Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your favourite?

Hannelore
Raven
Just can't choose!
Meh...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hannelore or Raven? Who's your favorite?  (Read 12002 times)

mike837go

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
Hannelore or Raven? Who's your favorite?
« on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:17 »

Hi all,

It's a slow comic day and with all the squee from Raven's return last week....

I realized that I like Hanners a whole lot more than Raven.

Raven may have some kind of insightful 'smarts' but even Jeph says that she's "dumber than two inbread hammers". As with most of the QC cast, she never considers the consquences of her actions, though her actions tend to have bigger consequences than just a hangover.

Hanners was probably the most seriously screwed up character. (Though a good argument for Faye could be made here.) Her OCD seems to be kept in check now. And (the part I admire most) is that Hanners truly understands what normal behavor is. She is not capable of it, though she tries. The incedent where she tried to give a flirty smile to a guy at the diner [archive jockies, help please?] and then checked that smile later, shows it clearly.

Hanners' sense of humor is rather admirable. When asked about here excessive piercings, she feigned a freak-out and gave implausable and plausable explanations. The "kill all the witnesses" was another good one. Though Dora took that one a bit too seriously.

So, what say? Who's more endearing, Hanners or Raven?
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
Re: Hannelore or Raven? Who's your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:20 »

BROS! BROS! BROS! BROS!

mike837go

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2011, 05:42 »

They're not endearing!

They are just the Spam Vikings in clean clothes.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2011, 06:02 by mike837go »
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:21 »

Hannelore's awkward childish thing gets a bit much. I feel like I'm supposed to be like,"D'AWWW, I could just eat you up!" when she gets like that and frankly it makes me uncomfortable.

At least when Raven is acting like not-a-normal-person, there's not the expectation for you to like her. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:22 »

Like 'em both. Hanners tries to preserve the order, Raven is the chaos agent. Matter. Antimatter. Doesn't matter. Comedy gold.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:23 »

You make a good case for Hannelore. In addition, we can admire her courage. Karaoke was only one example.

Raven is hardly a writeoff, though. She cares about friends and can counsel or compassionately confront.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:01 »

You say Raven is an idiot? I say its a case of Obfuscating Stupidity. Intelligence is thought by some to be a genetically inherited trait, and seeing she is the daughter of two nuclear physicists, it could also be a case of being a Genius Ditz. Or a Ditzy Genius.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2011, 08:12 »

Riffing on your quote: Blodwyn's booksmart, certain kinds of streetsmart. Not always social-smart. In certain things, dumber'n a bag o'hammers.

But she means well. Sorta.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2011, 12:01 »

What?  No poll?
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2011, 12:08 »

Yes poll.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2011, 14:01 »

I wanna see another Raven and Hanners scene, only because the dynamic between the two would have to be so much different from the first time they met (Raven not so outwardly ditzy and with some Science Fairy street cred, Hannelore much ... younger). Gotta wonder how Hanners would have reacted to Raven trying to climb into CoD through the ductwork.

DON'T make me CHOOOOOSE ... !

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2011, 14:07 »

What, no "both" option?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2011, 14:37 »

Sorted.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2011, 15:01 »

I wanna see another Raven and Hanners scene, only because the dynamic between the two would have to be so much different from the first time they met (Raven not so outwardly ditzy and with some Science Fairy street cred, Hannelore much ... younger). Gotta wonder how Hanners would have reacted to Raven trying to climb into CoD through the ductwork.

Not quite sure what you're saying here, but this is the first time we see Hanners meeting Raven (way before the duct incident).

Sorry, wasn't clear. Ductwork incident was Pen and Raven, of course, in which Pen registered mild ineffectual protest, then called Dora only after R was thoroughly trapped (y'notice, Pen's -- passive-aggressive? -- like that?)

Just got me to wondering what H would have done? Tried to help? Gone rigid with catatonic horror? Stood there because, well, Dora and/or Faye  would have shown up eventually? Just speculatin' really. ... And for the first meeting (thanks for the link; forgot about that one), I was actually thinking of the time Raven expressed incredulity at Hannelore (not quite yet Hanners) buying shoes online, and H not being sure if Raven was being sarcastic.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2011, 17:32 »

Raven and Hannelore - Matter and Anti-Matter.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2011, 16:15 »

Post duct - an analysis of Raven that I liked. 

Personally, like Kugai says, they are very different characters, and have their own attractive (and repulsive) aspects.  I vote both.   

Or is that neither? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LoveJaneAusten

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2011, 21:58 »

Basically Raven hasn't had a chance to be anywhere as annoying as Hannelore in recent years.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2011, 23:20 »

I don't really see how these characters can be compared/contrasted at all. They are completely different characters with absolutely no similar traits. It would be like choosing between Pintsize and Marten's dad's fiance. In fact, I can't remember a single instance of the two interacting. They probably have, at some point, but I know for a fact that they hardly ever speak to one another or are even the focus in the same strip.
Hate, rain on me

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2011, 05:25 »

My current top 10:

1. Hanners
2. Faye
3. Raven
4. Cosette
5. Ellen
6. Marigold
7. Penepole
8. Pizza Girl
9. Marten
10. Steve
Carpe Diem

mike837go

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:04 »

Love the poll A, B, Both and Neither.

This thread isn't about who's better.

It's about who each of us likes more.

I had forgottend about the killing therapists until you find one you like strip.  Just anothter example of Hanner's sense of humor. And of Faye's habit of taking the irrational to its illogical conclusion .

[OMG, the 'new' apartment was 1600 strips ago?]
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2011, 19:09 »

I can see a basis for comparison: both characters have great seemingly conflicting traits (stupid / genius, and pierced / germophobe). These inner contradictions are what make them interesting.

Hanners is interesting for more than that, though: there's also spacedad and businessmom. So she gets my vote.

questionablecontentfan

• Beyoncé
  • bed head
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2011, 13:59 »

Yeah, but Hanners is pierced too...

Raven is actually smart, she just hides it well.

I like them both, but I am waiting for the poll asking about Marigold, because she is my number one.
Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over
so many things that I wanna say, you know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight--I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2011, 14:52 »

Post duct - an analysis of Raven that I liked. 

Personally, like Kugai says, they are very different characters, and have their own attractive (and repulsive) aspects.  I vote both.   

Or is that neither? 

Actually I meant what happens when Matter and Anti-Matter come together.

"Mr. Whitaker, Warp speed!"
James The Kugai 

mike837go

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:08 »

Uh, real smooth. :x

Referencing the ONE character who killed himself prior to the start of the strip. Or were you just being unconsously sexist? Only men can pilot starships?

Ms. Whitaker or Mr. Reed or anyone else that didn't really screw things up would have been nice.

Let's face it, Ms. Ellicott-Chatham probably already has  the qualifications!

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 05:18 by mike837go »
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2011, 19:18 »

Ummmm

I meant 'Mr'. in the Generic Military Term.  I was envisioning Faye at the Helm.

"At ease Mister Kim before you sprain something."
"Yes Sir!"
"I prefer Captain, or ma'am in in crunch - I'll tell you when it's crunch time."
"Yes Si . . . Captain."

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 19:22 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

Thiefree

• mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:47 »

I like them both, but I am waiting for the poll asking about Marigold, because she is my number one.

Oh, I explained that badly. I meant that Raven's stupidity hides her genius, that that Hanners has piercings despite being quite squeamish about that sort of thing. The conflicts are internal, which mean they can both surprise us at any given moment.

mike837go

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:47 »

Oh, I explained that badly. I meant that Raven's stupidity hides her genius, that that Hanners has piercings despite being quite squeamish about that sort of thing. The conflicts are internal, which mean they can both surprise us at any given moment.

I'd argue that Raven is not stupid. Not by a long chalk! She simply doesn't bother to think things through. She's a very RIGHT NOW kind of person. Whatever feels good 'right now', what should be done 'right now'. Without considering any possible consquences.

Hannelore, while screwed up in her own way, at least considers the possibilites. And drives herself into a tizzy when she realizes there are so many!

-Skippy's List

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jul 2011, 19:53 »

Hanners, 'cause she HURTS 'EM!

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2011, 18:28 »

It's hard to choose one over the other, but I chose Raven, mostly out of the way Hanners has been Flanderized from her first appearance in the strip. Like most, I enjoyed the idea of seeing a female character who seemed to acknowledge her own craziness, possibly even work with it. Given, this might not allow for many jokes or humor moments, but the downfall from that to "child in grown-up body" seemed to bring a few notches down in Hanners' case.

Raven on the other hand, has had some time off, during which her Flanderization seems to have kept her mostly intact, with her still being the sweet-natured girly girl with a healthy libido and moments of savant-level insight and knowledge. I enjoy seeing her energetic bursts and punchline-based interjections, so hopefully we'll be seeing her slowly "re-assimilate" into the group once again.

Point goes to Raven.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2011, 19:00 »

I love them both. I do.

But I chose Hannelore of the two. I myself have a minor form of OCD, which is partly thanks to a lot of hard work on my part to control it. When I see Hanners, I see hope. I see a woman who is able to see pros and cons of her own disorder. She enjoys counting. But she doesn't enjoy all of her social awkwardness. It breaks my heart every time she realizes she's done something a little off or that she's not comfortable with something that all of her friends are comfortable with. But there's still a glimmer of hope; she's slowly learning and socializing in a way she's never tried to before. She's learning new things and finding all sorts of experiences she's never had because she'd locked herself away.

She's a genuinely hard worker in everything she does. And not all of that is due to her OCD. When she started working at Coffee of Doom, she wanted to be like a normal person and function just like everybody else in society (1709, one of my favorite QC strips to date). Her first day at Coffee of Doom (1757), she stuck it out for 2 hours! Yes, that doesn't seem like much to most people. But for Hanners? That's kind of impressive. Any point, she could have easily walked out, but she was determined to overcome her OCD and made it through it all.

She's got her problems. But she knows what they are and tries to work on them, trying to improve herself. I like that Hanners has so much room to grow, and I genuinely look forward to seeing how things progress from here for her.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Rainforce

• Not quite a lurker
  • :D
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:57 »

I would chose for Hannelore, although I think this opinion is influenced too much by the fact that raven didn't show up for some time.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:24 »

They'd both be fun to be around and, as depicted by Jeph, are both good people who mean well. Hannelore gets points for consciously working to overcome/work around (or with) her OCD, as lollbot pointed out above -- but I'd give her more points for this: Although the decision to seek the job at the coffee shop was a thought-out move, in consultation with her therapist, to benefit herself, she has spontaneously undertaken something her OCD or germ phobia or both would have prevented her from doing, when she saw a friend in trouble. She helps herself by helping her friends. No, she's not a perfect saint from space. It's kind of interesting to me that the one thing guaranteed to piss her off is self-pity.

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:37 »

Well, my personal favorite is Hannelore although that might partly be due to the fact that she's had a significant amount more screen-time and her development since the early days of the comic has been absolutely phenomenal. She has gone through so much growth using one of the examples that DSL used, undertaking courses of action and being more accepting that she cannot control other people's germ control (personally, one of my favorite moments is when she catches out Faye and Angus making out on her couch and she cleans up afterwards. I can personally relate to that!).

Hannelore is also IMO a great deal more interesting and eccentric than Raven. Brings new elements and plot to the table.

(I tend to have a liking for the most bizarre and eccentric characters :3)
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2011, 15:29 »

Without a doubt, Raven.

I like Hanners, but, especially in recent years, there's been too many scenes of Hanners being cute, or Hanners getting scared, or Hanners getting scared which somehow makes her cute, etc.

Unlike Hanners, Raven's antics never really got old, and her rare moments of insight were far more amusing to read than Hanners' rare moments of "omg im trying something new look at me go". Raven's just plain funnier too, and it's fun to see Jeph write a character that isn't quite on the same wavelength as the other characters.

On a sidenote, I kind of want Raven and Tai to meet - unless they have already, but I'm drawing a blank.
yeah um no

Faye Whitaker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2011, 08:11 »

Between the two I pick Hannelore. So many of her scenes just make me go D'awwww.

Yarin

« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:51 »

hannelore marigold then momo
Your friendly neighborhood alien

Aww i wanted to explode.

I'm in my own private universe of porn right now

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:10 »

Thread necrophilia! 

Yarin

« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:23 »

no thread necromancer i raise the dead i DON'T make love to it

Aww i wanted to explode.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:22 »

Somehow, "necromancer" just doesn't sound any better...

:psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #39 on: 13 Nov 2011, 13:07 »

pwhodges and I agreed to repeal that rule anyway.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov 2011, 13:21 »

As a rule, yes; however, there is still the danger that old threads might get resurrected which would better be left in peace, like the other one from 2008 which contains posts that I wouldn't have allowed.

Yarin

« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2011, 15:44 »

Not my fault I was unaware it would cause a problem

Aww i wanted to explode.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #42 on: 13 Nov 2011, 16:08 »

That's why there are rules and guidelines stickied at the top of the forum - even in a forum, ignorance of the rules is a poor justification.  The thread I referred to is a borderline case, and I've perhaps been rather strict with it; but that's how it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up