THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos can be pretty cool  (Read 559337 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Photos can be pretty cool
« Reply #300 on: 18 Mar 2012, 17:17 »

YOU FUCKING CACK I HATE YOU SHANE
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #301 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:22 »

I uh, I don't know who that is.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #302 on: 19 Mar 2012, 02:56 »

It's Frank Turner.

Certified all-round Good Dude, and an amazing songwriter.

Most men would go gay for him no questions asked.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #303 on: 19 Mar 2012, 03:13 »

Confirmed, I would definitely put that dude's penis in my mouth

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #304 on: 19 Mar 2012, 03:18 »

If "Long Live The Queen" doesn't make you at least a little bit emotional, then you have no soul.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #305 on: 19 Mar 2012, 09:09 »

For me, it's "Peggy Sang The Blues". I lost my grandmother on my mom's side when I was 9 or 10, and we always, always played cards.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #306 on: 19 Mar 2012, 09:35 »

That just reminded me of a cool story. A friend of mine was pretty bummed out last year - he had a marathon scheduled on the same day as a Frank Turner concert that he'd bought tickets to. He'd been training for the marathon for ages, and because of geography, couldn't do both. So he gave his sister his tickets, in she went in his stead. Anyway, that night his phone starts ringing. Unknown number. He answers the phone, and on the other end of the line is a voice belonging to Frank Turner, who says that he just rang up to congratulate him for finishing the marathon. Turns out, his sister had bumped into Frank after the show, and explained how bummed her brother was about not being able to go.

Also, The Ballad of Me and My Friends, fuckers.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #307 on: 19 Mar 2012, 12:57 »

All of these awesome stories about FT are half of why I want to go on tour and become similarly semi-famous. Because you have the power to make people's days SUPER RAD just by being a nice guy.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #308 on: 19 Mar 2012, 16:08 »

I don't want to pour cold water on this discussion because I listened to some of his music and he does seem quite good, but I wouldn't call him an English folk singer. Dude does not sing English folk music.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #309 on: 19 Mar 2012, 16:30 »

But he's from Winchester!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #310 on: 19 Mar 2012, 16:49 »

Actually, his self title is "skinny, half-arsed English country singer".

But he gets looped into folk punk, I suppose.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #311 on: 20 Mar 2012, 01:00 »

Dude can be from England and not be singing english folk music! I've never heard of folk punk either. Remember that what America calls folk music is more like what England calls country music - english folk is a totally different tradition.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #312 on: 20 Mar 2012, 08:13 »

...yyeeeeeaaaaaahhh, folk music's a different ball o' wax entirely.  Too many people label siger-songwriters as folk musicians.  They are not  the same, although there's overlap, as with all genres.  Woody Guthrie springs to mind - everything he wrote souded like it had been around forever. 

English folk makes me think of Child ballads.  And my entry into them, through Steeleye Span. 

Now, where did I put all those old records?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #313 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:52 »

New head.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #314 on: 20 Mar 2012, 22:05 »

Looks a lot like the old one. 

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #315 on: 21 Mar 2012, 01:55 »

Was it good head?

I'll show myself out.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #316 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:25 »

Back in highschool I used to do archery (there is no proper verb form). I was really into it for a few years and my dad got all excited that his bookish, unmanly son was interested in a sport and he bought me a really nice bow and a bunch of gear. Last few weeks I've been getting back into it and the other day I managed to drive down to the Olympic Park and practise with the new gear I'd bought.

Not bad for the first proper session in about seven years.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #317 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:35 »

Very cool!! I tried archery in High School.

And failed. Hard. That shit is NOT easy.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #318 on: 22 Mar 2012, 09:11 »

Back in highschool I used to do archery (there is no proper verb form). I was really into it for a few years and my dad got all excited that his bookish, unmanly son was interested in a sport and he bought me a really nice bow and a bunch of gear. Last few weeks I've been getting back into it and the other day I managed to drive down to the Olympic Park and practise with the new gear I'd bought.
Nice. (Shame about that one in the black.) I'd wish my dad bought archery gear for me, but I'm more glad he doesn't advocate the stereotypical view of manliness, on account of being a massive nerd - just like me. I did an introduction course to archery once as well, but after the initial lessons were over, the archery club did require you to buy your own bow, which we couldn't afford at that time. Still, I walked away with some good lessons, and it was pretty fun.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kenyahp

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #319 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:06 »

We had some bows as kids, my two brothers and I. I thought they were the coolest things.

But I was and probably am still so weak that I couldn't pull the strings of the bows and instead of helping me my dad just did that "well hahahahahaha you suck because you're a girl" thing. so.

I got back at him by being the awesome kid.

(Ps. Archery is badass. So, Jimmy The Squid, you are officially badass in my mind, no matter what. Forevvvvvvver.)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #320 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:20 »

I would probably have shot my eye out you crazy kid.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #321 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:19 »

I took an archery class my first semester in college, and found I was a lefty.  Bought a left handed 45 lb recurve - it's in the garage.  The arrows are in the attic.  haven't shot it since my SCA days, and the arrow rest broke off. 

I'll have to dig it out this summer... don't know where I'll fire it, though. 

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #322 on: 22 Mar 2012, 23:38 »

At all of the people that doubted you. IN THE FACE.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #323 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:38 »

I enjoyed the archery portion of phys. ed. when I was in high school. I want to get back into it in the SCA, but I too am hard-up for cash right now. Hopefully soon. Hoping to do both target and combat archery!

Kenyahp

« Reply #324 on: 23 Mar 2012, 08:50 »

You know what I had in HS PE? Running. We ran. Everyday. Into eternity. Which is probably why they didn't bother making you go passed the 10th grade. Then we just had like higher level pe that was optional and was still just running.

Man, you people are so much cooler than me.

Zingoleb

« Reply #325 on: 23 Mar 2012, 09:00 »

For PE in my school I just had irrational fits of rage and sulked behind the bleachers a lot.

I was can be a moody person sometimes.

(seriously, though, they never thought to look behind the bleachers for me)

Kenyahp

« Reply #326 on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:44 »

My teacher would try to make me and my friends do stuff. He'd look at the three of us, tell us to stretch and start running. We'd look back, say no, and that was that. Still got an A. I think the pure boldness made him not hate us?

I was also moody. Still am. Unfortunately, my friends would have looked behind the bleachers. Misery loves company.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #327 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:43 »

I never got why my high school PE teachers were always so emotionally invested in making people who didn't want to play sports, play sports. It's not like they were ever actually teaching us anything. They just picked a sport, and we had to play it for a while or else. Why, Mr. [NAME OMITTED], is it so important for you that I play football? WHY?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #328 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:35 »

There was one kid that was a little bitch in my PE class in 9th grade. During the hot months (in Arizona, no less) on Fridays we would all have to do a mile on the track then we got to go chill in the pool for the rest of class. No hard exercise, just playing in a pool. This one fucker would take like 18-20 minutes to walk the mile, even when more than half the class (everyone had already finished) went back and urged him to jog the last 100 feet or so to at least try and improve his time and get us into the goddamn pool faster. He just said no in this super snappy tone and so we all stopped liking him at all after he did it 2-3 weeks in a row.

Like, even the dude who was crazy overweight and was taking the class because you have to would jog in the last bit.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #329 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:39 »

Your problems would have been solved if every time he didn't run somebody would beat his ass into the pavement

I seriously despise people like that, gotta make everybody else suffer just 'cause they feel like it

WHY I OUGHTA

Kenyahp

« Reply #330 on: 23 Mar 2012, 12:51 »

Dude. Even I can WALK a 12 minute mile, what was he doing, shuffling? Thats terrible. I agree with Patrick. Not much on violence except in jest, but I would punch that kid.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #331 on: 23 Mar 2012, 13:22 »

One of my middle school gym teachers assumed that everyone knew how football worked, and just rattled off some stuff about what counted as a down. He was incorrect, so in addition to not being too good at throwing or catching, I had no idea what the rules or objectives were. Fun times.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #332 on: 23 Mar 2012, 19:57 »

Ok, I am about 4 days late (story of my life) but holy crap you guys i listened to Frank Turner for the first time and...well...wow.

I have a ridiculous amount of listening to do now.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Tellusora

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #333 on: 23 Mar 2012, 23:53 »

After going through this thread I have reached the conclusion that I must have the most uninteresting life ever. Band singers, choral festivals, Halloween madness, models, the whole gamut of lifestyles. You people are crazy! And I mean that in the exciting, 'I want to move to where you are' kinda way. (Also, this small cross-section seems to suggest that the QC readership is mostly comprised of white late-twenties). Anyone not from the US here? I wonder what the results of a poll would reveal about the demographics of QC readers.

Me looking stoned without being stoned. Actual camwhoring here, but it's one of the only pictures I have of myself so not sure if that really counts. (I hate photos cos I'm horribly unphotogenic in most circumstances)

Will check out this Frank Turner dude. In turn I recommend Amanda Palmer and The Dresden Dolls (her band but she's also a solo artist). Incredible stuff.

PS: If someone can tell me how to shrink photos I will give them a free hug. =)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #334 on: 24 Mar 2012, 00:52 »

demographics of QC readers.

I guess that this forum has a majority of people in their 20s from the US; but there are a lot from Britain as well, and from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Scandinavia, and elsewhere.  Also people of all ages: there are active contributors who are teens and a couple in their 70s.  This all reflects reasonably well the readership of the comic as Jeph has remarked on it in the past.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tellusora

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #335 on: 24 Mar 2012, 03:44 »

Well it's good to know we're such a diverse bunch, even if it is largely limited to the western sphere (which is to be expected, given that this is an English-language comic). I was just surprised that there weren't more from Asia, Africa and such, considering that QC is likely the largest/most popular/famous webcomic currently running (I realise that this may be wrong, but if so, what IS the most popular webcomic out there?).

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #336 on: 24 Mar 2012, 04:08 »

How about a photo of you doing something you enjoy? I'm sure you're plenty interesting. Nobody so curious can really be all that dull!

It's serious business throwback time. This is me at the age of 16 on Skye in Scotland.

For comparison, because I really have not changed in appearance much (I am now 23!), and yet I certainly have. From a few weeks ago while visiting friends in Berkeley. The young lady is a friend's little sister. We bear an uncanny resemblance to each other!

Coincidentally, both pictured hats are currently sitting beside my pillow.

ackblom12

« Reply #337 on: 24 Mar 2012, 04:17 »

Well it's good to know we're such a diverse bunch, even if it is largely limited to the western sphere (which is to be expected, given that this is an English-language comic). I was just surprised that there weren't more from Asia, Africa and such, considering that QC is likely the largest/most popular/famous webcomic currently running (I realise that this may be wrong, but if so, what IS the most popular webcomic out there?).

Penny Arcade by a large margin.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #338 on: 24 Mar 2012, 10:06 »

Patrick, I didn't know that Varg Vikernes was a SF fan.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #339 on: 24 Mar 2012, 14:22 »

How many times have I made Varg my FB picture.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #340 on: 24 Mar 2012, 14:59 »

I dunno I can't tell the difference between you two.

Zingoleb

« Reply #341 on: 24 Mar 2012, 16:42 »

except for all that pesky facial hair you'd make the prettiest girl, pat

(you even have the right name for it)

(pat)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #342 on: 24 Mar 2012, 19:09 »

A Viking shield I'm making.  The background was later painted in a cadmium red, but under certain light it looks almost orange, so I might repaint it in a darker red.  The only thing keeping me from doing that is that it took almost an hour to edge the jörmungandr before taking a larger brush to the shield.

If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #343 on: 24 Mar 2012, 20:41 »

...which is why you paint the background first...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #344 on: 24 Mar 2012, 23:27 »

Try a crimson. Can't go wrong with crimson.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #345 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:22 »

Patrick, I didn't know that Varg Vikernes was a SF fan.

Picture of me from a couple of years ago:

patrick we should totally start a varg lookalike club together

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #346 on: 25 Mar 2012, 23:07 »

YOUR TUNICS HAVE BEEN EATEN BY A GRUE, WHAT DO?
Go shirtless, bro.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #347 on: 26 Mar 2012, 14:06 »

Holy shit, TinPenguin, we both look like different angles and eras of Varg.

WELP TIME TO GO BURN DOWN A CHURCH

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #348 on: 26 Mar 2012, 20:01 »

...which is why you paint the background first...
Eh, regardless of whether the foreground or background goes on first, there still has to be edging to be done.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #349 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:40 »

So one time I wore some stilts.

boldly going nowhere
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69   Go Up