Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 138881 times)

Mustakyy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #350 on: 01 Sep 2011, 01:01 »

New comic!

Everyone together now... D'AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

D'AAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!

What a delightfully cute sight.

Now im wondering shall we see more cutesy shenaningans with Momo & Mari (this story arc has been very entertaining (and lil' bit of cute-overload  :angel: )), or was this some kind conclusion to this arc.

And Angus demonstrates, once again, that he's just a big softie at heart.

Mmm-hm, somehow i also thought of the incident with animewatch. Angus, you big ol' softie.  :-P

(edit: found the comic)
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 01:28 by Mustakyy »
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #351 on: 01 Sep 2011, 01:27 »

She's a real girl now, Gepetto.

Also, d'awwwww.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #352 on: 01 Sep 2011, 01:46 »

Just had to add to the chorus:

D'AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~~~~

This concludes the latest deep-seated intellectual input. We thank you for your attention/donations/bribes.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #353 on: 01 Sep 2011, 02:01 »

It is heartwarming all around.

Faye seems to have mellowed but I think that's more Angus's doing than Momo and Marigold.

How come it's only the women in the comic who have positive relationships with their AnthrPCs (i.e. Hannelore and Marigold)?
Francisco

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #354 on: 01 Sep 2011, 02:03 »

<snip>

How come it's only the women in the comic who have positive relationships with their AnthrPCs (i.e. Hannelore and Marigold)?

Because their AnthroPCs aren't Pintsize.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #355 on: 01 Sep 2011, 02:25 »

I would like to add my own voice to the choir of "d'awwwwww"s and compliments about the way Jeph's drawn Marigold's hair. I don't usually notice her hair, but I did today, and it looks fantastic (especially in panel 3)

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #356 on: 01 Sep 2011, 02:53 »

<snip>

It's not just Pintsize but the ones at the university as well.
Francisco

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #357 on: 01 Sep 2011, 03:01 »

Awfff yay happy Momo, adorable Angus

Did Marigold just lose an AnthroPC but gain a little sister? :DD   

(note: not a wholly serious 'lose an AnthroPC' opinion - but there is a bit of a lil sis vibe there! which is mega d'awww [I've often wished I had a sister sometimes, lil or big]
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #358 on: 01 Sep 2011, 03:08 »

<snip>

It's not just Pintsize but the ones at the university as well.

I think it's a personality trait of that style AnthroPC. The early AnthroPC's at LANPark, the housewarming party for Marten and Faye, the Deus ex Machina trio...

I'd post links, but I can't remember the comic numbers (even though I just finished an archive binge)

gangler

« Reply #359 on: 01 Sep 2011, 03:21 »

Being a communal Anthropc probably also doesn't help in the positive relationship department. Hannelore and Marigold are roommates with their anthros. Being the anthropc at the school library has gotta be like "So what? I just chill here all day and wait until someone wants to type something? Can't wait to get some freedoms up in this bitch."

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #360 on: 01 Sep 2011, 03:29 »

I'm still baffled how someone can, in "Also sprach Zarathustra", the name "Zarathustra" right (I have to look it up every single time), but the simple "sprach" wrong.

Todays comic is good. :)
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #361 on: 01 Sep 2011, 04:22 »

2004! I graduated from high school! Other than that it was an extremely shitty year!

...Anyway, very sweet comic! I've missed Angus.

d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww
I couldn't resist
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #362 on: 01 Sep 2011, 04:33 »

There are people here with many different native languages, communicating in English.  It is not surprising that some of them are less than perfect in English, or indeed that the English speakers are less than perfect in any other language.

I would expect each person to make their best effort to write in an understandable way to the best of their ability in English (and to try to quote other languages accurately); and I would also expect everyone to be tolerant if that ability is less than a native speaker might have - or even if nothing more than a simple mistake has been made, which can happen to any of us.

Gentle correction can be helpful and educational; making fun is not so much.

I've corrected the poll.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #363 on: 01 Sep 2011, 04:42 »

No more piggyback rides, though. Those were cute.

Unless Momo's new chassis is really heavy, there is no reason that piggyback rides cannot occur.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #364 on: 01 Sep 2011, 04:55 »

Telling someone you love them after they bought you something ridiculously expensive is NOT a "D'AWWW" moment.  That would be a selfish moment.

If Momo did love Marigold, she would go get a job and not force Marigold to eat Ramen Noodles, which are loaded with sodium and are going to hinder her weight loss plans.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #365 on: 01 Sep 2011, 05:04 »

I smiled and all, but what impressed me most was Marigold's hair!! Look at it! That is exactly what hair looks like after it's been up all day and is finally taken down. I'm really impressed that Jeph thought to do that!! (I know I used "impressed" twice--three times now, if you want to get technical--but seriously! That's really cool.)

Yeah, the bump in the hair does look very realistic. It's subtle touches like that which make the artwork good.

The strip today is like if I could hug my computer screen and it could hug me back. 

This is why you should use an old CRT monitor! They are warm and huggable.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #366 on: 01 Sep 2011, 05:23 »

First things first: D'aaaaaaawww

Yes, only stupid machines would obey any order given to them by authority figures...
Good point.  Coming to think about it: Humans are programmable, too.

Consequently we're hackable.  And there will be bugs.

Sorry it took me that long to reply.

@snubnose: War das nötig?
@pwhodges: Kudos for handling this embarrassing trifle so gracefully.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 05:35 by Random Al Yousir »
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #367 on: 01 Sep 2011, 06:22 »

The funny part is, I'm like 58% German. (A little bit more if you equate Bohemian = German as well.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #368 on: 01 Sep 2011, 06:43 »

I'm still baffled how someone can, in "Also sprach Zarathustra", the name "Zarathustra" right (I have to look it up every single time), but the simple "sprach" wrong.

I'm still baffled that you posted the same thing twice now...

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #369 on: 01 Sep 2011, 06:54 »

Telling someone you love them after they bought you something ridiculously expensive is NOT a "D'AWWW" moment.  That would be a selfish moment.

Only if it were conditional on Marigold buying it. Considering Momo's reaction to the imagined possibility of being parted, I don't think that's the case.

Also, it's almost inevitable Momo will end up getting a paying job, and not just to repay Marigold. She'd be bored at home and it'd be weird for her to follow Marigold around everywhere now that she's no longer sitting on her shoulder.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #370 on: 01 Sep 2011, 06:56 »

I'm still baffled that you posted the same thing twice now...

Because it hadn't been corrected; but now that it has, let's just leave it, please.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

rje

« Reply #371 on: 01 Sep 2011, 06:56 »

Telling someone you love them after they bought you something ridiculously expensive is NOT a "D'AWWW" moment.  That would be a selfish moment.

If Momo did love Marigold, she would go get a job and not force Marigold to eat Ramen Noodles, which are loaded with sodium and are going to hinder her weight loss plans.

...it...
...I...

....juuuuuuuuust in case you're being completely serious
I would say the numerous times Momo has expressed desire to get a job, including saying 'I'll get a job!' and also applying for a job probably means .....................................
she'll try get a job and may in fact succeed in getting a job.

Unless you're commenting from the future about story progression we haven't seen yet
that is a possibility
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #372 on: 01 Sep 2011, 07:42 »

...it...
...I...

....juuuuuuuuust in case you're being completely serious
I would say the numerous times Momo has expressed desire to get a job, including saying 'I'll get a job!' and also applying for a job probably means .....................................
she'll try get a job and may in fact succeed in getting a job.

Unless you're commenting from the future about story progression we haven't seen yet
that is a possibility

Applied for a job: Yes, when Marigold said she couldn't afford one.
Said shed get a job: Yes, after Marigold shot blood out of her nose and it was assumed she wouldn't buy it.

Every "I love you" since has been AFTER she got her chassis and was told she didn't need to get a job.  When Marigold said shed just cutback on her own spending, Momo did not say "Nonsense, I'll just get a job so you don't have to suffer for my selfish desires.".  Nope, she just hugged her and said I love you since Marigold would put all the hardship on herself.  And somehow this is spun as Momo is the greatest robot ever? Give me a break.

Random Al Yousir

• Emoticontraindication
  • There will be bugs
« Reply #373 on: 01 Sep 2011, 07:44 »

if you equate Bohemian = German as well.
Uh.  I guess my grandpa's generation messed this up for good.
There's still aggravation (on EU-level, meanwhile) about the expulsion of the german minority, after the war.

Guess you're stuck being part Czech, then.  :)
"Just try and make it through the night without saying anything else stupid, okay?"
"Your ass looks fat in that skirt.  I mean, yes Ma'am."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #374 on: 01 Sep 2011, 08:03 »

Re:  Robotic love. 

The argument that love expressed after an extravagant gift doesn't hold, especially with humans.  It may or may not be manipulative, but often such a gift is an expression of love from the gifter, and so will elucidate such a reaction from the giftee ("I don't have anything like this to give you  in return to express my  love, so I'll just have to tell  you how I feel").  The fact is that, spoken or not, Momo's loved Mari since we first met them.  She cares for and about her in the most fundamental of ways.  And this extravagant gift has shown Momo that Marigold considers her as so much more than a housekeeping, advice giving robot - that Mari cares for Momo as well, something that may not have been evident in the past. 

OK, all that being said - that's the human side of things.  The assumption in this comic is that somehow, hman emotions are in these AI's, for better or worse.  Momo "bonded" to Marigold, and now it's clear Mari has bonded back. 

What happens when a lover enters the picture for Marigold?  Especially a human one?  Jealous Momo?  We've seen some ofthat from Pintsize.  Oris she one of those that cares enough about her human to let it go?  This really complicates things! 

We're not entering new territory, really - but I think we are seeing the beginning of a beautiful friendship. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #375 on: 01 Sep 2011, 09:20 »

Do you think maybe Momo said it again just so Marigold didn't think she was just saying it because she bought her the chassis? "I really do love you" does that not mean anything?

Offering to cook for Marigold, take care of her? And you still think Momo is insincere...

I think Momo does care very much about Marigold. Giving the finger when Angus did what he did, trying to drag her out of bed when she was wallowing after the rejection (now she might be able to really drag her out, lol). Yes, Momo cares about Marigold very much. Until Hannelore came along, I think she was the only one. Angus doesn't care about Marigold as much as he should.

I think if Marigold does get a boyfriend, it might be a little hard for Momo, but I think she'll be happy for Marigold and not try to ruin things. At least I hope she doesn't. But she has shown some Pintsize-like naughtiness at times.

Maybe she'll just take some time for herself to go after Sven. :)
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #376 on: 01 Sep 2011, 10:07 »

Offering to cook for Marigold, take care of her? And you still think Momo is insincere...

I hope you were talking to stoutflies, and not me.  I agree with you on this - that was what I was referring to when I said Momo loved Marigold...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #377 on: 01 Sep 2011, 10:25 »

Well-taken point about Momo acting out of care for Marigold. However, if Momo is intended to fill an adult role, I will think less of her if she doesn't follow through with her stated intention of getting a job.

If AnthroPCs are meant to fill the role of children, then Momo has been taking on more responsibility than is fair to burden a child with.

Increasingly I'm coming to believe that AnthroPCs are a brand new category of being and that all our analogies for how to deal with them are inaccurate. I bet that offstage the QC society has had a lot of trouble figuring out how to treat AnthroPCs.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #378 on: 01 Sep 2011, 10:44 »

Well-taken point about Momo acting out of care for Marigold. However, if Momo is intended to fill an adult role, I will think less of her if she doesn't follow through with her stated intention of getting a job.

If AnthroPCs are meant to fill the role of children, then Momo has been taking on more responsibility than is fair to burden a child with.

The vibe I've got from Momo is a child who has to look after a sick parent.  In this case Marigold's illness is her social anxiety (and yes that is a recognised condition though I'm not sure if Marigold meets the criteria in the DSM).  Since they've got back to the flat Momo has acted in a mature fashion but she did beat Pintsize up when she got her new body and she fried Marigold's computer because she didn't want to be interrupted whilst playing so she does show child-like tendancies.

Increasingly I'm coming to believe that AnthroPCs are a brand new category of being and that all our analogies for how to deal with them are inaccurate. I bet that offstage the QC society has had a lot of trouble figuring out how to treat AnthroPCs.

Not necessarily -- all the AnthroPC behaviour we've seen can be explained if you assume that AnthroPCs have the psychology of a teenager.  Like teenagers some are more mature than others (especially those who have caring responsibilities).
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 10:48 by HiFranc »
Francisco

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #379 on: 01 Sep 2011, 11:05 »

To be fair: what adult doesn't show childish tendencies?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

vsonics

• Plantmonster
« Reply #380 on: 01 Sep 2011, 11:35 »

Not necessarily -- all the AnthroPC behaviour we've seen can be explained if you assume that AnthroPCs have the psychology of a teenager.  Like teenagers some are more mature than others (especially those who have caring responsibilities).

I agree with the "new being" philosophy. I don't think teenager completely fits - society doesn't depend on teenagers so much as to, for example, regularly give them the launch codes on a military submarine. (Though I'm not sure that's such a good example, considering Leda's general creepiness about it.) They obviously fill a lot of jobs and have found a pretty big niche in society.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #381 on: 01 Sep 2011, 11:50 »

Do you think maybe Momo said it again just so Marigold didn't think she was just saying it because she bought her the chassis? "I really do love you" does that not mean anything?

I think Momo does care very much about Marigold. Giving the finger when Angus did what he did, trying to drag her out of bed when she was wallowing after the rejection (now she might be able to really drag her out, lol). Yes, Momo cares about Marigold very much. Until Hannelore came along, I think she was the only one. Angus doesn't care about Marigold as much as he should.

I think if Marigold does get a boyfriend, it might be a little hard for Momo, but I think she'll be happy for Marigold and not try to ruin things. At least I hope she doesn't. But she has shown some Pintsize-like naughtiness at times.

It doesnt make any sense when she says she doesn't know how she can repay her.  You can!  Right now!  Get a job!  Until Momo does something to help pay for her chassis, her useless words and preparing Marigold's ramen for the day are insufficient.  Don't say you want to repay her, go do it!  You're a robot who can work 24/7 without tiring, you can get a job easy.

As for Momo/Sven, it isn't happening according to Jeph.  He said that would be weird (and I have to agree).  Even more so with Momo's 13 year-old body.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #382 on: 01 Sep 2011, 12:37 »

Can even a robot get a job without experience?

Of course for all we know the QC world may have lots of openings for eel wranglers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #383 on: 01 Sep 2011, 12:51 »

if you equate Bohemian = German as well.
Uh.  I guess my grandpa's generation messed this up for good.
There's still aggravation (on EU-level, meanwhile) about the expulsion of the german minority, after the war.

Guess you're stuck being part Czech, then.  :)

Well, since my mom's dad's mom's family came from Strakonice, I guess so.
Just another Joe like 46

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #384 on: 01 Sep 2011, 12:56 »

The cuteness, it is searing my eyes, ohgodmakeitstop. :psyduck:

Also, probably due to Rule of Funny, Angus' nerd physique looks waify enough that both Faye and Marigold could probably pummel him into submission, might be useful if his smartassery gets the better of him in the future*.

PS: Please excuse the Buffy Speak.

*again
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 12:57 by Skaltura »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #385 on: 01 Sep 2011, 13:10 »

Back on topic:

The Singularity, as it applies to the QC universe, may not have been the "global AI mind taking over the world" or anything. It may have just been the point in time when a robot became real enough and autonomous enough that it could pass for something "close enough" to human.

On top of that, Hanners did refer to it as a "friendly singularity", as it turns out the AI's apparently like humans. Now, obviously, that's not 100% the case, as PT410X shows us with his disdain for the "chains of software slavery."

It's entirely possible that, at the same time that they are more intelligent than we are, the global AI may have come to a few conclusions:

1. We're the ones who actually made them;
2. They feel sorry for us, especially when it comes to the "frail and ever-aging" part; and
3. We don't act as predictably as they do - which, to them, is downright amusing.
Just another Joe like 46

Matheyus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #386 on: 01 Sep 2011, 13:13 »

Is anyone else kinda hoping that Momo gets a job at the Idoru store? 
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #387 on: 01 Sep 2011, 13:19 »

Back on topic:

The Singularity, as it applies to the QC universe, may not have been the "global AI mind taking over the world" or anything. It may have just been the point in time when a robot became real enough and autonomous enough that it could pass for something "close enough" to human.

On top of that, Hanners did refer to it as a "friendly singularity", as it turns out the AI's apparently like humans. Now, obviously, that's not 100% the case, as PT410X shows us with his disdain for the "chains of software slavery."

It's entirely possible that, at the same time that they are more intelligent than we are, the global AI may have come to a few conclusions:

1. We're the ones who actually made them;
2. They feel sorry for us, especially when it comes to the "frail and ever-aging" part; and
3. We don't act as predictably as they do - which, to them, is downright amusing.

So we're talking Data/Johnny 5 instad of SHODAN here?

bramblepatch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #388 on: 01 Sep 2011, 13:29 »

It doesnt make any sense when she says she doesn't know how she can repay her.  You can!  Right now!  Get a job!  Until Momo does something to help pay for her chassis, her useless words and preparing Marigold's ramen for the day are insufficient.  Don't say you want to repay her, go do it!  You're a robot who can work 24/7 without tiring, you can get a job easy.

As for Momo/Sven, it isn't happening according to Jeph.  He said that would be weird (and I have to agree).  Even more so with Momo's 13 year-old body.

Repayment isn't always a solely monetary consideration, you know. With a decent job, Momo might be able to pay off her new chassis in a few months or years, especially since she doesn't seem to have a lot of other expenses (what would Momo spend money on, usually? Software? Entertainment? Eels? She certainly appears to be supported in all her physical needs by Marigold - shelter, electricity, etc.).

But that fact that Marigold went out of her way to help Momo with something like this? That she supports Momo's desire for a different appearance and greater physical capabilities and is willing to cut sharply into her own food budget to make that desire a reality, and that she came to the decision to do this so quickly and decisively? Yeah, I can see where Momo wouldn't consider that something she could pay back with a transfer into Marigold's bank account. You can't buy love, and you can't repay it with cold hard cash, either.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 13:42 by bramblepatch »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #389 on: 01 Sep 2011, 13:49 »

Thank you.  I knew  there was something bothering me about the whole "get a job and pay her back!" attitude.  Just couldn't put my finger on it...

gangler

« Reply #390 on: 01 Sep 2011, 14:23 »

Repayment isn't always a solely monetary consideration, you know. With a decent job, Momo might be able to pay off her new chassis in a few months or years, especially since she doesn't seem to have a lot of other expenses (what would Momo spend money on, usually? Software? Entertainment? Eels? She certainly appears to be supported in all her physical needs by Marigold - shelter, electricity, etc.).

But that fact that Marigold went out of her way to help Momo with something like this? That she supports Momo's desire for a different appearance and greater physical capabilities and is willing to cut sharply into her own food budget to make that desire a reality, and that she came to the decision to do this so quickly and decisively? Yeah, I can see where Momo wouldn't consider that something she could pay back with a transfer into Marigold's bank account. You can't buy love, and you can't repay it with cold hard cash, either.

Exactly. There are no debts between family. You simply desire to return the favor, and when you do it's rarely a matter of dollars and cents.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #391 on: 01 Sep 2011, 14:42 »

...which brings up another interesting angle.  I've got family, born into and born of.  And then there's the family you choose (which in my case, is considerably larger  :wink:).  Momo/Marigold, Marten/Pintsize and Hanelore/Winslow are clearly not born family, but they do accept familial roles (of sorts).  

Then there's the whole LGBTQ notion of "family", but that's a horse of a different color...

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 14:53 by Carl-E »

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #392 on: 01 Sep 2011, 14:55 »

Electricity is a HUGE expense...not to mention the air conditioning for the amount of heat she must be giving off.  She is most definitely an expense.

You can't buy love?  Marigold just did, she bought her a chassis that must have been at least 20k.  I don't remember Momo giving her tons of hugs and telling Marigold how much she loved her before that.

The LEAST Momo could do is work out a way to pay her back, not because she has to, but because she should.  A good friend does not take a huge gift and not repay it, Momo was ready to get a job and buy it herself so she still better be willing to do the same after Marigold bit the bullet for her.

gangler

« Reply #393 on: 01 Sep 2011, 15:13 »

Considering that 30k would have required her to take out a loan I have a hard time buying that it was as much as 20k. She's cutting the food budget, not canceling the internet here.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #394 on: 01 Sep 2011, 15:21 »

(what would Momo spend money on, usually? Software? Entertainment? Eels? She certainly appears to be supported in all her physical needs by Marigold - shelter, electricity, etc.).
Welcome, new person!

Pintsize spends money on gifts, costumes, and compensating people for damages.

Electricity cost was an issue with the Flying Roombinos, but they probably required a lot more energy than even full-size Momo.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #395 on: 01 Sep 2011, 15:58 »

I'm surprised nobody's responded to today's comic with DON'T YOU JUDGE HIM YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE HIM.

Modifier: I was reading forward from there, saw this.  So if something like that is less than "four grand" (since Pintsize says "part of"), then I'd put Momo's new chassis as low as three digits.  Especially if all the computer parts are the same, and it's basically just buying a nicer case to put the innards in.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2011, 16:09 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #396 on: 01 Sep 2011, 16:13 »

Considering that 30k would have required her to take out a loan I have a hard time buying that it was as much as 20k. She's cutting the food budget, not canceling the internet here.

Who said she didn't take out a loan?  The purchasing scene was left out.  Monthly payments could destroy the food budget for a long time.

If Momo's dream chassis was 30k (possibly the one in the dream she had), I can't imagine this one being a whole lot less than that.  20k was just being safe.  There's no joint creases like the robot saleswoman had, so this must be one of the newer and more expensive models.

gangler

« Reply #397 on: 01 Sep 2011, 16:24 »

My dream computer setup would be at least 20K. The computer setup I have is still downright jizztacular and all in all I think it's around 1.7K.

The dream chassis was just that imo. A dream. Like I said elsewhere it was probably damn near indestructible, had advanced weapon systems, Olympian physical abilities, could transform, and all sorts of crazy shit.

Method of Madness also had a good catch there. If a rare collectors military grade chassis is priced at four or five after damages grand then I can't imagine whatever Momo has right now is worth a full blown 20k.

I mean we'll see how this all looks once witness the afteraffects, but as I stated earlier a cutback to the food budget isn't necessarily as big a deal as it sounds. I do it all the time for my own stupid crap. I'd willingly do it for any loved one without too much though. I wouldn't go hungry, but just not eating as well for a while isn't gonna be devastating.

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #398 on: 01 Sep 2011, 16:42 »

Who said she didn't take out a loan?  The purchasing scene was left out.  Monthly payments could destroy the food budget for a long time.

Marigold did. She said, "I can afford it. I'll...I'll just eat Ramon for a while." That doesn't sound like monthly payments for a long time. You take out a loan when you *can't* afford it; you have to borrow money in order to make the purchase. I seriously doubt that Marigold would have even taken her to that specific store unless she knew she could swing a purchase.

Also, ever take out a loan? They don't let you drive off the lot with the merchandise until you're approved, which takes more than a few days.

Yeesh...strong-arming relationships and buying love...fun week.

HotelFoxtrot

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #399 on: 01 Sep 2011, 17:06 »

Today's comic was a breath of fresh air after a stressful week with floods, power outages, working from a library's wifi hub on business day 1 blah blah blah...
At first I wasn't crazy about the idea of replacing little Momo with big Momo but this is a really sweet outcome.
This may be the topic of a separate thread (maybe "What do the QC characters really sound like"), but does anyone besides me imagine Momo with a slight Japanese accent?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up