THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Else Here Play Spiderweb Software Games?  (Read 2878 times)

Zingoleb

Exile III was one of the very first computer games I got (the very firsts were Warcraft II and, uh, Dogz). I loved the Exile series, and then I loved the remake, the Avernum series.

Now it looks like they're remaking it yet again.

Any thoughts? Personally, I'd rather see more Geneforge rather than a remake of a remake.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Anyone Else Here Play Spiderweb Software Games?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2011, 04:18 »

The first Avernum game is kinda desperately needing a remake by this point. What I love is that it's not just improved for every incarnation, there's also a ton of stuff added.

I've also always liked Avenum better than Geneforge, primarily because of the open world. I also find the setting more interesting, although it lacks the ethical dilemmas which has always been a strong point of Geneforge. I would actually rather see the next Avadon game, as it's a pretty cool game world, and I would like to see Jeff experiment more with improving the blatant ripoff of the Mass Effect follower system, as the lack of interesting PCs is one of the bigger weaknesses of the Avernum series.

I'm, as always, confident that this will be good. I've liked pretty much everything that Spiderweb has put out.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Zingoleb

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2011, 15:34 »

I haven't played Avadon. I should probably snag a copy now that I've got a new computer, because my old one was too old to play it (you know you have an old computer when it's too slow to play a Spiderweb game). For me, the storyline in Geneforge was a lot more compelling than the one in Avernum, though it didn't really become my favourite series until about the 3rd one.

I've no doubts that this will be fantastic, though. Though I like the one comment on that video, "Please don't become George Lucas."

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2011, 23:38 »

I was a beta tester! Except, actually, I beta tested Avadon a lot but couldn't find time to beta test the new Avernum so he kept e-mailing me new builds but I never got around to testing them which was kind of shame, except when you consider that I've already played the game twice.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2012, 13:57 »

I am just sitting down to play the new Escape From The Pit, and despite the fact that this is now mark III, I am glad he did it, because Avernum I.1 had some deficiencies in the mechanics that were fixed in later iterations, making it so that I never wanted to go back to play it because it felt like a clunky old thing next to Avernum III (or even, more importantly, VI).
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up