THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 10:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buttermilk and other home-made ingredients  (Read 6940 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Buttermilk and other home-made ingredients
« on: 08 Dec 2011, 10:35 »

Hello,

it's been a while. I've been busy making cultured butter! In addition to almost 400g of butter I have about 6 dl of tangy, lecithin-y buttermilk goodness.

Alas, buttermilk doesn't feature in Swedish cooking and baking.

So, I ask you, the American people:

What can/should I cook or bake with buttermilk? I'm looking for things that make excellent use of this strange ingredient. Things that can't be made properly without it. Things that taste great because of it. Things that can display its tangy emulsifying powers.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011, 07:21 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
Re: What can you do with buttermilk?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2011, 10:42 »

Hmm I dunno if this helps but I once made pancakes with coconut-milk and they turned out extra floofy and delicious.

Buttermilk is even creamier so they might get even better using it.

In fact I´m headed to the grocery store right now to buy some god damn buttermilk.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2011, 10:42 »

http://www.pinkofperfection.com/2009/10/ultimate-buttermilk-recipe-repository/

cooking is uncharted water for me, but there are comments here about using the recipes.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2011, 11:13 »

My wife uses buttermilk making muffins.  I'll look out the recipe later, if I remember.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2011, 11:13 »

We use it in cornbread.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2011, 11:58 »

Pancakes, cornbread, biscuits, fried chicken!

I loooove me some buttermilk pancakes... so much so that I can't stand when they're made with plain milk haha. It's just not the same.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 08 Dec 2011, 12:08 »

Yeah P, if you're not using it for fried chicken, you're not doing it right.

(also PANCAAAAAAAKES. Also welcome back, guy!)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #7 on: 08 Dec 2011, 12:15 »

I cook with buttermilk all the time. (though it is store bought not homemade)  
Pancakes or Waffles:

(these ones have raspberries)

Biscuits:

So good.  

I can give you my recipes if you are interested.  
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:03 »

I think they already said they're interested! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:23 »

I like the Betty Crocker buttermilk pancakes recipe... the one from like the 50s cookbook. I'm pretty sure this is the right one, I found it online since I don't have my cookbook with me at work, of course.

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. oil
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat egg: add remaining ingredients in order listed and beat with rotary beater until smooth. Grease preheated griddle. Test griddle with a few drops of water. If bubbles skitter around it is just right. Pour batter onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes as as they are puffed and full of bubbles but before bubbles break. Bake other side until golden brown.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 08 Dec 2011, 14:57 »

BISCUITS. Delicious flaky goodness.

Also yes, pancakes, waffles, cornbread and fried chicken.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: 08 Dec 2011, 17:46 »

Here's the cornbread recipe. It's pretty dense & not too sweet, good with chili or something like that.

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups nonfat buttermilk (or combine 1 1/2 cups skim milk and 1 t vinegar)
3 T melted butter or oil
1 whole egg
2 egg whites

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Add wet to dry. Bake in sprayed pan 30-45 minutes. (My notes do not include oven temp, but probably 350F.)
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Jam

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 08 Dec 2011, 17:48 »

Other than what's already been said I find its great to use in cakes (yellow and chocolate). . . Now I want to make a cake

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #13 on: 09 Dec 2011, 07:13 »

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

The first thing I'll try are buttermilk biscuits. I hesitated until I realised American biscuits aren't the same as British biscuits but rather like scones--which is more or less exactly what I was looking for to go with the butter, the apple butter, the clotted cream and the diabetes. Next up either cornbread or something sweet :)

Someone on another forum provided this recipe:

Quote from: evenstar;102673
I use it in an apple oven-pancake. So delicious! I'll see if I can get you the recipe.  

Edit: Here it is:

3 tablespoons butter or margarine                                          

Apple mixture:                                                      

4 medium cooking apples, peeled, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
1/4 cup packed brown sugar                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Batter:

1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons oil or melted butter                                                                                      
1/4 cup granulated sugar                                                                                                                
1 cup buttermilk                                                                                              
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla                                                                                                  
2 eggs                                                                                                                                                                      1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar

Maple-flavored syrup, if desired

• Heat  oven to 450°F. In oven, melt 3 tblsp. butter in 10-inch ovenproof or cast-iron  skillet, about 2 minutes. Add apples, brown sugar and cinnamon; toss to  coat apples. (Pan will be very hot.) Bake 2 minutes longer; stir. Bake 3  minutes longer; stir again. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
  • In  large bowl, beat flour, baking powder, salt, oil (or butter), granulated sugar, buttermilk, lemon  juice, vanilla and eggs with whisk or fork until blended. Pour over  apples.
  • Bake  25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.  Cut into wedges. Drizzle with syrup. Serve immediately.

Makes 8 servings

I tend to start the apples on the stovetop instead of in the oven, and I usually substitute brown sugar for the regular sugar in the batter and we don't use any maple syrup, but it is always one of my boyfriend's favorite Sunday morning treats.

Looks freakin' delicious... I'll have to find a suitable pan, I suppose. And omnomnom it with clotted cream :o

A gentleman suggested the following:

Quote from: wiggin;102691
Buttermilk is a central ingredient in a cold cucumber soup I've made frequently.  It's a great summer soup:

1.5 med cucumbers
1/2 tsp chopped parsley
1/4 cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons snipped dill
white part of 2 scallions
1 quart of buttermilk
1 pint of half/half sour cream (reduced fat sour cream works)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste
1/2 cucumber for garnish

Peel cucumbers, cut open and remove seeds.  Blend first seven ingredients together in batches.  Stir lemon juice and salt into soup.  Chill.  Serve cold with paprike or red pepper and chopped cucumber garnish.

(And is buttermilk uniquely American?)

Making your own ingredients is fun, even more so when you have good ideas for using them :) what ingredient should one try next, hmmm. Perhaps ghee, from the next batch.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2011, 07:21 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Juxtaposition

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Buttermilk and other home-made ingredients
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2011, 12:36 »

I'll add my voice to the chorus of people saying biscuits. Buttermilk biscuits are the best thing. Make sure to freeze and grate the butter, and touch it as little as possible, and you'll get maximum flakiness. The ones my dad makes are perhaps the best food.
Pages: [1]   Go Up