Moment of the Week?

It's a secret! (waffles)
No peeking!
Hanners continuing to peek anyway.
The unmentionable DAAAAAANG
Pintsize's coma
"Damn, girl!"
Mister gentleman
First he was all :D, and then he was :), but soon he was :|, and finally he was :(
BOOBS!
Happy Arbor Day 2003!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011  (Read 232504 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT 2056-2060; Nov. 14-18, 2011
« Reply #650 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:31 »

FrozenPeas,

Thank you.  That was wonderful, both for the comic and on a more personal level. 

JWHouk, shame on you - go back and read it when you get a chance!

Oh, and my vote?  Well, I'm still a teenaged boy at heart. 

Yup. 

(.Y.)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #651 on: 19 Nov 2011, 08:33 »

Excellent post.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #652 on: 19 Nov 2011, 09:04 »

(a bunch of coherently-thought-out, well-stated, pertinent, insightful wisdom)

Er, Indeed.

Can we just lock the thread after that post? I don't think anything more needs to be said.

EcoReck

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #653 on: 19 Nov 2011, 09:37 »

I'm the only one who voted for Arbor Day?  :psyduck:

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.
« Reply #654 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:26 »

stuff

*blinks*

OK, that was a pretty damn insightful- and it certainly explains why I see so many people going from bad relationship to bad relationship and never seeming to break the cycle. Bears some pondering. Thank you.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #655 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:56 »

Man, I wonder if that's me ... Trying to muster up the energy to finish the ONE MORE  THING I had to finish before I could consider my 12-hour desk shift over (it was a newspaper job), and not being able to stomach any more coffee, I'd do the burst-of-anger thing. Later I saw it mentioned in an article on stress. Never made the mental link to addiction, though.
"Hi, my name is DSL and I'm an angerholic ..."
I did an illustration once for a business page article on workaholics which the Asst. Mangling Editor snidely called "self-portrait."
Used to think it was funny. Not so sure now. Thanks for something to think about, FrozenPeas.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #656 on: 19 Nov 2011, 16:33 »

The only thing worse than confetti is glitter. Fuck glitter. When I was nine years old, my favorite sweater was ruined because some asshole at school threw glitter on me while we were doing an art project. I tried everything. I shook it out, I washed it, I ran a vacuum hose all over it, I got one of those sticky roller thingies and just went to town on it, but it didn't matter. Every time I tried to wear it after that, it got glitter all over the rest of my clothes and made me all itchy. So I had to get rid of my favorite sweater.

Fuck. Glitter.
A million times this.  I was giving my friend a ride to work once, and when she grabbed something out of her purse, a bunch came out and it's still on my dashboard, weeks later.  You can only see it if you know it's there, mostly, but come on, that's my car!

A friend at one time sent me a birthday card; upon opening the envelope in my usual enthusiastic way (which tends towards just ripping the thing in half) I discovered it was quite the birthday surprise! -- The card and envelope was filled (and I mean filled) with green glitter. She probably used an entire bottle of it and when I ripped open the envelope it just EXPLODED in a shower of sparkle over me, my couch, my carpet and my cat. I looked like an extra from Twilight for three solid days.

That was six years ago and there is still glitter in my couch.
That stuff is in-sane.

FrozenPeas, wonderful post.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #657 on: 19 Nov 2011, 17:14 »

I predict the rest of the weekend will be spent complaining about glitter and/or complimenting FrozenPeas. 

By the way, for you newcomers, though his post count is low, every one of them has been a gem (unlike mine, which are done for laffs or are rushed and oversimplified).  Click on his profile and read them sometime. 

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #658 on: 19 Nov 2011, 17:17 »

You just wait until they perfect nano-glitter, where every particle is actually a non-linear crystal the size of the wavelength of  the light it's supposed to bend.
That shit will (literally) get under your skin.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #659 on: 19 Nov 2011, 17:28 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #660 on: 19 Nov 2011, 17:39 »

I read your posts, and all I can think of ... is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9rAOx20dk
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #661 on: 19 Nov 2011, 19:26 »

Don't send FrozenPeas any glitter.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts
« Reply #662 on: 19 Nov 2011, 20:48 »

I think what this past week of comics has shown to us is that Marten isn't just overtly mopey. Yes I think we can agree that his moping characteristics were quite obviously shown and pointed to but he did do something that made him momentarily happy even if he isn't quite dealing with it perfectly now that that momentary happiness has dispersed. It also gives us a rather good view of Marten becoming more self evident as per the last strip of the week. However the context of him acknowledging is idiocy can still be implied either way until we get further comics.

As it goes with Padma, I would side with the people on this forum that say that she is either not at all at fault here or only slightly at fault. Elliot talked to her on the phone and joked about how she should hook up with Marten, tone of voice would be very smart to try and imagine here when reading that specific comic. I know if I was in that specific situation and someone who had just confessed they loved me not a day or two ago had been talking to me on the phone had suggested that I would probably do what Padma had done. If your listening to the person and their tone is implying that they are joking about the idea especially if they had just confessed there would be a certain strain to their voice. I can't say I know if Elliot would be able to mask his emotions or not when speaking of it but his voice may have cracked or heightened or had a slight laugh to it which would be how someone in his situation may jokingly mention. This coupled on the fact that Padma does respect Elliot as a friend means she would more then likely say what she believed would not hurt his feelings and thus "Not wanting to get involved with someone" would be the optimal choice.

We can't say that either party is fully at fault or not though because a one night stand involves a certain amount of emotional detachment, yet we can also not assume that this is only going to be a one night stand. In 2058 Padma shows no reluctance to being close to Marten or holding his hand either, which to me shows that there is a certain amount of affection that she has for him even when they have both had the night to sober up. She also knows hes planning to call her the next day which by the vast majority of standards mean that another date may be set up.

Regardless of the outcome of the relationship whether it be just a one night stand or a relationship that Marten has to deal with when and if she does eventually move away I see this as a chance for Marten to grow as a character. Pintsize has the right idea wanting to celebrate the hook up because it's finally breaking the cycle of his sadness over the break up with Dora and thus grants an opportunity for growth and some sort of knowledge to be gained by him, even if it is just that he isn't completely undesirable to opposite sex.

Honestly only time will tell what will happen but I honestly can't wait to see what happens with Marten and Padma, as well as with Faye and Angus. 
"I have the weirdest friends."

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #663 on: 19 Nov 2011, 23:25 »

Nothing wrong with glitter, provided one isn't Hanners… and you're not putting it on your face.

One of the hardest forms of addiction to break is addiction to an emotional state. When you're addicted to stress and anger and depression, it doesn't matter what is happening in your life, you will find something to stress out and become angry about (which will then turn into depression).

Stress and anger give us a short boost of adrenaline, which gives us a temporary high, and make us feel like we're in control of situations that we're totally not--after all, we're caring about the situation, and that's like doing something, isn't it? And then depression kicks in once we realize just how powerless (or, if not powerless, ineffectual) we are--and, as a nice little button, often helps us embrace victimhood as an excuse for not making the changes in our lives that would end the cycle.

Eventually, we get habituated to existing in a particular mental state, and WILL find whatever way is available to keep us in that mental state. My theory is that half the people in the world (probably more) who follow either sports or politics only do so because they want an excuse to be outraged at any given time.

And here's where it comes back 'round to the comic: Marten lives in a headspace of uncertainty and a vague sense of mild depression. That's home to him; it's where he's comfortable, because he understands it. He doesn't enjoy it (who would?), but, speaking as someone wallowing in a crappy job, apartment, and city, I gotta tell you, it's hard to leave the devil you know for the angel you don't.

Marten isn't Al Bundy--he doesn't have to stay in a particular headspace because the series would be over without it, so I don't think that this is just a way of maintaining the status quo. Really, Jeph has never been a creator who embraces the status quo style of comic-writing; I think this is Jeph really playing out the character logically: Marten grabs things that he think will make him happy, but, because he isn't changing the way he approaches life, he ends up spoiling it for himself by hunting down whatever will ruin the experience for him. The fact that he recognizes that is a good thing, though... if he does something about it.

So, really, this was probably just a thing that happened on the way to other things and its immediacy is the only thing giving it real importance (although it is a nice little ticking time-bomb in his friendship with Elliot).

Two things: one, while I agree there is such a thing as addiction to emotional states, that's not quite what you're describing when you get to what you call Marten's 'headspace.' I've remarked on this before: people have a tendency to adhere to what's familiar, be it working well for them or not. Many a person will endure fairly horrible, stressful conditions rather than venture into a new situation, because the terrors of dealing with the new are, to him, worse. Change holds great fear for many people, and they will go to great lengths to avoid it. I wouldn't call it an addiction to that familiar state, though; it's fear, plain and simple. In other words, avoidance, rather than need (and yeah, the two can get intermixed, but that's a whole other ball of wax).

Dora, as I've said before, is a good example of a person who fears the unfamiliar; she'd rather move from failed relationship to failed relationship than try to change things about herself in order to make a relationship last: being in a relationship that won't last is what's familiar to her. When things didn't end with Marten the way she'd expected they would, Dora got afraid, and when that didn't work, she got angry, with the result being she finally had an excuse to end the relationship, which is the outcome she'd been expecting all along.

Marten, to me, doesn't seem in quite this place. He's not so much stuck in a pattern as he is directionless. I suppose that, too, could be considered a pattern, but we've yet to see Marten actively struggle not to have a direction, so to me, anyway, the jury's still out on that. On the other hand, were Marten 'addicted' to moping, or were that his familiar place, it seems far more likely to me he'd have turned down Dora and kept waiting for Faye, using one excuse after another to not move on. One could argue he picked Dora because he knew it couldn't last, but it doesn't seem to me he knew her well enough at the time to predict that.

So I think Marten is basically still in the 'down' after what happened with Dora, and, as I said, the 'fresh' little down of realizing Padma will soon be leaving pushed him back downslope a little. And yet, rather than wallowing in that, we see him trying to work his way back 'up' by examining the situation and explaining to himself that a little fun with Padma is a good thing.

Meanwhile, I love seeing Pot Faye sitting next to him, piping away about how 'black' Kettle Marten is (when he's mildly smudged at best). Until recently, Faye's a poster child for staying in one place, and she's fresh off another attack of it.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #664 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:19 »

<snip some very good points>

Marten, to me, doesn't seem in quite this place. He's not so much stuck in a pattern as he is directionless. I suppose that, too, could be considered a pattern, but we've yet to see Marten actively struggle not to have a direction, so to me, anyway, the jury's still out on that.

</snip>

A wise Canadian philosopher once said, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Of course, Marten doesn't care much for that philosopher's theories.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #665 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:50 »

I thought people liked Rush because they were "complicated and wanky".
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nathanyel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #666 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:20 »

I need 2060's panel 5 as a large, large print.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #667 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:01 »

One could argue he picked Dora because he knew it couldn't last
One could argue that Dora picked him.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #668 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:29 »

Interesting thing to watch during the run up to that arc was watching Faye alternately push Marten toward Dora (or test Marten to see if he was interested in Dora, I dunno, and then see how she reacted when Dora expressed her interest. Some nice subtlety there even in the early stages of Jeph's writing and art.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011, 01:43 by DSL »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #669 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:32 »

One could argue he picked Dora because he knew it couldn't last
One could argue that Dora picked him.
I can't imagine anyone arguing that she didn't.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #670 on: 20 Nov 2011, 13:16 »

The band, or the people?  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #671 on: 20 Nov 2011, 13:36 »

On the other hand, were Marten 'addicted' to moping, or were that his familiar place, it seems far more likely to me he'd have turned down Dora and kept waiting for Faye, using one excuse after another to not move on.

One possible argument for why Marten went with Dora was because his then-recent experience with Faye left him frustrated in many ways, especially sexually. Then here comes Dora, who he already admitted he was attracted to, offering release from that frustration. Naturally, being a horny hetero male, Marten jumped at the opportunity offered to him. Sure Dora delayed having sex with him for a brief time afterward, but it was a mere fraction of the time Faye did her "does-she-or-doesn't-she want me" dance.

I remember at the time Marten and Dora's relationship began there were a number of posters (many of whom no longer post) who thought Marten should have continued waiting for Faye. Of course, since Jeph didn't write/draw them that way, we'll never really know how that would've worked out for them.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #672 on: 20 Nov 2011, 19:13 »

The band, or the people?  :-D
A little from column A, a little from column B...

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #673 on: 20 Nov 2011, 20:16 »

On the other hand, were Marten 'addicted' to moping, or were that his familiar place, it seems far more likely to me he'd have turned down Dora and kept waiting for Faye, using one excuse after another to not move on.
One possible argument for why Marten went with Dora was because his then-recent experience with Faye left him frustrated in many ways, especially sexually. Then here comes Dora, who he already admitted he was attracted to, offering release from that frustration. Naturally, being a horny hetero male, Marten jumped at the opportunity offered to him. Sure Dora delayed having sex with him for a brief time afterward, but it was a mere fraction of the time Faye did her "does-she-or-doesn't-she want me" dance.
Or it could have been that he thought he was ready to try being happy. And for a time he was able to kick the habit. But when Dora dumped him he went right back to the misery bottle. Actually this concept of mood addiction could explain Dora too. She's addicted to feeling insecure and overshadowed. It lets her feel like she's the underdog and gets her mad so she can feel like she's fighting the world. She may not necessarily like being there but it's where she's comfortable. It's what she thinks gives her strength. Looking at in this way, her refusal to go to counseling looks a lot more like an alcoholic fighting against going to an AA meeting.
Quis pater tibi est?

von

« Reply #674 on: 20 Nov 2011, 20:35 »

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that the character I relate most to is Steve.  :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #675 on: 20 Nov 2011, 21:03 »

You're a douchebag, too? 

Damn it, now I'm hearing the old Dr. Pepper jingle...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #676 on: 20 Nov 2011, 21:58 »

I don't think tits would help.  He'd never leave the full-length mirror...

Steve is like a lot of guys, no doubt about that.  And he's been a pretty good friend to Marten.  But there are times when, being like most guys, he acts like a jerk.  It happens to all of us at some point, but I think most of us would like to think that we're at least a little  better / more self-aware / less assholey. 

Not that it's true...

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #677 on: 20 Nov 2011, 21:59 »

The stereotype, it bothers me, because it's one I've had to deal with my whole life and I may have been a little bit too defensive in my original post, but like I said, I just get riled up about it. And I personally don't think not having a college education and liberal views makes you a stupid hick. If that were the case, I couldn't have gone on my rant about how not everyone in the south is an uneducated hick. I'm a college drop-out and I'm moderate all the way down the board as far as my political views go.

OH
MY
GOD

Talk about fricking oversensitivity. Yeah, whatever- you could be from Rexburg or Utah or Chicago whatnot. But that's not the first place that comes to mind when it comes to overly large conservative populaces. No need to get your knickers in a twist about it.

There's no need to be such a freakin' jerk about it. I wasn't at all rude or anything. And you also took the last half of what I said completely out of context but quoting it without referencing what I was responding to.
I've spent my whole life having people automatically thinking I was stupid, racist, and a  bible thumper entirely because I'm from Alabama. Not because of anything I've ever said, but because of where I'm from. If other groups of people are allowed to get annoyed by stereotypes (all Asians are good at math and bad drivers, black people love fried chicken and watermelons, all Indians only work at conveniences stores... and I could go on), I don't see any reason I shouldn't be allowed to get annoyed when someone says "I'm sorry" because I tell them I'm from Alabama. I'm not stupid, I'm not racist, and I don't spend my days sitting on my back porch shooting BB guns at squirrels (although, if I did, I don't see why that would be a problem).

I was not at all rude and condescending in either of my other posts about this, it was just me trying to fight a stereotype. Someone has to, that's the only way things will ever freakin' change.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #678 on: 20 Nov 2011, 22:03 »

Oh and my moment of the week was definitely Padma agreeing with how amazing her boobs are. :-]

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #679 on: 20 Nov 2011, 22:19 »

@musicalsoul Hey, man, just be glad you're not from New Jersey.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #680 on: 20 Nov 2011, 22:29 »

@musicalsoul Hey, man, just be glad you're not from New Jersey.

Haha. Aw man, they (or you) have got it bad too. I bet Jersey Shore doesn't help either does it?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #681 on: 20 Nov 2011, 22:37 »

Well it's not too bad since I'm still in Jersey, so the people who live here can't shittalk Jersey without realizing they still live here and getting sad.  To answer your question, no, Jersey Shore doesn't help, but that's South Jersey, I'm from North Jersey.  A distinction that only exists to people in New Jersey.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #682 on: 20 Nov 2011, 23:06 »

Oh no, it's well known that North Jersey is a suburb of New York, whereas South Jersey is a suburb of Philly. 

:psyduck:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #683 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:35 »

This is true, but most people out of the Northeast would consider New Jersey such a small state that splitting it into two parts would seem unnecessary.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #684 on: 21 Nov 2011, 06:30 »

I hear you on the Jersey thing- I still get flack about being from NJ from anyone who knows even though my parents and I moved to NY when I was 5 but sometimes I have fun with it...my now-fiance said something a long time ago when we first started dating when someone with a Jersey license plate cut him off. He made a snarky comment like "nothing good ever comes from Jersey!" so I piped up "Well......I came from Jersey".

He shut up pretty quickly after that because I definitely don't fit the stereotype. 90% of my family still lives there so it was nice for him to meet them and realize that not everyone who still lives there is a clone of Snooki. But to this day he still gives me crap about being a Devils fan  :-P

(Also- if you've never seen the South Park "Jersey Thing" episode.....you must. It's hilarious.)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #685 on: 21 Nov 2011, 06:42 »

But.. but it's got that skinny part in the middle!  If it were a cookie, it'd be broken in two as soon as it was picked up! 

The geography of baked goods strikes again...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #686 on: 21 Nov 2011, 12:59 »

@The Little Cheese - Jersey accents bug me, and I've lived in New Jersey my whole life.  The funny thing is, nobody believes I'm from Jersey when I go out of state, and I'm glad, because while nobody says "Joisey", a lot of people don't know how to pronounce the short o sound (the say it like "aww", for words like coffee or dog, and it just drives me mad, even after hearing it for 24 years).  I rip on Jersey all the time, though, and I gotta say, Jersey drivers are pretty terrible.

I do love that episode, btw.  "Live from St. Louis, New Jersey!"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yarin

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #687 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:28 »

love that episode I'm originally from New Jersey to luckily I got out before the change came upon me
Your friendly neighborhood alien

Aww i wanted to explode.

I'm in my own private universe of porn right now
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up