THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yes, it is here: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Clinton describes AI emergence over burgers.
- 0 (0%)
S'not that incredible.
- 0 (0%)
We've been dreaming of that stuff for over 100 years!
- 0 (0%)
Whoa, I better STOP and CONSIDER the deep PHILOSOPHICAL IMPLICATIONS!
- 1 (1%)
"Innovation Fatigue"
- 1 (1%)
But that leads to COMPLACENCY!
- 0 (0%)
You can look at the stars and say "they sure are pretty"...
- 0 (0%)
...not if you want to GET to them someday.
- 2 (2%)
Years of therapy to not have a panic attack.
- 0 (0%)
Applied Robotics centerfold!
- 5 (4.9%)
Okay, you know what, I'm just gonna play this friends-style.
- 0 (0%)
Way to use the ol' willpower, Marten!
- 1 (1%)
C'mere. (WELP)
- 16 (15.7%)
SweetTits Cameo!
- 6 (5.9%)
I said, "You're Trouble."
- 0 (0%)
I'm in trouble.
- 14 (13.7%)
My grandma's doing okay... stick around a few weeks longer?
- 7 (6.9%)
GOLD MEDALIST!
- 1 (1%)
GRAMMY WINNER!
- 1 (1%)
FIRST MAN TO MARS!
- 5 (4.9%)
TIME MAN OF TEH YEAR!
- 9 (8.8%)
"Yeah, that'd be pretty cool."
- 33 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2071-75 (Dec. 5-9, 2011)  (Read 121719 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT 2071-75 (Dec. 5-9, 2011)
« Reply #150 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:11 »

Quentin is 100% right. 

I know you mean "Clinton", but it took me a minute.  Using a talk-to-text program?  I have one - they can be damned annoying at times! 
Ha, I just read the first two books of the Magician Trilogy, and the protagonist is named Quentin, so I didn't even realize that until Carl pointed it out.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #151 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:31 »

Since it would be zero effort for it to solve, I wonder why no one has asked it "hey, how do we fix it so that everyone has access to effectively unlimited energy forever?"
Because we know the answer already. You can't because it would would breach the laws of thermodynamics...  :-D
And we obey those in this house?

That said, there are values for energy availability that lie between "have to pay for it" and "fuck thermodynamics!" and some of those values probably also meet most reasonable criteria for "effectively unlimited" too.

Yes, this.

There are a lot of things that are internally inconsistent in stories like this one (or Shortpacked!, or any number of other universes) where some GIANT CHANGE has happened to civilization, and conveniently no one asks questions about things that would change the face of life on the planet for nearly every human being.

I'm not really complaining about QC -- specifically because Jeph actually IS addressing things, slowly, thoughtfully.  But these questions are still there waving at us in the background.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #152 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:16 »

I love the Watson option in the poll. I'm going to be telling the joke to people tomorrow. :lol:

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #153 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:41 »

I liiked it too, but it's kind of a pity because I would have liked to know what people really think when they look up at the stars (as opposed to what they thought was the funniest option in the poll).

Possibly a bit late, but my reading (at least one of my readings) of the latest comic is that Marigold is trying to draw a line in the sand between; on the one hand, being interested in the distance to the stars and occasionally discussing it; and on the other, thinking about it every single time you look up. "It's possible to look up at them without thinking about how far away they are" can mean that some times you do, but most times you don't. It's the difference between interest and obsession.

Or maybe, to be fairer to Clinton (at the risk of being too clear cut) - what you think when you look up at the starts could illustrate the difference between the classical and romantic viewpoints of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. And there is room in the universe for both viewpoints. I like that about the comic - it is really putting both of them up for discussion. And it's made for an interesting WCDT.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #154 on: 06 Dec 2011, 18:30 »

On a more basic level, looks to me as if Marigold's enjoying a little of the "OK, here's a nerdier nerd than me; it's my turn to do some rejecting!"  Been there, both sides, not proud. The fun doesn't last as long as you'd think going in.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #155 on: 06 Dec 2011, 18:40 »

Most days, I don't think about it... but trust me, I'm quite aware that we live in an age of wonders.
People talk about the internet and space exploration, and those are amazing things, but consider what's closer to home:
I can get up, from this very comfortable chair made mostly of various synthetic polymers that didn't exist a hundred years ago, and go into the bathroom - which is indoors, sanitary, requires no emptying of chamberpots, and has faucets and a showerhead which produce effectively unlimited amounts of water at whatever temperature I desire.
Or I can go into the kitchen, with another ever-flowing faucet and a collection of magic boxes.  One magic box keeps things cool or freezing cold without a regular supply of ice blocks.  Another uses jets of water to wash my dishes for me.  Another is a kind of oven that cooks things from the outside with invisible heat.  And finally there's the stove and oven, which requires no flame nor fuel, heats quickly to any temperature I require (up to five different temperatures for the top burners and oven), will stay there without varying for minutes or hours, and doesn't require me to shovel out any ashes.
The dishes in my cupboards are china finer and more uniform than any king or emperor once possessed, glass that's quite hard to shatter, and more of those impossible molded plastics both opaque and clear.  The foodstuffs are more varied than most of those kings could have dreamed of, including fruits that are out of season but delivered fresh (and affordably) from the other side of the planet.

Freakin' MAGIC.

Cornan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #156 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:29 »

I want to take a quick moment to thank Jeph for this week's set of strips (just in case he pops in here again). In college I got my degree in Philosophy with a minor in Computer Science. There isn't a whole lot of fiction that caters directly to me but this week has been pretty fun. ;)

As for looking at the stars, my main thought is "Why aren't we THERE yet?!"

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #157 on: 06 Dec 2011, 21:04 »

Most days, I don't think about it... but trust me, I'm quite aware that we live in an age of wonders.
People talk about the internet and space exploration, and those are amazing things, but consider what's closer to home:
I can get up, from this very comfortable chair made mostly of various synthetic polymers that didn't exist a hundred years ago, and go into the bathroom - which is indoors, sanitary, requires no emptying of chamberpots, and has faucets and a showerhead which produce effectively unlimited amounts of water at whatever temperature I desire.
Or I can go into the kitchen, with another ever-flowing faucet and a collection of magic boxes.  One magic box keeps things cool or freezing cold without a regular supply of ice blocks.  Another uses jets of water to wash my dishes for me.  Another is a kind of oven that cooks things from the outside with invisible heat.  And finally there's the stove and oven, which requires no flame nor fuel, heats quickly to any temperature I require (up to five different temperatures for the top burners and oven), will stay there without varying for minutes or hours, and doesn't require me to shovel out any ashes.
The dishes in my cupboards are china finer and more uniform than any king or emperor once possessed, glass that's quite hard to shatter, and more of those impossible molded plastics both opaque and clear.  The foodstuffs are more varied than most of those kings could have dreamed of, including fruits that are out of season but delivered fresh (and affordably) from the other side of the planet.

Freakin' MAGIC.

this post is awesome
And that magic box that cooks food with invisible heat ... I still moosh my face up to the front window and watch food magically heat up and expand in mere moments with the same kind of awe that I did as a kid.
...also I like watching cheese melt, idky
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.
« Reply #158 on: 06 Dec 2011, 21:55 »

I had to pick the Watson option; not just because it was damn funny, but because when you think about it, there is an underlying practicality to it.

Why am I looking at the stars? Is it because I have the luxury of time to do so and marvel at them or coldly analyze them, or is it because I am struggling to get by and unexpectedly bereft of my shelter?

Sometimes it is not the "when" that is important- it is the "why".

NotsoAverageJoe

• Plantmonster
« Reply #159 on: 06 Dec 2011, 22:02 »

Oh- and I agree with Clinton. Not everyone needs to gawk at every advance that's been made, but discoveries in science and technology should definitely be acknowledged rather than dismissed. Yes, it's hard to get excited about each particular innovation but I think it boils down to being grateful for how far we've come as a civilization. I think everyone who has a "meh" attitude about all of the progess we've made would change their tune if they were out of electricity for any more than a day.

depends on your measure of progress.

if you're talking scientific progress... sure, we're more advanced than past civilizations (although people might be surprised at how many things we use today aren't that very different from what the ancient romans and sumerians and such had available to them).  

but hell, a few hundred years ago science was absolutely positive that the earth was the center of the universe, and less than a century ago eugenics and social darwinism were accepted scientific theories.  its hard to get excited about alot that develops from science when you consider that what you accepted as law today may be proven completely false tomorrow.

if you're talking about societal progress?  hrm... dunno bout that at all.  base human nature isn't all that different than it was several thousand years ago at the dawn of civilization.

maybe im just a cynical fuck (and just getting off work when reading this probably doesn't help lol), but yea, there ya go.

NotsoAverageJoe

• Plantmonster
« Reply #160 on: 06 Dec 2011, 22:10 »

On a more basic level, looks to me as if Marigold's enjoying a little of the "OK, here's a nerdier nerd than me; it's my turn to do some rejecting!"  Been there, both sides, not proud. The fun doesn't last as long as you'd think going in.

heh, i took it was she was getting annoyed with him.  she's not the most self-aware person ever... doubt she'd see the irony in her dismissal of someone with slightly more nerdy and anti-social tendencies.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #161 on: 06 Dec 2011, 23:58 »

Since it would be zero effort for it to solve, I wonder why no one has asked it "hey, how do we fix it so that everyone has access to effectively unlimited energy forever?"

Answer 1: it's only transhuman, not omniscient.

Answer 2: they had to give up on unlimited energy after the first bored teenager boiled the oceans.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #162 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:09 »

The Singularity Has Already Occurred.
I still don't like this. Many an AI in many a movie has done terrible things to humanity with the best intentions... so what if it "likes" us? Could just as well lead to overprotective 1984-ism. oO

heh, i took it was she was getting annoyed with him.  she's not the most self-aware person ever... doubt she'd see the irony in her dismissal of someone with slightly more nerdy and anti-social tendencies.
From what I can tell, Marigold STILL is more anti-social and "isolated" than Clinton. She may just be trying to stay a few feet above him. Figuratively.

edit:
I'll take "Hi, dad!" as a reference to Disney's Lion King and vote on it!
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #163 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:20 »

COMIC:

Just enjoy having a good time, Marten!

Good to see Sweet-tits keeping an eye on things as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #164 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:26 »

Marten:

Two things.

1. STFU and enjoy it. Hot lady baker makeouts.
2. Hold out for a deus ex machina.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #165 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:31 »

Why does this situation seem so familiar...

Yeah, I know, Marten's not seeing anyone else so his motivation for not wanting things to get out of control is different, but it does have a similar ring.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #166 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:35 »

Or like Faye, thinking she was going to be cool and aloof, and falling back into bed with Sven.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #167 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:38 »

"WELP" is officially one of my favorite moments of QC.

Seems to me this is usually how stuff like this goes. You just hang out, try to be nice, relaxed and a good guy and then WELP you're stuck in a threesome. WELP!

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #168 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:40 »

Why does this situation seem so familiar...

Yeah, I got exactly that impression too, although in fairness to Marten, he tried a lot more than Sven, and it seems like it almost worked...

Hey wait a minute!
When Padma first announced that she was leaving, I hadn't even started my HSC exams! Now it's nearly a whole month after I've finished them, and Padma is still here!

QC time... :psyduck:

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #169 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:46 »

At this point Marten should just resign himself to being along for the ride. Knowing his spinal fortitude, Padma get what Padma want. WELP.

He better not start bemoaning his luck later either. I'd kill for his luck right now.

QC time... :psyduck:

It's like relativistic time dilation except you can't come back to Earth and meet your grandchildrens' grandchildren.
Quis pater tibi est?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #170 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:49 »

but hell, a few hundred years ago science was absolutely positive that the earth was the center of the universe, and less than a century ago eugenics and social darwinism were accepted scientific theories.  its hard to get excited about alot that develops from science when you consider that what you accepted as law today may be proven completely false tomorrow.

I have to object to the way you lump all "sciences" together.

In mathematics, the truths and theories are eternally valid. The math that was valid 500 years ago is still true. The scope and volume of mathematical knowledge continues to grow.

In physics, the basic theory is sorta stable, but because physics has to seek explanations to new observations, the core is occasionally in need of an update. Sometimes (like in the case of relativity or quantum mechanics) the update leads to dramatic changes in our world view - and later also to new technology.

I probably should not say much about life sciences. I should certainly not say anything about humanities or social sciences, because then I would need to define what is worthy of the word "science". I would rather not do that, because all subjects of study are helping us one way or another. Some subjects just have less chance of ever analyzing things from the core up. IOW reductionism fails at some point due to complexity.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #171 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:50 »

If she were looking at me with that look in her eyes, and touching my chest and uttering that cute little "c'mere," I don't think I'd be able to resist either :3

Nothing says they can't talk after the lovin'
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #172 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:53 »

heh, i took it was she was getting annoyed with him.  she's not the most self-aware person ever... doubt she'd see the irony in her dismissal of someone with slightly more nerdy and anti-social tendencies.

She is kinda new at this epiphany thing.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #173 on: 07 Dec 2011, 00:56 »

At this point Marten should just resign himself to being along for the ride. Knowing his spinal fortitude, Padma get what Padma want. WELP.

He better not start bemoaning his luck later either. I'd kill for his luck right now.

Now that it is apparent that this is more than just a one time thing, I think Marten should ask Padma what this means to her, and, if he's afraid he'll get attached and be hurt when she leaves, say it shouldn't continue.

He should say something, and he should say something before things go too much further. Otherwise, any emotional damage that's results from this should be considered self-inflicted.

On the other hand, he may already have strong enough feelings that when she leaves he's going to crash no matter what happens until then. If that's the case, he should still talk about what their doing, but keep going and enjoy the time they have.

Of course all of that would require that they both be open and honest about their feelings, and that's just crazy!  :psyduck:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #174 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:03 »

I think we should heed our own advice and just enjoy the ride. I actually feel for Marten's libido at the moment.

Padma's thought process also seems to become clearer and clearer. Having fun? Go with it! Not having fun? Make it fun!

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.
« Reply #175 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:13 »

Ah yes, ye olde "the fastest way out is also the fastest way in" conundrum.....  :psyduck:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #176 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:25 »

Did Jeph really quote the Doobie Brothers? More great drawing, and Padma looks very cute; I don't think Marten stands a chance. I wonder who chose the restaurant though? I mean, napkin dispensers and plastic ketchup and mustard squeeze-bottles on the table? Really classy!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #177 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:30 »

I have to object to the bullshit and lies here presented as fact; the first people to figure out that the Earth wasn't the centre of the universe, then write that down, were the Babylonians a couple thousand years ago. The ancient Greeks figured out the diameter of the spherical Earth to within a few hundred feet two thousand years ago. Also, neither eugenics nor social Darwinism are scientific theories, much less "accepted" ones; they make no observations, propose no explanations and accept no tests, instead making assumptions and proceeding as if those are true regardless of what happens next. And please don't confuse social Darwinism with anything C. Darwin himself ever espoused; he despised the idea as a perversion of his discovery for political ends.

Everything you've described as bing accepted by science is in fact motivated mostly by the greed and ignorance of he powerful variously ignoring, locking up/killing, and manipulating science and scientists for their own ends, primarily acquiring or retaining money and power.
Further, everything that you've described as being accepted as law only to be discovered to be entirely false was based not in any scientific understanding but on storied assumptions accepted without investigation. Like how 'everyone knew' dinosaurs were cold blooded for a century or so; people 'knew' this based on dinosaurs resembling lizards, rather than on an investigation into the comparative anatomy of dinosaur bones with bird, lizard, and mammal bones. As soon as someone said "wait, no-one actually checked this, did they?" and actually performed the relevant investigations, the old 'knowledge' gained through assumption rather than investigation was discarded.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #178 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:52 »

The third panel looks like they're in the usual bar. I think that could be Wil on the right. So yeah, pub grub. They look like they're just having drinks though.

*Edit
Don't know my right from my left. Derp.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #179 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:53 »

Marten should just relax and enjoy the ride. Of course, then he wouldn't be the Marten we know and want to Gibbs-slap.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #180 on: 07 Dec 2011, 01:58 »

Omigosh

They are so cute together O.o

that is all.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #181 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:01 »

Holy shit! Martin's wearing plaid!

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #182 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:04 »

So he has another plaid shirt - he did wear one just a few strips ago, you know: 2062
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #183 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:19 »

This is different. This isn't black/white plaid. This is blue plaid!

inb4: This is Sparta!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #184 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:31 »

About the comic: I have no clue what Padma thinks of Marten right now. But its nice to see Marten apparently doesnt know either. So at least I'm not the only guy who finds women confusing. :-D It would be SO useful to be able to read a womans mind (just the one you're interested in and just what she thinks about / wants from you).

Hurr. The Poll: Cant answer todays poll, because when I look at the stars, I actually think "DAMMIT I WANT A STAR TREK STYLE SPACESHIP AND FLY THERE DAMMIT !" :-)

Though you would probably have to fly to a hella lot of star systems until you find another inhabited planet. Still, it would be awesome to be able to do it. 8-)

The question of flying to the moon again or flying to Mars is just if there is enough money available for it.
These days its more like "Is there ANY money available for it / at all?" ... °O
It would be extremely expensive, thus you would need a LOT of money.

Then again, people here compare it to how expensive a war is, or saving your banks in the financial crisis ... compared to that, its dirt cheap. I would guess we could easily have a full mars colony with hundreds or even thousands of people there full time with the money wasted on wars worldwide instead spent on developing and building the mars project.

I'm slightly confused by the past few comics - remind me... why are they hanging out with Clinton?

I have nothing against the guy, he's well-meaning enough, I just don't know how we made such a rapid transition from "augh creeper fill him with electric" to "hey man lets go get lunch".
Agreed.

[...] And please don't confuse social Darwinism with anything C. Darwin himself ever espoused; he despised the idea as a perversion of his discovery for political ends. [...]
Again - Agreed !

Holy shit! Martin's wearing plaid!
Sigh ! ... there is no "Martin" in this strip.
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #185 on: 07 Dec 2011, 02:42 »

Sigh ! ... there is no "Martin" in this strip.

But you can see from that poster's history that he knows that perfectly well; so just a slip, or interference from a spell checker (as recently discussed)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #186 on: 07 Dec 2011, 03:18 »

Nice play on the clothes' colors here, btw. Blue and yellow naturally "match". Also, right now, Marten is kinda "blue" and needs cheering up ("sunny yellow").

edit:
"WELP" freudian for "HELP"? Anyone else misread that on the first try?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #187 on: 07 Dec 2011, 03:54 »

I remember some puzzlement (in the forum, as well as my own) when Jeph first used "welp" for "well" - but it seems an established usage now; I've seen it in other cartoons, and it appears in Scott Pilgrim, for instance.  But I still wouldn't find it natural to say myself.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #188 on: 07 Dec 2011, 03:57 »

I remember "WELP" confusing me in this comic.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #189 on: 07 Dec 2011, 04:05 »

Nice to see Marten using some willpower for once hahahaha... But sadly that doesn't work when a woman does what Padma did in the fourth panel.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #190 on: 07 Dec 2011, 04:22 »

It certainly doesn't work in those circumstances, and why would you want it to?

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #191 on: 07 Dec 2011, 04:38 »

I remember "WELP" confusing me in this comic.
Welp confuses me because I think of the word in connection with dogs. No, that is whelp...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #192 on: 07 Dec 2011, 04:41 »

It certainly doesn't work in those circumstances, and why would you want it to?

Welp (haha :-D), it was Marten's intention to protect himself of future emotional harm due to Padma leaving, but yea, the whole "cīmere" thing basically undermines even the best efforts. God knows itīd undermine mine.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #193 on: 07 Dec 2011, 04:51 »

No, that is whelp...

But my dictionary tells me it is welp in Dutch.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #194 on: 07 Dec 2011, 05:11 »

And Welpe in German.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #195 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:06 »

COMIC:

Just enjoy having a good time, Marten!

Good to see Sweet-tits keeping an eye on things as well.

Is she starting to appear at more regular intervals?  At this rate by this time in January she'll be joining the cast, probably being outed as Pizza Girl(the blonde hair is just a wig).  Of course I'd like to see Renee get some more screen time.  We're really past due for her to finally meet Faye.

EcoReck

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #196 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:20 »

On Thursday: Elliot appears

NotsoAverageJoe

• Plantmonster
« Reply #197 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:38 »

In mathematics, the truths and theories are eternally valid. The math that was valid 500 years ago is still true. The scope and volume of mathematical knowledge continues to grow.

In physics, the basic theory is sorta stable, but because physics has to seek explanations to new observations, the core is occasionally in need of an update. Sometimes (like in the case of relativity or quantum mechanics) the update leads to dramatic changes in our world view - and later also to new technology.

I probably should not say much about life sciences. I should certainly not say anything about humanities or social sciences, because then I would need to define what is worthy of the word "science". I would rather not do that, because all subjects of study are helping us one way or another. Some subjects just have less chance of ever analyzing things from the core up. IOW reductionism fails at some point due to complexity.

oversimplified on purpose.  ive noticed that these arguments usually don't look at individual fields of study and typically people treat all fields of science equally when they make their arguments.  kinda glad there are folks around here that understand that even though some aspects of science are infallible, others most certainly are not.

edit: apparently some people can't figure out how to remain objective and unemotional when they read something... to another poster, there's a difference between a few people knowing something, and it being accepted science.  yes, the truth about the shape of the earth may have been known thousands of years ago by the sumerians, but that just proves my point.  it was accepted, then it was not, now it is again.  do you really feel comfortable putting all your faith in something that can change on a whim due to some zealot talking out his ass one day?  yes yes, the truth itself won't change, but the perception of it will, which in turn will affect all future outcomes based on that particular perception of said truth... in fact isn't there a law in quantum mechanics that states that the mere act of observation will alter the outcome?  in a sense that law can be applied on a larger scale due to the way each individual person views the universe at any given time.

perception is reality, and a healthy bit of skepticism is all im advocating.

now... COMIC.

almost feel bad for Marten, Padma's messing with his head pretty bad (even if she doesn't realize it).
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2011, 07:01 by NotsoAverageJoe »

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #198 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:46 »

Well, science isn't a thing,  anyway.
It's a process and a method of getting closer to the truth.
To do things scientifically means that you go thru the process to prove, disprove, or refine knowledge.
And you need to accept that others will do the same to your findings. You must accept, and even embrace, that your conclusions will be tested, and may be proven wrong.

That's a main difference between pseudo-science/faith and science. Science is willing to be proven wrong if/when a better explanation comes along.
/currently reading Sagan and Shermer

TheEvilDog

« Reply #199 on: 07 Dec 2011, 06:56 »

Ah well Marten, you can't win them all XD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up