THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Take from today's comic

Being a bio-droid WOULD be pretty awesome.
Hopefully not chunky soup.
People are indeed far worse than anything they create
I for one welcome our new waffle overlords

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2066-2070; Nov. 28-Dec. 2, 2011  (Read 83594 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
Re: WCDT 2066-2070; Nov. 28-Dec. 2, 2011
« Reply #200 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:43 »

I tend to think of the APC-Human relationship as kind of a step between pet-human and human-human. They are sold in stores like pets, but have more personal rights than pets. Also, wasn't there a comic where they mentioned an AI Equal Rights Amendment?

It was mentioned, then I do believe quickly dismissed.

Try this one instead. Also, the newspost following this one seems to sum up Jeph's take on the matter. Up in the air who owns Momo's chassis (Marigold bought it, but as a gift to Momo?) ... But the AI resident in the chassis belongs to Momo because it is
Momo.

Re: The poll: Why can't robots be waffles? What about robot waffles? Imagine the symbiotic relationship between a robot waffle and an AI toaster. And no, not a frakkin' toaster.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #201 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:55 »

If robots could be waffles, would they be delicious?
"It's not safe there."

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #202 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:58 »

Uh, all of those things were once considered normal, and those societies considered themselves civilised.

And so were leeches, holes in the head and the belief that a tall man in a carriage pulled the sun across the sky every day. Fuck relative morality, we're not living in 1576 anymore. I'm not going to dismiss thousands of years of societal progress just because some asshole living in a hut somewhere still thinks it's fine and dandy to sell off his daughter to an old fat guy.

I'm pretty sure moral relativism is the philosophy which states there is no objective good. I disagree with it, I think there is an objective good. I'm saying you can't conclude that robots aren't in some way sentient, and don't have feelings, just because people treat them like crap. It makes far more sense to conclude that since they look, act and smell like they have feelings, they have feelings. Western society denies plenty of basic privileges to people every day, it's not just a man-in-a-hut thing.

EDIT: Though I'm not entirely sure how they're meant to be treated since I don't know in what way they're different from humans.

EDIT EDIT: But they're most certainly more than toys!
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2011, 09:07 by NotAwesomeAnymore »

khendron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #203 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:06 »

Why is everyone accusing Clinton of being creepy when Hannelore did something quite similar in http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2028? Back then it was seen as cute. Or asking it another way, do you think Hanners was being almost as creepy back then as Clinton is now?

I can see Clinton and Marigold hitting it off.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #204 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:11 »

The difference is, Hanners and Momo are friends.
Also, Hanners can be very creepy sometimes herself... she has a sample of Marten's blood somewhere.  :-o

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #205 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:12 »

...also, that was kind of creepy.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #206 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:14 »

we're not living in 1576 anymore

Did anyone else immediately go look at http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1576

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #207 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:15 »

Yup

If your gonna use my trademarked yell, it's YUUUP!

I'm sorry, but have you paid royalties to the Gary Cooper estate?   :-D    ;)

*Sigh*

You'd think Clinton would have learned by now not to mess with anyone associated with Hanners.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

« Reply #208 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:27 »

I like Clinton. There's something about his earnestness, failure to learn American norms for personal space by his age, and belated recognition of his faux pas that's endearing. He just needs to start growing out of it, or his subsequent appearances will get stale. But then it'll be weird that characters keep being wildly off until Marten's group normalizes them.

You have come far young Padma-wan
Wait, what?  
Huh?  Who?
When? Where?
Why? How?
And there you go.
Yup
that shit don't make no sense
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
 :psyduck:
Screw your combo breaker, QUOOOOTE TUNNNNELLLL.

I wished there would be some kind of link between personal messages and the message they would refer to because honestly, I totally fail to manage that connection.

What does Jeph's tattoo say in 2066 ?
Good question, we'll have to wait another 55 years to find out !
To what are you referring? Also, dammit, I was gonna make that pun.

And Momo went bankai on Clinton.
Eh, it was barely a shikai, what with the socks still on and the close range.

Robots aren't people.

Setting aside our own world's drastic technical limitations in terms of AI, even in the QC world, if AnthroPCs were considered "people", then there would be quite a few instances where legal action would have been warranted- the very concept of the buying and selling of an AnthroPC, for starters, as we see in this comic where Momo thinks her "owner" wants to get rid of her and bursts into tears. I don't even have to mention the instance after instance of Pintsize being ripped apart, pummeled or dismembered, for some offense or another, with no repercussions to the owner at all.

Are these people or are these pets?
*sighs* We went over this when Momo got her new chassis, stop bringing it up.  So far as we know from the comic, you get an AI through a mutual contract. Either party can break it (which is why Momo was worried, she didn't want to lose her companion). The only purchasing we've seen is of chassis- once for Pintsize, once for Momo. Pintsize clearly has some Mr. Potato qualities to his chassis, and knowing him he probably gets off on being disassembled.

It's unsettling that there are people who can't envision a setting between fellow human and pet. Sentience isn't exactly binary (in before AI jokes, I mean there's more than 2 options).

Well, that probably was what most of his graduate studies were about. Doing a lot of research on human-APC interactions means he sees a lot of APC's.
He's studying armored personnel carriers?

Uh, all of those things were once considered normal, and those societies considered themselves civilised.

And so were leeches, holes in the head and the belief that a tall man in a carriage pulled the sun across the sky every day. Fuck relative morality, we're not living in 1576 anymore. I'm not going to dismiss thousands of years of societal progress just because some asshole living in a hut somewhere still thinks it's fine and dandy to sell off his daughter to an old fat guy.
Actually, we're using leaches again. They're very effective. And don't bring religions into this, religions can have weird stuff and still be viable. I believe there's one that's rather popular right now that entails eating the body and drinking the blood of their god. And wasn't the carriage itself the sun?

Your society can do stupid, stupid things and still be civilized, by both present and later standards. Matching morality is not required unless you're an imperialist looking for justifications. Romans had an empire built on slave labor, America fails to guarantee basic health care to all (which some already think is immoral and I'm pretty sure will be universally considered so in a 100 years or so.)

Fuck relative morality, we're not living in 1576 anymore. I'm not going to dismiss thousands of years of societal progress just because some asshole living in a hut somewhere still thinks it's fine and dandy to sell off his daughter to an old fat guy.

Oh wow, is that a platinum deluxe straw man? It's so lifelike!
Stop groping him!

Why is everyone accusing Clinton of being creepy when Hannelore did something quite similar in http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2028? Back then it was seen as cute. Or asking it another way, do you think Hanners was being almost as creepy back then as Clinton is now?

Hannelore already knew Momo, so the comparison is not effective.

Oh yay, another massive post full of quote responses, I thought I had kicked the habit.

Why do so many people care about the "while you were posting" message? Reposting it was never interesting (save for during particularly high activity times with 20 posts or something), and now it's just annoying. Somehow, during the the 5-30 minutes you were typing, someone else said something! Shocker! We get it. Stop it. /petpeeve

Warning - while you were reading 33 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.  Well, that's what I get for going to bed partway through typing I guess.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2011, 11:56 by Westrim »

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #209 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:38 »

7. Since Jeph has stated that AnthroPCs do have a measure of acknowledged sentience and a modicum of rights in the QC-verse, it is not unreasonable to treat them as "normal" (whatever that word means) people.  For our reality, it is a testament to Jeph's quality of writing that we naturally accept this :roll: .

8. Waffle 'bots &/or Waffle AnthroPCs would be an interesting market item.  Or at least a good Futurama robot gag.  (Waffle 'bot: You can bite my black-iron metal grilled ass! *clamp*)

9. @Throg...  You, and any others, are welcome to make use my posting-style, I do not enforce any of its patents ;) .  Of course, I would not mind any trademark acknowledgements...

10. @snubnose...  I think there would be a lot of difference between some "hurr-hurr" guy in a ratty trenchcoat feeling me up versus a curvy blonde in a red dress feeling me up, both of whom I have never met before or know at all.  The former I would knock down with a good idea of "why," the latter I would knock down with a feeling of "why?" and then do a detail check of my person and belongings.  Paranoid?  I would be, with the latter, even if I were single (again).

11. @khendron...  It was cute with Hanners because that was between friends.  There is a wide difference between Hannelore, who Momo knows well and trusts; and Clinton, who she just met and now has an idea of how creepy he can be as a first impression.  Would you find it non-creepy if some random stranger came up to you, reached into your pocket and started fiddling with your smart-phone because he heard its distinctive ring-tone function?  [Another reason to knock someone down, in my book.  gosh I have been awfully violent with this topic, I need to go to browse Cute Overload or something...]

12. @westrim... The "Warning - [X-number] new replies posted" forum-gag is the semi-current QC-forum meme (this was covered in previous threads).  Me, I embrace the gag as an excuse make up silly &/or random things to say.  [purple monkey dishwasher]

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #210 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:41 »

Warning - while you were reading 33 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.  Well, that's what I get for falling asleep partway through typing I guess.

And I was so disappointed that you made my point so much more articulately than I.

westrim

« Reply #211 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:18 »

10. @snubnose...  I think there would be a lot of difference between some "hurr-hurr" guy in a ratty trenchcoat feeling me up versus a curvy blonde in a red dress feeling me up, both of whom I have never met before or know at all.  The former I would knock down with a good idea of "why," the latter I would knock down with a feeling of "why?" and then do a detail check of my person and belongings.  Paranoid?  I would be, with the latter, even if I were single (again).

11. @khendron...  It was cute with Hanners because that was between friends.  There is a wide difference between Hannelore, who Momo knows well and trusts; and Clinton, who she just met and now has an idea of how creepy he can be as a first impression.  Would you find it non-creepy if some random stranger came up to you, reached into your pocket and started fiddling with your smart-phone because he heard its distinctive ring-tone function?  [Another reason to knock someone down, in my book.  gosh I have been awfully violent with this topic, I need to go to browse Cute Overload or something...]

12. @westrim... The "Warning - [X-number] new replies posted" forum-gag is the semi-current QC-forum meme (this was covered in previous threads).  Me, I embrace the gag as an excuse make up silly &/or random things to say.[/size]]
I wouldn't have a problem, since I keep nothing on my person- It's all in a zipped up laptop bag that I never lose sight of. So feel away, curvy blonde! Trenchcoat guy, go take a shower before you get near me.

The smartphone isn't in her pocket, it's on her arm, playing sweet jogging music to his ears. Still annoying, but different and less close to the crotch or breasts (if an AnthroPC would care about that).

I've seen it covered in previous threads- even when I don't post, I'm lurking in every WCT. It's not silly or random, like waffles and dickbrooms, it's just a repetition of a standard message with nothing to distinguish it. People are only repeating it because they see it done, not because they're amused that one person posted while they spent 15 minutes typing. It used to only be done when it was genuinely interesting (say, they wrote one sentence and in that time 8 posts happened, or to lampshade how long they spent typing), now it's done no matter the circumstances.

Warning - while you were reading 33 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. Well, that's what I get for falling asleep partway through typing I guess.
And I was so disappointed that you made my point so much more articulately than I.
Eh, around post #175 I had several reply tabs open and half finished, but realized  it was 4 AM and I need to SLEEP dammit, and the 3 hours I had gotten earlier wouldn't cut it.

slydon

• La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #212 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:23 »

Clinton's growing on me. Instead of most of the issues QC characters have that make them so damn endearing, his foot-in-mouth syndrome is much more realistic. (With mostly realistic results)
Everyone can relate to going through periods where you just can't seem to do anything right.

Also, Mariton?

westrim

« Reply #213 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:26 »

Also, Mariton?
Clintgold.

But they haven't even said one word to each other, so I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #214 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:45 »

No portmanteaus, please. 

Just use a slash!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #215 on: 30 Nov 2011, 12:57 »

There's a collection of material about what's known of the social and legal status of AnthroPCs on the wiki.

Pintsize getting punched is like Marten getting punched, not in itself evidence that he's considered property.

Jeph said in that one newspost that AnthroPCs are free to leave their relationships at any time. Of course that's only theoretical if they can't support themselves. Look at the trouble Momo had finding a job. On the other hand, they may still have the option of joining the global meta-AI.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts
« Reply #216 on: 30 Nov 2011, 14:17 »

I tend to think of the APC-Human relationship as kind of a step between pet-human and human-human. They are sold in stores like pets, but have more personal rights than pets. Also, wasn't there a comic where they mentioned an AI Equal Rights Amendment?

It was mentioned, then I do believe quickly dismissed.

We can also extract from the archives that it is in fact illegal to sell AnthroPCs online, then again how much of that is just Pintsize being a smartass is up to debate as well.
"I have the weirdest friends."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #217 on: 30 Nov 2011, 15:46 »

He will probably be able to recognize any new model chassis, and most of the significant historical ones since the introduction of Antrho-PCs. The same way a car nerd can identify the make/model/year of some exotic European sports car without ever having been in the presence of one.
I imagine that, just as there are glossy car mags in our world, in the QC-verse there are glossy magazines devoted to anthroPC's. Clinton probably has a stack of them in his bathroom...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #218 on: 30 Nov 2011, 16:03 »

Jeph said in that one newspost that AnthroPCs are free to leave their relationships at any time. Of course that's only theoretical if they can't support themselves. Look at the trouble Momo had finding a job.

Her job hunting was the same as that of a typical teenager looking for their first job; she had no experience and lacked credentials, limiting the positions  open to her.  Not to mention that we don't know what the economy is like in that area, so we don't really know how many jobs overall are available.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #219 on: 30 Nov 2011, 16:09 »

Looking at the Marigold/Momo interaction, (and from a previous poster) I had an insight that the chassis itself might be treated simply as an asset, and the AI itself is separate from that chassis.

This means that that asset could be used as collateral for a loan that the AI itself may not be a party to.

There are a lot of implications of this which I'd love to see Jeph explore and tell us about but I don't want to go too far down this road in the forum for fear that we'd trod on something Jeph's got planned.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #220 on: 30 Nov 2011, 16:39 »

we're not living in 1576 anymore

Did anyone else immediately go look at http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1576

I MUST ELIMINATE ALL WITNESSES OF MY CRIME
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Latro

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #221 on: 30 Nov 2011, 17:37 »

"Myomer Elasticity"...

/Battletech Geek
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.  --Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #222 on: 30 Nov 2011, 17:51 »

Re: Comic: I guess now they're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not sorry.  8-)
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #223 on: 30 Nov 2011, 20:00 »

Heh heh. Don't be.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

westrim

« Reply #224 on: 30 Nov 2011, 22:34 »

Re: Comic: I guess now they're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not sorry.  8-)
You will be. You... will... be.  :mrgreen:

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #225 on: 30 Nov 2011, 23:08 »

Actually, if I recall correctly, a fair amount of the posts regarding that comic were openly judging Hannelore for being insensitive/creepy/annoying/etc.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #226 on: 30 Nov 2011, 23:40 »

Err ... what ?

You dont understand such a basic law of human interaction ?!?!?!?

Hanners and Marigold KNOW EACH OTHER since quite some time, and they can consider themselves friends. Thus some more intimacy is allowed than with a random foreigner. Even more since they are both women (well, Marigold isnt really, but she considers herself one). Besides, IIRC there have been a lot of people in the forums who still objected.

Marigold hardly knows Clinton at all. He is far from any friend status. And he doesnt only touch her with a single finger (like Hanners), but instantly with both hands and no respect for Marigolds personal sphere at all.

How much intimacy is allowed with a person depends upon your status with that person. Only couples have full access to the others body.

Now you yourself managed to be creepy.
Carpe Diem

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #227 on: 01 Dec 2011, 00:05 »

You mean Momo. Marigold is Momo's owner.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Mr. Graves

« Reply #228 on: 01 Dec 2011, 00:38 »

Honestly, yeah, he's being creepy, but I can't feel too mad at Clinton because he's essentially forced to be the setup for the punchline here. In reality, he wouldn't have gotten halfway through his first sentence before there'd have been a hand pulled away or someone saying something, unless he's some kind of fast-talking ninja. That wouldn't have been nearly as funny for a comic though, so for the sake of humor he gets a little more time before the reaction spikes from disturbed silence to electrocution mode.

Looking back at the previous run, it seems like, again, it's only him being creepy that allows a punchline to exist. Take out the last panels and you essentially have an excitable Hanners'-Dad-Fanboy; the "OH MY GOD CAN I TOUCH YOU" line is pretty creepy, even if he's not intending it that way, but rather than stopping him right then and there, no matter what he has to say afterwards, he's given another nearly-full comic to rant before he then gets thrown out of the apartment as part of the humor delivery of that comic.

Not that this is a bad thing mind you. I'm just saying, it makes it harder for me to hate on Clinton since he's not intentionally malicious, and any unintentional creepiness on his part is essentially allowed to be played out for laughs.

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #229 on: 01 Dec 2011, 01:04 »

Excellent work, Mr. Graves; you deconstructed and commented on a comic without throwing in a TVTropes link. :evil:

westrim

« Reply #230 on: 01 Dec 2011, 01:06 »

Honestly, yeah, he's being creepy, but I can't feel too mad at Clinton because he's essentially forced to be the setup for the punchline here. In reality, he wouldn't have gotten halfway through his first sentence before there'd have been a hand pulled away or someone saying something, unless he's some kind of fast-talking ninja. That wouldn't have been nearly as funny for a comic though, so for the sake of humor he gets a little more time before the reaction spikes from disturbed silence to electrocution mode.

Looking back at the previous run, it seems like, again, it's only him being creepy that allows a punchline to exist. Take out the last panels and you essentially have an excitable Hanners'-Dad-Fanboy; the "OH MY GOD CAN I TOUCH YOU" line is pretty creepy, even if he's not intending it that way, but rather than stopping him right then and there, no matter what he has to say afterwards, he's given another nearly-full comic to rant before he then gets thrown out of the apartment as part of the humor delivery of that comic.

Not that this is a bad thing mind you. I'm just saying, it makes it harder for me to hate on Clinton since he's not intentionally malicious, and any unintentional creepiness on his part is essentially allowed to be played out for laughs.
Welcome, eloquent first time poster! Welcome to the forum of Dreams and Wonderment. You can park your broom over there, I'll take your coat, and we have some refreshments available from the service psyducks.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #231 on: 01 Dec 2011, 01:10 »

Excellent work, Mr. Graves; you deconstructed and commented on a comic without throwing in a TVTropes link. :evil:

I see what you did there.  :evil:

Edit:

New comic's up.

And it's deep, man, real deep, like whoa!
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2011, 03:36 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #232 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:05 »

I'm with ya, Hanners.

Yarin

« Reply #233 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:05 »

I do agree that fully-functioning AIs, if we do get them, probably won't all murder us in our sleep. Only about 1% of them.
Less than the percent if human murderers
Your friendly neighborhood alien

Aww i wanted to explode.

I'm in my own private universe of porn right now

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #234 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:06 »

I do believe Hanners has a point lol.  And as for Momo's alleged bullying of Pintsize, I think most of us can agree that he had it coming.  I mean, he is no angel either...

EDIT: Also, is anyone else disappointed that the fate of Clinton's other shoe is still up in the air, so to speak... :-D
"It's not safe there."

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #235 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:25 »

I, for one..

..would also like to apply for the post of soupifier-operator.

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #236 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:39 »

I've had this theory for a while now, that humans design robots to be as human as possible.
This means that they are NOT one day going to snap and stage a rebellion against human society (unless there's something fundamentally wrong with the way they are treated, and from Momo's comments they do seem to be fairly well treated right now), for the very reason that that's not what a human would do. Sure, there might be some psycho robots (call it an error in their programming), but I think we can safely assume that Hannerdad is a genius, and he wouldn't accidentally construct millions and millions of robots which could accidentally flip into kill all humans mode at the drop of a hat. I really don't think that that's how it works.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #237 on: 01 Dec 2011, 04:41 »

Quote from: Momo
There is still war because we are not all powerful.

... says the sentient, sapient being whose first act upon gaining a new body was to beat the pulp out of something smaller and weaker than herself  :psyduck:
She's right, though.  If AIs were all powerful, there wouldn't be war because there would be nobody left to do the fighting.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #238 on: 01 Dec 2011, 05:00 »

Momo seems to have mastered sarcasm, not sure if Marigold's simply playing the straightwoman to the joke, but I'm very sure that Clinton didn't even recognize what's going on.

And Hanners is still drawn to be very cute.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #239 on: 01 Dec 2011, 05:03 »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #240 on: 01 Dec 2011, 05:55 »

I have no idea if this will work...

Just hit play on the page.  It's a short sci-fi story (about 5 minutes) that came to mind while reading today's comic and this thread...

http://www.studio360.org/2011/nov/04/theyre-made-out-of-meat/#

Yarin

« Reply #241 on: 01 Dec 2011, 06:04 »

I love they're made out meat great story yay

Aww i wanted to explode.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #242 on: 01 Dec 2011, 06:07 »

Re: The poll: Why can't robots be waffles? What about robot waffles? Imagine the symbiotic relationship between a robot waffle and an AI toaster. And no, not a frakkin' toaster.

This took me way too long to find...

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #243 on: 01 Dec 2011, 06:25 »

Dunno why, but this was the funniest QC strip in a while.  The utter, utter depths of nerd-dom -- the light touch in filling some of the in-world aspects of the QC universe -- Hanners, for once, as the voice of reason. 

About pairing Clinton/Marigold: They have, at least, the same level of geek-cred -- but I highly doubt Jeph is gonna pair them off. It'd be funny, though: like a Sheldon/Amy vibe from Big Bang Theory, without 90% of the behavioral tics.

Hmf. Just how did Clinton lose his hand, anyway? It's not in the archives, is it?
SQUEEZE BOX

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #244 on: 01 Dec 2011, 06:35 »

I, for one..

..would also like to apply for the post of soupifier-operator.

Good boy. Didn't go "there".
Just another Joe like 46

Yarin

« Reply #245 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:11 »

It'd be funny, though: like a Sheldon/Amy vibe from Big Bang Theory, without 90% of the behavioral tics.

i always thought that hanners would pair well with sheldon now i just need to get rid of amy  :evil:

Aww i wanted to explode.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #246 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:23 »

<attempted shipping snip>

Hmf. Just how did Clinton lose his hand, anyway? It's not in the archives, is it?

No. We never found out how he lost it - just how his hand actually works.
Just another Joe like 46

Yarin

« Reply #247 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:31 »

« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2011, 08:26 by Yarin »

Aww i wanted to explode.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food
« Reply #248 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:35 »

<attempted shipping snip>

No. We never found out how he lost it - just how his hand actually works.

Oh, OK.  

BTW I am NOT shipping those two, or anyone. Jeph is a savvy enough writer to let things unfold naturally and in-character: and as it stands now, neither Clinton nor Marigold seem like they'd be able to start a relationship with anyone.

SQUEEZE BOX

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #249 on: 01 Dec 2011, 07:38 »

Also, Clinton is hella gross.

I am not even being sarcastic or anything, just naw. Clinton = NAW.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up