I'm gonna look like such a tool.
- 1 (1.4%)
Isn't that what we're doing?
- 1 (1.4%)
GONNA GET ALL MERCE CUNNINGHAM UP IN THIS BITCH
- 5 (7.1%)
I told Padma how I feel.
- 0 (0%)
I do feel better getting it off my chest.
- 0 (0%)
Yer not gonna beat up my friend *hrrngh*
- 8 (11.4%)
EEEEEEEE-CHAH! *POW*
- 10 (14.3%)
YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BLOCK IT!
- 17 (24.3%)
A double bourbon on de rogs
- 0 (0%)
Angus told me he lubbed me
- 3 (4.3%)
Hard to have a serious conversation when you're stuffy-sounding
- 2 (2.9%)
...I said I loved him too
- 3 (4.3%)
That's great and it'll be fine!
- 1 (1.4%)
...as long as you don't freak out and dump him
- 0 (0%)
Only a crazy person would do THAT
- 6 (8.6%)
(that guy in the back looks like he needs some waffles)
- 7 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2041-2045; Oct. 24-28 2011  (Read 106940 times)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
Re: WCDT 2041-2045; Oct. 24-28 2011
« Reply #250 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:43 »

Why did the bar behind Faye and Marten spontaneously change into a DJ setup table in panel 2? °-o
 (and no, I don't care about the obvious explanations... the change of viewing angle between panels 1 and 2 is not great enough to provide insight into an entirely different area.)

There is dimensional mischief going on here and I won't stand for it! *grumble, cross arms*
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #251 on: 27 Oct 2011, 03:19 »

We will have to add "does not follow the laws of Euclidean geometry" to this. :mrgreen:

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #252 on: 27 Oct 2011, 03:23 »

For comic #2044...

1. Aw, I hope this does not spoil any friendship between Faye & Padma.  I think the two have a pretty good dynamic going, not just for fighting ability.

2. It does indeed look like DJ Tai Fighter in the background of panel #2.  And probably will be worth a few strips along this story-arc if it is.

3. Hurrah for Hannelore patchworking Faye's glasses, but as most have correctly expected, our Southern Punching Belle will need a replacement pair.  As I said earlier, I think this would be a good oppurtunity for Jeph to experiment with a change to Faye's look (assuming he has not planned all this in order to).  I could see Faye with round or oval glasses, though I imagine her square glasses are simply easier to draw.

4. Guy in the background of panel #4 definitely has made some mistakes.  The kind of mistakes I am certain Jeph and many others like us never hope to make again :-( .

5. And just for completeness...  (stuffy-sounding) "grabitas" likely means "gravitas", which defines as: "Dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner."  Or in Faye's case, lack of it at the moment.

6. @jwhouk...  /gasp.  How dare you mimic my ease-of-quote posting style!  Have at you, sir!  /whitegloveslap  [just kidding, of course.  works well for these kind of threads, oui? :-D ]

7. @Soulsynger...  ( /fistbump for the ponytail thing too, by the way)

- Frink: "Yes, over here, [...] in Episode BF12, you were battling barbarians while riding a winged Appaloosa, yet in the very next scene, my dear, you're clearly atop a winged Arabian! Please do explain it!

- Lucy Lawless: Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard did it.

- Frink: Yes, alright, yes, in episode AG04-"

- Lucy Lawless: Wizard!

- Frink: But what about-

- Lucy Lawless: Wizards!

—The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror X"
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 10:42 by pendrake »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #253 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:20 »

Also... when has Angus lubed her?

I note Jeph has changed "lubed" to "lubbed" to avoid prompting the kind of jokes we had earlier!
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 05:33 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #254 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:36 »

1. Aw, I hope this does not spoil any friendship between Faye & Padma.  I think the two have a pretty good dynamic going, not just for fighting ability.

PadmaSaur used DynamicPunch! It's Super Effective!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #255 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:53 »

Why did the bar behind Faye and Marten spontaneously change into a DJ setup table in panel 2? °-o
 (and no, I don't care about the obvious explanations... the change of viewing angle between panels 1 and 2 is not great enough to provide insight into an entirely different area.)

There is dimensional mischief going on here and I won't stand for it! *grumble, cross arms*

The room is spinning. Poor Faye ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jabberwocky

• Larger than most fish
  • Pony!
« Reply #256 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:30 »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #257 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:56 »

lube = love
*snicker*

Terribly sorry, but we're all out of those. Would you settle for a Payday bar instead?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #258 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:16 »

I have my doubts on it being Tai.  I admit it does look an awful lot like her, but I would like to think she would've noticed Faye walking in with a bloody nose and Marten and Hanners in tow.  It's possible though, as she could be distracted.  I suppose we'll find out for sure tomorrow.
"It's not safe there."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #259 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:48 »

The only time we saw Tai DJing, she didn't notice right away it was Dora (Dora!) standing next to her, saying Hi. She's focused.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #260 on: 27 Oct 2011, 06:52 »

Actually the change in viewing angle is enough. All you have to assume is that Marten moved a bit backward, which is a very reasonable assumption, as he likes Padma and thus tends to follow her movements as long as he is focussed on her.

And if he would NOT have moved, Hanners would have to sit in the foreground.

Dont ask me to explain what happends in the background of the third and fourth picture, though. Only explanation I could offer for that is that the round table they are using is actually rotating, as is the ground their chairs is resting on ...
Carpe Diem

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #261 on: 27 Oct 2011, 07:04 »

Hopefully for Padma's sake there are no plans to use this to introduce Shame Orb to the main QC universe.  She'd likely be the perfect target right now.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #262 on: 27 Oct 2011, 09:24 »

Sheesh, nitpickers.  

The bar is on the north end of the room, with the door in the corner.  In the northwest, there is a dart board and blackboard.  West side of the room is the DJ setup (Saturday, Lady Gaga making an appearance? Friday, Deathmole?).

Panel 1: camera is at pointed NNW
Panel 2: camera is in Hanners' lap, pointed W. Padma heading to bar.
Panel 3 and 4: camera over Hanners' shoulder, pointed NW.  Hanners is simply out-of-shot in 4.
Panel 5: camera pointing NW.

...what am I DOING.
SQUEEZE BOX

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #263 on: 27 Oct 2011, 09:27 »

There is a small tunnel leading off to the southwest.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #264 on: 27 Oct 2011, 09:30 »

But does it lead to treasure or a malevolent goblin?

(Sudden memories of the text-based D&D game I wrote in the late 1970s!)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #265 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:22 »

Wait, you  wrote that?  I think I played it a few times...

Also, I had to share this - pwhodges, I know your avatar is randomly served, but sometimes the match is too good to let go...

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #266 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:24 »

I played it a lot. 

Colossol Cave Adventure

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #267 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:33 »

I can't remember the name of the one I wrote - it was written in BCPL and delivered with the Nuclear Medicine Imaging and Radiotherapy Planning systems that I wrote using Varian computers (between about 1975 and 1985).  It was quite popular with the customers - they liked being Charlotte Rampling, even if it was in text only!!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #268 on: 27 Oct 2011, 12:04 »

Quick! Faye!

Tell me about the Pwesident's secwet pwan to fight infwation!

Hail Theathar!!

Yes, that's DJ Tai Fighter in the background

Hanners the Swiss Army Knife    :-D

I see a 'Soul Searching Conversation' on the horizon for Faye.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Cactus from outer space

« Reply #269 on: 27 Oct 2011, 13:55 »

I think there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for those space anomalies. Maybe they've just entered one of the dark corners of the earth...

Also: Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Also: I don't think it's Tai at the Dj console, there is, like, more then one glasses-wearing-redhead girl in the world I think  :laugh:

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #270 on: 27 Oct 2011, 14:05 »

The only time we saw Tai DJing, she didn't notice right away it was Dora (Dora!) standing next to her, saying Hi. She's focused.

Good point.  And you can't say Dora didn't have a noticeable entrance that night.  We'll know for sure tonight I expect.
"It's not safe there."

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #271 on: 27 Oct 2011, 14:24 »

I think there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for those space anomalies. Maybe they've just entered one of the dark corners of the earth...

Also: Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Also: I don't think it's Tai at the Dj console, there is, like, more then one glasses-wearing-redhead girl in the world I think  :laugh:

But is there more than 1 glasses-wearing-redhead girl who is a DJ in the same city?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #272 on: 27 Oct 2011, 15:25 »

it was written in BCPL
That is so cool. It's like knowing someone fluent in Linear-B or Oracle Bone Script...  :-D

But is there more than 1 glasses-wearing-redhead girl who is a DJ in the same city?
Especially when that "city" is under 30,000 people. It would be very coincidental.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 15:39 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #273 on: 27 Oct 2011, 15:49 »

it was written in BCPL
That is so cool. It's like knowing someone fluent in Linear-B or Oracle Bone Script...  :-D

I ported the BCPL compiler to my Varian system because I was fed up with writing everything in assembly code and the incomplete Fortran compiler we had was utterly pathetic.  I also extended my version of BCPL with some Algol-68-like syntax (but not semantics).  Later I ported my extended BCPL to Norsk Data computers, where I used it to write routines for imaging floppies, and one for repairing damaged floppy directories.

I believe I've mentioned before that I wrote one commercial program directly in hex - i.e. I had to assemble it by hand.  I might not have mentioned that I had to use B-G instead of A-F, because the hardware loader that read hex from the Teletype was severely limited! - I still have to think carefully when using hex to this day. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #274 on: 27 Oct 2011, 15:51 »

Especially when that "city" is under 30,000 people. It would be very coincidental.

Twins.  Evil twins.  Somehow, they always wind up in the same place at the some time...

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #275 on: 27 Oct 2011, 16:55 »

But wait, is this the evil Tai or the good Tai?

BTW Carl-E, your previous face-palm post is solid gold. I got a bigger laugh out of that than the comic, and the comic gave me a good laugh.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #276 on: 27 Oct 2011, 16:57 »

Good Tai - no beard/goatee.

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #277 on: 27 Oct 2011, 16:58 »

For some reason I just kind of assumed that Tai and Padma knew eachother all along.

Oh you little rascal...
How does that make me a rascal? it seemed perfectly logical to me, Tai leads a very different life than the rest of the gang. And she only started going to CoD when she met Marten, she has to get coffee elsewhere did she not? I would just assume that it was The Secret Bakery, both those places seem to be the most popular places to go in their city.
But then again I could be just being ridiculous, that is entirely possibly. I tend to do that.

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #278 on: 27 Oct 2011, 18:25 »

At the risk of enraging the masses, a lot of the people who put so much effort into expressing their individuality with dyed hair and tattoos end up looking identical from 30 paces.
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #279 on: 27 Oct 2011, 18:42 »

For some reason I just kind of assumed that Tai and Padma knew eachother all along.

Oh you little rascal...
How does that make me a rascal? it seemed perfectly logical to me, Tai leads a very different life than the rest of the gang. And she only started going to CoD when she met Marten, she has to get coffee elsewhere did she not? I would just assume that it was The Secret Bakery, both those places seem to be the most popular places to go in their city.
But then again I could be just being ridiculous, that is entirely possibly. I tend to do that.

No, it's a "running gag" here on the boards that we treat any sort of "pairings" with kid gloves, lest we anger the gods themselves. So tread lightly.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #280 on: 27 Oct 2011, 18:48 »

He just suggested they might know each other, not that they were, um, yeah...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #281 on: 27 Oct 2011, 19:06 »

Actually, I can't help but notice that the "running gag" around here seems to be to skirt being moderated for posts about "shipping" or "crack pairings" or whatever by making a post about how other people are doing it (when they weren't), or are surely about to do it; instead of making the observation directly.

For example, the "you little rascal" post quoted above, or delighted exclamations of "let the ships sail", or similar.

It's completely transparent, in case you're wondering. And it's getting a little old.

And the less said about some of the posts on the filler comic earlier this week, the better. They made me start to wonder what I was doing around here.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #282 on: 27 Oct 2011, 20:29 »

What does Faye want to grab the ass of? j/k
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #283 on: 27 Oct 2011, 21:45 »

He's in New York and will return Monday (strip time, not our time).

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #284 on: 27 Oct 2011, 22:03 »

Oh you little rascal...
No, it's a "running gag" here on the boards that we treat any sort of "pairings" with kid gloves, lest we anger the gods themselves. So tread lightly.
Ahh okay, obviously I'm new around here so I still got me some learning to do.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 23:19 by AquaNinja »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #285 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:11 »

Holy sh*t! Now what?

Faye gets up and kicks some ass.    - 2 (2.9%)
Faye takes a swing, misses, and falls back down.    - 12 (17.4%)
Faye bursts into tears (unlikely, yes, but bear with me).    - 7 (10.1%)
Padma runs for her life.    - 2 (2.9%)
Padma gets some mace in the face.    - 1 (1.4%)
Padma makes it up to Faye by paying the hospital bill.    - 1 (1.4%)
Padma makes it up to Faye by paying for new glasses.    - 8 (11.6%)
Padma makes it up to Faye by making her waffles.    - 11 (15.9%)
Padma makes it up to Faye by making out with Marten (what).    - 25 (36.2%)

Total Voters: 69
Just another Joe like 46

akronnick

« Reply #286 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:22 »

I love the backgorund action in today comic.

Hanners said something that shocked Tai, and it looks like Padma just found the body!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #287 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:34 »

- Its definitely Tai
- Tai: "You want me to play WHAAAAT?!"

- Gotta love the little details in this one: Hanners has LEGWARMERS! This is too much!

- Padma! Don't you go poking dead things. Who knows where he's been?

Anyone else recall self-directed sarcasm being another of Faye's coping mechanism? Can't find the comic about it but she said something about humor helping her with her insecurities. My guess is, this thing is far from over even after Marten reassuring her.

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #288 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:44 »

My guess is Hanners is telling Tai why Faye was all bloody and such.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #289 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:50 »

Or she's aghast at the thought of the Jennifer Beals look making a come-back.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #290 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:55 »

Also: Padma's dress stripes disappeared! What the hell?! The dimensional stability is ajar! Abandon shipping!

I just had a thought:
<moderator>
Unacceptable content deleted.  Read this for a hint as to why.
</moderator>
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2011, 00:58 by pwhodges »

VyperX

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #291 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:55 »

[...]
Anyone else recall self-directed sarcasm being another of Faye's coping mechanism? Can't find the comic about it but she said something about humor helping her with her insecurities. My guess is, this thing is far from over even after Marten reassuring her.
No one would be over something like that after just the reassurance of a friend. Faye is in a vulnerable place right now.... Hanging out with her friends, dancing, etc, should be able to take her mind off it for tonight. After a good night sleep things in her head should have settled down some more so she can think it over without panicking.
At least, that's what I hope for her sake.

Also, love the legwarmers on Hanners.  :-)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #292 on: 27 Oct 2011, 23:56 »

Faye's comments reminded me of the comic where Marten ironically said that a person would have to be crazy to get involved with a roomate.  Same kind of self-referential humor.  

Which only shows how well they go together.  Or perhaps how much of Jeph's sense of humor bleeds out through his primary characters...

And yes, I thought Tai was goggling about a request of Hanner's.  

"She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
and she's dancing like she's never danced before..."

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #293 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:01 »

Or she's aghast at the thought of the Jennifer Beals look making a come-back.
I kinda like that one better, can I change my opinion?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #294 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:05 »

I still got me some learning to do.

You're doing fine.  Most of human life involves people being friends and knowing each other, so of course these are not anything to be avoided or skirted round.  

Shipping is a clearly distinct matter, described elsewhere, and only those who are so in thrall to their hormones that they get worked up seeing a knife and fork together in a table-setting might get confused.

Abandon shipping!

<sigh>

AquaNinja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #295 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:07 »

I still got me some learning to do.

You're doing fine.  Most of human life involves people being friends and knowing each other, so of course these are not anything to be avoided or skirted round.  

Shipping is a clearly distinct matter, described elsewhere, and only those who are so in thrall to their hormones that they get worked up seeing a knife and fork together in a table-setting might get confused.
Oh, okay I don't feel so horrible then.

akronnick

« Reply #296 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:09 »

<sigh>

Sometimes, you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.[/Sam Elliot]

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #297 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:38 »

For comic #2045...

1. Nice legwarmers.  Nice legwarmers, indeed :-) .

2. Guess that is indeed Tai.  Unless Hanners just said, "You know, I have a friend who looks just like you and is also a Disc Jockey...."  Perhaps we will see a comic with Tai & Hannelore come next week to lighten the gravitas of Faye's coping.

3. Is it me, or is Faye's response in panel #2 smaller to indicate a small voice?  "I said I loved him too."  Or perhaps it is just text crowding the speech-bubble?

4. Having random people (even hot women) poke, molest, steal from, or draw on you while passed out drunk is one of the major reasons  I do not miss drinking.  At all.

5. @Carl-E... I thought the same thing with background panel #1 as well

6. Pff, who cares about the knife & fork.  Now the dish & spoon, I think they got something going on there.  But the rest of the tableware families would never approve of a union between the two... :roll:
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2011, 01:28 by pendrake »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #298 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:46 »

Now the dish & spoon, I think they got something going on there.  But the rest of the tableware families would never approve of a union betweeen the two... :roll:

Or they might be over the moon about it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #299 on: 28 Oct 2011, 00:55 »

You don't suppose the guy in the background was Elliot, do you?
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up