THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's FRI-DAY! That means: What was the MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Marten and I are going to go get a beer.
- 2 (3.1%)
W-we are? "We are."
- 5 (7.7%)
Tell Faye I loved her!
- 12 (18.5%)
I mean, not in a romantic way... YANK!
- 8 (12.3%)
So, uh, is this about Padma? "Yes."
- 0 (0%)
"I'm sorry, Elliot, but Weeping Hour is only on Thursdays."
- 3 (4.6%)
You've been into her all this time and never said anything?
- 0 (0%)
Been here for three years. Boss offered her a promotion if she stayed.
- 0 (0%)
...Are you taking NOTES?
- 8 (12.3%)
My life has been entirely devoid of pathos! This is primo material!
- 4 (6.2%)
I thought you were gonna kick my @$$.
- 0 (0%)
Big, unrealistic fantasy.
- 0 (0%)
DEFINITELY not gonna happen if you don't tell her.
- 0 (0%)
You think I have a chance?
- 0 (0%)
Faye gets informed about the hike
- 0 (0%)
I'm pretty sure he could take you in a fight.
- 1 (1.5%)
She's moving back to LA in a few weeks.
- 0 (0%)
You did it before, you better not do it again.
- 3 (4.6%)
Actually, I never would have met all you guys if I hadn't...
- 5 (7.7%)
Stop it you are frightening me
- 14 (21.5%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2021-2025 (26-30 Sep 2011)  (Read 91107 times)

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
Re: WCDT: 2021-2025 (26-30 Sep 2011)
« Reply #50 on: 26 Sep 2011, 07:43 »

Poor Elliot if he's interestedi in Hannelore. 

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 26 Sep 2011, 08:21 »

Tell Angus he's still not over her.

...Hannelore?!
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #52 on: 26 Sep 2011, 09:01 »

When I first came into the office and opened up to QC, I laughed out loud. I was glad that there was no one around me, as then I would have been thrown into the no-fun zone.

Loved Padma's "Buh" face, combined with Momo slowly becoming more concerned as Elliott drags our protagonist off to the bar. I really want to see how this plays out.

also, to give in my two cents, I think Marten is going for comedic value here. his sense of humor often gets the better of him. Besides, saying it about his ex instead of a friend would be even more awkward.

*goes back to look at the comic and resumes giggling*

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #53 on: 26 Sep 2011, 09:15 »

More proof he's only attracted to Padma and doesn't actually like her like he does Faye

He barely knows Padma. It'd be a bit strange if his feelings for her were on par with his feelings for Faye, even if he doesn't still carry a torch for Faye. Relationships -- both romantic and Platonic -- take time to develop. A close friend is going to be, well, closer than a girl you met at a coffee shop and have only hung out with socially once (twice, I suppose, if we're counting the awkward moment in the bar).

Forgotmytea

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #54 on: 26 Sep 2011, 10:59 »

I dont find it surprising that, joking or not, the first girl Marten thinks of is Faye.  I still say he would date her in a heartbeat if she dumped Angus and asked him out, even though he continually says he only likes her "as a friend". 

More proof he's only attracted to Padma and doesn't actually like her like he does Faye.
Or he just thought of her because she's his best friend.

Celsian

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #55 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:14 »

I dont find it surprising that, joking or not, the first girl Marten thinks of is Faye.  I still say he would date her in a heartbeat if she dumped Angus and asked him out, even though he continually says he only likes her "as a friend".  

More proof he's only attracted to Padma and doesn't actually like her like he does Faye.

I think most of us are forgetting to take into account that he lives with the girl... It's not uncommon for roommates, especially ones that get along as well as Marten and Faye, to have a unique bond that you don't really share with anyone else. Faye would be devastated if she lost Marten, just like Marten would be devastated if he lost Faye, so it's not strange to me that his last words to her would be 'I love you.' (In the platonic sense.)

If anything I think his clarification in the final frame is to let Padma know he's not still pining over Faye, even though Padma doesn't know about all the drama between Marten and Faye. Most of the characters bring it up regularly and Marten is constantly having to fight off accusations that he still wants to be with her.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:26 »

Another question from Celsian:
Quote from: Celsian
Hi Guys,
I guess I should start with the fact that I only started reading QC about a month ago and completely fell in love. I went through 1,990 strips over the course of about six days. (There wasn't a lot to do at work that week!) Anyways, I guess I was spoiled because I'm getting anxious only being able to read one a day. That being said, I guess the best way to deal with the withdrawals is discussion!

My question is this: What's with the drama between Marten and Elliot? I won't say "it's obvious that..." because nothing in Questionable Content ever seems as obvious as Jeph makes it out to be, but it seems very likely that both Marten and Elliot are into Padma and that Elliot is jealous of how Padma's has taken to Marten so quickly, but Padma's leaving so what does it really matter? Does Elliot really need to have some jealousy freak out on Marten when Padma won't be around long enough for it to make a difference?

If only Elliot knew how great a guy Marten really is, but that never seems to matter to jealous freaks = (

It's conceivable that Elliot is trying clumsily to stop Marten being afraid of him. He's not doing it very well if so.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #57 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:47 »

I dont find it surprising that, joking or not, the first girl Marten thinks of is Faye.  I still say he would date her in a heartbeat if she dumped Angus and asked him out, even though he continually says he only likes her "as a friend".  

I think most of us are forgetting to take into account that he lives with the girl... It's not uncommon for roommates, especially ones that get along as well as Marten and Faye, to have a unique bond that you don't really share with anyone else. Faye would be devastated if she lost Marten, just like Marten would be devastated if he lost Faye, so it's not strange to me that his last words to her would be 'I love you.' (In the platonic sense.)

If anything I think his clarification in the final frame is to let Padma know he's not still pining over Faye, even though Padma doesn't know about all the drama between Marten and Faye. Most of the characters bring it up regularly and Marten is constantly having to fight off accusations that he still wants to be with her.

If Faye dumped Angus and kissed Marten, would he push her away and say "No, I only love you as a friend, don't do that"?  He would kiss her back because he loves her, and has only accepted that she doesn't feel the same way.  Yes, they are friends but in moments of weakness he is still sad about it and rightfully so.

Last words are normally directed at people you love like your significant other, parents, even a pet, but rarely at a random friend.  The fact that Faye's name popped in his head first is telling, and Marten quickly tries to cover up what he said.  He's trying to convince everyone, including himself, that he doesn't love her but it's not fooling me.  If he could be with anyone, it'd be Faye.

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:59 »

If Faye dumped Angus and kissed Marten, would he push her away and say "No, I only love you as a friend, don't do that"?  He would kiss her back because he loves her, and has only accepted that she doesn't feel the same way.  Yes, they are friends but in moments of weakness he is still sad about it and rightfully so.

Last words are normally directed at people you love like your significant other, parents, even a pet, but rarely at a random friend.  The fact that Faye's name popped in his head first is telling, and Marten quickly tries to cover up what he said.  He's trying to convince everyone, including himself, that he doesn't love her but it's not fooling me.  If he could be with anyone, it'd be Faye.

I think Marton would push her away in shock....

Does he love her in the romantic way? Not really anymore. If he still loved Faye in that way, then he wouldn't have lasted as long with Dora - and he certainly wouldn't be mourning for the breakup as he did at the time. He is still in part in pain over the breakup by the fact he still hasn't been to Coffee of Doom when Dora has been there. He certainly wouldn't be so relaxed over Angus etc staying over if he wasn't ok with the fact Faye will never be his and from that he has moved on as well. Unless lots of alcohol is consumed by both both while both are on an emotional low, they aren't going to dance the horizontal tango with each other.

I think it is fair to say Martin now loves her as a friend and will always be close to her, but no more. The correction of "not in a romantic way" is probably a combination of letting Padma know he isn't interested in Faye that way, plus maybe to stop issues for Faye if it made her feel awkward now she is with Angus.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #59 on: 26 Sep 2011, 13:12 »

EDIT: Warning - while you were typing... - John, you beat me to it, but here's what you said, just how I would say it.

Realistically (I feel silly using that word about the comic, but there it is), if Faye dumped Angus and kissed Marten, I think that would be too much even for our manatee on codeine. He's probably played every possible version of that scenario in his mind over and over, and come to the inevitable conclusion that, to paraphrase Aaron Sprinkle (of the band Fair, check 'em out), if she fell in love with him, he couldn't fall in love with her. It just wouldn't work between them anymore. She's done enough to him that while he can still see her as probably his closest friend, there could never be anything more, and that's one of the unspoken understandings between them that close friends have.

Anyway, enough about that. I will be disappointed if they show up at the bar NOT dressed in Victorian clothing.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #60 on: 26 Sep 2011, 13:22 »

All I know is that in this situation, I wouldn't say "tell X I love him/her," no matter how close we were, unless there were something between us.  The fact that it's the first thing to come to his mind, and he doesn't seem to realize until after just what he's said, is a big red flag.

Possibly "tell her I love her but she needs to cut out the coke."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 26 Sep 2011, 13:34 »

I think it is once again time to defeat awkwardness with maximum ridiculousity.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #62 on: 26 Sep 2011, 13:36 »

Last words are normally directed at people you love like your significant other, parents, even a pet, but rarely at a random friend.

Except she's not a "random friend". She's his roommate, has been for a long time and his best friend. With Angus and Faye's relationship still being young, I'd almost say they're the most important people in each other's everyday lives and yes, it's possible to have that bond without romance.
I would consider random someone like Natasha who we haven't seen in a long time or someone with very little interaction with Marten lately. I repeat that Marten and Faye live together so even though we haven't seen much interaction in comic, it's always implied they are just because of their living situation.
I'm not sure what moment of weaknesses there have been other than when Marten got drunk. There's been a lot more instances of Marten and Faye saying they're ust friends. We have seen Marten talking to himself, when he thought no one could hear him so he has no reason to lie, confirm to himself he doesn't have romantic feelings for Faye any more. Possibly between the break-up and before Faye and Angus consummated their relationship, he didn't know how he would feel about her romantically. However he said himself he didn't think he would be bitter or jealous and quickly realized he really does just love her as a friend and is happy for her new relationship.
Also as others have said, you don't throw a celebration for the person you're pining for having sex with another person and then do "the thing" with the other person.

I would guess if your hypothetical scenario happened, Marten would not be happy. After all the time and drama it would not be a wanted event, especially when they have developed the different, non-romantic bond that they have now.

*EDIT: Whoa, sorry for the textbrick.

I agree with Skaltura. Maximum ridiculousity is needed.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 26 Sep 2011, 13:58 »

Oh dear.

Awkwardness approaches.  Time for Maximum Ridiculosity to enter the picture again.

Elliott will brobably wind up crying in his Beer.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 26 Sep 2011, 14:00 »

If we are truly devoted to the Overanalysis Game, then we will note that Marten used the past tense: "I loved her", not "I love her". This is ambiguous but we could take it to mean that he wanted Faye to know of his feelings before he learned that a romantic relationship was impossible and began to accept that emotionally.

No, wait, that doesn't work. If that's what he meant then he wouldn't have seen the need for the "clarification" at the end.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jugulum

« Reply #65 on: 26 Sep 2011, 14:18 »

The main data is Elliot's reaction in 2013, and now this in today's 2021.

From 2013, I thought Elliot was interested in (or already involved with) Padma.

But today's feels more protective of Padma than jealous.  And "back off my woman" doesn't seem like a terribly interesting or QC-like plotline.

So, my guess is that Elliot is going to tell Martin something like, "Be extraordinarily careful" or "Don't go after Padma."  He'll say, "She's is very easy to hurt, because of __[some details about her or her past]____."  Maybe with some "I've heard about some of the screwed-up drama you've been involved in" thrown in.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2011, 14:39 »

Heh: why is it so easy to overanalyze QC? or any long-form well-written episode storytelling? This IS the reason there's so much Harry Potter fanfic out there. 

Maybe, like so many Indian people, they just don't really consider dating outside their race. 

SQUEEZE BOX

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2011, 14:48 »

@cold - You could argue that he used the past tense because he assumed that by the time she got the message, he'd be dead.

@Throg - Why would anyone want to limit themselves like that?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2011, 14:51 »

You don't know much about India, do you? Just Google the word "caste system" and you'll realize the answer.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:23 »

I am still sad about the breakdown of my first marriage (that was a relationship of 23 years, so probably a stronger link than Marten's never-quite-a-relationship with Faye); but if my first wife turned up at the door proclaiming that our separation was all a terrible mistake, I would not, I assure you, fall into her arms.  The world has moved on, we have moved on, and it could never be the same again.  All the time, everywhere, people change; circumstances change; feelings change - so it seems odd to me that you invest so much in the unchangeability of something that was never even fully formed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #70 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:26 »

You have to wonder if the process of putting the older strips together has affected how Jeph is coming up with his storylines for the current comic.

Just sayin', of course.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:33 »

So Elliot dragged Marten off for a 'beer'.  You know what that means, right?

Padma takes Momo on a 'girls night out' and gets her wasted on natural oil and she wakes up next to Pintsize as he's 'plugging in'.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:36 »

Just sayin', of course.

I think Jeph said as much in an interview or on tumblr somewhere, didn't he?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #73 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:40 »

You don't know much about India, do you? Just Google the word "caste system" and you'll realize the answer.
Why would that apply to someone like Padma who was almost certainly born in the US?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #74 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:49 »

Elliot, Elliot, Elliot.. just get yourself an old-timey theater hook, they're much more efficent at yanking people off-panel.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #75 on: 26 Sep 2011, 15:52 »

Why would that apply to someone like Padma who was almost certainly born in the US?

Immigrant communities can be very tight (and demanding). I know it's certainly the case in Britain that many Indians only date/marry other Indians. Admittedly, this tends to be in situations where the community is such that other Indians make up the entirety of their socialising. For an example of how even second or third generations immigrants can behave in these matters, I had it verbatim from a Muslim friend who said she would never "go with" anyone who wasn't Muslim, and though I doubt that would be such an issue for Hindus, religion, tradition and or/culture can play an important part in this. Padma, however, seems very free of that kind of thing, and I really don't think that it is the matter at hand here. It is an interesting thought, though.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 26 Sep 2011, 16:12 »

Immigrant communities can be very tight (and demanding). I know it's certainly the case in Britain that many Indians only date/marry other Indians. Admittedly, this tends to be in situations where the community is such that other Indians make up the entirety of their socialising. For an example of how even second or third generations immigrants can behave in these matters, I had it verbatim from a Muslim friend who said she would never "go with" anyone who wasn't Muslim, and though I doubt that would be such an issue for Hindus, religion, tradition and or/culture can play an important part in this. Padma, however, seems very free of that kind of thing, and I really don't think that it is the matter at hand here. It is an interesting thought, though.
Don't confuse religion and race when it comes to relationships pls. Many Christians won't date non-Christians either, or even outside their peculiar denomination, but that doesn't preclude them dating people with wildly variant ethno-genetic histories. As long as they have the religion in common. Also the issue of religious conversion exists - it is rather more difficult to engineer a total somatic gene-conversion, much less make it do anything other than cause cancer.

And while the endogamy problem is particularly pronounced in first and second generation immigrants, it is so pronounced in all immigrant sub-cultures, not just ones that originate in regions where castes are a matter of legal force. Interestingly, though, it almost never applies to individuals who immigrate independently of others from the same locale, or that settle outside established "<ethnicity>-quarter"s.

As for Padma, the fact that she wants/is prepared to move across the country would seem to indicate that she has her own ideas on the topic; the sort of tight-knit groups that discourage relationships outside of the group tend to be geographically small and also tend to discourage moving hundreds or thousands of miles away.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #77 on: 26 Sep 2011, 16:26 »

Don't confuse religion and race when it comes to relationships pls.

I wasn't, I was simply musing that the one often comes part and parcel with the other. After all, Hinduism is as much to do with culture as it is to with religion; it is not so evangelistic as the Abrahamic lot.

Anyway, our long posts are both irrelevant, as we have both said Padma is clearly outside of that kind of community.

I think whatever is on Elliott's mind is something to do with Elliott, not Padma. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would start speaking for someone else, when most of the time he has enough trouble speaking for himself.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #78 on: 26 Sep 2011, 16:27 »

I am still sad about the breakdown of my first marriage (that was a relationship of 23 years, so probably a stronger link than Marten's never-quite-a-relationship with Faye); but if my first wife turned up at the door proclaiming that our separation was all a terrible mistake, I would not, I assure you, fall into her arms.  The world has moved on, we have moved on, and it could never be the same again.  All the time, everywhere, people change; circumstances change; feelings change - so it seems odd to me that you invest so much in the unchangeability of something that was never even fully formed.

If you were really drunk you probably wouldn't try to make out with her either.  So there's a difference.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #79 on: 26 Sep 2011, 16:31 »

... I am still sad about the breakdown of my first marriage (that was a relationship of 23 years, so probably a stronger link than Marten's never-quite-a-relationship with Faye); but if my first wife turned up at the door proclaiming that our separation was all a terrible mistake, I would not, I assure you, fall into her arms.

I would never presume to comment on your situation, but Faye's not going to "show up at Marten's door." She's going to be sitting on the couch, or heading into the kitchen in search of the ice cream in the freezer ... she lives there, a reminder of what could have been. Marten and Faye both know that; indeed, Marten has had to talk himself out of being bothered by the fact Faye and Angus are an item. Angus has been worried at least once that Faye's torch still smolders for Marten -- and Faye ... well, you can argue her comments in recent strips make her a cruel bitch or you can argue she's putting up a wall of sass to protect herself and Marten, who's not sure (even if some of us are) why his feelings are hurt by the comment about the beauty of Angus-booty.

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #80 on: 26 Sep 2011, 16:57 »

Thanks for responding, people.  I guess I've just never thought about that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wimblesaurus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #81 on: 26 Sep 2011, 17:03 »

Probably the same reason Faye's feelings were hurtwhen Marten agreed with Veronica that Farten would have been a terrible couple.  It's probably just a blow to the ol' self-esteem.

And yes, I know shipmanteaus are verbotten, but dammit, Farten's just too funny not to use.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #82 on: 26 Sep 2011, 18:22 »

If you were really drunk you probably wouldn't try to make out with her either.  So there's a difference.

There is no situation where you can't drag in that comic to prop up your own prejudices, is there?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #83 on: 26 Sep 2011, 18:25 »

And yes, I know shipmanteaus are verbotten, but dammit, Farten's just too funny not to use.
Most people grow out of potty humor somewhere around grade school.
(Just in time to start making sex jokes instead.)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #84 on: 26 Sep 2011, 18:52 »

That's a lie and you know it.  Well, half of it's a lie.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #85 on: 26 Sep 2011, 19:10 »

I got into a massive argument with Akima over the whole Indian thing back when Padma first appeared, so I'll strive not to get into it again. For now, speaking from experience, I corroborate the difficulty of outsiders enjoying healthy relationships with members of these groups, as the constant tentacle to pull back those who try to deviate from the accepted can be too much to overcome.

Also, I forgot to mention that I agree with Akima and snubnose that Elliott will do our wimpy protagonist no harm.

There is no situation where you can't drag in that comic to prop up your own prejudices, is there?

I was thinking the same thing myself...

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #86 on: 26 Sep 2011, 19:17 »

Heh: why is it so easy to overanalyze QC?

Because we all have no lives, thats why.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 26 Sep 2011, 20:16 »

I don't over-analyze QC.  But then again, I do over-analyze things in real life too much.

...agreed with Veronica that Farten would have been a terrible couple.  It's probably just a blow to the ol' self-esteem.
Am I the only one who giggled uncontrollably at this?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #88 on: 26 Sep 2011, 20:53 »

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts."

There's no situation where people don't reference Marten saying he's ok with them dating either while lying in bed, however, I've had the same moments after a breakup where I feel like I'm completely over it and the next day upset all over again.  So I'm not buying it.  In my experience though alcohol is a truth serum for the majority of people. Marten didn't just make up those thoughts, they were always there and when uninhibited he let them out.

Remember this, there will be a day when Marten and Faye are both single and Marten will try again.  He'd try now if she was, but she isn't.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #89 on: 26 Sep 2011, 21:22 »

As for Padma, the fact that she wants/is prepared to move across the country would seem to indicate that she has her own ideas on the topic; the sort of tight-knit groups that discourage relationships outside of the group tend to be geographically small and also tend to discourage moving hundreds or thousands of miles away.
Well, Padma obviously moved to Northampton before we met her, but her forthcoming move is going back home to her family.

I got into a massive argument with Akima over the whole Indian thing back when Padma first appeared, so I'll strive not to get into it again. For now, speaking from experience, I corroborate the difficulty of outsiders enjoying healthy relationships with members of these groups, as the constant tentacle to pull back those who try to deviate from the accepted can be too much to overcome.
It isn't easy to develop good relationships for anyone, in any circumstances, but cross-cultural relationships do add another layer of difficulty to overcome, I think. And in my observation, any "tentacle" pull (tentacle? :roll: ) is at least fully matched by the rejecting "push" from outside "these groups".
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2011, 06:46 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 26 Sep 2011, 21:29 »

"A drunk man's words are a drunk man's thoughts."

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, the forum has discussed it back and forth. We know your opinion (a confusing one from someone who also believes that he is still getting over Dora) and you know ours. But none of it has any bearing on an entirely different comic containing a line which was obviously put there for comedic purposes, and which you've interpreted the way you have because you have brought the "truth" that you took away from a totally different comic to colour your interpretation of this one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #91 on: 26 Sep 2011, 21:32 »

Faye has moved on.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

vsonics

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 26 Sep 2011, 21:37 »

Whether Marten is harboring deep rooted feelings for Faye and lying to himself and everyone else or not, I don't think that his comment today can be considered sincere. Elliot may be one scary dude and being pulled off by him may be way disconcerting, but does anyone seriously think he's gonna hurt Marten? Including Marten?

I took it as a joke, in which "Faye" was pretty much interchangeable with "my mom." Except that the company there knows Faye. And it gave a much better lead in to his clarification two panels later. In which he wasn't back tracking to hide feelings but only making it clear to the baker lady he's pretty into that he is totally single and ready to mingle.

Plus it's actually a joke that way.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #93 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:00 »

"A drunk man's words are a drunk man's thoughts."

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, the forum has discussed it back and forth. We know your opinion (a confusing one from someone who also believes that he is still getting over Dora) and you know ours. But none of it has any bearing on an entirely different comic containing a line which was obviously put there for comedic purposes, and which you've interpreted the way you have because you have brought the "truth" that you took away from a totally different comic to colour your interpretation of this one.

It's not that confusing.  Marten has no goals in life and what little effort he puts into things it's towards finding a girl, any girl.  He'd probably take Dora back at this point even after everything.  Faye, no doubt he would date her.  Padma is good looking and, well that's about it for Marten, but good enough.  I mean, if your Marten, what other reason is there to get up in the morning? His job still isn't great, most of his friends are dating so he's a third wheel, he's making no effort to break free of the work/coffee/bar cycle other than replacing coffee with pastries.

I don't see how Marten trying to force himself io his friend and being knocked out is humorous at all, just eye-opening.  Not everything in QC is funny, there is character development.

Please dont quote me if you're going to change my words, that's rude.  While you and some others might not agree that drunk people are more likely to say what's on their mind truthfully, I don't.  I will continue to use that comic until I feel Marten has moved on completely from her...both today's strip and the booty insult strip are begging to differ.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:07 »

I'm not confused. And not every word spoken in QC is character development, either.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #95 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:12 »

Poor Elliot if he's interestedi in Hannelore.  

I don't think so.

If we are truly devoted to the Overanalysis Game, then we will note that Marten used the past tense: "I loved her", not "I love her". This is ambiguous but we could take it to mean that he wanted Faye to know of his feelings before he learned that a romantic relationship was impossible and began to accept that emotionally.

No, wait, that doesn't work. If that's what he meant then he wouldn't have seen the need for the "clarification" at the end.

It means he's considering himself a dead man.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #96 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:19 »

You know, sometimes a cigar joke is just a cigar joke. 

Jeh's writing a comic.  Sometimes, he goes for teh laffs!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #97 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:20 »

The whole "FTFY" bit where you quote someone and change their words is well established on the internet and even within this forum. I'm fairly certain everyone understood that he was simply disagreeing with you, not trying to make anyone actually think that was what you said.

Anyway, I would agree with what Akima seems to be saying, that it is a combination of inside and outside forces that keep some ethnic communities "closed" to others. I would also agree with those who have said that Padma doesn't seem to be a part of this type of group.

Stoutflies, I give you points for using new comics, but then take them away for rehashing old ones that have been argued over more times than I care to think about. In my mind, both of the new comics regarding Marten and Faye are easily explained, but I can see how they could also point to what you're getting at, so I won't discount that idea. I think that's the closest I'm ever going to get to agreeing with you though, considering history, so take that fwiw.

EDIT: Three times?!? Warning - while you were typing...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:36 »

Yes, thanks for explaining the FTFY thing. You're spot on.

Stoutflies, I give you points for using new comics, but then take them away for rehashing old ones that have been argued over more times than I care to think about. In my mind, both of the new comics regarding Marten and Faye are easily explained, but I can see how they could also point to what you're getting at, so I won't discount that idea. I think that's the closest I'm ever going to get to agreeing with you though, considering history, so take that fwiw.

I can go along with this myself. My point is simply that he is letting his interpretation of new comics be very heavily coloured (to put it mildly) by a previous comic that I can only suppose pressed his emotional buttons.

I've been tempted to over-analyze the comic myself in order to really establish my point, but I really hate explaining jokes. It just kills the humour.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #99 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:37 »

he's making no effort to break free of the work/coffee/bar cycle other than replacing coffee with pastries.
He's restarted, or at least tried to restart the band, in a conscious effort to break out of his rut and pursue what he wants from life. It's possible that he won't follow through, in which case it will be fair to criticize him for not following through, but the effort is there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up