THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gamestop is being a total douchenozzle to Deus Ex fans  (Read 2345 times)

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars

Yeah. I've applied to Gamestop a few times in the past for a job (especially in this tough economy), but the fact that they are going to this level of shady tactics to ensure their stuff is better, they've lost all trust from me. I'd rather be violated in a prison by inmates AND guards before working for a company that behaves like this.

I hope this debacle gives a boost to OnLive and sinks Gamestop.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
Re: Gamestop is being a total douchenozzle to Deus Ex fans
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2011, 20:36 »

The entire game distribution structure is showing more and more disregard for the customer lately. Turns out the Origin TOS apparently allows EA to sift through pretty much anything and everything on your computer and sell it to pretty much whoever they want. Source.

I mean, I realize that Steam collects information too. But at least they restrict their collection to pertinent data and strictly control any PII they obtain. This EA one is so vaguely worded I wouldn't put it past them to snoop through your documents and sell them to the highest bidder.
Quis pater tibi est?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2011, 20:38 »

I think you're taking it a little far. You would prefer rape of any kind over a small miscommunication?

Is it pretty bad that they removed something from a new game and then repackaged it? Yeah, that's pretty bad. But it's also kind of shitty that a game developer would also put an insert into a game that is a competitor against the very same company selling the game. It's kind of like having a couple of kids, but constantly calling one your favorite. They're working out a deal with Square Enix now so they don't do that, with a nation wide recall of the game from stores. What does this say to Target, Best Buy, ever other company trying to sell this game? "Fuck you, we prefer this service instead, but keep on making us money"?

Also on Gamestop's own site you can get it for the same price as Onlive

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2011, 22:37 »

I understand it makes the publisher/dev look like douchebags, but how many people are going to buy the game from Gamestop, look at the OnLive coupon and then suddenly throw everything else up into the air and go "WELL WOOP I GUESS I DON'T NEED GAMESTOP FOR ANYTHING ANYMORE"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2011, 04:12 »

The point is that Gamestop is being forced to advertise a service directly competing to theirs, which isn't fair. But opening the boxes and throwing out the coupons is literally the worst possible action to take in response to this. Both parties are guilty in some degree here.

Edit: This is a more sensible reaction to the whole affair, but it still doesn't change that they initially screwed customers out of advertised box contents.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2011, 06:54 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up