THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening  (Read 732471 times)

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening
« Reply #150 on: 10 Jan 2009, 20:43 »

Tera Melos - Idioms Vol. I

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hfmmq0o5gw5

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #151 on: 10 Jan 2009, 21:01 »

New Franz Ferdinand leaked:

http://www.ziddu.com/download/3155159/TonightFranzFerdinand2009.rar.html

I'm downloading it now.
And without further ado, I am done typing.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #152 on: 10 Jan 2009, 22:13 »

I was playing on youtube and realize I never posted this last year. Kid Beyond is a livelooping beatboxer who more or less builds a song then sings over it. The EP includes a Portishead cover and is truly astounding.

Kid Beyond - Amplivate

Quote from: AMG
Beatboxing -- using only one's voice to create often highly intricate and funky drum patterns -- is a well-respected art in the hip-hop community. But if the ability to beatbox well commands respect, the ability to do so at a virtuosic level commands something more along the lines of disbelief and can give rise to suspicion that the beatboxer has crossed the line into mere gimmickry. Kid Beyond goes one step further than virtuosity, not only creating beats and sounds that seem humanly impossible, but looping and layering them with his sung vocals and thereby creating complete musical compositions. If he could beatbox in a manner that would have you disbelieving your ears, that would be interesting for about three minutes. But because he invests his amazing skills in the creation of fully realized music, the result is music that is interesting in and of itself, regardless of how it was made. Kid Beyond's debut release is an eight-track EP containing three original compositions, a jaw-dropping arrangement of Portishead's "Wandering Star," and four remixes, all of which are fun enough but (ironically) none of which is as interesting as the original on which it's based. Highlights include the frenetically jungly "Mothership" and the more meditative and dreamy "Deep Inside." There's a deeply human sweetness to Kid Beyond's attitude, yet another aspect of his art that tends to set him apart from the hip-hop mainstream. The full-length follow-up can't come soon enough.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jut2mzu0yht
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #153 on: 11 Jan 2009, 00:34 »

Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #154 on: 11 Jan 2009, 03:46 »

I listened to it and at first nearly vomited from the blatant Springsteen vocal rip.  I soon got over it for the same reason you sited above.

I've heard all the Springsteen comparisons, but I'm not one to notice them.  Mostly because I have never had the chance to listen to him.  I wouldn't know where to start, really.

You can't go wrong with Born to Run. The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle is a good starting point, too. After that, his work got a lot more brooding and serious. Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River, and Nebraska are all excellent, but they're dark, dark albums.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #155 on: 11 Jan 2009, 10:14 »

A friend of mine's older brother sythpop band. It's like teenie bopper tracks high on crack rock candy.

http://www.med!afire.com/download.php?d1zj5qynoyd

« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 10:26 by pentaen »

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #156 on: 11 Jan 2009, 10:41 »

Panthu Du Prince - Diamond Daze (2004)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?ykmijmrnzjw

AMG
When Hendrik Weber isn't playing bass for Stella or making tracks as Gluhen4 or Panthel, he's producing haunted microhouse as Pantha du Prince. This is Weber's first album under the alias, following a 12" from 2002. The reasons why he's on Lawrence and Turner's Dial label are made apparent right off the bat. Not unlike Lawrence or Carsten Jost, Weber's tracks are equally fit for the club and as a companion for staring out of your bedroom window on a lonely overcast day. Cavernous 4/4 rhythms are joined by downcast elements — subtle clicks and pops, gentle swarms of synthetic strings, snow-blind keyboards, dulled-out chimes. Weber's own infatuation with '80s miserablists is often in effect; while Lawrence has swiped Morrissey lyrics for track titles, Weber either approximates or lifts the sounds of the frostbitten guitars from early Cocteau Twins and Cure records. "Eisregen" twinkles darkly, while "Circle Glider" — its frantic palsy coming off like a missing track from Herbert's Globus Mix, Vol. 5: Letsallmakemistakes mix — opens and closes with samples from the Chills' fatalist classic "Pink Frost." The concluding "Glycerine," cloaked in midnight fog, is the eeriest of all, with panning ripples inducing further turbulence. A deep male voice intones like it's spinning a ghost story: "So we went down that way to the castle/Everything was...foggy." If it hadn't already been made readily apparent, Dial has positioned itself as the premier goth (not Goth) label. This album challenges Lawrence's The Absence of Blight as the label's best to date.

Black Tambourine - The Complete Recordings (1999)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtz3kdikzdu

AMG
Black Tambourine was one of the first (and finest) bands to grace the Slumberland catalog -- the label's reissue of their work collects all of the material from the short string of singles they released before moving on to other projects. Slumberland's decision to collect and reissue the material is commendable -- Black Tambourine's work can truly be described as seminal, not only because the band's members moved on to such excellent projects (Archie Moore and Brian Nelson to Velocity Girl, and Pam Berry to the Glo-Worms and the Castaway Stones), but also because the band's sound practically defines the state of indie rock in the early '90s, when many American bands were looking to Britain's shoegazing trend for inspiration. As one might expect, Black Tambourine's noisy guitars and ethereal female vocals tend to sound like a more conventionally indie pop-based warm-up to the blissful noise of Velocity Girl's Copacetic -- in fact, the material on Complete Recordings frequently surpasses Copacetic, with its shambling and C-86 influences lending it a purity and indie charm that was traded for focus and complexity at the onset of Velocity Girl's career. The album also serves as a time capsule for the indie-pop culture of its contemporaries -- there's the inordinate number of songs about crushes, songs about crushes on Stephen Pastel ("Throw Aggi from the Bridge"), a high level of attention to British music, and all of the other indie-pop hallmarks that spread during the '90s (as typified by some wonderfully nostalgic liner notes). It's doubtful that too many of the bands that followed in this vein drew their inspiration specifically from Black Tambourine, but there's still a heavy debt owed to them, and Slumberland's reissue of Complete Recordings is an excellent way to pay it.

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 11:13 by pat101 »

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #157 on: 11 Jan 2009, 12:41 »

I've heard all the Springsteen comparisons, but I'm not one to notice them.  Mostly because I have never had the chance to listen to him.  I wouldn't know where to start, really.

You can't go wrong with Born to Run. The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle is a good starting point, too. After that, his work got a lot more brooding and serious. Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River, and Nebraska are all excellent, but they're dark, dark albums.
[/quote]

I would say Greetings From Asbury Park is my favorite at this moment and time, and it's pretty upbeat as well.  Nebraska is a monumental work and a pretty unique album in the Springsteen catalogue.  
If I understood anything about this mediaf!re uploading business I would potentially upload them.  Maybe that could be a motivator to start contributing to this thread.

edit: I got beaten to the punch!  Thanks, though, for the uploads!
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 12:43 by ALoveSupreme »

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #158 on: 11 Jan 2009, 16:49 »

(Lots of The Boss.)

I may have fallen in love.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

memann

• Plantmonster
  • I haven't actually seen Wall-E yet.
    • My Threadless Blog
« Reply #159 on: 11 Jan 2009, 17:41 »

The Elephant 6 Orchestra Live at Chicago Oct. 21 2008
Parts 1 and 2:
http://www.med!afire.com/?sharekey=0e1a52e4b7c149f6d2db6fb9a8902bdaTracklist:
1. His Mister's Pet Whistles - Major Organ and the Adding Machine
2. Yesterday's World - Circulatory System
3. (filler)
4. Love Athena - The Olivia Tremor Control
5. NYC 25 - The Olivia Tremor Control
6. The Afternoon - The Apples in Stereo
7. Snorkel - The Gerbils
8. Lead - The Gerbils
9. Spiral Stairs - Elf Power
10. Old Familiar Scene - Elf Power
11. Karaoke Free - Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't
12. I Have Been Floated - The Olivia Tremor Control
13. (Filmstrip Intermission)
14. Kolyada #2 - Julian Koster
15. No Growing - The Olivia Tremor Control
16. Stream Running Over - The Apples in Stereo
17 . Devils - 63 Crayons
18. Back to the Web - Elf Power
19. The Arrow Flies - Elf Power
20. Songs for Oceans Falling - The Music Tapes
21. (a poem reading)
22. Cynicism - Nana Grizol
23. Ginsberg - Nana Grizol
24. Two Skies - The Gerbils
25. My Honor - The Gerbils
26. Mister Henry - Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't
27. Solid Forms Dissolve - Circulatory System
28. A Sleepy Company - The Olivia Tremor Control
29. (filler 2)
30. Sunshine Fix - The Olivia Tremor Control
31. The Fool - Neutral Milk hotel
32. Life Forms (Transmission Received) - Major Organ and the Adding Machine
33. Everything You Ever Hoped or Worked For - Nana Grizol
34. Blackbox (Constellations) - Nana Grizol
35. Glue - The Gerbils
36. The Opera House - The Olivia Tremor Control
37. Skyway - The Apples in Stereo
38. Neon Globe - The Olivia Tremor Control
39. Manifest Destiny - The Music Tapes
40. Forever - Circulatory System
I'm just some tall, dark, and handsome dude... Minus the tall and handsome parts.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #160 on: 11 Jan 2009, 18:43 »

Holy crap that Gaslight Anthem album is good.  The music is great, and the lyrics are right down Springsteen's alley.  The vocals reminded me of if Brandon Flowers Springsteen impersonation was good and mixed a little with non-raspy Tom Gabel vocals.  Or "Hungry Heart" type Springsteen.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Albatron

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #161 on: 11 Jan 2009, 22:20 »

re-upped by request

Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends

Part 1
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?nk0zyjgyjnhPart 2
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?2dtnzyztyjl

uploaded in two parts because mediaf!re was being a jerk.

anybody else having problems with part one of this? I tried it twice, wouldn't open. Part 2 seemed fine though.

Oh yeah, thanks for more Causa Sui, and the rest of that stuff onewheelwizard. I'm diggin it.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 22:22 by Albatron »

minus_the_david

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #162 on: 11 Jan 2009, 22:34 »

so i don't know if this is considered a request or not, but back on page 38, some one had posted some CCR albums, Bayou country, Wily and Poor Boys, and Cosmo's Factory. i tried to download them, and thanks to sendspace, it wouldn't le me. so is there a way to re-up them? cause i would love to have them as well...hopefully this is not a request, just a re-up plead!

blashco

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #163 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:37 »

This is a really really embarrassing question, but it is for a girl (uhoh)

I accidently let my girlfriend know that I sometimes posess the ability to obtain albums before they are released (did it with coldplay, shins, etc etc)

Now she thinks that there is some magical site where all albums are available.

Anyway... here it goes...

Does anybody know anywhere I can get the new The Fray album.

Ugh, I can't believe I am asking you guys this.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #164 on: 12 Jan 2009, 06:07 »

Ben you beat me!  I was gonna put up a Springsteen mega-post too.

FYOI: for those of you just getting into the Boss, after Tunnel of Love his albums sort of started sucking.  There were some decent singles, but that's about it.  The Rising is absolutely worth having, however.  Magic was hit or miss, and he has a new album out in like two weeks.

If I have time I'll get to the rest of his stuff this afternoon, unless someone else beats me to it.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #165 on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:25 »

Parts 1 and 2:
http://www.med!afire.com/?sharekey=0e1a52e4b7c149f6d2db6fb9a8902bda

sweeeet
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

snakes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #166 on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:34 »

Hey, what is the deal with the
Parts 1 and 2
? Because I will download it anyway, but I'm just interested in some background info.

Timeless classics:

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tujrdm4fxtm
The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yxmmnzht2n0

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #167 on: 12 Jan 2009, 10:42 »

The e6 concert is taken straight from an NPR recording IIRC.

It's very good.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #168 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:07 »

yes. yes, it is.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #169 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:43 »

Jets to Brazil

I'm pretty much gonna let AMG do all the work for me with this post, since they sum up Jets to Brazil's backstory and sound better than I could...

Quote from: All Music Guide
Consisting of ex-Jawbreaker frontman Blake Schwarzenbach, ex-Texas Is the Reason drummer Chris Daly, and ex-Handsome vocalist/guitarist Jeremy Chatelain, Jets to Brazil could be considered an amalgam of their forefathers with a slightly darker and more mature musical perspective. With the 1998 release of their first LP, Orange Rhyming Dictionary, Jets to Brazil took the expectations of their peers and turned them on their heads, surprising most with their breed of music that is fresh and excitingly powerful. As the bandmembers continue to move away from their namesakes and become more comfortable with their expanding sound, the world could see something quite intriguing evolve. Jets to Brazil followed up with Four Cornered Night in August 2000. Two years later, the band returned with their darkest, most inspirational material to date; Perfecting Loneliness appeared on Jade Tree in October 2002 and reflected mega-tight musicianship from the band.

So, the full discography:

"Orange Rhyming Dictionary" (1998)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?uzzjmc3idnm
Being one of the more anticipated independent releases of 1998, Orange Rhyming Dictionary combines emo-inflected pop sensibilities with the occasional keyboards. Despite the occasional use of wah-wah pedal guitars in "I Typed for Miles," which sounds almost identical to Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box," Jets to Brazil live up to their hype. Most of the songs clock in at an epic length while containing storytelling lyrics with Blake Schwarzenbach's (formerly of Jawbreaker) trademark raspy vocals. Mood swings also accompany the sound of Orange Rhyming Dictionary, which can move from laid-back and gloomy too upbeat and not as gloomy, all in a good sort of way though. Definitely recommended.

"Four Cornered Night" (2000)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?bjyezykjido
Leaving his punk roots completely behind him, Blake Schwarzenbach, former singer/guitarist for Jawbreaker, plays it very sweet on Four Cornered Night, the second record from his slightly arty indie rock project Jets to Brazil. His songs have always been melodramatic, even Jawbreaker's most fiery, emo-punk classics like "Chesterfield Kings" or "I Want You." But with Four Cornered Night, he indulges in the sort of over-the-top sentimentality that is more reminiscent of a lengthy novel by Proust than anything you'd expect from a rock band. But these ballads do rock at a lazy pace, and while "All Things Good and Nice" is too sappy and self-centered, other numbers like "In the Summer When You Really Know" and "Pale New Dawn" are lovely, heartfelt beauties and among the best tunes Schwarzenbach has ever penned. With Four Cornered Night, it is obvious that Schwarzenbach is making exactly the sort of record he wants, and though his old punk fan base has long since fled, indie kids go bonkers over his more sensitive side, as they should.

"Perfecting Loneliness" (2002)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?jmmmyyzwcjn
Perfecting Loneliness finds Jets to Brazil continuing their trajectory from Jawbreaker to Orange Rhyming Dictionary to Four Cornered Night. With this outing, the band develops their folk-pop repertoire via a set of summer-tinged, bittersweet memories. With deeper instrumentation, undone piano melodies, and larger-than-life orchestration, Schwarzenbach and company manage to turn intimate observations into moments of transcendent grandeur — and while the album might not sound exactly like Nick Drake, the effect is the same. It's an emotional journey for sure, as songs like "Psalm" drift into the territory reserved for the likes of James Taylor. But Jets to Brazil maintains just enough rock crunch to keep the album driving. It's not all gloomy and glum — "Autumn Walker" and "William Tell Override" still seethe with the punk-pop power of Hüsker Dü and Sugar and a relentlessly optimistic groove. But the final song, "Rocket Boy," is the most ambitious, and it will leave listeners welling up with nostalgia and yearning.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 16:39 by spoon_of_grimbo »

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #170 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:45 »

The E6 live recording doesn't sound very good through my crappy speakers :(

I am just going to listen to some Major Organ and sulk.

ellis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #171 on: 12 Jan 2009, 12:43 »

Oooooo...I lost most of my Jets to Brazil a while ago and have been missing it a little.  Thanks a ton! 

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #172 on: 12 Jan 2009, 13:09 »

Whoever you are, I love you.

EDIT: Except the songs aren't tagged properly.  Oh well, better than nothing.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 14:08 by Jackie Blue »
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Genbot2500

• Emoticontraindication
  • Walking along a mobius strip, feeling lost
« Reply #173 on: 12 Jan 2009, 13:22 »

The branflakes - Bubbles

Incredibly upbeat electronic, usually mixed using spoken word or audio books. I think you can find their albums for free on the internet, but alright then.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=d9ff7e0a539b7560d2db6fb9a8902bda

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #174 on: 12 Jan 2009, 14:02 »

I *love* Bonnie 'Prince' Billy now.  Thank you introducing me to this loveliness.

howsabout 3 Brett Dennen Albums.
http://www.last.fm/music/Brett+Dennen

Brett Dennen - Brett Dennen
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?hzxgyoj23lm

Brett Dennen - So Much More
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?w4xmamvypme

Brett Dennen - Hope for the Hopeless
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?gmez4zgwhyv

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #175 on: 12 Jan 2009, 14:18 »

impossible!

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #176 on: 12 Jan 2009, 14:32 »

JAWBREAKER

Unfun

http://www.mediafire.com/?txxomiwniu3
Jawbreaker could be easily described as a pop-punk band with more of a dark side. Not that this isn't true, but it just wouldn't do this trio any justice to their poetic lyrics and complex song structures. With Unfun, a very influential record way ahead of its time, they make a name for themselves -- not as your run-of-the-mill punk band with a verse-chorus-verse style, but rather as a band that provides fitting background to the personal side that they're not afraid to show. For example, take one of the more energetic songs on the album, "Busy," in which the person offers a helping hand to a friend on the verge of mental collapse ("When nothing seems to be quite worth it and sleep becomes the only sure thing/I'm here to help you out of it/Come and see me for a lift"). But two tracks later, self-doubt and guilt are present in "Wound": "Feel my burning rash/Old scabs on my back/Deep red welts from hating myself/I was once, once so strong." Quite an emotional roller coaster, but at the same time it gives Unfun its edge and originality.

Bivouac

http://www.mediafire.com/?iyyyexywode
Listening to Jawbreaker is likely to get you thinking about countless other grunge/thrash pop bands, from Nirvana to Sugar to Helmet. That shouldn't scare you away from Bivouac...Guitarist Blake Schwarzenbach is a ferocious string mauler who adds deft twists and turns to his ultra-loud rush of chords, vocalizing in a scream/sing/shout manner...Bivouac is for the most part a faster and louder proposition defined by speedy guitar raunch and smart (smartalecky?) songwriting. "Chesterfield King" is a wonderful boy-meets-girl story rife with understated awkwardness and sexual tentativeness, while "Tour Song" succinctly and accurately sums up the pros and cons of gigging...

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

http://www.mediafire.com/?cyngwqvdo2g
More trials and tribulations than an average episode of Melrose Place, Jawbreaker continues to explore their personal struggles on their third album, fittingly titled 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. Continuing on the Jawbreaker tradition of poetic lyrics that provide a mental image to each song, the band deals with their endeavors through music instead of wallowing in them, making this record not entirely bleak. "Do You Still Hate Me," for example, has the persona dishing out the friction of a relationship gone sour through talking to the person in question: "I wrote you a letter/I heard it upset you/How can I do this better/We're getting older/But we're acting younger." Being critiqued and ostracized from their scene during the height of their popularity was another headache singer/songwriter Blake Schwarzenbach dealt with around the time this album was released (their previous album, Bivouac, provided them with a huge cult following). This no doubt inspired the song "Indictment," which talks about not caring what anyone thinks of their songwriting ("I just wrote the dumbest song/It's going to be a singalong/Our enemies will laugh and be pointing/It wont bother me, what the thoughtless are thinking"). Providing the perfect flow of temperamental pop to go along with these stories is proof enough that 24 Hour Revenge Therapy is the pivot of Jawbreaker's creative output.

Dear You

http://www.mediafire.com/?woynymm4i3z
1995's Dear You finds Jawbreaker cleaning up and streamlining their punk-pop sound and coming up with a sleek, slick punk-grunge classic that relies as much on clever songwriting and restrained emotions as it does on the group's trademarked high-energy attack. From the opening chords of the anthemic "Save Your Generation," Blake Schwarzenbach's vocals are the star. He was coming off of throat surgery that robbed him of a lot of his vocal power but gave him a smoky intimate sound that gives the feeling that he is whispering right in your ear. On songs like "I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both" or "Jet Black," he sounds wounded in a way that screaming could never convey. The album is a powerful mix of jumpy punk-pop like "Bad Scene," "Everybody's Fault," "Fireman," and the aching "Chemistry" and mid-tempo tracks like the amazing "Jet Black," "Million," and "Basilica that escapes being tied to the time of grunge-by-the-numbers by being melodic and heartfelt without going over the top, by being just punk enough to be real and just epic enough to rise above the often boringly earnest approach of too many punk bands. Along with Weezer's Blue Album, Dear You is one of the cornerstones upon which emo and late-'90s punk-pop were built. Certainly Jimmy Eat World wore out their copy, as Bleed American sounds like a less produced younger brother, and Dashboard Confessional's whole oeuvre sounds like a lesser version of Dear You's acoustic "Unlisted Track." Depending on how you feel about emo, there is either a lot to blame Jawbreaker for or be thankful for here. Either way, Dear You is one of the best rock records of the '90s and a fitting last testament to a great band.

That's every album except Etc. and Live 4/30/96.  I tried to upload Etc. but it's over 100MB and I don't really have enough time split it up and upload it again.  I don't have the live album.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 18:07 by Cire27 »

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #177 on: 12 Jan 2009, 15:13 »

impossible!

I soon found that out! It was never a combination I had tried before.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #178 on: 12 Jan 2009, 15:28 »

Number Girl - School Girl Distortional Addict
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?tr2ybrkmogm

I just noticed that this had been posted a little while ago and would like to bring it back to your attention.
Why? This CD is a testament to the Japanese music scene.
Number Girl, a band of the 90's in SGDA, took its influences from quite an array of bands. They drew from Sonic Youth, the Pixies, and Hüsker Dü, among others. (Read: track 2 Pixie Du)
Before I tell you about the other CD's which I've uploaded, I'm going to give credit to Pogotross for uploading this album. It's one of my favorites.

Number Girl - Sappukei

http://www.mediafire.com/?zydmng5mmxt
Number Girl - Num-Heavy Metallic

http://www.mediafire.com/?ydghzmjyn4g
Sappukei came after School Girl Distortion Addict, and Num-Heavy Metallic followed Sappukei. All amazing albums in their own right. Then, suddenly, Number Girl split.
From there singer/guitarist Shutoku Mukai went on to form mathy punk band Zazen Boys. Here is their second release.

Zazen Boys - Zazen Boys II

http://www.mediafire.com/?fyw5ywtwguz
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

memann

• Plantmonster
    • My Threadless Blog
« Reply #179 on: 12 Jan 2009, 16:23 »

Whoever you are, I love you.

EDIT: Except the songs aren't tagged properly.  Oh well, better than nothing.

Put them into itunes. The song info is there, I just realized i forgot to name the actual files themselves.
I love you too.

EDIT: Yes it is taken straight from the NPR site, but I separated it into 40 tracks, instead of just one big fucking one.
Heres some background info: (from here:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96105602)

October 27, 2008 -  It was a magical and historic night for indie-rock. For the first time in more than a decade, the founding members of the widely adored and influential Elephant 6 Collective, including Robert Schneider (The Apples in Stereo) and the famously reclusive Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel), took the stage together for a sprawling live performance. The group, which featured 15 artists from 10 different bands, served up more than three hours of joyous, psych-tinged singalongs under the glow of the rainbow-colored lights at Chicago's Bottom Lounge on Oct. 21, 2008.
The Elephant 6 Collective "is definitely back," tour organizer Julian Koster (Neutral Milk Hotel, The Music Tapes) said after the show. "Somehow, everything's happening for us now. I don't know why we were ever interrupted, and why all this is happening now. But we're all just so happy. It just seems like a fact now. [Elephant 6] is back."
After forming in the early '90s and releasing a number of acclaimed albums, The Elephant 6 Collective — a large family of likeminded bands — eventually dissolved, as members moved on to other projects or went on indefinite hiatus. Though loose configurations of the group have given a handful of one-off performances since, most recently in 2005, the current tour marks a new beginning.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 16:44 by memann »
I'm just some tall, dark, and handsome dude... Minus the tall and handsome parts.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #180 on: 12 Jan 2009, 16:40 »

Oooooo...I lost most of my Jets to Brazil a while ago and have been missing it a little.  Thanks a ton! 

no probs man.  i've added the link for Orange Rhyming Dictionary back in that post.  whatever was wrong with mediaf!re seems to have been fixed  :-)

thedudeoflife

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #181 on: 12 Jan 2009, 17:43 »

I have heard a rumor that new Asobi Seksu is out....can anyone confirm this? or is this just another person who found an album that has been out for a long tim?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #182 on: 12 Jan 2009, 17:48 »

i can confirm that. i haven't listened to it but i saw a couple links for it somewhere.

thedudeoflife

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #183 on: 12 Jan 2009, 17:54 »

Dam well you should let me and all these other fine people know were these links might be...because i would sure like to hear it

thedudeoflife

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #184 on: 12 Jan 2009, 17:55 »

By any chance is it called....... Hush?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #185 on: 12 Jan 2009, 18:03 »

sordomusic.com

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #186 on: 12 Jan 2009, 18:08 »

There, that Jawbreaker is finally up.  I really hope Blake puts something out with The Thorns of Life.

thedudeoflife

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #187 on: 12 Jan 2009, 18:17 »

Asobi Seksu-Hush

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mulziomkwnv

Clapyourhandssaywhhaatt

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #188 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:11 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mcmjzjndd4o

Frightened Rabbit-Sing The Greys

Sing the Greys is Frightened Rabbit's first full-length album.
They are a Scottish Folk Rock band.
They are just good and that's all you need to know.
I will post their latest album very shortly.

I'm new to this tell me what I did wrong because I know something isn't right.
This dude's angry posts still come attached with good music. I approve.

memann

• Plantmonster
    • My Threadless Blog
« Reply #189 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:16 »

Asobi Seksu-Hush

http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?mulziomkwnv

Either this is down, or med!afire stopped making me happy.

thedudeoflife

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #190 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:24 »

i just tried it and it is def not down

blashco

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #191 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:26 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mcmjzjndd4o

Frightened Rabbit-Sing The Greys

Sing the Greys is Frightened Rabbit's first full-length album.
They are a Scottish Folk Rock band.
They are just good and that's all you need to know.
I will post their latest album very shortly.

I'm new to this tell me what I did wrong because I know something isn't right.

Their new album is better.

Put the link in a text field next time.  (it is the button that looks like a pound
  • sign)

Thanks, a great addition.  I love Frightened Rabbit.

Clapyourhandssaywhhaatt

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #192 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:30 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7e9d47b3a764773791b20cc0d07ba4d2f96dd9f5a96b76bc
Frightened Rabbit-The Midnight Organ Fight.
GET IT. Trust me on this one.

Yeah this album is much much better.
I just discovered their older one earlier this morning so I uploaded that one first.
Thanks for the pound sign tip, I was boggled on what I was supposed to do.

Moose

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #193 on: 12 Jan 2009, 22:50 »

Fever Ray - Fever Ray (2009)

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4LBQ2HA

This was leaked yesterday, amazing album, EVERYONE should download this and buy the album when it comes out in March.

For those of you who don't know, Fever Ray is Karin Dreijer Andersson (half of The Knife) new solo project

More stuff, including the video for the single 'If I had a Heart' here - www.feverray.com

{sorry about the file being on Megaupload, Mediafire is down for another couple hours}

« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 22:52 by Moose »

memann

• Plantmonster
    • My Threadless Blog
« Reply #194 on: 12 Jan 2009, 22:55 »

Fuck Buttons remix of Fever Ray's 'If I had a Heart' (just an mp3 stream, don't get your hopes up):
http://stereogum.com/archives/new-fever-ray-if-i-had-a-heart-fuck-buttons-remix-stereogum-premiere_044931.html

Moose

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #195 on: 12 Jan 2009, 23:00 »

What do you mean 'don't get your hopes up'?

Never mind the remix, the entire album is up there^^  :-D

Mr. Tool

• Furry furrier
  • 1978 Whittling Champion (Southwest Region)
« Reply #196 on: 13 Jan 2009, 08:06 »

That Fever Ray album is all kinds of awesome.

Here's another leak:

Handsome Furs - Face Control

http://www.mediafire.com/?xz4hvotmonm
Note: for whatever reason the leaked copy is missing track 10

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
« Reply #197 on: 13 Jan 2009, 09:52 »

hxxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4LBQ2HA

Any chance you could put this on medaf!re?
Megaupload is doesn't seem to be working and I'm super excited to listen to this :(
Thanks

Mr. Tool

• Furry furrier
  • 1978 Whittling Champion (Southwest Region)
« Reply #198 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:14 »

Any chance you could put this on medaf!re?
Megaupload is doesn't seem to be working and I'm super excited to listen to this :(
Thanks
Here ya go:

(it's 320 kbps and the files are just a little over 100 MB, so I had to split it into two)

Part 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2mmyz02nknzPart 2:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gldqtjrd3z0

Clapyourhandssaywhhaatt

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #199 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:24 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=7e9d47b3a7647737d2db6fb9a8902bda
Led Zeppelin-Presence
Another Musical Sacrifice to the Forum Gods.

The 76' album.
Amazing. Amazinng.
It's Zeppelin come on??
I didn't really see much of them on here so I will also be posting Early Days and Latter Days.
If someone could please tell me how to put Album covers on here as well, I'd appreciate it.

Here is Early Days and Latter Days.
If you need information about it, I'm just going to say take the 0.2 seconds and google that shit.
OR take the download and understand the album titles, If you're a zeppelin fan you'll get it.
Early Days-
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=7e9d47b3a7647737d2db6fb9a8902bdaLatter Days-
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=7e9d47b3a7647737d2db6fb9a8902bda
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2009, 12:00 by Clapyourhandssaywhhaatt »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 81   Go Up