Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Momo likes the new chassis!
- 3 (4.8%)
Momo hugs!
- 3 (4.8%)
Perhaps you should buy a humidifier too.
- 1 (1.6%)
Do you not recognize me, Pintsize? It's me. Momo.
- 5 (7.9%)
Momo Robo Beatdown! (Hurf Durf)
- 2 (3.2%)
I'll give her five more minutes...
- 1 (1.6%)
It was nice of Hannelore to give some of her old clothes.
- 2 (3.2%)
I can cook for you!
- 0 (0%)
I can also reach your head to smack you upside it...
- 4 (6.3%)
I really do love you, Marigold. "I love you too."
- 6 (9.5%)
You're gonna make Angus cry.
- 3 (4.8%)
THERE WAS A CAT ON THE STAIRS AND I'M ALLERGIC.
- 13 (20.6%)
No offense, but it's hard to sleep with you sitting there staring...
- 1 (1.6%)
Spooning Momo!
- 16 (25.4%)
But I am too big to fit on the dresser anymore!
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)  (Read 138864 times)

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
Re: WCDT: 2001-2005 (29 Aug-2 Sept 2011)
« Reply #500 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:16 »

Yes, he apologizes, and then he does it again.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #501 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:17 »

Man, Marigold looks good in the tank top huh?

But on to something that won't have me stared at.. This comic was both creepy and just plain adorable. I love it!

Hehe...yes. But I'm more about the bedhead and the adorable look on her face.   :-D

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #502 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:21 »

Angus is probably one of the most realistic characters imo... Because everyone has done the "I'm sorry/does it again" many times. I wouldn't consider anyone an asshole for that.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #503 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:24 »

If he did it to most girls, maybe not. But Mari is more vulnerable than most girls, as I think we all know.

bramblepatch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #504 on: 02 Sep 2011, 11:52 »

If he did it to most girls, maybe not. But Mari is more vulnerable than most girls, as I think we all know.

She is and she isn't. Everyone has issues with self-esteem and self confidence sometimes, and Marigold is a strong person - she can be opinionated, and she's got a noticeable competitive streak, although it is mostly expressed through her gaming. She just doesn't have coping mechanisms that are very effective against Angus's personal brand of bullshit, and she tends to crumple in on herself rather than lash out. So yes, there are situations that will tear down Marigold in a noticeable way - but they're not so different from the situations that cause Dora to put on her Stepford Smiler face until the pressure builds up and she overreacts out of the blue, or the situations that cause Faye to get surly and potentially violent, or the situations that cause Hannelore to withdraw from the group to go disinfect something. Just because Marigold's breakdowns track more closely to your own (or to mine, I have to admit) does not mean that she's inherently more vulnerable than the rest of the cast. It means that we can spot the warning signs in her sooner than we can spot the warning signs in a character who we don't identify with so closely, which also means we notice when she gets on rocky emotional ground but doesn't completely lose it.

I actually think that Angus and Mari are good for each other, as friends and roommates (although I do feel that they'd be a mismatch romantically) - she's slowly but surely building up defenses, and I think he's softening a bit, too. They enjoy many of the same things (as little as Angus would like to admit it sometimes) and they seem to genuinely enjoy eachother's company, so long as Angus remembers not to relate to her like he would someone at work and Marigold remembers not to wear the same mountain-dew-and-pocky-infused-t-shirt for three days straight of WoW raids.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #505 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:08 »

Personally, I find nothing more annoying than people walking on eggshells around you. Don't you agree?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #506 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:19 »

Personally, I find nothing more annoying than people walking on eggshells around you. Don't you agree?

Oh hell yes, especially considering the vicious circle it quickly becomes: People (claim they're) afraid to tell you what you need to know, and you get frustrated because you're not getting information you need, and they cringe more, and so on and on and on ... In my case, it made a previously dream job a minor hell.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #507 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:20 »

Oh shit! I just noticed Momo has her hair down.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #508 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:23 »

That was exactly where I wanted to go with my comment, thank you. I dislike that behavior as well, specially if it comes from friends.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #509 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:28 »

Yes, sentient. Jeph says they're sentient.
Hey ho. I may be the only one, but every time I hear that a machine has become "sentient" my first reaction is generally "so what" since it's not nearly as hard to be sentient as some sci-fi would have you believe. After all, most every pet you've ever owned was sentient.
Admittedly a machine with the ability to suffer would be a breakthrough in its own right but it's hardly the sort of thing a strong AI like the little robots Jeph writes about should aspire to.

"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #510 on: 02 Sep 2011, 13:25 »

Why does slavery keep getting brought up? They (the human and the AI) make a mutually agreed to contract, the human pays for whatever casing for the AI the human desires, and if/when the contract ends the human gets a full refund. Everything about it is completely voluntary and refundable; why is that hard to accept?

I can't decide whether I'm aggravated that I avoided getting commenting on this highly interesting tangent earlier or glad I avoided the time sink.

Slavery keeps getting brought up because of PT410x's commentary earlier in the strip (back in the arc where Marigold was introduced).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Dust

« Reply #511 on: 02 Sep 2011, 13:30 »

She's also mispoken at times and been an absolute cow to people. Friends forgive.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #512 on: 02 Sep 2011, 13:59 »

*serious penguin hat on!* I think part of the issue on the people bringing up slavery is that the AnthroPC is property...actually maybe I get the problem. I believe that it's PETA that has an issue with 'pets' or the idea of them seeing it as a kind of slavery and instead prefers 'companion animals' or whatever. The AnthroPCs are of at least human level intellect and are in a similar situation. More importantly they're subject to the constant risk of lobotomy (hard reset with memory dump) and possible physical abuse at the hands of an owner. Now technically it's more a mutual contract, the human and the AnthroPC are closer to a landlord and tenant.  As to why Momos new form seems to make it more...active apperance does mean a lot. Most of the AnthroPCs we've seen thus far are fairly small and 'cute' they look like kids toys and thus abstractly it's harder to look at them as actual sentient beings. As something human sized and shaped suddenly Momo seems less like a kawaii little robot friend and more like another person and suddenly the contracts and concepts of ownership are problematic. AnthroPCs, at least in my view, are a kind of Landlord/Tentant relaitonship with a healthy helping of Owner/Pet. Pintsize is the dog that humps everything he can get his hands on and gives that weird little doggy grin when he pees on the new couch, if that helps give perspective.

*serious penguin hat off!* I liked the artwork in this, both Momo and Marigold look quite adorable.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

bramblepatch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #513 on: 02 Sep 2011, 14:33 »

*serious penguin hat on!* I think part of the issue on the people bringing up slavery is that the AnthroPC is property...actually maybe I get the problem. I believe that it's PETA that has an issue with 'pets' or the idea of them seeing it as a kind of slavery and instead prefers 'companion animals' or whatever. The AnthroPCs are of at least human level intellect and are in a similar situation. More importantly they're subject to the constant risk of lobotomy (hard reset with memory dump) and possible physical abuse at the hands of an owner. Now technically it's more a mutual contract, the human and the AnthroPC are closer to a landlord and tenant.  As to why Momos new form seems to make it more...active apperance does mean a lot. Most of the AnthroPCs we've seen thus far are fairly small and 'cute' they look like kids toys and thus abstractly it's harder to look at them as actual sentient beings. As something human sized and shaped suddenly Momo seems less like a kawaii little robot friend and more like another person and suddenly the contracts and concepts of ownership are problematic. AnthroPCs, at least in my view, are a kind of Landlord/Tentant relaitonship with a healthy helping of Owner/Pet. Pintsize is the dog that humps everything he can get his hands on and gives that weird little doggy grin when he pees on the new couch, if that helps give perspective.

*serious penguin hat off!* I liked the artwork in this, both Momo and Marigold look quite adorable.

You have a serious penguin hat? I want a serious penguin hat! Is it anything like a worry hat?

Based on Clinton's questions, it seems like there may have been something of a recent shift in the legal status of AIs, which might be adding to the confusion. It seems that at the beginning of the comic, the default relationship probably was closer to Owner/Pet, and Pintsize has always struck me as a fairly early-model AnthroPC anyway - people were originally surprised to find out that Marten had him, he's less mentally stable (or at least less adept at hiding his instability) than most other AIs we've met, and his original chassis didn't even have jointed limbs, a feature which pretty much every other AnthroPC we've met appears to have. He's also the AnthroPC character who acts most pet-like. Somewhere over the course of the comic, AIs have gained equal rights under the law, and I suspect that means that the Human/AI relationship has been restructured to an extent, bringing it closer to Landlord/Tenant. We just didn't hear about it when it happened, because none of the AnthroPCs in the cast are particularly activism oriented (with the possible exception of their linux-based friend) and all of them were content with their living situations. Like Marten said, it didn't actually change his relationship with Pintsize, and can you see Winslow or Momo being all, "Sooooo, how about that whole me not being your property anymore thing?" If they didn't want to break with their humans or make things awkward, they may not have seen much point in pointing out that they were now free to leave at any time. Maybe not the most enlightened or empowering reaction, but it makes emotional sense.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #514 on: 02 Sep 2011, 14:36 »

Pintsize referred to getting sleepy and going into standby mode in strip 2, so they have the option of not being awake 24/7.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #515 on: 02 Sep 2011, 14:55 »

That's another big issue: how in the world do APC's manage to keep moving with the (relatively) limited battery power they have?

I mean, if a Tesla Roadster can only go 220 miles or so before it has to recharge - and it has the battery array roughly 27 square meters, or about the size of a couch - how in the heck could something as small as even Pintsize manage to keep moving on battery power and still have enough room to hold the memory that a theoretical AI would need to operate? And that's not even anything to consider cooling mechanisms or just basic "walking" capabilities.

« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 15:07 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #516 on: 02 Sep 2011, 15:07 »

Clearly many technological breakthroughs have been made. 

Probably by John Ellicott-Chatham...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #517 on: 02 Sep 2011, 15:38 »

Like Mr. Fusion?
Just another Joe like 46

Cornan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #518 on: 02 Sep 2011, 16:03 »

It wouldn't take a revolution in power creation such as fusion. It would, as you noted, take a storage breakthrough to make AnthroPCs and their ilk work as presented. While we are faced with a severe limit to storage capability in our world now we've also been putting relatively little R&D funding towards battery technology until the fairly recent past. It's entirely possible that some of the breakthroughs in the QCverse that lead to AI could also have resulted in ancillary discoveries that contributed to better energy storage techniques. The materials research that would have had to go into their CPUs alone could have yielded up some pretty tidbits that would apply directly to materials used in advanced batteries for energy storage.

At least, that's how I handwavium it away for myself. ;)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #519 on: 02 Sep 2011, 16:19 »

True - one of the theories as to how things developed so fast could be that the AI's spent so much time thinking about it that they came up with solutions faster than we could put them together.

I'd still like to see some sort of BananaPC-like "ORPHANED!" scenario come about, though. If only for the Lulz.
Just another Joe like 46

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #520 on: 02 Sep 2011, 16:35 »

Is it a banned topic to avoid extreme creepiness?

It is not a banned subject, but would not get a free pass on creepiness either.
Well, Momo's fantasized about Sven.  There has to be context.  It must have happened before and probably isn't all that rare, either.

The question is, how realistic can it be for the human?  How satisfying can it be for the android?  What does "satisfying" MEAN to an android in the context of sex?

I suppose their programming could include a whole set of behaviors/responses to sexual stimuli, and it's quite likely that someone has figured out pheromone interaction capabilities between humans and androids.  But even after you handle the mechanics of it... the contexts are completely different.  Aren't they?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #521 on: 02 Sep 2011, 16:50 »

Marten found the idea "profoundly disturbing" in 1667.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bramblepatch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #522 on: 02 Sep 2011, 17:01 »

Marten found the idea "profoundly disturbing" in 1667.
And Pintsize was "glad they legalized human/robot makeouts" in 1900, although I'm not entirely sure whether that would indicate a) that there is a following for such things or b) that it's one of those things Pintsize, and only Pintsize, is into.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #523 on: 02 Sep 2011, 17:20 »

Rule 34.  There's always  a followng. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #524 on: 02 Sep 2011, 18:00 »

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!

(approved by the Space Pope)

gangler

« Reply #525 on: 02 Sep 2011, 18:02 »

Well, if Anthro-PCs would be people their treatment would indeed violate human rights.

As they are some kind of machines, no matter how lifelike Jeph portrays them, they arent sentient and they are ultimately tools to serve mankind.

*aherm*

If you will allow me, could I please direct your attention to Exhibit A: The Measure of a Man

By claiming that they're tools, you are presenting essentially the same argument as Cmdr. Bruce Maddox, who himself (somewhat ironically) was a tool. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Oh my God, what was that? I just checked out the episode expecting some basic discussion of robotic life but it was just so moving. Halfway through I started to lose composure and I wasn't able to get it back until the ending credits.

I'm gonna have to check out some of the other stuff. There were some very cool characters there. I know it's not entirely on topic but that was just a great watch.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #526 on: 02 Sep 2011, 18:27 »

Oh HELL no. Marigold is much gentler and patient than I am.

I'd be going for blood. BLOOD.

I think I mentioned that already, inside we are similar but I lash out at others WAY more than Mari does. Compared to me, she's a saint...and I realize that this is not "the forum where we talk in depth about C's issues" but a forum to discuss QC.

I'm just saying, I identify with her and sometimes she drives me nuts because she's being WAY nicer than I would be. I actually have a look that I've used to make people cry before.

Now...you would THINK...that would make me more empathetic towards Faye...but, as it turns out, nope.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #527 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:10 »

The question is, how realistic can it be for the human?  How satisfying can it be for the android?  What does "satisfying" MEAN to an android in the context of sex?
Well that would depend entirely on what sort of chassis the APC has, wouldn't it?

That's probably why Momo wanted that really expensive one; it was sexually capable. Probably why the one she did get was in Marigold's price range; it looks convincingly human but lacks a lot of functionality. Either that or the expensive one had "superpowers" or something.

The only problem I have with the whole situation is that Jeph's explanation for the AIs is that their consciousness came about accidentally, rather than being designed deliberately. As science has already predicted, were such a thing to happen, the chances of the resulting mind resembling a human mind in any way would be astronomical.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #528 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:23 »

And now, a moment of silence for Momo's old bed.

Welp, looks like Marigold is going to have to get a sleeping bag for Momo because I don't think Momo will agree to be moved to the couch.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #529 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:28 »

I guess I'm weird...and Marigold would probably think I'm weird too, but I don't see the big deal about Momo sleeping in the bed.

It's not like she's Pintsize.

Or am I way off base here? And why are people ascribing a sexual meaning to it? Momo just wants to cuddle and be close to Marigold. There's nothing more to it than that.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #530 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:34 »

I guess I'm weird...and Marigold would probably think I'm weird too, but I don't see the big deal about Momo sleeping in the bed.

Or am I way off base here? And why are people ascribing a sexual meaning to it? Momo just wants to cuddle and be close to Marigold. There's nothing more to it than that.
To be fair, Pintsize was the first AnthroPC introduced and he kinda set the bar for how AnthroPCs act and are perceived by the readers.

Then again, Pintsize also had his only weapon (the laser) removed eons ago while Momo still has her electricity. Last thing Marigold wants is for a sleeping Momo to accidentally deliver a serious electric shock to her while both are asleep. Then there is the fact that Momo is metal and not flesh and bone. Momo accidentally hitting Marigold in the face while sleeping is going to hurt a bit more that say....Hanners doing the same thing.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

gangler

« Reply #531 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:39 »

It's not a sexual problem imo. Just a general personal space problem. For example, though we may have shared a room as children I truly don't think I'd be comfortable sharing a bed with my brother.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #532 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:43 »

I can see that...oh well. It's still cute for now, even if Marigold won't allow it. :)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #533 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:52 »

It looks like a pretty small bed, which raises practical issues.

I'm cool with Marigold sharing a bed with her sister.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #534 on: 02 Sep 2011, 19:57 »

Yeah. The issues of Pintsize and Marten sharing a bed have nothing to do with the size of the bed. lol.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #535 on: 02 Sep 2011, 20:36 »

I definitely think Marigold is going to either

A) Get a cot bed for Momo

OR

B) Get a bigger bed.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #536 on: 02 Sep 2011, 20:46 »

Actually this is kind of a weird thought, how would Momo view the new body in terms of what it means. She can't just fit on a dresser and if she does 'sleep' or enter a kind of debug mode (not sure where but Pintsize mentions that he doesn't dream so AnthroPCs might not dream)...
Because there haven't been enough links to this strip in the past week :psyduck:

Well, if Anthro-PCs would be people their treatment would indeed violate human rights.

As they are some kind of machines, no matter how lifelike Jeph portrays them, they arent sentient and they are ultimately tools to serve mankind.

*aherm*

If you will allow me, could I please direct your attention to Exhibit A: The Measure of a Man

By claiming that they're tools, you are presenting essentially the same argument as Cmdr. Bruce Maddox, who himself (somewhat ironically) was a tool. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
And also ignores the law in QCworld...

A lot of the problem is that this business model does not exist in real life, it is foreign and confusing.  Nowhere can you buy something and then return it whenever you want for a full refund, no questions asked.  Nowhere can you buy a product and not own it.
The problem here is that there are actually two points compressed into one:
1) The AI. Refundable contract fee, plain & simple. Think of it as a dowry, if that helps.
2) The chassis. This is rather more complicated, since there's hardware involved which can be upgraded, damaged, worn out, become obsolete, etc.  The contract  fee seems to ignore this entirely - especially since we have definitive proof new chassis can be bought (And what happens to Momo's old chassis now? Was it part-exchanged for the new one?).

Who ultimately owns the chassis - the AI (permanently gifted it by the human), or the human (who allows the AI to use it rent free on a landlord/tenant basis)? IOW, if Momo was to quit Marigold (unlikely given Momo's character, but play along), would she have to leave the chassis Marigold bought and head off to the cyberspace AI "job centre" to look for another human or other role (bank/nuclear sub/whatever)?
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2011, 05:53 by Somebody »

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #537 on: 02 Sep 2011, 20:54 »

If Marigold loves Momo, like she says she does, I can't imagine her doing that. If Momo wanted to leave, I think Marigold would just let her go. I can't imagine her going... "Hey, I paid for that...hand over the chassis, lady!" No way.

Jeph could find some comic relief in Marigold's repeated attempts to keep Momo from sneaking into her bed at night, with Momo making various excuses "I thought you stopped breathing and I was just checking on you!"

:)
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 21:29 by questionablecontentfan »

bramblepatch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #538 on: 02 Sep 2011, 21:11 »

Oh HELL no. Marigold is much gentler and patient than I am.

I'd be going for blood. BLOOD.

I think I mentioned that already, inside we are similar but I lash out at others WAY more than Mari does. Compared to me, she's a saint...and I realize that this is not "the forum where we talk in depth about C's issues" but a forum to discuss QC.

I'm just saying, I identify with her and sometimes she drives me nuts because she's being WAY nicer than I would be. I actually have a look that I've used to make people cry before.

Now...you would THINK...that would make me more empathetic towards Faye...but, as it turns out, nope.

Perhaps it's that you see aspects of yourself in both Marigold and Faye, but Mari's closer to your ideal of what you feel you should be like? I've kind of got the opposite going, myself, in that I'm something of a recluse who avoids face-to-face socialization when possible (leading me to identify strongly with Marigold), and I find my rare moments when I can actually bring myself to mouth off at someone, in person, in real time without looking over my words three times on a computer screen to be incredibly empowering. Which is why I hurt more for Faye - because she's putting herself out there in a way I really wish I could, and in my eyes if she gets hurt because of it, it's because she's far braver than I am - and Marigold's misfortunes are more likely to get a slightly squeamish wince from me. I've been in her shoes too many times and reacted in too similar a manner to glorify her tribulations.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #539 on: 02 Sep 2011, 21:30 »

I can't really explain why I like Mari so much. I don't think it's really something I can rationally explain.

My dislike of Faye is pretty rational, and I can make lists, though I can't be bothered.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #540 on: 02 Sep 2011, 22:18 »

Here's an odd question. How warm is Momo? Is she like a laptop that is almost too hot to touch, or is she cold? In either case she would be an uncomfortable sleeping companion.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #541 on: 02 Sep 2011, 22:21 »

Not if Marigold got a huge ass bed, so they wouldn't have to touch. lol.

I've heard people with problems in their marriage do that. Almost like separate beds, except not.

I'd like to think if she were either of those, Marigold would have had some reaction like "ow!" but Jeph does leave some things to the imagination.

I'm thinking the most uncomfortable thing about sharing a bed with Momo, for Marigold, is the personal space breaching.

vsonics

• Plantmonster
« Reply #542 on: 02 Sep 2011, 22:44 »

Who ultimately owns the chassis - the AI (permanently gifted it by the human), or the human (who allows the AI to use it rent free on a landlord/tenant basis)? IOW, if Momo was to quit Marigold (unlikely given Momo's character, but play along), would she have to leave the chassis Marigold bought and head off to the cyberspace AI "job centre" to look for another human or other role (bank/nuclear sub/whatever)?

My answer would have been the AI having ownership, at least in a civilian/AnthroPC kind of relationship. To me it would make sense that the original chassis would be part of the "contract" between the AI and the human - choosing their chassis would be part of the "self-identity" choosing process that Jeph talked about.  That way if they did decide to split up, the reimbursement from the dealer would include the price of the original chassis and the AI would be free to go on its merry way.

But I just reread this bit in particular:
Quote from: Jeph
One would think that the majority of AIs would choose to simply be given a chassis and left to make their own way in the world, but the majority who do not go into a specialized profession choose to pair up with a human "owner."

The part about simply being "given" the chassis does seem to imply that in the alternative of living with a human, the human has at least some right to the chassis. So perhaps we must assume that it's a different situation for each individual contract.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #543 on: 02 Sep 2011, 23:16 »

The worst way to do it, which is therefore plausible, is that the law treats it like a divorce and a judge has to settle the property division.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #544 on: 02 Sep 2011, 23:29 »

Does Momo even sleep? Someone needs to start a "do robots sleep" thread to go with the love one. lol.
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Hmm...what's that book on the floor?
A copy of "Magical Love Gentleman", the anime/manga that Mari adores that only exists in the QC-verse.

Man, Marigold looks good in the tank top huh?
Actually, when you're as big as Mar-bear is (and I am), spaghetti strap tank tops SUCK!

Rule 34.  There's always  a followng.  

Hajime Soroyama! NICE!
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2011, 23:33 by Mad Cat »
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #545 on: 03 Sep 2011, 00:13 »

I wonder whether the QCverse would then also have problems with homeless AIs. You know, a worn-out old APC standing in the street corner, or at a bus station, holding a piece of cardboard with the text "Will code in C/manage your eels/whatnot for electricity". Not forgetting about the creepier possibilities.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #546 on: 03 Sep 2011, 02:24 »

And then.. Bladerunners!  :psyduck:

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #547 on: 03 Sep 2011, 04:12 »

I suspect some of the people in this thread have done horrible, horrible things to Norns.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #548 on: 03 Sep 2011, 06:03 »

I suspect some of the people in this thread have done horrible, horrible things to Norns.

In other words, we've all tempted fate?
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #549 on: 03 Sep 2011, 06:21 »

Different Norns (I had to look them up).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up