THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you Resolute?  (Read 7605 times)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Are you Resolute?
« on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:13 »

So I guess now that Christmas is over and we're coming up to yet another year it's time to start talking about New Years Resolutions. Did you make resolutions last year? Did you keep them? Will you do it again?

I made a few resolutions last year and I think I did OK with them.
1) Figure out what I want to do with my life and get started on doing it. It might be opening up that comic shop I've been talking about or going back to uni. Either way I'm sick of being completely at a loss of where my life is going at 24 years old.
Done! I went back to uni, got really good marks and have lined up a job with a social work agency helping people who are on outpatient care.
2) Continue to lose weight and get fit or whatever.
Kind of done! I joined a new gym and have increased my strength and fitness levels but I'm still pretty overweight and unfit.
3) Quit smoking.
Done. Quit smoking in March and I've never looked back oh yeah.
4) Get my band's album recorded and released.
Nope! Failed. We just haven't been organised enough to do this.
5) Learn Mandarin (again).
Complete failure. Not only did I make no attempt to even look into this, I forgot this resolution as soon as I got into uni at the beginning of the year.

Imma call that 3/5 so I think I did pretty well for the second year I've actually made any resolutions at all.

1. Get working in the mental health field.
2. Get accepted into a Masters of Clinical Psychology course
3. Keep going to the gym three times a week but actually lose weight - this means focusing on my diet. Eat less, eat well. Get healthy.
4. Record an album or EP or fucking something, god!
5. Finish my sleeves.
6. Get to work on more tattoos - either my back (Legend of Zelda), leg-sleeves (Batman), or if I lose enough weight and get a more or less flat tummy, a big dead tree running up my stomach and chest.

Oh hey, here is a link to the last New Years Resolutions thread if you need a reminder of how badly you failed to live up to your expectations this year. Not many people from back then still wander this part of the internet but maybe.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
Re: Are you Resolute?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:23 »

I didn't have any new years resolutions last year and I won't bother with them this year. I don't go into 2012 with a set of thing I need to have done.
On the other hand, I will work on the following:

- Finally get my drivers licence (im 22, keep in mind i live in the Netherlands)
- Eat less pizza's and cook more healthy dinners
- Get a GF  :|

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:47 »

The only one I posted on PJ:

Read more
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:28 »

I don't make resolutions.  That being said,

1.  Visit my parents.  I let it slip for two years now (!). 
2.  Be a better teacher, more responsive to my students.  Mainly, just get grades done on time. 
3.  Keep in contact with friends more. 
4.  Sing more.  Maybe join another choir. 
5.  Start working out for real, and watch what I eat so I can lose a little weight and be kinder to my knees. 
6.  Drink a little more.  I get one, maybe two beers every month or so.  I need to relax more often.  Maybe go back to the weekly poker game. 

I know, 5 and 6 are in direct conflict...   :-P
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2011, 11:19 »

I didn't have any new years resolutions last year and I won't bother with them this year. I don't go into 2012 with a set of thing I need to have done.

- Finally get my drivers licence (im 22, keep in mind i live in the Netherlands)
I actually resolved not to do the first. Between contributing to traffic congestion, pollution, and spending a lot of money on everything related to cars, I'm much more comfortable without. The train and the bike serve me just fine.

As for last year, I remember making some resolutions for a nonspecific time interval, one of which was to get out of my comfort zone more, and become more social. I've since moved out of my parents' house, so I guess I can check off that first one. I think I've become more comfortable being social as well, even though I'd still rather be home than at a bar or club or somesuch.

Following that, I resolved that I would disregard some pointless evolutionary drives and expectations of society regarding what constitutes a succesful person. That's why Phibes' number 3 is not in my resolutions. That's not to say I won't try to meet these expectations (I'm only human, after all) but that I won't beat myself up for failing to meet them. I will try not to be a billion years of evolution's bitch, so to say.

Come to think of it, those things may be completely contrary to each other. Well, I did a lot of thinking in the previous year, so some existential conflict is to be expected. Future resolutions will be made after that's resolved.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2011, 18:19 »

I resolved to make no resolutions
And I am resolute in my resolve.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2011, 19:14 »

I have resolved to keep the kitchen neater - namely, to wash dishes and pans right away after using them instead of leaving them for later, and to put away dry dishes already on the drainer instead of piling more on top of them. This will make the kitchen nicer and more usable, and prevent I-need-to-wash-the-dishes-already-in-the-sink-before-I-can-wash-the-thing-I-need-ugh-forget-it-I'll-just-have-a-frozen-pizza syndrome.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2011, 20:03 »

I honestly would like to die of some sort of natural cause. I think I'm done.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2011, 20:36 »

I actually resolved not to do the first. Between contributing to traffic congestion, pollution, and spending a lot of money on everything related to cars, I'm much more comfortable without. The train and the bike serve me just fine.

As for last year, I remember making some resolutions for a nonspecific time interval, one of which was to get out of my comfort zone more, and become more social. I've since moved out of my parents' house, so I guess I can check off that first one. I think I've become more comfortable being social as well, even though I'd still rather be home than at a bar or club or somesuch.

Well, not to go the other side of the perspective, I think I'm able to pick up girls and get one night stands if I'd like to. I just don't feel like loving.
And yes, the train and bike serve me just fine, I don't know if ill ever get to that resolution :X

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2011, 22:06 »

That can be arranged.  I know people...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2011, 22:33 »

Be happy. Whenever I plan things they always go board the Tits Up Express, so I've learned to just try and guide what happens into the best possible resolution.

In general:

Play music in public.
Take art lessons.
Be happy.

That's all!

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2011, 23:25 »

That can be arranged.  I know people...
Who are these people?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:02 »

My first resolution is to try and cycle every non-residential road in the Peak District within the space of the year. Luckily I get to tee off by cycling back from Stockport to Sheffield on New Years Day, although I haven't decided which way to go yet.

Not sure what to go with next, still a few days to add to the list though.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:14 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:27 »

Mine is 1280 x 800.

Quote from: Last year I wrote:
For 2011:
- Try to keep doing as well in school as I did my first quarter back.
- Finish my grad application.
- Don't get fired from my job.
- Continue supporting myself.
- Work out more this year than I did last year.

- I did pretty well minus the one class. (I think I've got a 3.7 right now? Which is pretty cool.)
- I finished my grad app and am officially a masters student.
- Didn't get fired! (I don't know why I was worried about that.)
- I live at home again, but that's so I don't have to work while I'm student teaching, because that would SUCK. So not really a fail, I guess, since I'm being sensible.
- Definitely didn't work out more.

So for 2012:
- Graduate sometime this year, preferably with honors.
- Actually work out more this year and also try to eat better.
- Try my hardest to find a teaching job after school is over.
- Never take as many classes in one quarter as I did this fall. So I don't lose it again and can, you know, actually enjoy uni.
- Keep up with my sewing and knitting. Try to make more actual garments to wear.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:33 »

What subject will you be able to teach once you have your degree?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:56 »

I didn't make any resolutions last year. Over the year I made some goals though. Main one being losing weight, specifically I'm trying to get my waist down to 35 inches.
Started trying for serious in August and my waist is down from 40 to 38, with which right now I'm delighted.
I also wanted to make far more art than I meant to. Mostly college and work got in the way. I'm at least doodling almost every day again though. Would much rather be finishing pieces though.

This year the main goals are:
- Learn to drive
- Move out
- Relearn German
- Keep practising piano/keyboard.
- Make more art
- Finish writing my novel.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2011, 07:19 »

What subject will you be able to teach once you have your degree?

Art. Though I won't say no to a sub job, either. A few teachers are retiring after this year, including one of the two teachers I'll be working with next quarter, so hopefully that helps my chances.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2011, 08:26 »

The only resolution I made last year was to quit smoking and I succeeded (for the most part. I might have 1 cig every 4 months as opposed to a pack a week like i used to)

This year...

-Lose some damn weight. I eat decently, but I'm a big snacker and the munchies are definitely not helping either. Neither is sitting on my ass 9-5 every day.
-Do more yoga/be less stressed/take less Xanax
-Try to not forget to take my meds daily. My brain just does not want to remember to take them when really all it does is screw my brain up more.
-Do a massive organizational overhaul of my apartment (I'm doing one of those silly 52 week challenge things)
-Spend less moolah/be smarter with coupons. I've resolved to spend less than $40/week on groceries
-Make more moolah. If I don't get the raise I was promised last month, I'm either going to look for a new job or get a second one.
-Get my ass moving on the wedding planning. We've been engaged for 6 months now and we just have a few dates picked out, a list of venues and a lot of random, mismatched ideas.

Linds, I'm right there with you on the trying to find a job teaching art. I'd count it as a resolution, but I don't see my chances as all that high with all the cutbacks being made to art programs around here. I have some grant writing experience so hopefully that'll help, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be finishing up my certification requirements in February though, yay!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2011, 08:36 »

Good luck! I am really hoping to find one in the area, but they've been making cuts here, too, so we'll see. But I'm at least going to try. :-)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2011, 09:25 »

Thanks, you too! Maybe one day the higher-ups will get their heads out of their asses and realize how important it is to teach kids art!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2011, 10:47 »

I just did an english lesson with my Korean student about resolutions. We talked for ages about the relationship between the words resolution, resolute and resolve - he struggled a bit because not only did he not know those words, he also didn't know the synonyms I was giving him, but he understood in the end. Then we talked about how his 2011 had gone and what had been the most exciting, what had been bad etc. Apparently the most exciting thing for him was getting a limited edition Beyblade for Christmas (nine year olds are so predictable!). Then we tried to make a list of four resolutions, and ended up with two. One of them was to collect another 28 beyblades.

I kind of miss being that age, when I didn't have any big important things to make resolutions about.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2011, 15:03 »

But you liked smoking, didn't you?

lepetitfromage

« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2011, 23:39 »

i liked it a lot.....i miss the act of smoking more than the nicotine though...but that's easy to deal with now that i've learned how to roll joints   :-P

The only resolution I made last year was to quit smoking and I succeeded (for the most part. I might have 1 cig every 4 months as opposed to a pack a week like i used to)

Hey yeah, I did that too! ^5!

congrats! we're awesome  :-D

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #24 on: 01 Jan 2012, 12:15 »

My first resolution is to try and cycle every non-residential road in the Peak District within the space of the year. Luckily I get to tee off by cycling back from Stockport to Sheffield on New Years Day, although I haven't decided which way to go yet.

Not sure what to go with next, still a few days to add to the list though.

So I decided to kick this off by riding home from the gf's parents house today and hit the Snake Pass from Glossop to Ladybower and then into Sheffield via the Rivelin Valley. I now hurt quite a bit and careful observation tells me that I might have turned into a fat bastard. Guess what my next resolution is going to be?

If you need further clues, I am eating chocolate as I type this, which is indicative that all is not going well right now, particularly as the aforementioned gf has very recently told me to "stop eating all the chocolate you fat bastard".

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 04 Jan 2012, 06:04 »

"Glossop". "Ladybower".

I don't even.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jan 2012, 11:01 »

I just find every name he listed to be very silly sounding, aside from Sheffield.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jan 2012, 11:25 »

England has the best names.

Except maybe Australia.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #28 on: 04 Jan 2012, 11:43 »

I've been eating my meat extremely rare and turned the heat way down to 50.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #29 on: 04 Jan 2012, 11:53 »

A lot of Saxon derived names can sound silly, largely though continous, pre-scholastic dialectic bastardisation. Glossop is believed to derive from Glott's Hop, which would mean Glott's Valley. Ladybower is a local contraction of Ladybower Reservoir, which takes it's name from the Ladybower Tor that sits above the lost village of Ashopton and that in turn is believed to take it's name from a local farming family by the name of Bower. The reservoir itself sits in the Derwent Valley, site of the test runs for the Bouncing Bomb, or Project Chastise, which is the story behind the classic war film, The Dambusters.

Derbyshire is also home to such delights as Flash, Unthank, Wormhill, Shatton and Cockyard.

Zingoleb

« Reply #30 on: 04 Jan 2012, 12:25 »

And don't forget the street names. Such wonderful names as Pissing Alley, Tickle Cock Bridge, or Gropecunt Lane.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 04 Jan 2012, 13:06 »

I've been eating my meat extremely rare and turned the heat way down to 50.

With Fiva Beans and a nice Chianti?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 04 Jan 2012, 13:43 »

Goosnargh, north of Preston.

And there's my black metal name.

Zingoleb

« Reply #33 on: 04 Jan 2012, 13:52 »

Fun fact: Goosenargh is the name of an imp in Avernum 2, in Korradis's Tower where you get the Mica Tome.

She hates the word 'fish'.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 04 Jan 2012, 14:31 »

The reservoir itself sits in the Derwent Valley, site of the test runs for the Bouncing Bomb, or Project Chastise, which is the story behind the classic war film, The Dambusters.

Fun fact: I went to orchestra with the grandson of the inventor of the bouncing bomb, and the boy's mother was my piano teacher.

Added fun fact: I wrote "Fun fact" before reading Zing's post. Hive mind?

lepetitfromage

« Reply #35 on: 05 Jan 2012, 05:49 »

yeah, I'm going to have to chime in with how awesome everything sounds in England. I'm aching to take a trip there, but I'm too broke. Maybe that will be a resolution for a year when I'm making more money. And I'm one of those fools who swoons around anyone with an English accent.

Teehee, one of the names in Barmy's link is "Scratchy Bottom". Teehee.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 05 Jan 2012, 06:54 »

One of my favourite stories - a comedian called Keith Donnelly used to tell it: he found a newspaper clipping whose headline was "Nasty Man marries Ugly Green Woman". I can't find a place called Ugly Green but it may be a different spelling.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #37 on: 05 Jan 2012, 09:07 »

I actually know quite a lot of the places in that list - and others not listed, such as Bix Bottom, Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter, and not forgetting Piddletrenthide.  Oh, and Tolpuddle, of the Tolpuddle Martyrs.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012, 09:34 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #38 on: 05 Jan 2012, 14:23 »

"Nasty Man marries Ugly Green Woman".

One of my many claims to ingnominy is that for one day I was a member of the Slaughterhouse Five, a team of five binmen operating out of South Cerney that served Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter or The Slaughters as they're referred to collectively.

Despite my best pleadings I have been denied the opportunity to live in Twatley (too expensive) and Catbrain (not close to anywhere we wanted to be).

Edited to add that the Piddle Brewery in Dorset is one of the finest in the country and you would be well advised to try them some time.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012, 14:32 by The Seldom Killer »

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #39 on: 08 Jan 2012, 09:34 »

2012 goals:  By 12 May, my college graduation, I will:

do 20 dead-hang pull-ups
run a 21:00 3-mile
lose my Hideous Paunch/weigh under 175lb
Pages: [1]   Go Up