"YOU told him to tell me?"
Close up on the hands.
"Anyway, wanna go dancing this friday?"
Whiplash!!!
"...and for SOME REASON, you're SAD ABOUT THIS."
"I don't know how to dance!"
**SMACK**
"Well well, look who it is."
"For your INFORMATION, some of us have BETTER THINGS TO DO than just play VIDEO GAMES all the-"
"What have you done to me"

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2031-2035 (10-14 October 2011)  (Read 179131 times)

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCDT: 2031-2035 (10-14 October 2011)
« Reply #400 on: 14 Oct 2011, 16:04 »

Dale is getting increasingly creepy in my opinion, especially now that he's gone from stalking to camping.  Anyone else recognize today's setting from this early gem?  Now I admit his first interaction with Marigold wasn't exactly her crowning moment of maturity, but since then it seems that all he's done is constantly belittle her every chance he gets.
"It's not safe there."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #401 on: 14 Oct 2011, 16:16 »

I would say that it is quite realistic for Dale to be aware that Marigold hasn't logged in for a few days (quite a while to be absent from the game, from a hardcore WoW player's perspective), even without RealID or any other kind of game mechanic.

We know that Marigold is notorious at least within Dale's guild (probably a PvP guild, but that's just a guess on my part). If Marigold is a very keen PvPer (which is likely even though she's a raider), she may even be notorious on the server.

For sworn enemies who spend a lot of time in-game not to encounter each other for a few days is a little unusual, but Dale's guild would surely announce over guild chat if they found any serious PvPer in the wild or in battlegrounds, either alone or in a group. For this to not happen in in that time would definitely be notable.

As for Dale's stalking/belittling... the kind of trash talking you see from Dale aimed at a member of the opposite faction is pretty normal coming from a WoW PvPer. Mild, even. Though most of it usually happens on the forums, of course.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #402 on: 14 Oct 2011, 16:19 »

When I see Dale in the comic, my mind gives him his own theme/mood music, and I think if QC were animated, his lines would be delivered very dramatically/mysteriously, which would in turn make him kind of creepy, but if done properly it would be less creep and more mystery/comedy/melodrama. This mood change would of course only apply in his interactions with Marigold, though. His CoD secret menu bit and the first part of his pizza delivery would just be the normal mood of the comic, but then when he and Marigold see each other, suddenly it goes to that other mood. This is just how it goes in my head, and to me it makes Dale an awesome character, not in spite of his perceived creepiness, but in fact because of it, and the way it's played for comic effect. My head is a strange and terrible place, though.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #403 on: 14 Oct 2011, 16:31 »

When I see Dale in the comic, my mind gives him his own theme/mood music, and I think if QC were animated, his lines would be delivered very dramatically/mysteriously, which would in turn make him kind of creepy, but if done properly it would be less creep and more mystery/comedy/melodrama. This mood change would of course only apply in his interactions with Marigold, though. His CoD secret menu bit and the first part of his pizza delivery would just be the normal mood of the comic, but then when he and Marigold see each other, suddenly it goes to that other mood. This is just how it goes in my head, and to me it makes Dale an awesome character, not in spite of his perceived creepiness, but in fact because of it, and the way it's played for comic effect. My head is a strange and terrible place, though.

That's how I see it too, the over the top comedic villain - very anime-esque
He's got Gendo eyes

But lol! I love Marigold's little reaction there, I have that epiphany once in awhile
"I have a LIFE?? When did THAT happen?!?"

(well, not right now, of course)
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #404 on: 14 Oct 2011, 16:45 »

Maybe Marigold sees Dale the same way and is just playing along.

Then again, I'm not sure Marigirl is self aware enough for role play.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #405 on: 14 Oct 2011, 17:03 »

what does her shirt say?  "(save ends)" ?

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #406 on: 14 Oct 2011, 17:16 »

Yep. I don't get the joke either, but I know enough to know it is another WoW reference.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #407 on: 14 Oct 2011, 17:41 »

I was gonna say, "dipping it in the inkwell", but even I'm not that  old.  Right, pwhodges?  celticgeek?  Anybody...?
I don't think I've ever seen an inkwell outside historical dramas.  I'm familiar with the inkstick, inkstone, and brush (together with paper, 文房四宝 or the Four Treasures Of The Study), but that probably doesn't count because they're not really used for everyday writing any more. And of course Chinese kids never do anything naughty with their ink...  :angel:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #408 on: 14 Oct 2011, 18:04 »

Yep. I don't get the joke either, but I know enough to know it is another WoW reference.

It's a D&D reference.  In 4th Edition (which is what Jeph plays afaik), when you are afflicted by something (on fire, cursed with wracking pain, hobbled by a movement reduction effect) you roll to see if you 'make a save' and end the effect.  Marigold's shirt says she's a geek but if she rolls well enough that will end.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #409 on: 14 Oct 2011, 18:12 »

Dale is likable enough outside of WoW to be initiated into the Secret Menu at Coffee of Doom, an honor Dora didn't bestow on her brother (Faye told him) or her boyfriend. Either his taunting of Marigirl is harmless, or else he's one of those people you read about in the newspaper will all his acquaintances saying "He seemed like such a nice guy!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #410 on: 14 Oct 2011, 20:50 »

When he does his Gendo eye thing I always hear Kamon from FLCL. Especially today's. I was expecting him to develop an anime sweat drop in the last panel.
Quis pater tibi est?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #411 on: 14 Oct 2011, 20:51 »

Dale is getting increasingly creepy in my opinion, especially now that he's gone from stalking to camping.  Anyone else recognize today's setting from this early gem?  Now I admit his first interaction with Marigold wasn't exactly her crowning moment of maturity, but since then it seems that all he's done is constantly belittle her every chance he gets.

I see progress here from 1771. Mari's cut back on whatever she's drinking from the convenience store fountain and Dale's avoided the trash can this time..
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 01:02 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #412 on: 14 Oct 2011, 21:21 »

Save rolls are definitely not a WoW thing.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JonathanXS

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #413 on: 14 Oct 2011, 23:06 »

It's a D&D reference.  In 4th Edition (which is what Jeph plays afaik), when you are afflicted by something (on fire, cursed with wracking pain, hobbled by a movement reduction effect) you roll to see if you 'make a save' and end the effect.  Marigold's shirt says she's a geek but if she rolls well enough that will end.

Registered for this.

It would make no sense for Mari to have to save against being a geek, that would imply that she is not naturally one and has to keep up a ruse ( which would be a check on her... ...whatever it is in 4.0. I'm a 3.5 player. Forgive me. )

What I understand it is as is that Mari needed to constantly roll Will saves against peer pressure in order to continue the stereotypical "anti-social geek" lifestyle. She has been continuously failing recently which is either because of low rolls or because of an increasing DC ( the number your save roll needs to beat to "pass" the save ); as she becomes closer to her friends, it becomes harder to say 'no' to them. Because of these failed will saves she becomes farther from the stereotype, and her stereotypical geek personality "ends".

In the end it is a save to end, or rather a series of saves to end, but it is not as simple as implied.

But, you know, that doesn't look good on a shirt, right?

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #414 on: 15 Oct 2011, 00:02 »

I'm not saying stuff can't be discussed in a serious way but at least realize that a joke is a joke is a joke. Not something to insult strangers over the internet over.

There is nothing to prevent you or anyone ignoring any angsty parts of the discussion and talking about the things you enjoy instead; indeed, this might help to preserve balance.

Point taken. Will do my best..

purple.platypus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #415 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:17 »

Correcting someone with a slap is abusive.
But see, that's the bit you're ostensibly trying to argue for. That sort of thing is a lot better received if you don't do it in language that already presupposes the point you're trying to prove.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #416 on: 15 Oct 2011, 02:33 »

It's a D&D reference.

Whatever, they're all NERRRRRRRRDS. [hypocrisy]

I see progress here from 1771. Mari's cut back on whatever she's drinking from the convenience store fountain and Dale's avoided the trash can this time..

Also, it is daytime; she isn't staying up all night playing.

SJCrew

« Reply #417 on: 15 Oct 2011, 04:23 »

I know what effect Jeph was going for in comic #2033, but it just looks like she's grabbing her crotch. It picks up again in the next panel, which probably should have been there in the first place. Just my take.

Also, I am not so worried, Padma is coming back. This comic was the perfect push to define her as a likeable character. But before she goes, Marten needs to (removed by moderator -- shipping rule).
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 10:54 by Is it cold in here? »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #418 on: 15 Oct 2011, 06:29 »

If he does, it's coming out of nowhere.  He's been invited to go dancing with friends  not asked out one-on-one.  And she's upset about Elliot, it's not what she wanted. 

So Marten's probably not getting a taste of anything but baked goods for a while. 

No, that's not  innuendo.  Git yer mind out of the gutter...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

gangler

« Reply #419 on: 15 Oct 2011, 06:45 »

One of these days friendship will just be another euphemism the way things are going. The phrase "(s)he's a great friend of mine" will invariably be followed with a terribly conspicuous wink and perhaps some obnoxious nudging.

"Oh yeah! We go way back, if you know what I mean".

But yeah, not only is this a purely platonic social appointment, but I'm pretty sure Marten's less interested in her sexually than he is in her as a friend anyway. She's just some cool chick who brightens up his day a little and helped him through a rough patch. Not gonna say I don't think he finds her attractive, but that's a distant concern.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #420 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:10 »

Dale is likable enough outside of WoW to be initiated into the Secret Menu at Coffee of Doom, an honor Dora didn't bestow on her brother (Faye told him) or her boyfriend. Either his taunting of Marigirl is harmless, or else he's one of those people you read about in the newspaper will all his acquaintances saying "He seemed like such a nice guy!".
In my experience, people who most people treat as likeable are about as likely to be complete assholes as they are to be actually really nice people (not that these are the only options). It's usually completely obvious to me, but most people seem to be utterly oblivious.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2011, 09:27 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #421 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:51 »

Correcting someone with a slap is abusive.
But see, that's the bit you're ostensibly trying to argue for. That sort of thing is a lot better received if you don't do it in language that already presupposes the point you're trying to prove.
(moderator)
We are trying to let this line of discussion die.
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

rje

« Reply #422 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:50 »

Registered for this.

It would make no sense for Mari to have to save against being a geek, that would imply that she is not naturally one and has to keep up a ruse ( which would be a check on her... ...whatever it is in 4.0. I'm a 3.5 player. Forgive me. )

What I understand it is as is that Mari needed to constantly roll Will saves against peer pressure in order to continue the stereotypical "anti-social geek" lifestyle. She has been continuously failing recently which is either because of low rolls or because of an increasing DC ( the number your save roll needs to beat to "pass" the save ); as she becomes closer to her friends, it becomes harder to say 'no' to them. Because of these failed will saves she becomes farther from the stereotype, and her stereotypical geek personality "ends".

In the end it is a save to end, or rather a series of saves to end, but it is not as simple as implied.

But, you know, that doesn't look good on a shirt, right?

...I still don't get it. ._.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #423 on: 15 Oct 2011, 17:25 »

Don't worry, one rule of comedy states that any cultural reference will automatically be lost on half the audience. 

Half of those left won't really care. 

And if you're lucky, about 10% of the rest will think it's funny...

Nathanyel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #424 on: 15 Oct 2011, 17:54 »

Don't worry, one rule of comedy states that any cultural reference will automatically be lost on half the audience. 
Catchphrase!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #425 on: 15 Oct 2011, 19:24 »

Catchphrase!

Indeed. That's a T-Shirt I would buy.

Maybe a hoodie.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #426 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:07 »

With T-shirts there'll likely be a far higher rate of reference loss, since you'll be broadcasting to a much wider sample.

gangler

« Reply #427 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:10 »

Wouldn't the T-shirts actually broadcast to a smaller sample, on account of always being obscured by hoodies?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #428 on: 16 Oct 2011, 12:01 »

0_o

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #429 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:50 »

1771, Mari coming out of the shop
2035, Mari coming out of the same shop

Just noticed, there is definite change here. Metaphorically hinted at by cupsize. (Sorry for the bad pun and can that even be considered a metaphor?)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #430 on: 17 Oct 2011, 03:28 »

Good call!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #431 on: 17 Oct 2011, 03:42 »

1771, Mari coming out of the shop
2035, Mari coming out of the same shop

Just noticed, there is definite change here. Metaphorically hinted at by cupsize. (Sorry for the bad pun and can that even be considered a metaphor?)

Sorry. I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing? Marigirl hasn't had a haircut since? Also notice that in one strip Marigold is wearing a hoodie, and in the other just a t-shirt. Reflecting a change of season? But surely a hoodie will level off the curves to a great extent.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #432 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:23 »

Let me rephrase that:
Cupsize -> size of cup (directed at the cup/bottle/container of tasty sweet squishy liquid she is holding)

Also, a change of season might not be necessary. In the first one we have dawn/early night, in the second one we have mid day/early evening. Could just be late summer/late spring which would explain the relative warmth during the day and the relative cool during the night.

...or were you being smart about the obviously poorly chosen pun and trying to mock me with it? English isn't my native language and I may be a bit dense here. :-D

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #433 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:29 »

:-D Thanks. My mind just needs a little bit time to climb out of the gutter.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #434 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:29 »

English is not Skewbrow's native language either; obviously we try to avoid anyone's language being an issue here.

The change in size of Mari's drink was remarked on earlier, I recall.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #435 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:32 »

English is not Skewbrow's native language either; obviously we try to avoid anyone's language being an issue here.

The change in size of Mari's drink was remarked on earlier, I recall.
No issues here. Just having some speculatory fun.  :-)

Also I was unaware it had been remarked on. Sorry for that, must've slipped my mind or eyesight. I was just so proud of myself for finding this one out.
I'll shut up now.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #436 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:39 »

Don't be embarrassed - it's not necessarily entirely obvious (here), and repetition matters not a jot in such an instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #437 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:59 »

I bow my head to you. You must be the king of passive aggressive sarcasm. O_O

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #438 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:49 »

Paul?  He's just a local king.  And he seems neither passive nor agressive - he's pretty middle of the road. 

Sarcasm, on the other hand, seems to be the board's stock and trade...

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #439 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:49 »

...or were you being smart about the obviously poorly chosen pun and trying to mock me with it? English isn't my native language and I may be a bit dense here. :-D
That was not my intention. Sorry about not making it clear. I am the obtuse angle of this forum, and simply missed the pun :psyduck:

Also, don't worry about your English too much. I understand your concern in that I, too, feel the pressure to make my English impeccable. But I have realized that most if not all of the pressure comes from my own expectations. If I interpreted Paul correctly, the native speakers are quite forgiving to us foreigners.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011, 10:30 by Skewbrow »

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #440 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:54 »

As Paul said, the native speakers are quite forgiving to us foreigners.

We better be.  It's been my observation that native speakers seem to butcher English even worst than foreigners.  :|
"It's not safe there."

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #441 on: 17 Oct 2011, 07:27 »

We better be.  It's been my observation that native speakers seem to butcher English even worst than foreigners.  :|
Bwahaha! Amen! It seems common consensus among native speakers :)

@Carl-E:
I actually loved his post. Failed to make that clear. (I did so by PM a few minutes ago)
I was in a kind of awe-induced shock making it impossible for me to deliver my intentions clearly in written form. :-D

@Skewbrow:
Even if it was your intention, I'd have simply appreciated it. I come to this board mostly for the elitist sarcasm-dripping blabbermouths going on and on about a fictional reality. (And I mean that in a very caring way.)
And oh yes... most peer pressure in life is self-inflicted.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #442 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:09 »

Bwahaha! Amen! It seems common consensus among native speakers :)
That was a typo!  Or at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, gosh darn it.  :lol:
"It's not safe there."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #443 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:56 »

At leastr it wasn't "wurst"...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #444 on: 17 Oct 2011, 13:42 »

Don't knock it
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #445 on: 17 Oct 2011, 14:59 »

Hey, how'd you get that picture of downtown Milwaukee? ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up