybody needs a good editor for their books!) Just like Hanners, my OCD became a benefit when I realized I could use it to help people! :-D I don't want an official diagnosis. I don't want a medication for it. I can't imagine living without it because it enhances my life. Anyone can be OCDelightful if they can find the way(s) for it to help them, too.

(Sorry for the verbal spew, but it's really hard to talk right now because of the wisdom teeth removal I had today, so I think that frustration is leaking over into needing to type even more than I normally do.)

OCD really can be a problem for some people. But realizing you're overcoming it is the best part. I understand the concern of making light of it, but those of us with these problems... We really want--or maybe even need--to make light of it. The best way to feel better about frustrating things is to laugh about them. If you can't do something about something, then you might as well make the best of it. And that's the spirit I see in the shirt.

If anyone does make the shirt, then please, please let me know. I would really love to have one.

(Edit: I realized I wanted to say something else after I posted this. I tried to resist, but I kept feeling the itch saying I needed to go back. Darn perfectionism/OCD. >_> Anyway, I just wanted to add that the things I mentioned are not the only symptoms I've demonstrated. They're just some of the over-arching trends that show that OCD has been around my whole life. Everything gets replaced by a new obsessive-compulsion. I can only assume that's what happens when you mature and need something to take the place of the old one. The having-two-toys thing lasted a fair amount of years, but it came to a fairly abrupt halt when everyone started pushing me to be as mature and smart and interesting as my sister who is three years older than me. WHY CAN'T I SHUT UP?)

(Last addition, for realz this time... I noticed that people were talking about things that looked like OCD but were more of childhood quirks. I think that was where I was planning on going in the other edit but forgot. The stuff I did in my childhood weren't just quirks. It was definite obsessive-compulsion. These things had to be done, or ... something bad would happen. I know a lot of people with OCD have a specific reason why they have a compulsion, but the rational side of my brain never allowed for that--it just said I had to do it, because then the anxiety or itch would go away. The first time I realized the notebooks were all a mess and that no one was going to fix them, I felt uneasy the rest of the day. I was unable to go back to the classroom and thought about it all night, because I was battling insomnia, too. >_< The next day, I couldn't wait to get to the class so I could fix them. I was going to fix the notebooks we weren't using before class started, but the O-C for being in my seat as soon as I got to class won over because a lot of my teachers were strict about being in the seat when the bell rang. They didn't care if you'd been in the classroom five minutes before class started--if you weren't in your seat, then you were late. As if it wasn't bad enough that I had these O-Cs on my own... GAH, sorry for the long post and long additions. I always feel like I have to add as much as possible for clarification so people won't read it the wrong way. :/ Still working on that one. Sorry again about the long life story and such, but I'm hoping it will help the case for the shirt. I ... just realized I don't know why I think that. But here's hoping anyway. Stupid surgery.)
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2011, 19:16 by LoliBot »
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2011, 21:21 »

Speedy recovery! Ice packs really work. Anecdotal evidence supports using Vitamin C, and considering what it does in healthy people, that totally makes sense.

Facing mental health challenges with humor.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2011, 22:07 »

Thank you, Is it cold in here? :) Hmm, I have some Vitamin C cough drop-type things. Will have to see about those tomorrow. ^.^ Once the numbness finally wore off and I'd taken two different meds, I started feeling a lot better. Mostly sleepy. I've been reading stuff on the Internet most of the day, and I just realized I've spent more time on the QC forums today than I have since I joined. :mrgreen: (I am being literal. Thanks for keeping me smiling today, forumites!)

Ah, yes, I forgot about that strip! That's exactly the sort of thing I appreciate. I started feeling like my body was intentionally trying to destroy me in middle school (underweight, asthma and allergies at their worst, depression, etc.), and then one day, years later, I realized I could say the same thing as a joke. Definitely keeps me going! I think the worst physical problems I've had are easier to laugh off most days because it's funny to me that someone my age is having them (kidney stones and arthritis in particular). Still getting there on other mental issues insomnia and depression in particular, but I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac and am beginning to worry about Schizoid Personality Disorder. D:), but I'm a tryin'!

One of the best things I can say for myself is that I'm able to tell people, "Look, I've been through [insert thing]. If I can do it, then so can you." My long-standing standoff with Mr. Surgery is finally done! And it wasn't too awful. I almost had to have surgery (ear infections) when I was in third grade, and I've been terrified of it since then. It feels good to have something else under my belt that I can use to comfort others with. :)

(Also, I know I've listed a ton of things that I have problems with, but I do live fairly normally! Really! My campus is awesome for exercise, and I do try to spend time with friends. I'm also not nearly as sickly looking as it would seem. Most people are surprised when I tell them even just one of the things I have to fight every day.)

Formerly LoliButt.

einsteinx2

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2011, 22:55 »

I have had symptoms of OCD my entire life...
LoliBot, thanks so much for replying! You explained my sentiments exactly! And no need to apologize for the long post :)

Looks like we're on the same page. My personal experience with OCD is more mild, but it has affected me my entire life (mostly in negative ways when I was growing up). Like you I realized that many of the things inherent in my OCD tendencies, such as high attention to detail, irrational need for organization, etc have turned out to be great work skills and have been the main reason I've been successful, so I'm actually proud of my personality and wouldn't want to be "fixed".

I'm going to work on a design for this and I'll PM you went I get it printed if you want to get one too.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2011, 19:50 »

I'm glad you've found what works for you with your OCD! ^.^ It's good to know there are others on the same page as me.

Sure, that would be good--thank you!

Formerly LoliButt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up