THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just moved to Boston..  (Read 2201 times)

Pillow

• Not quite a lurker
  • Jam a bastard in it, you crap
Just moved to Boston..
« on: 27 Sep 2011, 09:36 »

Just got out of the service, and am looking to enjoy life after several years in fun-deprivation mode. I was stationed in Connecticut for a few years, and have made a lot of brief visits here prior, so I'm familiar with areas like Newbury Street, the aquarium, and whatnot. So, now that I have the time to really enjoy being here, I'm looking for some fun places to go to, and would appreciate it if those of you living here could give me some advice. Like a place to get a good cup of coffee that isn't a Starbucks. Places to see bands at. Independent book and comic stores and small restaurants. And, since I'm probably going to slowly ease into drinking, maybe some decent bars. Anywhere that you all would recommend to someone who considers this city a home he hasn't gotten a chance to live in yet, really.

And, I suppose, I'm also looking to meet people I could get along with, but one thing at a time, I suppose.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
Re: Just moved to Boston..
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2011, 20:27 »

Places to see bands, in no particular order: Church (Fenway), The Midway Cafe (JP), McGann's (North End), The Precinct(Union Sq. Somerville), The Middle East (Central Sq. Cambridge), The Cantab (Central), All Asia (Central), Ryle's Jazz Lounge (Inman Sq. Cambridge), The Lilypad sometimes (Inman), a ton of other places in Allston, Great Scott, Brighton Music Hall etc. As well as the usual suspects like the Paradise Rock Club, House of Blues etc. Most of the bars have live music on the weekends.

As for comics, there's always Newbury Comics, and you can find smaller gaming/comic stores here and there as well. I believe there's one on Mass ave across from the Christian Science reading center, near Symphony, and I know there's one in Davis square as well.

I don't really buy coffee so I can't help you there. Redbones in Davis Square is the best BBQ anywhere around the city, McKenna's in Dorchester is an amazing breakfast/lunch/coffee place. South Street Diner near South Station is open 24 hrs unlike basically everything else in the city, and Victoria's on Mass ave near South Bay Center is open 24 hours on Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Good Bars by location:
Cambridge: The Middle East, Bukowski's (awesome), Christopher's, some others, but those ones are solid.
Allston: The Sunset Cafe/Cantina (has more beer than you can possibly imagine, good food, mead, good drinks etc.), The White Horse Tavern, I guess Wonderbar if you like a more club-ish scene, but it's not for me.
JP: The Brendan Behan Pub (just a no-nonsense small Irish bar. Home to basically anyone around Hyde Square), The Midway Cafe (exceptionally divey)
Dorchester: Savin Bar & Kitchen, the Harp and Bard
Somerville: Underbones (bar under Redbones), The Burren, The Precinct

Good luck! Be warned, things close unfortunately early in the city, the T especially.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2011, 06:46 »

And if you like a little live music with yr drinky drinks, Johnny D's in Somerville. It's literally right next to the Davis Square T station.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Pillow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:16 »

Thanks for the replies!

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2011, 16:44 »

also, forgot the Orpheum and Wilbur theatres for music.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2011, 21:30 »

Hey James, can you hold my spot on the Tobin?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2011, 22:12 »

UGH

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2011, 02:50 »

Watch out for all those suicidal Red Sox fans.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Pillow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2011, 06:41 »

Oh, whoops. Just now read about them blowing wild card. I'll keep the iPod volume up over the wailing and gnashing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up