Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 138978 times)

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #200 on: 30 Aug 2011, 19:59 »

I don't agree with what you've said, any of it, but thank you for your thoughts.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #201 on: 30 Aug 2011, 20:04 »

Life is suffering.
Life is to a large extent what we make of it. Remember that obnoxious preachy slogan from driver's ed, "You're not in traffic, you are traffic"? Our actions add to and subtract from the total of the world's suffering. Angus spared Marigold a huge chunk of suffering by not taking advantage of her.

People who didn't take suffering as inevitable have, among other things, eradicated smallpox, eliminating three million agonized deaths every year.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #202 on: 30 Aug 2011, 20:17 »

I think it's just bullshit that Marigold got to choose between what actually happened, and Angus having sex with her and then dumping her cold. How about loving her?

I don't agree with the whole "oh, she only liked him because he was nice" crap. Maybe she just felt backed into a corner and said that because she wasn't thinking clearly. Angus almost wanted to hear her say her feelings weren't genuine to make himself feel better about rejecting her.

And so what if she doesn't say anything or act like she has a broken heart? Who knows what's going on inside of her? I have a broken heart, and if you observed my external actions, you'd never know it, because I don't speak of it to anyone, and I have to go on acting like everything's fine, when it's not.

What makes you think Marigold couldn't be doing the same?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #203 on: 30 Aug 2011, 20:52 »

Good lord, are we reading the same comic? 

I think it's just bullshit that Marigold got to choose between what actually happened, and Angus having sex with her and then dumping her cold. How about loving her?

You mean aside friom pulling a 180 in his character?  He'd been flirting with Faye, a verbally sassy woman, matching wits with her, because that's what he found attractive.  Aside from breast size, there's little Marigold and Faye have in common.  She's not his type, and despite the fact that people can  be happy with someone who's "atypical" for them, (Sven vis-a-vis Faye, who's not blonde), there were other issues as well - after knowing her for years, he simply wasn't interested in her that way.  If he were, he probably would've suggested it (or done something himself about it) by then.  She had a crush, it happens, and he was honest  with her about hte way he felt (something too few peopl are). 

I need to say at this point that I'm not  trying to change youropinion  of the characters, but rather trying to get you to realize that you're ignoring a lot of well established context with your statements.  You seem to ignore the facts at your convenience, as several people have pointed out, and then you brush them off with a "thanks for your opinion, but I disagree..." 

It's getting really annoying, especially since this is not the first time it's happened. 

But it's also pretty obvious that you've read the comic with an extraordinarily jaundiced eye.  You may want to try going back through it as though it were a work of fiction, rather than commentary on your own personal state of affairs (yes, I remember the last time you did this, and how you equated Faye with the mean girls who picked/pick on you). 

I don't agree with the whole "oh, she only liked him because he was nice" crap. Maybe she just felt backed into a corner and said that because she wasn't thinking clearly. Angus almost wanted to hear her say her feelings weren't genuine to make himself feel better about rejecting her.

We only have what the characters say as a basis for what they feel.  What Marigold said seemed honest to me, and I doubt she was saying it just to make Angus happy! 

And so what if she doesn't say anything or act like she has a broken heart? Who knows what's going on inside of her? I have a broken heart, and if you observed my external actions, you'd never know it, because I don't speak of it to anyone, and I have to go on acting like everything's fine, when it's not.

Her actions (and reactions) at the party.  "I am okay"

Look, I can understand how you feel about the people who've been bitches to you and your friends, and how you could see a great deal of that in Faye.  But they are people too, possibly very flawed people, but people nonetheless.  Holding hatred like that isn't healthy. 

Remember, living well is the best revenge.  Pursue what you love, and find some peace. 

Before you  become the one who's a completely bitter, hateful bitch to everyone you know. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

westrim

« Reply #204 on: 30 Aug 2011, 20:52 »

So how about that chassis, people! Man, that is a fine, fine chassis that Momo has now- lean and tall with a strong frame, strong hands, strong twintails, vibrant colors, lots of thrust and good response times, and young and fresh too!...

I am completely failing to change the topic of discussion and sounding creepy, aren't I?
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 20:56 by westrim »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #205 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:09 »

Honestly, if I could just share my opinion without receiving lectures that could pass for novellas...everything would be cool. I feel how I feel. Other people feel how they feel. I respect other people's opinions, just wish I could get the same in return.

No, I don't think the comic is about me. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to state that. Faye is a bad person, and the shit she did to Marigold is just one incident of many.

I do not wish to discuss my life, or make this about me. I pointed out that I had a broken heart simply to point out that someone can be wounded inside and appear normal outside. Marigold said she was okay, but what if she was just lying?

Anyway, this conversation is getting boring. I'm sick of being scolded. I am allowed to feel how I feel. Jeez.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #206 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:12 »

But Angus doesn't love Marigold, he likes her as a friend. Pretending to love her and then having to end the pretense at some future point would hurt her even worse than what actually happened. Sure there's a slim chance he might develop real romantic feelings for her, but as Carl said above, if that was going to happen it would already have by now. It was a shame she was disappointed the way she was, but that is simply life sometimes-I don't believe that "life is pain" as some posters have said, but I know from experience that disappointment and pain ARE a part of life right along with satisfaction and joy.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #207 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:12 »

Also...the fact that Angus LIKES BEING FRIENDS with Marigold kind of refutes the argument that he isn't drawn to something about her. He likes being friends with her. If he found her completely unworthy he wouldn't want anything to do with her.

Just needed to point that out too.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #208 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:13 »

right along with satisfaction and joy.

Would you believe...some people never get to experience that part.

westrim

« Reply #209 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:19 »

Trigger:
Sure. She's a complete bitch.
not:
Quote from: questionablecontentfan
Sure. I think she's a complete bitch.

And so it went. State something like a fact and expect it to be challenged on those grounds, not as an opinion.

NOW, HOW ABOUT SOME CHASSIS, WOO! Out of the car and onto the Segways I say, no poking needed!
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 21:21 by westrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #210 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:19 »

Now there's a question: how strong is an AnthroPC chassis?

It would be good safety engineering to limit them to human-scale strength, but that covers a wide range.

The HPC-4100X is not strong enough to hold someone's head out of a toilet, but it would be possible to put a motor into something that size that could lift a whole human.

Maybe AnthroPCs have a synthetic muscle simulant which is more flexible than motors and gearing, but which compromises available force?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #211 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:21 »

If it was just that I thought she was, I would say that. But I don't just think she is, she is.

westrim

« Reply #212 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:23 »

Now there's a question: how strong is an AnthroPC chassis?

It would be good safety engineering to limit them to human-scale strength, but that covers a wide range.

The HPC-4100X is not strong enough to hold someone's head out of a toilet, but it would be possible to put a motor into something that size that could lift a whole human.

Maybe AnthroPCs have a synthetic muscle simulant which is more flexible than motors and gearing, but which compromises available force?
Hopefully significantly stronger than ours for emergency situations, but with strict governors for everyday situations, like wrestlers who don't have to grip a can like a... bar thingy barbell.

YourMaster

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #213 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:27 »

You don't choose whether to love/have a crush on somebody.  If you could, then Marigold could have just not chosen to love Angus and there would be no problem.

There are perhaps other options.  He could have tried a date.  But if he's pretty sure that's going nowhere, it's more merciful not to build up hope, only to dash it, all the while keeping her from possibly pursuing any other guy.

I don't agree with the whole "oh, she only liked him because he was nice" crap. Maybe she just felt backed into a corner and said that because she wasn't thinking clearly.

Maybe.  People do that sort of thing, I know.  That said, it's a bit patronising to assume that a given person doesn't feel the way she says she feels.  People also sometimes feel exactly as she says she feels.  But in any case, why does it matter?  You can't have feelings for somebody just because it would hurt them if you don't have those feelings.

Angus almost wanted to hear her say her feelings weren't genuine to make himself feel better about rejecting her.

And?  Studies show that rejecting a person is typically as hard as being rejected.  It actually sucks to reject somebody you're friends with.  But that doesn't mean "whelp, you must be my one and only soulmate forever because you called dibs first".

I find the notion that somebody "should" have "loved her back" kind of gross.  Romantic love isn't something you just feel for anybody who loves you first.  Even the most wonderful people aren't in love (in the romantic sense) with the vast, vast majority of the people in the world, and never will be.  You don't get to have whoever you want, just because you want them.  And if you really care for somebody, you shouldn't want them to be with you just because you want them.  They should be with you because they want to be with you, or they shouldn't be with you at all.

Anyway, this conversation is getting boring. I'm sick of being scolded. I am allowed to feel how I feel. Jeez.

And I'm allowed to feel that it's ethically wrong to think that way, because nobody has the right to tell anybody else who to love or not love.  To feel that way, that's another matter.  "That which is done out of love invariable takes place beyond good and evil", as Nietzsche says.  But you only started talking about this being something you feel, rather than something you think, recently, and it really feels like backpedaling.

Do you get to choose who loves you AND what we all talk about?  :)

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #214 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:32 »

Because that's not how the strip went. She was not "backed into a corner"--Angus asked her about a while after, not the next morning. She was embarrassed to talk about it, but she was honest--and she opened up about how she felt as they talked it out. That's not being backed into a corner, when you say something to escape. Marigold didn't escape, she communicated. She's not, as you say, keeping it all in. And Angus gave her some of the best advice in the strip:

Listen, what I was trying to get at is, you're really great. You're SO great you shouldn't just settle for a dude just because he's nice to you or wants to sleep with you, or whatever.

Marigold holding a crush on Angus isn't bad, but what you describe is extremely unhealthy. Especially when Marigold is still living in the same apartment with the guy.

Here's the thing: I've been on both sides. A woman "friend" who pushed herself onto me didn't accept it when I told her I just wanted to be friends. She became a near-stalker after I told her that I just wanted to be friends, up to and including telling another woman who liked me that we were an item. She adored me simply because I was friendly with her, the first guy in a long time who did that; therefore, to her, I must adore her in return. So when I see somebody say that a character is a jerk because he was honest and open his own feelings (which every real relationship MUST have) and because he didn't allow someone to snowball him and force him into a relationship with her....

I'm sorry, I find that twisted.

On the other side...I've been friends with a woman for nearly a decade. She has a number of issues, similar to Hanners in fact, and I've been a decent rock in our friendship. Somewhere along the way, I developed feelings for her. I told her, and she had no clue I felt that way, and it was a bit rough between us for a while. But she came to me and while told me that she simply wasn't attracted to me, she also explained how important I was to her as a friend, and how she still wanted me in her life as that friend. That was more than 6 years ago, and we're still close friends.

You cannot in any way force somebody to love you. Life and love does not work that way. They call it a "relationship" for a reason.

Also...the fact that Angus LIKES BEING FRIENDS with Marigold kind of refutes the argument that he isn't drawn to something about her. He likes being friends with her. If he found her completely unworthy he wouldn't want anything to do with her.

Just needed to point that out too.

Yeah...He likes her as a friend. Men and women can have friendships, very intimate ones in fact, without any kind of romantic attraction or sexual connection. My best friend is a woman (no, the same one as above). Angus has been her friend for a while; he obviously likes and values her as a person, which is why he's honest with her, doesn't want to use her (like Steve suggested), and continues to be her friend. It refutes nothing.

Just needed to point that out.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 21:36 by billydaking »

skellibones

« Reply #215 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:34 »

Life is suffering.
Life is to a large extent what we make of it. Remember that obnoxious preachy slogan from driver's ed, "You're not in traffic, you are traffic"? Our actions add to and subtract from the total of the world's suffering. Angus spared Marigold a huge chunk of suffering by not taking advantage of her.

People who didn't take suffering as inevitable have, among other things, eradicated smallpox, eliminating three million agonized deaths every year.

Life is suffering due to the impermanence of life. Buddhist philosophy, ya dig.

westrim

« Reply #216 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:35 »

*waves chassis in the air desperately* Oh, forget it, I'm going to go shoot some people... digital people, who are firing back at and killing me.

Thought I should clarify.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #217 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:36 »

Honestly, if I could just share my opinion without receiving lectures that could pass for novellas...everything would be cool. I feel how I feel. Other people feel how they feel. I respect other people's opinions, just wish I could get the same in return.

Actually, you've shown very little respect for the opinions of others.  You've been quite dismissive.  Others might respect your opinions more if you could back them up, but you don't.  And I'm talking about opinions, not feelings, there's a difference.  

Yes, it is getting boring.  And my apologies for sounding like I was scolding you.  I do  get a bit riled when I see someone making such basic mistakes, though.  You certainly are entitled to your feelings.  Just quit trying to support them with nonexistant facts, or by ignoring the ones that do  exist, and I think everyone will gladly stop tying to point out that you got the facts wrong.  

right along with satisfaction and joy.

Would you believe...some people never get to experience that part.

No.  As someone who tried suicide as a teenager, I know how dark it gets.  You knew joy at one point, as a child, and you will again.  But I can't believe you never knew any.  

Of course, I'm assuming you're talking about yourself again... maybe it's a theoretical "some people"?

Oh, and please, don't tell me I'm wrong again.  There isn't a child (even in poverty and starvation) that hasn't experianced some  aspect of joy.  It's part of being a child, ask anyone who's studied human development.  

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Well, fuck.  

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

DANG, people!

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

To hell with irene - this  is a storm!
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 21:42 by Carl-E »

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #218 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:37 »

*waves chassis in the air desperately* Oh, forget it, I'm going to go shoot some people... digital people, who are firing back at and killing me.

Thought I should clarify.

BANG!

Whoops, sorry. Meant to hit the guy standing next to you. Have a chocolate bunny.

cyberxigbar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #219 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:39 »

Wait a sec-wouldn't it technically be easier for Pintsize to look up her skirt now that Momo's human-sized?

Also: digging the animation. Wasn't expecting THAT when I logged in.  :-D
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 21:42 by cyberxigbar »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #220 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:42 »

Easier, yes, but before there was no fear of retribution.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cyberxigbar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #221 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:45 »

True, but when you've pulled that kind of stunt on Faye, fear's not as much of a factor anymore.

At least, that's how I see it.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #222 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:45 »

Oh ffs. Yeah, maybe part of being a child in a first world country. I think the starving, malnourished, abused children would beg to differ on that. Joy is not a part of every childhood...and it's not a part of every life.

I am really sick of being told that there's something wrong with loving someone, expecting love back.

Humans fuck it all up...other animals get it right.

I am not twisted, creepy, or anything else. My view makes perfect sense. I have never broken a heart.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 21:47 by questionablecontentfan »

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #223 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:48 »

The notion is sound if idealist if you're using love in the general sense. Nothing wrong with that. Loving everyone in the romantic sense and expecting the same manner of love back is just plain flawed to the core though.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #224 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:52 »

If it was just that I thought she was, I would say that. But I don't just think she is, she is.

I think Faye is a pretty awful person too.  I also think Angus is a creepy stalker and Marigold is a depressed, addicted gamer.

I don't think any of them should be dating anyone.  However, if you're a Marigold fan, you should be happy Angus said no.  They just don't seem right for each other at all.  Marigold, when she's ready, would be more suited for someone who shares her interests (not Dale, please create a new character for her to one day date).

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #225 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:54 »

Why not Dale?

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #226 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:54 »

The notion is sound if idealist if you're using love in the general sense. Nothing wrong with that. Loving everyone in the romantic sense and expecting the same manner of love back is just plain flawed to the core though.

Not everyone, obviously. But would it be nice if those we loved loved us back? Imagine all the sadness and pain that would no longer exist. It would be beautiful.

westrim

« Reply #227 on: 30 Aug 2011, 21:55 »

Whoops, sorry. Meant to hit the guy standing next to you. Have a chocolate bunny.
*nom*

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Okay, I normally am annoyed when people do this, but I typed five characters!

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #228 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:04 »

I like Marigold BECAUSE she's flawed, BECAUSE she's vulnerable, BECAUSE she doesn't know how to talk to people, because she sits in her room playing video games, because she hides from the world, because she eats pocky all day long, because she's in her early 20s and has never had a boyfriend, and before kissing Angus she'd never kissed. Other people see her behavior as flaws, I see her as more real. She doesn't spend all day being fake and schmoozing with people just to look good. She doesn't spend vain hours blowdrying her hair and painting her face and trying to impress shallow guys. She's beautiful, she's real, she's afraid, and she's not like a million other comic characters who are fake and stupid and always trying to be cute and perfect. Her imperfections are what are beautiful.

She's also not uber creepy like Hanners can sometimes be. Hanners just isn't running at the right frequency for me. She just doesn't do it for me the way Mari does.

Can you honestly think of a time that she's been mean, cruel, spiteful? Of a time she screwed someone over, wronged someone? She is not only vulnerable and real, but she treats other people with respect, for the most part. She's not a useless bitch like Faye. She's sweet, and has much love to offer. She is too scared to venture outside of the safety of her little world. She is a lot like me, but unlike me, she is not nearly as angry and bitter as I am. She does not fantasize about ripping people new rectums as I do.

There is a lot to appreciate about her.

Maybe I sound nuts but that's what I think.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 22:07 by questionablecontentfan »

gangler

« Reply #229 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:13 »

Not everyone, obviously. But would it be nice if those we loved loved us back? Imagine all the sadness and pain that would no longer exist. It would be beautiful.
Well sure. While we're on the subject it would also be pretty neat to live in a world with no disease where the air is laced with amphetamines. There's optimism, there's idealism, and then there's this. This delves into high fantasy right here. A world where everyone who loves someone is loved in return is so fundamentally altered it no longer even resembles our own. You could write an entire novel just exploring the concept of what such a world could theoretically look like, whether there would be drawbacks in such a utopia (for that is what it would be. A utopia), how this would alter social norms, human interaction, the development of all the sciences and political structure.

I mean it's a nice concept for fiction. It could actually be pretty fun to play around with. There are a lot of directions you could take that in. In terms of real life expectations though you'd be better off waiting for someone to develop Soma.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #230 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:14 »

Okay, I get it. Life just has to suck. Moving on...

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #231 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:20 »

Maybe I sound nuts but that's what I think.

You don't sound nuts, but you do sound like a hurt and bitter person who is projecting her issues onto fictional characters, which is causing you to blow certain aspects of their personalities out of proportion.

Hope that wasn't too blunt, but you're arguing from your feelings and nothing else. No offense, but to me, it seems like the comic is something like a rorschach test for you.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #232 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:21 »

More like we can't always get what we want. If only we could, but life doesn't work that way, especially in the romantic arena...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #233 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:22 »

You don't sound nuts, but you do sound like a hurt and bitter person who is projecting her issues onto fictional characters, which is causing you to blow certain aspects of their personalities out of proportion.

Hope that wasn't too blunt, but you're arguing from your feelings and nothing else. No offense, but to me, it seems like the comic is something like a rorschach test for you.

No, it's not. But thank you for your opinion.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #234 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:25 »

But would it be nice if those we loved loved us back?
It means that many people either have to leave the one they already love, which kills the point, or have to become polyamorous, which again many would not find as nice.

You sound as if people simply choose whom(?) they love. And while I don't believe that feelings just magically drop out of outer space but are created by ourselves for very valid reasons, there is no way to simply flip a switch and suddenly love somebody.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 22:27 by dragontart »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #235 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:29 »

On the other hand, few people can give good reasons for NOT loving somebody. The person who broke my heart sure couldn't. : (

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #236 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:34 »

Few people can five reasons for lving someone, either.  Love is not a "reasonable" thing!

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #237 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:35 »

I believe that often comes due to a lack of words or ways to describe many aspects of that topic. Also I sometimes asked myself why exactly I am not in love with certain people I really like (not that any of them ever asked, I just wondered) and I did not find an answer.

ChristineIrene

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #238 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:36 »

You can't possibly have a good reason to not have feelings for somebody.
I mean, you can make up that you're not compatible or various other factors, but in the end its just how you feel.

You can't magically turn the switch to make you not feel bitter and resentful, so why should that person be able to easily produce feelings for someone they are not interested it.

I've been rejected a few times, and I've had to be the reject-er position as well, and it sucks. But, that's the nature of human emotion.  

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #239 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:36 »

I guess it should go the other way. It would be easier to just not love who doesn't love us. Too bad it's too late for me. : (

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #240 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:38 »

People who didn't take suffering as inevitable have done many things, some good, some evil. Regarding suffering as inevitable does not preclude trying to reduce it, but there is no vaccine to protect anyone from a broken heart.

Life is suffering due to the impermanence of life. Buddhist philosophy, ya dig.
Life is suffering in many ways, owing to many causes. I don't want to get technical because I am certainly not a qualified teacher (nor even a very good Buddhist), and this is not an appropriate forum, but when considering the Four Noble Truths, it is important to realise that "suffering" is easily misunderstood owing to a mistranslation common to both English and Chinese.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #241 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:42 »

I should also mention that Mari is a SAINT compared to me with this shit. She genuinely wanted Angus to be happy. I would be going for blood.

Proof, I guess, that I don't identify with her that much. She is much better behaved than I would be. lol.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 22:44 by questionablecontentfan »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #242 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:45 »

No, it's not. But thank you for your opinion.

Ok, that right there?  That's what I was talking abut earlier.  It's dismissive, and downright rude.  Partly because iduguphergrave is not  just expressing an opinion - the image you project on this forum is  of someone hurt and bitter.  And you are  blowing aspects of characters out of proportion, while ignoring other aspects.  You do  argue from your feelings, which is not an argument at all.  Yes, it is!  No, it isn't!...

As for the Rorschach test thing, most art really is.  What you see in it (whether it's a sculpture, a novel or (gasp!) a webcomic) reveals more about a yourself than most people like to admit...

Edit: Damn sticky O key...
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 22:51 by Carl-E »

gangler

« Reply #243 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:48 »

Life is awesome. It doesn't have to suck at all. We live in a golden age. I'm a dirtpoor student and I've got more entertainment laid out before me than could be consumed in a lifetime, nearly all human knowledge laid bare before me, a bitchin roof over my head that's not gonna fall anytime soon, and can support a lifestyle that doesn't require physical excertion and a diet that has me a little pudgy around the edges.

This is the best life has ever been on this planet. Even in lowerclass society my life is luxurious to a degree that exceeds the greatest nobles of old. I possess things that would have been great treasures even fifteen years ago and I treat it as outdated junk. I have access to all the food of the world. I am exposed to the elements to a minimal degree. I have a degree of freedom that in a larger perspective is enviable, and I can choose to partake in all the pursuits in the world that could ever interest me. I live in a city. A section of the planet that we have manually reshaped in our image. The entire world is my oyster and my fate is mine for the choosing so long as I place it within my ability to accomplish.

Life is the best. I'm hardly broken up over the fact that the freedom and unpredictability of other thinking beings prevents me from forging an ideal relationship with only my own will to back it. Life is so awesome that people look at my awesome life and think it's shit just based on the comparison to their own fantastic lives.

Life has to contain contain disappointment. This is unavoidable. There is pain to be found in life. This is also unavoidable. Overall though life's pretty freaking sweet right now. I got pepsi in the fridge.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2011, 22:54 by gangler »

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #244 on: 30 Aug 2011, 22:54 »

Oh my this is an active thread. On the note of the chasis I'm actually more curious as to whether they have rules and regs for addons and the like, for example smaller ones might have more bells and whistles in part because they look less human and might also be seen as less threatening whereas human sized ones might have more regulations to avoid 'How do I compete with a living computer that also has built in wireless, hologram projectors and can be a portable espresson machine?!'

As to the whole Marigold thing...I find it a bit weird. I don't see any kind of romantic link between Marigold and Angus, their personalities seem to be far too disparate at least in terms of what would attract them. I feel genuine sympathy for Marigold, someone who would gladly offer themselves to someone just to be treated nicely is someone that needs a lot of sympathy. But she and Angus wouldn't be happy together, I think that if Dale is pursuing her it's closer to Calvin tormenting Suzie than it is to anything really flirtatious.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #245 on: 30 Aug 2011, 23:00 »

Life is awesome. It doesn't have to suck at all. We live in a golden age. I'm a dirtpoor student and I've got more entertainment laid out before me than could be consumed in a lifetime, nearly all human knowledge laid bare before me, a bitchin roof over my head that's not gonna fall anytime soon, and can support a lifestyle that doesn't require physical excertion and a diet that has me a little pudgy around the edges.

This is the best life has ever been on this planet. Even in lowerclass society my life is luxurious to a degree that exceeds the greatest nobles of old. I possess things that would have been great treasures even fifteen years ago and I treat it as outdated junk. I have access to all the food of the world. I am exposed to the elements to a minimal degree. I have a degree of freedom that in a larger perspective is enviable, and I can choose to partake in all the pursuits in the world that could ever interest me. I live in a city. A section of the planet that we have manually reshaped in our image. The entire world is my oyster and my fate is mine for the choosing so long as I place it within my ability to accomplish.

Life is the best. I'm hardly broken up over the fact that the freedom and unpredictability of other thinking beings prevents me from forging an ideal relationship with only my own will to back it. Life is so awesome that people look at my awesome life and think it's shit just based on the comparison to their own fantastic lives.

Life has to contain contain disappointment. This is unavoidable. There is pain to be found in life. This is also unavoidable. Overall though life's pretty freaking sweet right now. I got pepsi in the fridge.

Okay, well, good for you. Maybe this is more than people who come on a forum to discuss a comic care to know, but my life isn't so great, and I've already shared at least one reason why.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #246 on: 30 Aug 2011, 23:16 »

my life isn't so great, and I've already shared at least one reason why.

If you head down to the part of the forum called "awkward self-aware makeout zone" you will find a "relationship advice thread" and a "blog thread", where people unburden themselves of their problems and sometimes get sympathy and advice in return.  As well as romantic rejection, there are discussions there of parental rejection, persistent illness, suicide of friends, loss of home and identity and more.  Some people have found help in the discussions - and I dare say others have not - but what you do get to see there (over time) is that (a) there is nothing new under the sun, and (b) whatever it is, someone else has been there so you are not alone.

If you want to have such a discussion, that would be a better place than this thread - though these days it's much slower than this part of the forums.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #247 on: 30 Aug 2011, 23:17 »

MOVING RIGHT ALONG..........................................................
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

« Reply #248 on: 30 Aug 2011, 23:18 »

MOVING RIGHT ALONG..........................................................
I already tried that, but hopefully your version works.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #249 on: 30 Aug 2011, 23:22 »

Here's something more light-hearted to change to conversation flow: Play the QC caption game! (I mean if you don't already)

/plug
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up