Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive.  (Read 2970 times)

tuathal

Drive.
« on: 01 Oct 2011, 13:56 »

This is a movie about the benefits of overusing synth drones, slow-mo and emotionless characters.

How can anybody like this piece of shit?
The only real music used in it was 1980's piece of shit stuff, The build up was a fuckig hour, and even after that, very little actually happens, the characters aren't built up at all.

It's like 2001: A Space Oddyssey without the Space
Or No country For Old Men, without the country or the men.

I have no idea how anybody can rate this film so highly. I mean, I love the likes of Kubrick and generally minimalist movies like Old Boy, I loved No country For Old Men to death.
This just seems highly fucking pretentious and badly written.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2011, 14:05 by tuathal »

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Drive.
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2011, 12:13 »

I was really confused by the reviews I've seen, because a bunch of my friends saw it on opening night and had nothing but absolute crap to say about it. Like, unanimous agreement that it blew.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 04 Oct 2011, 20:46 »

you guys obviously like just didn't get it
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2011, 08:38 »

I thought this film was amazing.
The cinematography on it was jaw dropping, there wasn't a single shot I wouldn't screen cap and post on my wall.
Ryan's character in it said so little, yet by the end you completely understood his character and what he did just because there was so little to him. When a character can stomp in a head and you say "Ya, I'll accept that" you've done pretty well.
The lack of dialogue in it adds to the tension of even the simplest scenes, playing with your emotions and sense of expectancy, things don't come when you expect them to until after the first person dies. After that he feeds you what to expect because if you play with an audience too much you lose them.
I think the synthpop drone of it all captures what it feels like to drive around LA and really that's the only emotion it has to complete or capture.
There is even an intercut scene were you can tell what the character is thinking, which is near impossible in film without some cheap trick.

Only thing I have to complain about in the movie was the helicopter shots of LA, I thought they were cheesy.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.
Pages: [1]   Go Up