THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos can be pretty cool  (Read 563917 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Photos can be pretty cool
« Reply #1700 on: 24 Aug 2013, 13:30 »

I just want you to know how much I love your ink. And I also feel a little sad to see the hair go, but you do look good bald.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1701 on: 25 Aug 2013, 12:46 »

Looks good!!

And it's surprising how well you can pull off bangs too. If the bald thing doesn't work out, that might be a decent alternative.  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

ackblom12

« Reply #1702 on: 25 Aug 2013, 13:47 »

I will never not be happy with my Geek Life tattoo. It does, however, need some touch up work. Never got a touch up after it was done and I gained close to 100 lbs (and lost a a good chunk of that) during the interim. Not terrible, but I need to have a period where I have some spare money to do it. Also, I think I've definitely confirmed I like it. It is, however, a very weird change to get used to. There are some nice advantages, and disadvantages, to it though.

Pros:
A nice cool wind on a bare scalp during a hot day feels fantastic
No worrying about eating my hair during a meal
No untangling hair in the morning
In general, I'm a lot more comfortable during hot days
My ear jewelry will never be hidden by hair

Cons:
I really loved having long hair in general
Having Vitiligo, I get sunburned ridiculously easy. A sunburned scalp sounds like it would be miserable
This means I need to learn to not hate hats. Probably going to try and find a newsboy I don't hate
Ladies seemd to love playing with guys long, wavy hair

Also, Kat is desperately wanting me to grow it out for a few more days so she can pet the velvet fuzz. I might not do that.

Edit: Also I think that both the long hair and shaved scalp go equally well, though differently, with the goatee. That will never be shaved.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2013, 14:11 by ackblom12 »

Zingoleb

« Reply #1703 on: 25 Aug 2013, 14:11 »

Hi Kat! I'm in Murka again! Sadly far away from where you are, but if you find yourself near Seattle anytime soon, let me know.

The Girl lives in Puyallup, which is not that far from you. I plan on visiting her as soon as possible. Let's kick it.

oh man no no not puyallup, puyallup is awful

also i'm p. sure i'm closer to puyallup than kris? KRIS WHERE ARE YOU I'M IN OLYMPIA. HEY, I'M GONNA PM YOU, BUT I PROMISE TO BE LESS CAPS LOCKY ABOUT IT.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1704 on: 25 Aug 2013, 14:13 »

aimless: yr wedding was SUPER BEAUTIFUL WOW thank you for sharing that

elesia: i miss you and chris you two are super fkn adorable as always

steve: i hope this isn't weird but yr r. r. pretty.

ackblom12

« Reply #1705 on: 25 Aug 2013, 18:28 »

Not weird at all, thank you!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1706 on: 25 Aug 2013, 20:37 »

Steve I thought you looked pretty boss with the short hair, the benefits are that you can wear it sort of messy and no one really cares and also that your scalp will not get sunburned and you do not need to wear a hat.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

ackblom12

« Reply #1707 on: 25 Aug 2013, 20:46 »

Mehhhhh, I'm just gonna accept the shaved head now rather than wait. I'll end up doing it at some point anyways since not a single male on my mother's side of the family has hair on their dome after 40. I also ended up getting a sunburned scalp at the part in my hair a week or two ago, which was the point where I started putting serious thought into shaving sooner rather than later.

Papersatan

« Reply #1708 on: 25 Aug 2013, 21:18 »

He's so committed to bald, he won't even grow it out for one week so I have have the fuzzy. <pout> <grumpy grump>
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1709 on: 26 Aug 2013, 00:38 »

The Girl lives in Puyallup, BLAH BLAH BLAH

oh man no no not puyallup, puyallup is awful BLAH BLAH

that's not what Camille tells me! she sent me a picture once of this place called Dorky's which is a barcade. That's right, a fucking bar/arcade.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1710 on: 26 Aug 2013, 00:58 »

i've literally never heard a single good thing about the place. my only experiences going there were to visit my ex-girlfriend who lived there. seattle's better. olympia's better. hell, even tacoma's better.

but at least it's not renton.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1711 on: 26 Aug 2013, 06:27 »

I also ended up getting a sunburned scalp at the part in my hair a week or two ago, which was the point where I started putting serious thought into shaving sooner rather than later.

Urrghhhh sunburnt heads are the worst! I decided to get one braid put in my head while we were in Jamaica and the only part of me that didn't get any sunblock was the actual "part" created by the braid. It was SO friggin painful.

As a side note, I've recently discovered that 90 SPF sunblock actually does exist. And it does a damn good job! Invest in a bottle of that stuff, and you can continue hating hats if your heart so desires, without suffering the painful consequences.  :-D

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1712 on: 26 Aug 2013, 10:38 »

There is absolutely no point using anything above 50SPF sun cream. In fact, it's not legal to sell it in this country because it is misleading - 90SPF is no better than 50. If you use 50 properly, it provides 99% protection again UVB, and no sun cream properly protects against UVA anyway so you still need to keep out of the sun. 30 is something like 98% - a negligible difference.

If you want your sun cream to be more effective, apply more of it. Most people only use 1/4 of the recommended amount, meaning that they get about 1/3 of the potential protection. You should still stay in the shade and cover up as much as possible, because you're still at risk of cancers and radiation damage even if you're smothered in the stuff.

I have a friend who is a PhD bio-chemist taking a break in her medical degree, and who happens to have Albinism, so she is pretty passionate about this stuff.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1713 on: 26 Aug 2013, 10:47 »

elesia: i miss you and chris you two are super fkn adorable as always

We miss you tooooooo <3
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1714 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:05 »

Hmmm. I heard there was no difference but Nick didn't want to chance it while we were in Jamaica so I sucked it up and bought the 90. Last thing I wanted was to buy the 50 and have to hear him complain about getting burned. And it was the same price, so I figured why not? Only applying once in the AM each day, I didn't get one speck of color for the whole 6 days we were there (except on my non-lotioned head) and we spent all day, every day in the sun.

I've used 50 and been burned before, so it made sense to me that 90 was "better". Maybe we got a defective batch of 50SPF.  :?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1715 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:42 »

thanks for the info May. my mom is moving to Canberra, Australia within the month and that information's going to be incredibly handy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1716 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:44 »

There is absolutely no point using anything above 50SPF sun cream. In fact, it's not legal to sell it in this country because it is misleading

That must be why the one my wife bought the other day was labelled "50+".  And in what sense is it "misleading"?  If there is a standard for what these figures mean, and the products meet those standards, how is this misleading?  (If there is not a real standard, then the figures are misleading at all levels, of course.)

90SPF is no better than 50. If you use 50 properly, it provides 99% protection again UVB, and no sun cream properly protects against UVA anyway so you still need to keep out of the sun. 30 is something like 98% - a negligible difference.

Um, 98% to 99% is not a negligible difference.  What matters is what gets through - 2% versus 1% is twice as much.  If someone is still burning on that 1%, then halving it to 0.5% by using a factor 90 (I presume that how the factors work) is not pointless.  If it's unreliable because of ineffective use because the instructions are not followed properly, or are inadequate, that's a different thing again.

But your comment about UVA may make this all moot (making the figures meaningless, in effect).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ackblom12

« Reply #1717 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:51 »

In my case I'm actually considering trying out physical sunscreen rather than chemical sunscreen. The problem is that the physical sunscreen I'm interested in isn't available in the US, but it might be worth it to import it and see how it works for me.

Papersatan

« Reply #1718 on: 26 Aug 2013, 13:24 »

I think the issue with sunscreens of higher SPF, is that you usually need to reapply frequently enough that the coverage doesn't make a difference. 

The formula I always learned was that when properly applied you are protected for the time it takes you to burn times the spf number.  Example: 10 min in direct sun x 50 = 500 min or over 8 hours. The problem is your sunscreen will not last 8 hours without reapplication.  Even water resistant varieties will need to be reapplied, particularly if you are sweating, or swimming.   In this respect spf 90 is no better, because it still will have worn off.  However, if we are all underapplying, then there may be a difference in the actual protection received from a thin layer of 50, v a thin layer of 90. 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1719 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:18 »

When I see guys with shaved heads, I always imagine them in saffron robes. Yes, even Jason Statham (coming to a cinema near you in Transporter 4: Nirvana Or Bust, co-staring an actress with large breasts).

As for sunscreen, wear a hat! And a proper hat, not a baseball cap that doesn't protect your neck, ears, cheekbones etc. Seriously, I see so many older white Australian men with deep scars and obvious skin-grafts all over their heads and faces. And nobody looks good with obvious chunks of their ears or noses cut away. An advantage of being Asian, and living in a Chinatown, is that nobody thinks twice if I wear a douli, or carry a sun-umbrella. It would take a self-confident Western man to do either...
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2013, 16:27 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1720 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:32 »

That's why I am not ashamed to wear a sun hat that covers most of my shoulders as well. I burn easily and I don't fancy getting skin cancer. I tend to buy SPF 50 only because SPF 30 is only ever good if I'm outdoors less than 30min. Which is pretty much only when I take kids onto the playground at work and I stand in the shade as much as possible anyways, so who cares.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

« Reply #1721 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:35 »

My friend sent me a fancy sun-umbrella from China.  I don't use it daily, but I do take it on picnics and such to shade me. People always seem to be jealous.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1722 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:37 »

Kat explained it better than I did - what matters with sun cream is putting it on enough, and frequently enough.

Misleading because even SPF 100 would not be 100% effective. The difference between SPF 50 and SPF 90 is so small that it is in effect non-existent, and yet people would believe that 90 was better and be prepared to pay more for it.

But yes, the UVA issue makes it all meaningless because sun cream does not provide complete protection and might encourage complacency. Kind of like how some people argue that wearing a cycle helmet encourages some people to cycle less carefully.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1723 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:56 »

As for sunscreen, wear a hat! And a proper hat, not a baseball cap that doesn't protect your neck, ears, cheekbones etc.

/agree

That said, I don't yet own said hat.  I usually wear a baseball cap with minor sentimental value.  I'm still trying to decide if I'm a Stetson guy, or if something else fits better.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1724 on: 28 Aug 2013, 06:11 »

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1725 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:54 »

I have a huge floppy pink sun hat which makes me joyous. I haven't had occasion to wear it at all this summer :( The really sunny hot weather was while I was living out of a suitcase, and that hat does not like suitcases.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1726 on: 28 Aug 2013, 11:23 »

I had a nice woven straw one my wife got from an amish store for a couple of years.  I loved it, it didn't look stupid - had a nice crown shape, and a broad enough brim to be protective wit ha tight enough weave to keep me uunburnt. 

The dog ate it last year when she was a puppy. 

I need  new one.  The baseball caps are OK, but not as sharp or protective. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1727 on: 28 Aug 2013, 12:02 »

since my mom's moving to Australia and since I plan to visit her there next year, I am reminded of the fact that there is a western wear outfitter right in the middle of downtown Livermore, and I rejoice, for I can have any Stetson my little heart desires.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1728 on: 28 Aug 2013, 15:02 »

The more appropriate hat for down this way is visible in my pic.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1729 on: 28 Aug 2013, 17:26 »

Whenever you say things like that I look at your avatar picture and then get confused.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1730 on: 28 Aug 2013, 17:56 »

i forgot to mention that i bleached my hair:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1731 on: 28 Aug 2013, 19:51 »

I like it!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

mtmerrick

« Reply #1732 on: 28 Aug 2013, 23:35 »

Aw, you're no longer Clinton :P

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1733 on: 29 Aug 2013, 04:42 »

I like it too! Also like the lipstick.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1734 on: 29 Aug 2013, 07:52 »

Blue Lips!
quick.
somebody get that girl on a respirator.
:D
Tis a different kind of Cool.  Nice
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1735 on: 29 Aug 2013, 12:05 »

@may - it's actually eyeshadow, but it makes gr8 lipstick. thanks!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1736 on: 29 Aug 2013, 14:40 »

The more appropriate hat for down this way is visible in my pic.

what pic are you talking about, you haven't posted one on this whole page.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1737 on: 29 Aug 2013, 15:10 »

This thread features a large collection of astonishingly beautiful, colourful, delightful and fantastically gorgeous heads. Heartfelt congratulations to Ackblom's in particular. There's no turning back, and no need to =)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #1738 on: 30 Aug 2013, 04:57 »

Wow really like the hair, Unicorn.  thumbs up!

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #1739 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:44 »

told ya I'm a slow, easy target.

6 impacts within 3-5 seconds.
3 in the arm, 2 in torso and 1 in the groin.
I'm actually showing off my pain(t) collection here.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #1740 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:35 »

So my dad took a picture of me.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1741 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:53 »

So, my sister took a picture of me.
My Art.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1742 on: 30 Aug 2013, 15:11 »

Dawww, you look cute in your Dad's lap   ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #1743 on: 30 Aug 2013, 15:54 »

I like the way you appear to have a contemplative man sat on your left shoulder, especially as he's making eyes at the nonplussed woman on your right shoulder.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1744 on: 30 Aug 2013, 17:14 »

Beopuppy has a shoulder angel and a shoulder devil, and neither of them have any advice for calming a crying child.  :evil: :angel:
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Papersatan

« Reply #1745 on: 30 Aug 2013, 18:04 »

Bathroom selfie

Cold I be any shiner?

Not so bad with the flash off, but it makes my hair off color :/

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1746 on: 30 Aug 2013, 18:16 »

Could be shiner if you put water or something that reflects light well like that on your face.  :-P  Actually, the shine is not really bad.

Nice hair, though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #1747 on: 30 Aug 2013, 22:52 »

Beopuppy has a shoulder angel and a shoulder devil, and neither of them have any advice for calming a crying child.  :evil: :angel:
I hadn't noticed. I LOL'ed, to use the vernacular.
My Art.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #1748 on: 31 Aug 2013, 15:31 »

I just got the most kickass fully adjustable (as in the head end raises up in two places) double bed with slightly smaller mattress for 60 euros.

My new place is already the best. 200cm x 200xm and could fit another one next to it!
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1749 on: 31 Aug 2013, 23:55 »

I feel like I only come in here to post photos nowadays, but that's because I am doing things and taking photos all the time so internetting gets in the background. Anyway, I have three cats to play with here, three!

Also, we went to a beach. It was nicer than it seems, the reason why I'm so squinty is because it was really bright out.

Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69   Go Up