THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Quirks and Why-Do-I-Do-Thats  (Read 15089 times)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
Re: Your Quirks and Why-Do-I-Do-Thats
« Reply #50 on: 24 Jan 2012, 15:09 »

Guess it's a primal thing that just sticks with some people.

Cowards FTW

]:<

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:31 »

I'm incredibly scared of the dark, and of heights. As a child I would be physically unable to move if I was walking down the stairs, for example, and there was a power cut. I would just stand there completely silent until someone came to rescue me, which obviously they would often not even realise I needed them to do. I'm better now but I still am scared. And the heights thing seems to only be getting worse, I almost pass out walking to the top floor of my faculty building (but then this is my faculty building and the stairs are those floating steps without a back between each one, so you can see why that would be scary for someone with a fear of heights).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #52 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:19 »

Augh...I couldn't even imagine. I'd probably make a point to do all my laundry at my parents' house haha

And the dark thing- yes! i really think that's what it is. Uncertainty and whatnot.

Barmy- I freak out on stairs too. I can't walk down them without holding onto the railing. Then again, I fell down stairs a few times as a kid. They were carpeted....but that doesn't make it suck much less. I was a giant klutz.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #53 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:19 »

I freak out when I'm standing next to a tall building or a tower and look up at the top. I'm afraid I'll warp to the top of it and fall.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #54 on: 26 Jan 2012, 08:29 »

Sometimes I don't even notice I've turned it the wrong way out and put it on anyway... I'm not that quick.

After I eat a meal I will, using my finger, eradicate any bit of sauce or crumb left on the plate until it almost looks like the plate hasn't been used. I can just about hold off from doing it in a public place, or in the presence of someone I don't know that well. But only just.

Because of this, gravy is my mortal enemy. Tasty, tasty, enemy.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #55 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:33 »

I knew someone who was unable to eat anyone *EDIT* if anyone was standing *EDIT* behind her - she would just stop chewing, hunch her shoulders up, and hope really hard that they didn't smack her in the back of the head.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2012, 08:07 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #56 on: 26 Jan 2012, 15:13 »

I would not wish to be eaten if I were standing behind someone ;)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #57 on: 26 Jan 2012, 16:27 »

Thanks to a dumbass nutritionist from when I was a toddler, my go to comfort food is butter. Just butter. Butter and chips/fries is the big one which to this day if I'm feeling really down or sometimes just because, I get a ridiculous craving for butter that will not go away till I give in. I've had the craving last for over a week till I gave into it.

Annoying thing, since my family switched to Flora, a low-fat spread, when I was about ten, real butter is too rich and sickening for me. So I just want more Flora instead.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #58 on: 27 Jan 2012, 08:07 »

I also apparently never read through my posts before I post them anymore.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

lepetitfromage

« Reply #59 on: 27 Jan 2012, 08:35 »

Mmmmm.....I prefer those fake-y spreads/margarine to butter anyway.

I love making rice or grits and loading it up with margarine and shredded cheese. That's my go-to comfort food. Of course...that leads us to another quirk of mine. I eat cheese like I'm never going to see it again. This is a problem because I'm lactose intolerant. But it's SO worth the agony.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2012, 12:00 »

I understand the dark and heights thing, but really have never succumbed to them myself.  I think the lack of fear ofthe dark comes from being near-blind s a child.  I'd challenge myself to get around in the dark, in case I ever lost my sight.  It became like a game, and I also realized that even in extreme dark there are still minor light sources that can provide guidance, even when the power goes out. 

As for heights... I love 'em.  I like being on roofs, ladders, towers, so long as it's safe.  I won't let go and wave my hands around like an idiot, but I like the view and don't have trouble functioning.  Again, I'm pretty sure it was from helping my dad fix my grampa's (relatively flat) roof.  Right now, I'm the only person in our church who's been in the steeple to grease the bells, because the access ladder is on the outside of the roof.  And after the last step you have to swing yourself into a little door. 

80 feet up. 

It's fun! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #61 on: 29 Jan 2012, 12:57 »

I'm always making myself go up to stupid heights, I've asked if I can climb around the top of the chapel organ some time because I'd love to see how it works, but that doesn't mean I'm not terrified every single second. I used to have to climb up and down a narrow vertical ladder that went from the catwalk where the lights were down to the scene dock in the theatre (at least thirty feet drop if the trapdoors were open) and it was horrific. For some reason the law faculty stairs are just a thousand times worse, it's horrible. Making me feel a bit ill just thinking about it actually.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: 29 Jan 2012, 13:02 »

See this church?
See the golden ball on top above the tower?

That ball is a meeting room for having secret and secure meetings in!
When I was a child my mother and I climbed up and sat in that ball!

The best photo I can find showing the steps up, and a man standing in the opening is this:

Under the hill on which the church stands is a series of caves, which you can visit.  They (and the ball) were the haunt of Sir Francis Dashwood's Hellfire Club.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #63 on: 29 Jan 2012, 13:13 »

Oh, now I wanna go there...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 29 Jan 2012, 13:23 »

Visitors haven't been allowed up there for decades, now - Health and Safety, and all that.  Another no-longer-allowed thing I did as a child is crawled in and stood up under the second largest bell in Britain (which is used to strike the hours, but also strikes 101 times at 9:05pm every evening during full term): Great Tom, in Wren's Tom Tower over the gate of Christ Church College, Oxford.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2012, 13:54 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:09 »

101 times every night? That would drive me up the wall. I thought our fire alarm was bad enough.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:26 »

As well as the hours. 

When the pianist Artur Schnabel played a concert in Ch Ch in the 1920s, he came back after the interval at about 9pm, and hearing the bell striking, as he thought, the hour, he waited for it to stop.  When he had counted up to forty, he gave up and started playing.  I dare say that's happened to others.

I was a chorister at Christ Church Cathedral (for those who don't know, Oxford Cathedral and Christ Church college chapel are the same building).  The original college foundation had included eight choristers - so we liked to think that the last eight strokes represented us.  We used to lie awake and count the strikes - if the number was wrong, we reckoned the porter had had a bit to drink (more likely, even then they were automated and it was our miscounting).

The 101 strokes are said to represent the original 101 members of college returning at the time of the evening curfew (which is pretty unlikely, it seems to me).  9.05pm represents 9pm actual meridian time - for the same reason the cathedral services all start at five minutes past the hour, being the hour at the Oxford meridian.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2012, 01:35 by pwhodges »

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2012, 01:41 »

I used to live accross the street from a fire station and every day at 7 pm they fired off an air horn that could be heard all the way accross town. If you were outside when it went off, your whole body would vibrate for a few minutes after.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2012, 10:05 »

Makes me think of this comic.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:55 »

I have a fear of my running senseo appartus

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #70 on: 02 Feb 2012, 01:29 »

Even if I hate the music, once something goes on my iPod it stays forever, because I'm afraid I'll want to hear it one day and won't be able to. Biggest example: Girls Just Want to Have Fun. I've never let that song go past the first verse, but I keep it on there anyway.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #71 on: 02 Feb 2012, 02:01 »

I can imagine! Sometimes I find a song that I've long since deleted from my music player, but is still saved somewhere in the depths of one of my hard drives. But it's worth wiping some old shit from your ipod that you've heard a million times so that you can enjoy it later.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #72 on: 02 Feb 2012, 06:09 »

My iTunes used to be like that, but I've started to fix it. Why would I have several albums worth of material where I like only two songs? I enjoy using shuffle, so to have to skip over the stuff I never listened to got annoying.

And speaking of my music collection I have a bizarre array of playlists to *try* and suit every mood I could possibly be in. This ranges from those based on emotions, seasons, memories, and so on. It works, most of the time.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #73 on: 02 Feb 2012, 07:50 »

I made a playlist of ambient music and DM'd a round of DnD by improvising based on the music that was playing. It was fun, but Alex kept hitting everything with his mace and the game went from middle ages stuff to modern day New York where everybody died because he thought he could take the national guard with his mace. It was fun.

Zingoleb

« Reply #74 on: 02 Feb 2012, 14:29 »

My iTunes used to be like that, but I've started to fix it. Why would I have several albums worth of material where I like only two songs? I enjoy using shuffle, so to have to skip over the stuff I never listened to got annoying.

You can unselect a song so it doesn't play. I do this a lot if I have doubles of songs but don't want to delete albums (Say, if I have a best of and then an album, I'll deselect the best of songs).

And speaking of my music collection I have a bizarre array of playlists to *try* and suit every mood I could possibly be in. This ranges from those based on emotions, seasons, memories, and so on. It works, most of the time.

I used to, but now I'm on a shared computer and all my music is kept in one playlist call I NOT UNICRON I UNICORN

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #75 on: 07 Feb 2012, 07:28 »

Not quite sure why, but I always check the milk date after i pour it on my cereal. Never before for some reason.  Same goes with any kind of juice, always after pouring it into something.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #76 on: 07 Feb 2012, 16:42 »

I'm the total opposite, I drink and eat out of date things (I have been known quite frequently to simply remove parts of food that are mouldy and eat the rest). I figure it'd have to be badly off to kill me, I'm vegetarian and the risk is generally lower.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #77 on: 08 Feb 2012, 07:05 »

I'm with you, May. If it's not moldy, stinky or discolored.....it's edible. I think the only exceptions for me are dairy products. I just don't trust them. They wreak enough havoc on my digestive system when they're not expired.

Some things are even better past their prime. Stale cheese doodles? Mmmmmmmmmmm

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #78 on: 08 Feb 2012, 08:44 »

Also, bananas taste best when they're between 30 and 50% brown.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Zingoleb

« Reply #79 on: 08 Feb 2012, 08:52 »

That's because that's the banana starch breaking down into sugar.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #80 on: 08 Feb 2012, 10:27 »

Movies are best past their prime.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #81 on: 08 Feb 2012, 23:06 »

My wife's a big fan of stale marsmallow peeps.  Apparantly they get hard, then soft again, but in a different way than when they were fresh. 

And sticky.  They get sticky on the surface. 

I can't stand any kind of marshmallow in the first place.  These things both gross and weird me out at the same time. 

Zingoleb

« Reply #82 on: 08 Feb 2012, 23:53 »

The only thing Peeps are good for is jousting.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #83 on: 09 Feb 2012, 00:44 »

I joust with peeps every year! I hate pretty much everything marshmallow except for Fluff.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #84 on: 09 Feb 2012, 06:34 »

My favorite things to do with Peeps are to freeze them. The texture is similar to that of going stale but it's forced upon them and they're harder. Microwaving them is fun too. I love watching them puff up like little sugar coated Hulks.

This is pretty wonderful too. I look forward to checking out all the entries every year.

Btw- Carl-E, I followed your link and I love that they are basically "indestructible". Makes me want to buy a package and try to destroy them haha

« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2012, 11:05 by lepetitfromage »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #85 on: 09 Feb 2012, 10:29 »

This is pretty wonderful too. I look forward to checking out all the entries every year.

Fixed the link.  Pretty funy stuff!  I like the Sgt Peepers. 

lepetitfromage

« Reply #86 on: 09 Feb 2012, 11:07 »

Ah, crap. Thanks for letting me know, fixed it up there too. Still trying to get the hang of fancy shmancy posting.  :-P

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #87 on: 26 Feb 2012, 04:31 »

Being from England I have never seen a real peep, but they look kind of frightening.

Too many of my dreams involve Christmas and public transport. Anyone know why?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #88 on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:11 »

Christmas
To dream of Christmas symbolizes family togetherness, reunions, celebration, peace, goodwill, generosity, and human kindness. It is also representative of new beginnings and fresh starts. Consider also your own associations with this holiday.

Bus
To dream that you are waiting for a bus indicates a temporary setback in achieving your personal goals. If you miss the bus, then it indicates that an aspect of your life is out of control. You need to slow down and map out a new plan. If you get on the wrong bus, then the dream indicates your fears of making the wrong choice and going on the wrong path. You are conflicted between what you want and what others want for you.

To dream that you are at the bus station suggests that you have reached some new level or stage in your emotional or physical life.

To dream that you are riding a bus implies that you are going along with the crowd. You are lacking originality and control over where your life is taking.

To dream that you are in a bus accident suggests that it is time for you to move away from a group setting and venture out on your own. You need to be more independent.

Bus Driver
To see a bus driver in your dream indicates leadership in some group idea or plan. It is symbolic of collective power. Alternatively, it suggests that you are going around in circles and showing little progress.

To dream that you are a bus driver suggests that you are moving forward quickly. You need to show more patience and less force. In particular, if you are a school bus driver, then it signifies that through knowledge and learning you will advance rapidly in life. Your dream may be connected with a new learning situation.

Bus Stop
To dream that you are at a bus stop indicates that there is a decision that you need to make. You need to decide what you want to do with your future.

Subway (What "The Underground" is called in the US)
To dream that you are in the subway denotes that you are reaching your goal via unconscious methods. By recognizing the hidden aspects of yourself, you are able to move forward in life. Alternatively, a subway suggests that you are making a hasty decision.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012, 17:17 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #89 on: 26 Feb 2012, 05:42 »

Totally irrelevant but -

The subway is called the underground in the States? What are we talking about here? Trains which run under the ground? Or footpaths for pedestrians which go under the road?

I always thought that subway was the American word for what we call the Underground - as in the London Tube train. Subways are either sandwiches from a well-known chain or the footpath under a road, more commonly called an underpass. Am I totally wrong? Perhaps I have unconciously absorbed an Americanism.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #90 on: 26 Feb 2012, 07:22 »

First, didn't this mean to go in the dream thread? Second, you know that's all mum
bo-jumbo, right?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #91 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:32 »

No I'm pretty sure you're right, May. I thought the Underground was a British thing. I think of Subway as a generic American/North American term for the citywide train system (as opposed to the Amtrak and Marc trains). And then each city has its own name for the local system. I guess I'd call a pedestrian walkway under a road an underpass, but the word more often refers to the where a road goes under a raised highway, like so:
rather than this:
I'm not sure what to call that second one. A tunnel? We have a few around town on the walking paths.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #92 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:42 »

Hmm I'd call that a tunnel too, I'm talking more about:

I think that's a subway.

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #93 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:57 »

I entirely meant it here, as I wondering why on earth my dreams are consistently about these things. It's a quirk of my subconscious... one might arguee.

I think my idea of a subway is so confused since I'm influenced heavily by American culture so things get a little screwed up in my head. That's definitely a quirk.

But yeah a subway is a pedestrian tunnel, a sandwich or some underground choo choo trains.

Zingoleb

« Reply #94 on: 26 Feb 2012, 15:30 »

I'm not sure what to call that second one. A tunnel? We have a few around town on the walking paths.

That is a culvert. Back in NY there's a culvert that lets you drive under the Erie Canal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #95 on: 26 Feb 2012, 15:35 »

A culvert is a tunnel carrying water - a stream or open drain - under an embankment (possibly from Fr. couler, to flow); OED and Webster's agree on that.  The illustration was a pedestrian underpass of rather crude construction.

Zingoleb

« Reply #96 on: 26 Feb 2012, 15:41 »

I've never heard of a culvert used in that manner; I'm largely used to The Culvert Tunnel.

http://www.exploreny.net/orleans.php3 This page mentions it, if you can get past the gross site design.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #97 on: 26 Feb 2012, 17:17 »

Totally irrelevant but -

The subway is called the underground in the States? What are we talking about here? Trains which run under the ground? Or footpaths for pedestrians which go under the road?

I always thought that subway was the American word for what we call the Underground - as in the London Tube train. Subways are either sandwiches from a well-known chain or the footpath under a road, more commonly called an underpass. Am I totally wrong? Perhaps I have unconciously absorbed an Americanism.

My mistake. I meant to say "What we Americans call your "Underground". Fixed it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #98 on: 27 Feb 2012, 00:23 »

Aha! That clears up a lot :)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #99 on: 27 Feb 2012, 03:29 »

I very much dislike the use of subway as substitute for the word underpass. Why not call it subwalk?
A tunnel in my mind can be an underpass or a motorway tunnel. The picture was just that of a bridge. A tunnel is through a mountain or going under a river.
The word subway is the same thing as the underground in my mind becuase I connect them both to being trains in cities.

American words are taking over though, much to my dismay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up