THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teachers Be Crazy  (Read 27166 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Teachers Be Crazy
« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:23 »

Do they have a set curriculum for those subjects? Or just subject areas you need to be able to show you're covering? Because actually that list pretty much covers what I think everyone needs to know anyway. I'm particularly impressed that there's a requirement to teach knowledge of the home and of society, because I'm not convinced we're actually taught that in schools here! My cookery lessons taught me the many and varied skills of making tea, toast and fruit salad. And I know not everyone is religious, or even most people, but a basic understanding of the major religions makes it much easier to understand the news and current affairs, for example.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2011, 15:05 »

Re: TB tests, I got one of the standard tests and tested positive when I volunteered at a hospital when I was in high school, but they realized I'd always get false positives (and this was one), just like the earlier poster's dad.  So they gave me a form that gets me out of taking the test (because it'd be worthless).  The most recent example was when I got my sub license, I showed them that form (a few months ago), and they didn't make me take an additional test, they just waived the requirement.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #152 on: 12 Jun 2011, 15:29 »

Do they have a set curriculum for those subjects? Or just subject areas you need to be able to show you're covering? Because actually that list pretty much covers what I think everyone needs to know anyway. I'm particularly impressed that there's a requirement to teach knowledge of the home and of society, because I'm not convinced we're actually taught that in schools here! My cookery lessons taught me the many and varied skills of making tea, toast and fruit salad. And I know not everyone is religious, or even most people, but a basic understanding of the major religions makes it much easier to understand the news and current affairs, for example.

"knowledge of the home" is just a poor translation, it's basically cooking class. The society thing is more... I guess it didn't leave a lasting impression, but at least I know we got through all of the political parties and what they stand for, a lot of stuff about multiculturalism, and such. I think history is showed in there until you get to high school, so that's a pretty big part.

There's a curriculum that's more exact than that. I think the idea is that you go to the local school and loan all the appropriate books for the classes your kid would've taken (they are free for everyone until you're finished with high school now), and use them either directly, or as a way to know what stuff your kids are supposed to know.

I think I'm one of the last generations to get the shot against TB here, they've stopped giving it to you unless you have family in risk areas.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #153 on: 12 Jun 2011, 15:37 »

Australian NSW HS curriculum covers multiculturalism and such in geography. There's a bit about politics and the electoral system but that's part of a Commerce elective so it's not covered or known by many other students (the only friend I have who knows as much about this as I do just got naturalised in the past year or so). HS technology courses have a "food technology" component which is basics of cooking, safety and hygiene. They also have a wood and metal work component but some schools (mostly private girls schools like KRB, where my sister went) don't have it at all.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 12 Jun 2011, 16:21 »

"knowledge of the home" is just a poor translation, it's basically cooking class.

We used to call that Domestic Science.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #155 on: 12 Jun 2011, 18:42 »

It's called Home Economics on this side of the pond, or at least it was.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lila

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #156 on: 12 Jun 2011, 19:52 »

They call it Family and Consumer Science now (at least in Massachusetts)

There was this one day when I was in like fourth or fifth grade that was really cold in the morning when I walked to school, but by the time we went out for recess it was warm enough that I didn't need my coat when I was running around chasing things. So, naturally, some teacher who didn't know me told me to put on a coat. I told her that I wasn't cold and thanked her for worrying about me and ran off.
She chased after me with my coat and told me that I'd get a cold if I didn't put on my coat.
I was kind of a snotty and over-educated elementary school-er, so I informed her that being cold doesn't give you colds, germs give you colds, and people get colds when it's cold out because they're inside with other people and it's more likely that they'll get sick.
She made me put on my coat anyway.
So I wore the hood but nothing else and when I ran around it flew behind me like a cape. I felt like an anarchist rebel, she gave me the stink-eye, but she couldn't do anything to me because I actually was wearing my coat.
You know as much about Shakespeare as a chicken knows about tic-tac-toe!

öde

« Reply #157 on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:23 »

I'm particularly impressed that there's a requirement to teach knowledge of the home and of society, because I'm not convinced we're actually taught that in schools here!

I had Physical Health and Social Education (PHSE) in school. I don't actually remember much from it, but we were taught a bit about condoms and STDs, and some discussion about society and philosophy and stuff (as much as 11-14 year old boys can manage). Although it had one of my favourite teachers, I hardly remember anything from it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #158 on: 13 Jun 2011, 04:41 »

I remember learning a lot about drugs in middle school health, but what I remember most about high school health was a video my senior year of kids our age giving birth...complete with close-up of the final moment.  Not a fun thing to view.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #159 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:54 »

I think that somebody here just more or less translated "home economics" to Finnish, for that's what it was called (30 some years ago, when I had the pleasure of attending such a class). I love the term "Domestic science", though.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #160 on: 13 Jun 2011, 14:22 »

They should change Domestic Science to "Science for Hungry People"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #161 on: 13 Jun 2011, 20:56 »

+1 internet
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #162 on: 13 Jun 2011, 22:26 »

Let's see...

1) In 10th grade I had a biology teacher who was a creationist, tried to sabotage lessons on evolution, refused to acknowledge several students when they wanted to avoid dissections for moral reasons, even though state regs require him to provide them with an assignment of equal workload and credit, to the point where I confronted him in front of the class and told him that if he didn't change it I'd notify the head of the schools department as well as report him for violating state regulations. Not to mention that he rarely carried his gradebook with him, frequently neglected to record information, rarely looked at what was handed in, and every class was him reading off of premade overhead gels or putting in a video.

2) In 7th grade I had a social studies teacher who would rarely mention assignment due dates except on the day assigned and the day due, even if the assignment was a 2 month thing or something similar. She also saw a student reading in class, tore the book from his hands and hurled it at the wall, someone else shouting 'Duck' is the only reason why said book didn't hit me. She also offered tutoring to students who had trouble, however she put them on a lower priority than talking to people on the phone and other things, then, after the time had passed and the student was still having trouble would say 'well I helped you in tutoring' no, no she did not.

3) I had a HomeEc teacher in 6th grade who was a militant vegetarian, not only did she insult anyone who ate meat she put up stuff from PETA in the classroom but she also put up graphic pictures of animals being slaughtered and stuff written from 'the animals perspective' in a means to make us go to a 'more moral' position and if anyone said anything she became self righteous and said that we had no right to judge her behavior.

4) In 7th grade I had just had someone grab my hands and empty two hot glue guns onto my palms, causing them to become giant blisters, my math teacher told me that I could either take the test with hands that could barely hold a pencil without the plisters popping or me turning anything I made into illegible scrawl or I could get a 0 for the test, please note that she saw my blisters, she simply said that it shouldn't matter.

5) In College I was in a humanities course where the professor (oh and this is a non religious school btw) spent most of the classes talking alternately about what a wonderful and kind and great person she was and all that and how Christianity was the only true religion and any other religion in the world was made up by demons. Also that all Muslims needed to publically apologize to the citizens of the united states and that all atheists are amoral monsters who would murder the moment they got the chance. She also banned recording devices in class, for those wondering why she was still teaching.

6) In a different college, after transferring from the former one, I was in a political philosophy class where one student had to miss a week because her mother had died and she went back to attend the funeral. The professor does not accept papers by email. Well, the time she (the student) was gone the papers were due for an assignment, she got it back as soon as she returned, the professor told her "You get half credit, and be grateful that I'm generous enough to offer that' in front of the class. Oh, also if someones cell phone went off she would dock everones grade 5 points, and she did a random spin wheel to determine if there would be a pop quiz, and if she felt we went too long sans quiz she would say 'too bad, you get one anyway' the last one is more weird quirk, but still.

These are all the ones I can think of off hand
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #163 on: 14 Jun 2011, 02:17 »

Either you grew up in a brutal dictatorship or you made half of those up.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #164 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:23 »

Either you grew up in a brutal dictatorship or you made half of those up.

Nope, all are true, I can tell you each school and can name most of the teachers too.

Edit: I'm guessing the last two are the most suprising, but if a professor gets tenure they're hard to remove and unless you can get proof IE a recording or something similar it's nigh impossible to have them fired for anything short of criminal action. I actually support tenure and keeping professors, even if it does mean that some barnacles get to hang on.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2011, 04:28 by Blackjoker »
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #165 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:23 »

I choose number 4, for most bat-shit insane. Though number 6 isn't far behind in that race.

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #166 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:33 »

I choose number 4, for most bat-shit insane. Though number 6 isn't far behind in that race.

Yeah that was not a fun day, the teacher where the glue incident happened got me to the nurse quickly, the guy who did it to me was expelled about two weeks later after he tried to bring a gun to school. It was not the teacher herself that did the glue to the hands thing (or himself in the case of the tech-ed teacher where the gluing incident happened). The teacher argued that my hands looked like they could still hold a pencil and that she wasn't going to just give me a pass since it wasn't bad enough for me to be sent home. In that view I guess I can sort of see her logic, but it didn't make it any less problematic, then again I didn't care much anyway since I was barely passing the class as is.

Number 6 was...yeah she was a real piece of work. She did a little patrol walk while she spoke, I think to make sure that none of us had tape recorders or anything else out that could record what she said, this was back during the infancy of cell phones so all the fun stuff where you can just rig them to record what's said wasn't available. I haven't checked to see what's become of her, though I did tell the department head and was told that there were other complaints about her but that they couldn't take action without evidence and when I mentioned the recording ban the department head cringed. My hope is that someone with a cellphone caught one of her rants.

Zingoleb

« Reply #167 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:28 »

5) In College I was in a humanities course where the professor (oh and this is a non religious school btw) spent most of the classes talking alternately about what a wonderful and kind and great person she was and all that and how Christianity was the only true religion and any other religion in the world was made up by demons. Also that all Muslims needed to publically apologize to the citizens of the united states and that all atheists are amoral monsters who would murder the moment they got the chance.

Oh my god you were taught by my mother

number four terrified me until I realized a student did the glue gunning, not a teacher.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #168 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:44 »

I don't know, my first secondary school had stuff like that happen and the second one sometimes did. At the first one, one of the teachers snapped and started hitting a student (who I would also have quite happily hit, and did in fact slap in the face once - she was at my primary school too and the fact that I remember her a decade later is testament to how much of a misery she made my life). I vaguely remember a group of us going to the head of year to complain about him and I think he was fired in the end. From talking to the kids in my church choir, I think there's always a teacher in every school that snaps with the stress. There's been at least one in every school I've been to. Not an easy job.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #169 on: 14 Jun 2011, 21:19 »

6) In a different college, after transferring from the former one, I was in a political philosophy class where one student had to miss a week because her mother had died and she went back to attend the funeral. The professor does not accept papers by email. Well, the time she (the student) was gone the papers were due for an assignment, she got it back as soon as she returned, the professor told her "You get half credit, and be grateful that I'm generous enough to offer that' in front of the class. Oh, also if someones cell phone went off she would dock everones grade 5 points, and she did a random spin wheel to determine if there would be a pop quiz, and if she felt we went too long sans quiz she would say 'too bad, you get one anyway' the last one is more weird quirk, but still.
Apart from the professor humiliating the student publicly, none of this strikes me as all that heinous. When I was at uni, the basic policy was that ill-health of the student (backed up by a doctor's certificate) was the only acceptable excuse/reason for late submission of work. Most lecturers would cut some slack if they were approached about a problem before the deadline for submission, but were pretty flint-hearted if presented with a fait accompli after it. Mostly you were expected to put your work first.

On the mobile phone thing, students who are too lazy, selfish, or careless to turn off or silence their phones before class are very annoying, and your professor had obviously decided to recruit the power of peer-pressure since her own words had presumably been ignored in the past. Did it work?

Random pop-quizes? Nothing crazy with that at all. Spinning a dial is a bit theatrical, but many good teachers are.

If I'd been the professor, I would have covered these points with my students at the beginning of the semester. Beyond that, college students are supposed to be adults. As one of my profs put it on the first day of my freshman year, "I am not your mother. I am not your friend. I am not here to make your life easier. I am here to see that you master the course material, or fail you if you don't." He was actually one of my best lecturers, but I would not have dared to submit work to him late.

The other instances were pretty crazy, and the hot glue burns case verges on abusive. I mean, failure to treat burns, never mind the maths test thing?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #170 on: 14 Jun 2011, 22:04 »

Apart from the professor humiliating the student publicly, none of this strikes me as all that heinous. When I was at uni, the basic policy was that ill-health of the student (backed up by a doctor's certificate) was the only acceptable excuse/reason for late submission of work. Most lecturers would cut some slack if they were approached about a problem before the deadline for submission, but were pretty flint-hearted if presented with a fait accompli after it. Mostly you were expected to put your work first.

On the mobile phone thing, students who are too lazy, selfish, or careless to turn off or silence their phones before class are very annoying, and your professor had obviously decided to recruit the power of peer-pressure since her own words had presumably been ignored in the past. Did it work?

Random pop-quizes? Nothing crazy with that at all. Spinning a dial is a bit theatrical, but many good teachers are.

If I'd been the professor, I would have covered these points with my students at the beginning of the semester. Beyond that, college students are supposed to be adults. As one of my profs put it on the first day of my freshman year, "I am not your mother. I am not your friend. I am not here to make your life easier. I am here to see that you master the course material, or fail you if you don't." He was actually one of my best lecturers, but I would not have dared to submit work to him late.

The other instances were pretty crazy, and the hot glue burns case verges on abusive. I mean, failure to treat burns, never mind the maths test thing?

The thing was she WAS made aware. She was told about it before the student left, she had even asked about turning in the paper early and was told that it was unacceptable. The spin dial for pop quizzes felt stupid and frankly it was rote memorization of random bits from the reading. I learned more from debating with other students than I did from her and had to correct her more than once. Then again I am probably the kind of student that most professors hate, ones that don't have time for their shit. The professor you quoted was probably pretty good, and I have had plenty of fairly acidic professors who were competent, hell one was damn brilliant and taught a lot but the guy was months behind on returning and grading papers to the point where a few of us asked him if it was worth us handing anything in if he couldn't keep to a deadline.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #171 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:46 »

...she had even asked about turning in the paper early and was told that it was unacceptable.

See that part makes no sense to me. I won't accept late work, but I ALSO won't accept work early, even when you KNOW you'll miss class the day it's due? And from what you say, it was a paper, not some kind of presentation or peer reviewed project even. What kind of professor does that? Except the crazy ones of course...
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #172 on: 15 Jun 2011, 06:45 »

...she had even asked about turning in the paper early and was told that it was unacceptable.

See that part makes no sense to me. I won't accept late work, but I ALSO won't accept work early, even when you KNOW you'll miss class the day it's due? And from what you say, it was a paper, not some kind of presentation or peer reviewed project even. What kind of professor does that? Except the crazy ones of course...

I think it was that the way things were set up we either dropped it off at her department mailbox or under the door of the office area she shared with a few of the other poly-sci profs. Side effect was that it was easy for papers to get lost and she didn't want to be bothered with papers before she was ready to take them. Her whole thing was on the day, not before or after, no exceptions. It was...interesting. The class was frankly a waste as while I got a decent grade there I learned very little from her or the lectures but I did learn how to write papers in such a way as to show what the person reading wants to hear/read and get the right scores for it, so I suppose it was good training for pushing paperwork.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #173 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:02 »

Why didn't the girl just give the paper to a friend to hand in for her, if she was able to hand it in early? That doesn't excuse the teacher though, that's an appallingly unfair policy.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #174 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:01 »

Why didn't the girl just give the paper to a friend to hand in for her, if she was able to hand it in early? That doesn't excuse the teacher though, that's an appallingly unfair policy.

Dunno, my guess is that either she forgot or that she didn't know anyone in class. I talked to her a few times, she was in her 40's though so she didn't really socialize with most of us. From what I get she left to go home shortly after she heard about her mothers death. On the upside it did eventually get sorted out, I knew the head of the political science department and helped her get a meeting with him to get things straightened out.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #175 on: 25 Jun 2011, 20:53 »

I think at my uni they are pretty much hard-arses about that kind of stuff. That said, if you apply for special consideration and you have a legit reason (death of an immediate family member counts) then they are pretty good about it. It is retarded that she wouldn't accept the paper early. Hell in my first year all my papers were due on a friday so I gave them in two days early so I wouldn't have to go in on the day (I didn't have class on fridays). Of course we just have to put them into the relevant assignment box and the lecturers' problems with organisation are not our problems.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #176 on: 27 Jun 2011, 23:28 »

There aren't many science courses so it's odd anyway for someone to go after more than 6 units (3 courses) and you can take a total of 3 or 4 Math subjects.
Of course there aren't many science courses. What would be the point of creating curricula if you can't take them? And the science courses that you *can* take are restricted to two units (except for Mathematics), whereas you can take three-unit History, four-unit English, music, French etc. Basically scientists are second-class citizens in the NSW school system.
Just wait until the National Curriculum hits. Then the value placed on science education will become even more laughable.

The way it's going to work it looks like year 7 kids won't be allowed to use bunsen burners or chemicals, since in some states year 7 is still part of primary school (WA and QLD, I think?) Most primary teachers aren't qualified to teach science, so everyone has to suffer.

At least, that's the way it was going to be this time last year.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #177 on: 05 Jul 2011, 12:45 »

No, it's called 'Being a Colossal Dick'.  Not even the instructors of my military courses were that harsh, and I never had a professor who'd pull something like that.  Yeah, they were strict about lateness and absences, but they were never dicks about it.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #178 on: 08 Jul 2011, 12:54 »

Hey, just wondering, for people who aren't from the States, what's involved in being licensed to teach?  Does anyone know anyone who moved from the States and taught?  I know this is slightly off topic, but it'd be really helpful.

In the UK you must have a relevant degree (AFAIK you must have an educational level above what you want to teach, so as a Chen grad with an English A-level, I can be a Chemistry Teacher, and also teach English or Biology upto GCSE level, I had a few teachers who were cross disciplinary and they were pretty good).

I had an RS (religious studies, now religious education) teacher who demanded the religious minorities effectively teach the segment of the class on their religion, which as the only open Jew in a school of 3000. It was pretty demeaning the way she did it, she thought she was being cultruallu sensitive, instead it was just isolating, as none of the various Christians had to do so, and atheism/Agnosticism was ignored completely.

I also feature as a teacher in this thread. I was a wood tech technician in my 1st year trying to do A-levels. That meant I got to help out in my free periods, setting up, using the equipment on my own projects and helping in lessons. I also made the tea. I once was left in charge of a lesson, the teacher buggered off and said I was covering. The lesson was stained glass cutting and setting using hot soldering irons and metal structures I'd prefabbed.

I can tutor, I can't teach a class, I have no interest  or skill in holding people's attention if they don't want to learn. So I let the majority of the class (average age 12-13 I think) sit and chat and dose about. Until they got to be disruptive. I couldn't leave the class to get help, major injuries from solder and sharp implements would likely ensued on someone, no one else was around, I wasn't gonna Bally well scream for help and there were no phones. So I used the same threat I used on my you her siblings. I'll pick you up turn you and upside down. I only had to do it once, and the class quietened, on the agreement that I'd dangle anyone that wanted by their ankles, if they had kept quiet during the lesson.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #179 on: 08 Jul 2011, 13:11 »

Go teach at the international school in Tirana, Albania, because it requires literally no credentials or even education. You basically just have to speak English.

I sat in on the music class a couple years ago. Mrs. Hemphill. She couldn't tell the difference between duple meter (2/2, 4/4, shit like that) and triple meter (3/4, 6/8, 12/8, shit like that). She told an entire class of 7th to 12th graders (small school) that one of Mozart's waltzes was in 4/4. I corrected her and she sent me out of the class. I responded by saying "Hey your teacher's a proud, spiteful imbecile" as I walked out. Fuck that shit, she never took a music class in her life.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #180 on: 08 Jul 2011, 15:25 »

Hey, just wondering, for people who aren't from the States, what's involved in being licensed to teach?  Does anyone know anyone who moved from the States and taught?  I know this is slightly off topic, but it'd be really helpful.

In the UK you must have a relevant degree (AFAIK you must have an educational level above what you want to teach
Well, I want to teach elementary education (up to 10 or 11 in the States, not sure how it is on that side of the pond), and I'm about to finish a Masters degree that'll let me do so.  What I'm curious about is will this degree do me any good over there or will I have to start university over?  Because there's no way I'm doing that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #181 on: 08 Jul 2011, 15:43 »

Well, I want to teach elementary education (up to 10 or 11 in the States, not sure how it is on that side of the pond), and I'm about to finish a Masters degree that'll let me do so.  What I'm curious about is will this degree do me any good over there or will I have to start university over?  Because there's no way I'm doing that.
It would probably depend on what classes you have taken. If I were you, I would check out an American university and see what their elementary education programs look like. If there are classes you're certain you've not taken, then you may have to take a few American classes before you are allowed to teach here.

Elementary school in the U.S. generally consists of kindergarten and grades 1-5 (which would be 5-year-olds through 10-year-olds or so), although some schools also have preschool/pre-kindergarten and go through 6th grade (and some go even further).

If you have a particular school you're interested in teaching at in the U.S., then you should definitely write them and see what their requirements are for teaching. If you have a particular state in mind, e-mail a few different ones, perhaps in different counties.

Hope this helps! :)

(Edited to fix odd formatting.)
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 16:58 by LoliBot »
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #182 on: 08 Jul 2011, 15:44 »

You shouldn't need to. If it's a degree from an accredited university any ro.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #183 on: 08 Jul 2011, 15:49 »

LoliBot, I think I was unclear or you read it backwards.  My Masters is from the States (New Jersey, to be exact), so aside from particular state tests if I go to a different state, I won't have any issues finding a job here (well, finding a job might be hard, but being qualified isn't an issue).  I was asking how I'd go about getting certified in another country if I decided to move there (probably the UK, but maybe Australia, who knows?)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #184 on: 08 Jul 2011, 16:29 »

LoliBot, I think I was unclear or you read it backwards.  My Masters is from the States (New Jersey, to be exact), so aside from particular state tests if I go to a different state, I won't have any issues finding a job here (well, finding a job might be hard, but being qualified isn't an issue).  I was asking how I'd go about getting certified in another country if I decided to move there (probably the UK, but maybe Australia, who knows?)
Oh, I totally got confused! Definitely not your fault--I'm just a little dumb sometimes. XD

I think the same thing would probably apply--as long as you take the equivalent classes, you should be perfectly fine.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #185 on: 08 Jul 2011, 16:32 »

I hope so.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #186 on: 10 Jul 2011, 08:09 »

Rereading my comment, major idiot ball moment. Where I say
In the UK you must have a relevant degree (AFAIK you must have an educational level above what you want to teach, so as a Chen grad with an English A-level, I can be a Chemistry Teacher, and also teach English or Biology upto GCSE level, I had a few teachers who were cross disciplinary and they were pretty good).

I completely forgot to mention that in addition to the relevant degree, you also need to do a 1 year post grad course (agree to teach in an inner city school, and they'll pay for you to do this). It's called a PGCE, and you should be able to get on a course at an english university with an undergraduate degree from an American one. Your university may well already have a connection to an English University/exchange program for study abroad students, so that might be able to help you. You can then study over here for 1 year, then you can teach.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #187 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:03 »

I've just done a very quick Google search and found this webpage which might be helpful.

I think it's important to note that degrees in the US and degrees in the UK are very different animals, and I doubt if the equivalent classes actually exist. To expand on Adlan's point, you only need to take a PGCE if your undergraduate degree was in something other than education. It stands for "post-graduate certificate in education" and obviously if you already have a Bachelor of Education (or whatever it is called in America) then you wouldn't have to do that.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #188 on: 10 Jul 2011, 19:54 »

I don't have a Bachelor of Education, but I do have an Master of Arts in Teaching (Elementary Ed).  So does that mean I don't have to take the PGCE?  Although I'd be willing to teach in an inner city school either way.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #189 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:36 »

It sounds like you wouldn't have to, but I'd get in touch with the local authority of where you're hoping to move to (or just any local authority) and ask for certain. They'll be able to tell you exactly what you need and also whether there are any jobs available.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #190 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:20 »

I don't finish my Masters until December, but yeah, I don't know where or even if I'm moving, so this is all very early.  I'll probably start looking around in January.  Best case scenario, I start teaching wherever I teach by fall 2012.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hypster

• Plantmonster
« Reply #191 on: 22 Aug 2011, 07:24 »

I had a teacher that everyone swore up and down was a pedophile. He coached the middle school girls volleyball team and supposedly checked them out all the time. He was generally creepy, but he never touched anyone inappropriately.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up