THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Capitalist Christmas  (Read 14624 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: A Capitalist Christmas
« Reply #50 on: 08 Nov 2011, 20:46 »

Theres a pizza joint up Bleecker St (Greenwich Village) that you HAVE to try (apparently simply called "Bleecker Street Pizza"). That area is home to Washington Square Park and Cafe Wha? too. Go to them all!

I wasn't impressed with Cafe Wha?. The only good thing was the band. Also their drink menu lied about their Guinness. It said Guinness. Not Guinness Extra Stout Foulness of the Earth. So I may be biased.

I have no idea what's going on for the holidays!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Zingoleb

« Reply #51 on: 08 Nov 2011, 21:03 »

From what I can tell, if you switch solely to eBooks, and DON'T go for an upgrade every six months, it's a net benefit. But  using eBooks as well as paper books is actually worse. Maybe as the industry switches to a predominantly digital format, it'll be better.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #52 on: 09 Nov 2011, 04:28 »

And trees saved.

I've been curious as to how much is saved by eBooks. You'd have to count the production of a book vs. the production of the Kindle, aka trees, water, the chemicals used for processing paper, shipping, and ink, versus all the plastics/metals/chips and whatnot that goes into a eBook reader. I should go look into this - at what point (how many books does it take) is there less environmental impact from buying an eBook reader as opposed to buying paper books?

There are numerous advantages for eBooks in terms of monetary cost - cheaper for the writer to just upload a file, commission is higher, no shipping costs, and they're on average 25% cheaper to purchase than the paperback equivalent. Plus I think the new Kindle lasts for something like a month without a charge (the older/bigger version is 2 months).

To be fair the books I buy most of the time tend to be second hand, so its not like I'm pressuring the market for more NEW books, I'm simply part of the circulation of books that have already been created. I mean my copy of The Real Cool Killers is from 1986, so I'm hoping that tree has regrown by now.

It would be interesting to look into beyond my own knowledge and LuLu.com, so yeah.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #53 on: 12 Nov 2011, 00:52 »

I've long since opted out of protracted family Christmases. Not that my family aren't great, quite the opposite and I can have a lot of fun when arond them, but Christmas invariably involves doing a lot of things for kids and waiting around for other people and I usually found myself frustrated and bored a lot of the time. In the end I felt it better to be a bit selfish and Scroogeish and do things for me. I took up the London Christmas Day Bike Ride, which is a fabulous and inclusive event, particularly for those unable to do a family Christmas. A potter west along the Thames from Greenwich before heding up to Edgeware Road for dinner at a Lebanese restaurant (about five of them are open on Christmas Day. Groups then splintered off headed in a generally homewards direction and hoping to find one of the few pubs open on that day.

That's a little impractical now that I live in Yorkshire so I suspect that at about 6am I'll set off from home and head up into the Peak District to enjoy the sunrise and then heading on west towards Manchester (probably by way of Tatton Park) to meet the pretty much inlaws for lunch. Followed up with a walk out by Dunham Massey then proper Dinner, drinking, a few games and a film before bed. Save the presence of Turkey and hats its like most visits to see them and I can quietly ignore that we're making a mockery of a celebration of a god that none of us believe in. If that isn't going to happen then I'm pushing for a ride out to the beach and back. There's something wonderful about the seaside on a day when there is no profit saught.

Haven't done Christmas cards since I was about 20ish and not about to restart now. Present buying has been slowly underway for a month now.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #54 on: 12 Nov 2011, 01:36 »

TSK, that does sound like a lovely day! It is a bit odd that people spend months planning what usually turns out to be a stressful and fraught day where people have arguments whilst wearing comical paper hats. My favourite bit of Christmas Day is going for a walk in the crisp winter air with the dog bounding along being excited by everything - it's rare we get the entire family out in one go.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #55 on: 12 Nov 2011, 17:45 »

Aw, I like seeing everyone for Christmas. My mom's family has a big party a week or two before, they used to be at someone's house but now there's so many people that last year we started renting a hall instead. This year will be the 26th annual!
Christmas itself has gotten harder since we got married, what with the 3 mornings and 3 or 4 dinners to juggle. The first year, we exchanged presents on Christmas Eve, and then got up at 8am and spent all damn day driving to different people's houses. It was stupid and it sucked.
My favorite part is cooking, I think. I make cranberry-orange salad, and today I found & stocked up on the canned cherries we use for pie, that have been absurdly difficult to find a few years in a row.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #56 on: 13 Nov 2011, 08:17 »

This thanksgiving I will get to go to my girlfriend's family's home in her hometown and deal with her bigoted closeminded right wing family.
This christmas I will probably have to work until 3pm and so I will miss christmas with her family which I guess is sort of a thing since they do it in the morning.
Then her and I will fly to Phoenix, AZ (from Buffalo, NY) on the 28th to spend some time with my family out there and my friends who I haven't seen since I moved.
I'm mostly looking forward to going back to Phoenix for a bit.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:55 »

Apparently my mom and I are going to be spending Thanksgiving with the family members that we spent it with last year, so hey, it should actually be fun again. And full of delicious food.

Also I think I found out what I'm going to be making for my friends for Christmas: sweet milk liqueur (the chai variation). My friends like both alcohol and chai, so why not have chai flavored alcohol? The chocolate lemon one also seems popular, so I might try to make that with a little mint and see how it turns out.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2011, 14:57 »

Ahhh you can beat a good mulled wine. Except in my case. But everyone else seems to love the stuff, so when we have the inevitable "what have you been doing this year" meet up at my friend Nat's (always the week of Christmas, the food is always delicious) I will probably have to have some more of it again.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Zingoleb

« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2011, 16:31 »

England forumites: Is it true you can't buy eggnog over there? Someone told me this, and I refuse to believe it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #60 on: 18 Nov 2011, 16:44 »

I'm not aware that we can buy it - it's a thing that we might make, though I never have.  My mother liked to be given bottles of Advocaat, though, which is easy to get; I think if you mix Advocaat and milk you essentially get eggnog.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 16:49 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zingoleb

« Reply #61 on: 18 Nov 2011, 22:12 »

I like how your avatar makes it seem like you're really angry about eggnog.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2011, 23:42 »

You can buy it in some places like deli's but it's never really taken off over here. From what I can tell, some of the bigger places like supermarkets have tried stocking it but given up because it doesn't sell. As winter/festive drinks go, we've got a few others so it may be that it's the loser in the market.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #63 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:17 »

I have never seen it be explicetly sold or have the same cultural importance as it seems to have in the USA.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #64 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:25 »

You can buy it! I was in an off licence in Brackley (London) this week and they were selling it in tins, like coca cola. It was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #65 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:07 »

I've never seen it in my life. Why on earth would anyone want a Christmas drink that wasn't mulled wine (or at a stretch, mulled cider)?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #66 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:24 »

Because it's easily spiked, and covers up the flavor of cheap liquor. 

It also makes for an amazingly disgusting vomit base.  Which is why our christmas party is just church people, between services.  We serve some wine, but mostly mulled cider and coffee...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2011, 13:41 »

Aw, hell, we get our eggs fresh here. I think I'm going to try and make my own egg nog this year.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #68 on: 19 Nov 2011, 20:57 »

I've never quite liked eggng. I will stick to my white hot chocolate thank youverymuch
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #69 on: 20 Nov 2011, 18:23 »

Eggnog is nasty. Cider and hot chocolate are infinitely better.

Lupercal

« Reply #70 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:49 »

Pretty sure the British Christmas drinking habits is something like Baileys, wine, mulled wine, Stella Artois, ale, and other beer.

I do quite like Advocaat, if you have one of those tiny whizzer things (electronic stirrer?) you can mix some of it with lemonade to make a "Snowball", which is fun.

Also, really weird, the Christmas market down in Canterbury sells Ostrich burgers as some sort of Christmas treat...it's opposite the Glühwein stall.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #71 on: 21 Nov 2011, 08:04 »

Ostrich burgers are delicious! I've had them at the Christmas market in Chester. I guess something about Ostriches just screams "Christmas!" to the planners of these markets?

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #72 on: 21 Nov 2011, 12:00 »

I think that's probably the OsLincs lot. We used to get them a lot in Peterborough and Swindon. I had a chat with them once and the guy said that they found the online and outlet sales a bit slow but did really well out of markets so they just go to every single one that they can. Lovely meat though.

Lupercal

« Reply #73 on: 24 Nov 2011, 02:25 »

Who knows, perhaps it will take up pride of place in a few decades as the nation's favourite Christmas meat? Sitting round the table to a lovely roasted Ostrich.

The sign said "the healthiest meat on earth!" which was also a bit strange. Like they were overcompensating for something....

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #74 on: 10 Dec 2011, 16:13 »

This thanksgiving I will get to go to my girlfriend's family's home in her hometown and deal with her bigoted closeminded right wing family.

I met my girlfriends bigoted closeminded right wing mother and stepfather once when we first started dating and have avoided any interaction with them since.  Her atheist rocket scientist father is awesome, but lives in socal so I've only met him twice when he came to visit.  She is spending xmas with them and I'll be alone on xmas.  I plan to go to my favorite punk bar with my best friend xmas night as has been tradition for the last three years.  Doug Martsch from Built to Spill DJs there every xmas so it is really fun.  I got my gf American Gods last year and she loved it.  This year I want to get her something more expensive so I was thinking a 3DS and Pokemon.  She isn't really expecting anything so I think it would be neat to spoil her a little when she gets back.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #75 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:17 »

Turns out I didn't have to go because I was working!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #77 on: 15 Dec 2011, 19:41 »

Bought a tree.  Knocked over a bunch of the Halloween decorations getting it onto the porch...

Gotta get my shit together!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #78 on: 15 Dec 2011, 20:27 »

I only have a few more days and then I can strain my milk liqueur and see how it tastes! (I made a chocolate lemon mint blend, not the chai.) And I'm mostly done with the boy's items. And can start and finish a purse for a friend next week. And I think I know what I'm getting for my mom. I just have to mail a few things tomorrow/Saturday and then I'm good! So yay!

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #79 on: 18 Dec 2011, 16:36 »

I just sent my niece a message from Santa from this :http://www.sendacallfromsanta.com/

I don't know why it brings me such glee to be a part of the perpetuation of lies to children.  But I like it.  I really like that song Jimmy linked too, it also sums up my feelings.   I think I like the Santa thing because it is like, like the comfort of religion maybe? That the good will be rewarded, and the bad punished, but that we allow children to have the comfort and that excitement of belief, but to also grow out of it.  That at some point they enter the adult world and let go of that crutch, but that the world is hard enough and maybe letting them believe for a little while is nice. 

Maybe it is just deceitful lies to sell toys, whatever, I like it. 

(I also like drinking, which might be why this rambles a little)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #80 on: 18 Dec 2011, 17:32 »

We put up two trees. One we named the Tacky one which is four foot and gets covered in red things. The other is the Elegant one which is five foot and gets covered in silver and blue. Usually I do the Tacky tree but we were paranoid Socks, our pup, would go after the trees and decorations. The dog is more interested in Mammy so she did the Tacky one since she doesn't mind as much if that one gets damaged.
I think I did a nice job with the tree considered half the silver bobbles are missing/broken so the tree got a lot of blue on it. Socks was interested when the trees were being put up but she quickly lost interest once we weren't giving all our attention to the trees any more.

Also we put up our tree today because my because my brother's birthday is December 17th and even though he doesn't live at home any more, it's our wee tradition the tree went up on/after his birthday so Christmas didn't overshine coming up to his birthday.

Zingoleb

« Reply #81 on: 18 Dec 2011, 21:10 »

Usually I do the Tacky tree but we were paranoid socks.

This is how I was reading that, and I thought 'paranoid socks' was an amazing phrase. Don't be so paranoid socks, Scooby.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #82 on: 19 Dec 2011, 06:39 »

This year I shall be trialling a new Christmas greeting. Instead of Merry Christmas (which is not terribly inclusive of people who don't celebrate the holiday for cultural reasons), Happy Holidays (a bit more inclusive but doesn't really cover people who aren't into the concept) or Season's Greetings (what does that even mean? Also comes across as a little patronising for some reason...), try saying Yipee Ky Yay, Motherfucker!

Yipee Ky Yay, Motherfucker! has everything. It can be voiced in any number of ways that will allow you to express your emotions! Happy? Check. Bitterly resentful? Check. Sarcastic and annoyed? Check. Drunk and belligerent? Big Check. It's inclusive of all peoples, whether they like cowboys or want to mock the over-emphasised machismo of cowboy culture. It's a relevant cultural reference, having been uttered in a number of popular action films by every-man hero/protagonist John McClane (played by Bruce Willis! Remember him? Remember Bruce? He's like Chuck Norris only without a beard, bald, no martial arts training and apparently not as right-wing. Hilarious! Sure, some of his recent films haven't been as good but come on! Bruce Willis!!) It's gritty and edgy, just like the kids these days love. So next time someone wishes you a Merry Christmas or a Happy Kwanza, look them dead in the eye and say Yipee Ky Yay, Motherfucker!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lupercal

« Reply #83 on: 20 Dec 2011, 00:35 »

That is pretty awesome, might have to send a Christmas card with that round. Well, either that or "It's a very exciting time!" ('in' joke with housemates)

Speaking of Die Hard, I'm trying to get a load of unintentional Christmas films together. I'm thinking Die Hard, Enemy of the State, Rent, Eyes Wide Shut - films that have Christmas in them but don't necessarily end with the happy American family sitting round the tree.

Because Home Alone is waaaaaay too mainsteam.

Zingoleb

« Reply #84 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:09 »

I was dating a girl once who tried to show me Rent but we ended up distracted. Someone not long ago was yelling at me for not having actually watched it yet, and told me that I get my queer cred revoked because of the fact. I yelled back, "I'm sorry, I didn't watch Rent because I was having lesbian sex - who's got the queer cred now!?"

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #85 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:10 »

Definitely  a +1 moment! 

Lupercal

« Reply #86 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:55 »

Well, I've never seen Rent, but I feel like if I do now I'll have to be getting up to something sexy because I will sure as hell be thinking "lesbian sex" the whole time.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #87 on: 21 Dec 2011, 16:04 »

Eh, if you've ever seen La Boheme, you've seen Rent. 

Except...
(click to show/hide)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #88 on: 21 Dec 2011, 16:59 »

Bíodh ghrianstad an gheimhridh sona.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #89 on: 21 Dec 2011, 20:19 »

Rent, aka AIDS: The Musical, was kinda blah. I guess I'm not gay enough? Especially since it's never made me have lesbian sex in the middle of it. Actually I think it'd be a buzz kill for any sex, because, you know, AIDS.

But speaking of Christmas and capitalism, I am almost done with my Christmas gifts! I have to make two more things tomorrow and buy my mom's gift and then I'm doooone. Yuss.

Zingoleb

« Reply #90 on: 21 Dec 2011, 20:39 »

It's not like the musical itself caused it. I think all of four minutes were paid attention to it. Then cookies.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #91 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:43 »

AAAAUGH!   Christmas! 

I need to start shoping, dammit.  This should go in the panic/stress thread...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #92 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:32 »

Zingoleb, I had a similar but much more PG experience with V For Vendetta. However that was a rather uncomfortable experience since I didn't really like the guy so now I want to watch it properly and can't do it without getting a slimy feeling.

Zingoleb

« Reply #93 on: 22 Dec 2011, 14:26 »

Awuhh! That is so sad for me, 'cause that is literally my favourite movie.

What the HELL spell-check? Why are you saying movie isn't a word?

Lupercal

« Reply #94 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:30 »

Well, now you'll have to wait till November 5th 2012 to be able to watch Hugo in his full glory, I'm afraid. Thems the rules.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #95 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:46 »

Rent, aka AIDS: The Musical, was kinda blah. I guess I'm not gay enough? Especially since it's never made me have lesbian sex in the middle of it. Actually I think it'd be a buzz kill for any sex, because, you know, AIDS.

My buddy lost his virginity immediately after watching the movie Kids.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up