Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 138882 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #150 on: 30 Aug 2011, 15:55 »

The theme of this week?

Also Sprache Zarathustra    - 6 (7%)
The Blue Danube    - 6 (7%)
Momo's new chassis.    - 20 (23.3%)
Sorry, I can't let you do that, Jeph.    - 7 (8.1%)
Momo gets a job at CoD.    - 11 (12.8%)
Momo gets a job at tSB.    - 5 (5.8%)
Pintsize takes Momo's old chassis!    - 4 (4.7%)
WINSLOW takes Momo's old chassis!    - 3 (3.5%)
Happy Toaster makes Waffles for everyone!    - 16 (18.6%)
Marten likes Momo's new look.    - 8 (9.3%)

Total Voters: 86
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #151 on: 30 Aug 2011, 15:57 »

One way to look at it is that they're Jeph's characters and we shouldn't be trying to put them in bed together if it's not true to the characters.

Not that I'm about to start 'shipping, but in the case of Momo/Sven, is it not the case that it is true to the characters?  Sven's the most notorious horndog in QC, and we've had a whole strip dedicated to Momo fantasising about him.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #152 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:10 »

He never gave a reason (to my satisfaction) for rejecting Mari. So I've decided it's because he's just an asshole.

Sorry?  Angus had been pursuing Faye for some time, and you say that he's an asshole for not instantly changing his object of interest when kissed by a drunken girl?  From some of your comments about men, I would have thought that such a change would be a sort of unprincipled behaviour you'd dislike.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 16:12 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #153 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:10 »

... If only I were more enlightened, I could hate more.

I want that T-shirt. Bumper sticker. Wall plaque. Banner towed behind small airplane.

Seconded (all those suggestions)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #154 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:13 »

He never gave a reason (to my satisfaction) for rejecting Mari. So I've decided it's because he's just an asshole.

Sorry?  Angus had been pursuing Faye for some time, and you say that he's an asshole for not instantly changing his object of interest when kissed by a drunken girl?  From some of your comments about men, I would have thought that such a change would be the sort of unprincipled behaviour you dislike.

Yes, pursuing a girl who hated him for a long time and was not interested and treated him like crap. He's an idiot too.

Obviously I don't think he should have taken advantage of a drunk girl. But that's not what I meant. He rejected her. He should have said "We'll talk about this when we aren't drunk" (he was drunk too) and then, when they were both sober, loved her back.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #155 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:18 »

Honestly I think he did feel the same way, at least a little... because he kissed her back.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #156 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:21 »

Do I get this right, you want an idiot as partner for Marigold?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #157 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:25 »

He should have [...] when they were both sober, loved her back.

Love is a two-way thing; one person can't impose it on another - it has to be offered and accepted.  Angus did not impose a relationship on Faye - he pursued it, but only went the last stage when she was prepared to accept it.  By contrast, you appear to be suggesting that Marigold's feelings can - should,  even - be imposed on Angus, without reference to how he feels about it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #158 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:27 »

Yeah but see, if he'd been with her, he WOULDN'T be an idiot. He's an idiot because he's with Faye and because he didn't choose Marigold. And yes, because he spent so long pursuing someone who wasn't interested and treated him like crap.

AND had past relationship baggage...which Marigold would NOT have. I can't understand why he would rather be with Faye. I don't get it. I would think the only reason he was pursuing someone like Faye is because he thought Marigold only liked him as a friend.

Honestly, I have an idea of who I'd like to see Marigold with now that Angus is an idiot...but apparently "shipping" isn't allowed, so I can't say... lol.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #159 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:27 »

He should have [...] when they were both sober, loved her back.

Love is a two-way thing; one person can't impose it on another - it has to be offered and accepted.  Angus did not impose a relationship on Faye - he pursued it, but only went the last stage when she was prepared to accept it.  By contrast, you appear to be suggesting that Marigold's feelings can - should,  even - be imposed on Angus, without reference to how he feels about it.

*sigh*

It wouldn't be imposing if someone felt the same. If Angus had maturity, foresight, or any sense, he would have felt the same way about Marigold...and would have realized Faye is no good, and a bitch. Maybe deep down he does realize that, but decides to let his penis call the shots.

Don't get me wrong--I hate Angus almost as much as I hate Faye.

« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 16:31 by questionablecontentfan »

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #160 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:32 »

Yes, pursuing a girl who hated him for a long time and was not interested and treated him like crap. He's an idiot too.

You clearly missed all the subtext of their pre-relationship interaction.

Honestly I think he did feel the same way, at least a little... because he kissed her back.

Yeah, that's a lot of people's instinct when someone kisses them.

I can't understand why he would rather be with Faye.

Maybe because he was attracted to her.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #161 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:33 »

Honestly, I have an idea of who I'd like to see Marigold with now that Angus is an idiot...but apparently "shipping" isn't allowed, so I can't say... lol.

As is spelt out in the thread that I referred to before, if you have some reason for proposing a particular pairing, that will work in the story and how it's developed up till now, you are at liberty to argue for it.  However, merely saying that you like or want it is not  an argument, and very easily turns into shipping, especially if repeated.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #162 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:36 »

Okay. I get it. Angus is an idiot for pursuing someone who is an idiot (Faye). Marigold is not an idiot for pursuing someone who is an idiot (Angus).

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #163 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:37 »

I would like to see Marigold be with Dale...even though a lot of people said Dale was stupid or whatever, or that Marigold hated him. He likes her, I think, but I'm not entirely sure how she feels about him. It would be interesting to see how that would play out.

I won't repeat it over and over, at the risk of "shipping." lol.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #164 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:38 »

Okay. I get it. Angus is an idiot for pursuing someone who is an idiot (Faye). Marigold is not an idiot for pursuing someone who is an idiot (Angus).

No, Faye's a bitch. And other words I am too polite to speak here.

Angus is only an idiot because he went after Faye so long and because he rejected Mari.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #165 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:40 »

If Angus had maturity, foresight, or any sense, he would have felt the same way about Marigold...and would have realized Faye is no good, and a bitch. Maybe deep down he does realize that, but decides to let his penis call the shots.

Don't get me wrong--I hate Angus almost as much as I hate Faye.

Basically, all you're saying is that you would prefer a different story and characters to the ones in this comic.  Well, you're stuck with them - or not, of course, because you can simply read something you prefer instead - and I suggest that simply arguing that a story should be different from how it is is an entirely pointless occupation.  In fact, if it goes on much longer it will become trolling.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #166 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:40 »

I will never get over how he was like "we're just friends" because HE decided that was how it was going to be. Mari didn't have a say in it in the slightest...and Angus didn't even want to consider being with her. It made me sick!
Um... no. Mari didn't have a say in the slightest after she had been refused. That's how that works. Do you work under some system where one is obligated to try or at least consider romance with everyone who displays interest in such a pursuit with you?

You don't need a reason to not enter a committed relationship, you need a reason to enter said relationship. He saw no reason to do so. She did not hold such an appeal to him. He had no desire to pursue romance with Marigold.

Another way to phrase it would be that her say was "I'm interested in trying this" and his say was "I am not". That's where the discussion ends. You need two for this.

Every day there are thousands of things I don't do. I don't have a specific reason for not doing each and every one of them. I simply have no desire to do them or have something else I would rather do. The entire notion of having to justify not expanding beyond friendship is so backwards I don't even know how to do it justice in addressing it.

Yeah but see, if he'd been with her, he WOULDN'T be an idiot. He's an idiot because he's with Faye and because he didn't choose Marigold. And yes, because he spent so long pursuing someone who wasn't interested and treated him like crap.

AND had past relationship baggage...which Marigold would NOT have. I can't understand why he would rather be with Faye. I don't get it. I would think the only reason he was pursuing someone like Faye is because he thought Marigold only liked him as a friend.

Nothing wrong with pursuing someone for extended periods of time so long as the advances are welcome. You paint it like he was somehow some incomplete being pining after her for all that time. He showed himself to be a perfectly healthy person who was quite comfortable being single, but had no objection to pursuing someone who appealed to him.

He didn't spend his entire days doing this. Just some flirtation when he would run into her during his daily coffee runs. This was in no way anything that dominated any part of his life, and were someone else who appealed to him to come along he was hardly gonna hang around waiting for the coffee girl he likes to flirt with.

It doesn't matter if you can see why he would enjoy someone like that or not. As near as I can tell he enjoyed her wit, shared some interests with her, and found her attractive, but it doesn't matter. One size doesn't fit all. If that's what he wanted in a partner then I see no problem in pursuing that. It's not stupid to spend your time on what makes you happy.

One could quite easily create an entire list of the reasons why Marigold would be an undesirable partner, but evidently she matches what you would enjoy. I would not criticize someone for being able to look past her confidence issues or reclusive tendencies.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #167 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:42 »

Quote from: questionablecontentfan
...If Angus had maturity, foresight, or any sense, he would have felt the same way about Marigold...and would have realized Faye is no good, and a bitch. Maybe deep down he does realize that, but decides to let his penis call the shots.

If Angus had truly been letting his penis call the shots, he would've banged drunk Marigold when she came on to him. That's a kind of thing a guy who's led by his penis does. He certainly wanted to, as he confessed to Faye later.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #168 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:47 »

He didn't spend his entire days doing this. Just some flirtation when he would run into her during his daily coffee runs. This was in no way anything that dominated any part of his life, and were someone else who appealed to him to come along he was hardly gonna hang around waiting for the coffee girl he likes to flirt with.

Worth adding that this did indeed happen, and there was a period where he stopped coming to CoD for a while because he was dating another girl.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #169 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:51 »

If only I were more enlightened, I could hate more.
If you were enlightened you wouldn't hate at all...  :angel:

I can't understand why he would rather be with Faye. I don't get it.
He likes her sass, and the way she matches him in conversational kung-fu. Marigold offers him nothing in that line. If we were to exaggerate Marigold's flaws as much as Faye's, we could say that she's a mopey shut-in with bad personal hygiene, who spends 99% of her free time glued to WoW and Yaoi. Maybe Angus didn't find that appealing.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #170 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:52 »

Okay. I am not going to go with this line of discussion any further, it sounds like it could summarily become problematic.

Being reclusive and lacking confidence is only a problem for people without hearts, and I guess there are a lot of those in the world. I should know. I am reclusive and shy and don't have a lot of confidence...

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #171 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:53 »

Okay, whatever then.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #172 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:54 »

I would think Jeph couldn't care less, as they're his characters and what we say doesn't matter to him in the slightest. If someone wants to have a bit of fun and imagine characters together, what's the harm in that?

Oh, none in imagining it. On the other hand, using Jeph's guest house to post precursors to slash fiction after Jeph has objected is discourteous and endangers the existence of the forum.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

gangler

« Reply #173 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:55 »

Okay. I am not going to go with this line of discussion any further, it sounds like it could summarily become problematic.

Being reclusive and lacking confidence is only a problem for people without hearts, and I guess there are a lot of those in the world. I should know. I am reclusive and shy and don't have a lot of confidence...
Nevertheless it does remain an issue for many.

Edit: My apologies for my poor manners there.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 17:14 by gangler »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #174 on: 30 Aug 2011, 16:57 »

And being verbally aggressive with a lot of pent up anger is only an issue for people without spines. So there we are.

Sorry?

gangler

« Reply #175 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:00 »

Just saying we can go on about what someone would have to lack for characteristic X to be a problem all day. The fact is people have issues. Not everyone wants a partner who's in near constant need of reassurance anymore than everyone wants a partner who's constantly lashing out about everything. Once again, one size does not fit all.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #176 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:02 »

If only I were more enlightened, I could hate more.
If you were enlightened you wouldn't hate at all...  :angel:

Well put. Yeah, that's what I was trying to say... and I'm sorry for being a smart arse about it. I haven't been so good at considering what I write before hitting 'post' recently.

As for Marigold and Dale ... I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, and I've always assumed that the story was heading in that direction.

Just for the record, I am fine with people hating certain characters... no-one is universally loved, after all. So long as we all respect each other's opinions, it's all good. :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #177 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:02 »

Jeph stepping it up with the GIFs - four frames now! Also, looks like he's done something to minimise the difference between browsers - where Hannelore's twitching leg was Tool-like in Firefox and like a slow metronome in IE/iOS, this strip I've found to be more consistent across platforms.
I wonder how he will handle this in print form. The robo-beat-down wills work with a static panel but the twitch needs the animation to work. Maybe the old cartoon convention of superposed images or motion lines will work.
*goes back to find that strip*

Oh, is that what the joke was meant to be there. I have GIF animations off as a matter of principle (the principle being "they drive me nucking futs") and wondered at the time what that was meant to be...

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #178 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:11 »

Being reclusive and lacking confidence is only a problem for people without hearts, and I guess there are a lot of those in the world.
Nobody has a duty to love anyone*. None of us are special snowflakes. Nobody's personality entitles them to affection, or to be looked after by somebody else. Life is suffering.

*Romantically anyway. I'll leave parental love and religious love to those better qualified to comment.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #179 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:17 »

I don't think some here do respect my opinion.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #180 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:19 »

Nobody has a duty to love anyone*. None of us are special snowflakes. Nobody's personality entitles them to affection, or to be looked after by somebody else. Life is suffering.

*Romantically anyway. I'll leave parental love and religious love to those better qualified to comment.

I don't agree.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #181 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:19 »

Wait, didn't Momo actually offer to show some of the QC guys her "special feature" with eels under her skirt? Isn't that technically something Momo can't boink Pintsize for given he was in the same room as him (and possibly showed willingly maybe as an introduction?)

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #182 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:20 »

I realize that Faye and Mari weren't friends and Faye didn't owe Mari anything, but talk about skanktastic.

Most of the many many things I had to say have already been said, but I feel it's necessary to point out this statement.

Just give it a minute, let it sink in.

Okay, have you taken some time? Read it again. How in the world does that make ANY sense whatsoever?? That's kind of like saying Angelina Jolie is a skank 'cause she married Brad Pitt when my friend obviously had a crush on him.

I also don't like the way you say Angus took advantage of Marigold. While yes, Angus was playful, probably even flirty with Marigold, and yes, being her roommate maybe he should have known her well enough to see where that would lead, I honestly think he was just a dope and didn't realize what he was doing (I tend to get fairly friendly with female friends sometimes, especially in an attempt to cheer them up, which is what kind of kicked off the whole thing with Marigold thinking she had a shot) until the drunken kiss, which, iirc, was initiated by her, and ended by him..somewhere about 1625-1635. He was eyes wide open, WTF face in that panel.

To be honest, your hatred of Faye in all the times I've seen it really tends to come off as the jealous kind, like if Angus had ended up with Marigold you wouldn't really give her much thought, but since she was SO AWFUL to Marigold :roll: you decided she's a piece of shit.

Anyway, probably like 5 relies since I went archive digging. Let's see...nope, 19. Posting anyway...3 more just in the time I took to browse those 19.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #183 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:31 »

No. My hatred of Faye comes from the fact that she is a horrible, horrible person.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #184 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:38 »

Well, there is no accounting for taste.

I don't think I have any right to expect anyone to respect my opinions.

I do think that love is worthless when it's not coming out of it's own free will.

And I do love the way Jeph has written Faye.
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #185 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:42 »

Wait, didn't Momo actually offer to show some of the QC guys her "special feature" with eels under her skirt? Isn't that technically something Momo can't boink Pintsize for given he was in the same room as him (and possibly showed willingly maybe as an introduction?)

I don't remember anything at all like that. Anyone else?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #186 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:45 »

But sometimes there are parties, and makeouts!

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #187 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:48 »

"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #188 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:52 »

I'm actually happy I went back to the part where Angus rejected Marigold because of Hanners cuddling with Mari. Aw.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #189 on: 30 Aug 2011, 17:59 »

Funny, after following recently-posted links to the archive, I discovered this amusing juxtaposition.

Dora asks Faye: "Do you seriously worry about that?"
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=453

And here, she gets asked the same question in turn (you could argue that this neurosis is the other side of the same coin - fear of closeness/fear of rejection):
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1298

Maybe Dora's and Faye's issues are more similar than I first realised.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #190 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:06 »

Aw, poor Faye.

That's what happens when you act like a complete bitchbag to a man who cares for you.

rje

« Reply #191 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:10 »

Being reclusive and lacking confidence is only a problem for people without hearts, and I guess there are a lot of those in the world.

Life is pain, princess.
Anyone that says differently is selling something.
 - one of my favorite quotes

(also this is why I like you)

I'm female and I love Faye.
I also love Marigold.
And I adore Angus.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing! Just throwing out my opinion. o3o Take from it what you will...

Also some people tend to view fictional works from a very personal standpoint - sometimes doing this you can project a bit too much upon the characters so that everything that touches them touches you too, and other characters become projections of others in your life. The ex-girlfriend that broke your heart, the boy that didn't love you back or the mean girl that picked on you in school. Sometimes it's just not worth it arguing against this perspective - you're arguing against emotions, not logic and that tends to make a mess. Sometimes it's just better to say 'Okay, that's your perspective, duly noted' and move on.
Just a thought ~
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #192 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:13 »

I hated Faye before I identified with Marigold (yes, obviously I do).

I hate Faye for many many bad things she's done. Everyone else is so quick to move on and forgive her, but I am not. Why should I forgive the horrible things she's done? What has she truly done to redeem herself? Nothing. Letting time pass isn't redemption.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #193 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:24 »

I hate Faye for many many bad things she's done. Everyone else is so quick to move on and forgive her, but I am not. Why should I forgive the horrible things she's done?

For the usual reasons - forgiveness allows you to let go of your harmful (to yourself) resentment and bitterness. It's not something you do for that person's benefit, especially when they are a fictional character.

Note that forgiving someone doesn't necessitate that you be blind to their flaws.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #194 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:29 »

Okay, Tovo. I'll keep that in mind.

westrim

« Reply #195 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:35 »

*reads thread*  :psyduck: My signature is supposed to be funny true, not painful true.

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #196 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:40 »

For the usual reasons - forgiveness allows you to let go of your harmful (to yourself) resentment and bitterness.

I'm living proof, if you don't let go of what people have done it can make you sick. Stress, anger, all of that goes hand in hand and can actually cause physical sickness. It sounds kinda crazy but when you think back to all the upset stomachs, headaches, depression, anything... it's most likely linked to these things. I'm not saying you got the flu from being angry, so don't think that's what I'm saying. =P

Edit: The whole reason I dropped in was to say... I laughed really hard at today's comic. I see Jeph is starting to enjoy playing with animations. ^.^ It really adds to the funny for me.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #197 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:44 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #198 on: 30 Aug 2011, 18:54 »

so, one of the other comics i follow is menage a 3 (occasionally nsfw), it's protagonist is almost a male version of marigold; a 29 year old geek who has never had a girlfriend, lacks anything resembling self confidence or self esteem, and has so thoroughly given up that he puts basically no effort whatsoever into changing his circumstances.

now the reason i bring this up is that a surprising and depressing number of the people on the forum really identify with this character, and loudly object when jokes are at his expense, scream when things don't go his way (or more accurately the way they want for him), and fill entire threads with inane hatred of any character who doesn't put his desires above and beyond all other concerns. essentially, they see so much of themselves in the character that it hampers their ability to enjoy the strip because they so desperately want it to be their vicarious wish fulfillment fantasy.

basically look at the above argument and imagine it happening in every second or third thread.

what i'm saying is that perhaps some people here are abit too emotionally close to the subject matter to discuss it objectively, and that they may enjoy the strip more if they back up and distance themselves abit.

Warning - while you were typing a metric fuckton of new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

yeah, i don't really care

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #199 on: 30 Aug 2011, 19:21 »

I don't agree.

Then you're headed for some real trouble.

Romantic love is, as others have said, a two-way street. One of the most despicable things that you can do to a friend is to pretend to have feelings for her (or him) simply because that friend has feelings for you. I've seen it happen before, and it's utterly destructive to both people. I've *never* seen it work out.

Angus did the absolutely correct and kindest thing any friend could do in that situation--he was honest with her and stopped it before things got worse. He then talked with her the next morning when she was sober and later to try to find out how she wound up in that place. Honesty hurts, but it's usually the shortest pain.

Wishing that Angus and Marigold were together because Angus somehow is denying feelings for her is simply that--wishing. Angus did not return the kiss at all. Plus, they've been friends for a while and only recently did Marigold, by her own admission, develop feelings for him, simply because he was nice to her. That in itself is a problem for Marigold--she jumped to a conclusion and probably even lied to herself (note that she really hasn't shown much of a crush, if any, on Angus after she made her drunken pass, despite the fact they're still roommates). If you believe somebody may like you more than a friend, then the next step is usually asking them or telling them how you feel, not suddenly planting a kiss on their lips. No matter what the movies tell us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up