THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 02:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 9359 times)

thepugs

The Hobbit
« on: 25 Nov 2006, 21:05 »

I don't know if it's been discussed, but has anyone else seen the 1977 cartoon of The Hobbit?  I have the VHS, and probably watched it like once a week as a kid.

It was totally kickass.  The songs in particular were amazing.  They changed the story a little, but the only thing I didn't like about is that they left out Beorn.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2006, 20:49 by thepugs »

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2006, 07:02 »

The thing I most distinctly remember was that whenever someone got stabbed, there was a plethora of cartoony gore. I liked it.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2006, 08:37 »

It was my introduction to the whole Middle Earth thing. Half the kids in my school were walking around carrying either The Hobbit or one of the Lord of the Rings books, but I refused to read them just because everyone else was. It honestly never occurred to me that I might be missing out on something good, because if that many people were into it, it had to be bad. Good stuff rarely has such mass appeal.

Anyway, I saw it on TV, and was impressed that Rankin & Bass could crank out such a high-quality animated film. I thought the elves looked kinduv evil and sinister, though, and elves are supposed to be all happy-go-lucky, but other than that, it was a great film. I eventually did pick up the book The Hobbit, then Lord of the Rings, then The Silmarillion. I've read them each maybe three times. Great stuff.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Manta Ray

« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2006, 08:13 »

Check out Unfinished Tales too, and if you're really up for it: The History of Middle Earth (about 12 volumes)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2006, 09:32 »

I remember it actually being very good.  I was a little hesitant after watching the Lord of the Rings animated movie but I was pleasently surprised.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2006, 22:12 »

The Hobbit was the shit!! Lord of the Rings cartoon movie, not so much.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 05 Dec 2006, 23:17 »

Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings movie should have totally rocked, but it ended sucking for multiple reasons.? He knew going into it that doing the entire story in one film was insane, so it only covered approximately the first half of the story. The profits from the first movie were supposed to help finance the second part. Except the budget on the first part got out of control and parts of it were obviously never finished (I remember the Orcs were just filmed guys in costumes with some effects - all that was supposed to be animation in the final cut). So the first part turned out like crap, didn't do well, and the second part never got made.

Then some other group made a movie of just The Return of the King, which was weird, but it provided "most of the rest of the story" for people. Hey, come to think of it, didn't Rankin/Bass (same guys who did The Hobbit) do The Return of the King animated film?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2006, 17:17 »

Yeah, they only managed to about half-finish the rotoscoping in the Lord of the Rings film. The result was...interesting.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2011, 21:49 »

THE FIRST OFFICAL TRAILER!

Am I the only one excited to the point of stupidly joyous grinning?
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2011, 00:29 »

I cried.

I sat chin in my hands not blinking.  Sucked completely in, and tears rolled down my cheeks. 

My father read me the Hobbit when I was small, and then the Lord of the Rings, and then The Hobbit again.  I when I re-read it as an adult, every poem was in his voice. He got quite sick this year, and while he is recovering, he has a long road ahead of him.  This trailer made me feel 6 again, wrapped in a blanket, one of his arms around me, his voice deep and heavy as it reached one ear through the air and the other through his chest, where I lay my head.   

Perfect.  Why is the move a year away. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2011, 00:55 »

And that's only part 1 - another year to get to the end.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2011, 16:18 »

Bagginses
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2011, 17:22 »

Some other posted footage suggests they're going for a more musical direction.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2011, 07:16 »

I was definitely excited to hear them singing Over The Misty Mountains Cold in the trailer. So glad there will be songs this time, like there should be.

The trailer really took me back to the magical feeling of the previous films, the next two winters after this one will give us great gifts indeed.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2011, 13:39 »

My father read me the Hobbit when I was small, and then the Lord of the Rings, and then The Hobbit again.  I when I re-read it as an adult, every poem was in his voice. He got quite sick this year, and while he is recovering, he has a long road ahead of him. 

Forgive me for making the suggestion, but perhaps you could take the time to return the favor and read it to him while he's in recovery?  It'd be nice for him to know he left an impression. 

THE FIRST OFFICAL TRAILER!
Am I the only one excited to the point of stupidly joyous grinning?

I remember finding the book in 7th grade among my mother's books in the attic.  I was so sucked in....

and I'm so happy to see that it's getting a proper treatment.  Rankin-Bass' version sucked was a disappointment. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:31 »

The Rankin-Bass version wasn't terrific, but for what it was (an animated TV version without much budget) it wasn't bad.  I'm old enough to remember its original broadcast, and at the time it was actually pretty cool just to have something.  No one else had even tried it before, so I have to give them props for giving it a shot.

Also, I second the idea of Papersatan reading to Dad while he's recovering.  That was the first thing I thought of, and I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make the suggestion.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2011, 20:12 »

Reading it to him was the first thing that my siblings and I first though of but they told us it wasn't a good idea when he was under or when he first woke up and was still loopy because he had no sense of time and no grasp on the lines between reality and fantasy.  Now that he is mentally back though I figured I would see if he was up for it when I visit this weekend.  Also I think I am going to get with my siblings to take him to see the move when it comes out.   
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:42 »

and I'm so happy to see that it's getting a proper treatment.

Peter Jackson. Guillermo Del Toro. And shivers down my spine when I watch that trailer, over and over and over again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up