THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sherlock (BBC)  (Read 6901 times)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
Sherlock (BBC)
« on: 01 Jan 2012, 16:17 »

Sherlock is back! On the BBC every week from now, 3 episodes of each an hour and a half. The latest was not just great, it was magnificent!

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Sherlock (BBC)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2012, 18:16 »

I caught the first season on Netflix and it was pretty great! Can't wait to see the new episodes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2012, 15:02 »

The latest was not just great, it was magnificent!

Quite so!

I have so much love for this show.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2012, 14:33 »

I enjoyed the episode a lot, but I do have difficulty reconciling it with the books, which I adored. I saw the first series before I read the books so I didn't have as much trouble with that, but I was rather annoyed at how Irene Adler was portrayed. Sex and mystery are not the same thing.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2012, 14:58 »

Well maybe not to you, I'm usually confused as hell.

My friends keep telling me to watch this show, and I have season one downloaded. I think I'll get to it once I finish off Archer.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:37 »

Loved this second series!  Altough the second episode wasn't as good as first or third it was better than the second of the first series. Still pretty fun :)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 20:42 »

I had to read that five times for it to make sense. Lots of numbers.

Just finished watching all of Sherlock online (glad I got that since the feds are shutting down video streaming sites now, apparently). I have to say, the similarities to the movie version (which came out a year earlier that Series 1) are striking enough to appear to be more or less lifted BUT that doesn't mean the show isn't damn good. I don't think the Moriarty element is particularly well done or makes all that much sense (unless I missed something crucial) but apart from that it's stylish and well acted and generally a lot of fun. Maybe not as brilliant as the hyper led me to believe it would be but well worth watching in any case.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:15 »

What was wrong about Moriarty exactly? He sees in Sherlock his nemesis for stopping sinister plots in the first series. All the things that happened there were things Moriarty organised. In the series he might be more of a crazy person. Comparison to the movies should not be done becuase I think simply they both were scheduled for production and the idea for both were not driven becuase of eachother. Or the series becuase of the movies.

In any case, if anyone has seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy you'll see a whole other Cumberbatch than in Sherlock and I was surprised at the difference!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2012, 20:14 »

I guess I just didn't buy Moriarty's character on the show for some reason. Part of it is that I felt that character was overdone and the acting - like so many crazy bad guys - felt more like caricature than anything remotely real. And the fact that Sherlock just happened to be foiling many of Moriarty's ventures rang a little false as well. I don't know, something about his character and the way they worked him into the show just didn't work for me.

And yeah, I actually didn't even recognize Cumberbatch in Tinker Tailor. He's obviously a versatile actor though. Here's hoping we see more of him in the future.

EDIT: I think if you consider the way Sherlock's eccentricities are manifested in the show and in the movie, along with the music in both, and along with the moment's where he's making deductions and the camera zips around showing all the elements he's noticing, it's a little difficult NOT to see similarities that feel too close to be coincidental. That's not a criticism of one or the other, it's just noting that some elements ARE very close.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2012, 08:23 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: [1]   Go Up