THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-COM *turn*-based remake by Firaxis  (Read 3145 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
X-COM *turn*-based remake by Firaxis
« on: 06 Jan 2012, 00:27 »

Definitely a development I'm interested in. One of my favorite games of all time, despite having never finished the damned thing! I guess the FPS is still in the works as well, which is fine. Whether I ever get that will depend on what I hear about it, though, while I'm inclined to get the T-B version even if it isn't totally awesome.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
Re: X-COM *turn*-based remake by Firaxis
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2012, 12:27 »

saw this earlier today.

yay!
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2012, 15:16 »

There was a promising clone in development earlier, named Xenonauts. TotalBiscuit has a wtf on it, if you're interested. It looks pretty sweet, and is supposed to be out sometime this year. If you preorder, you also get access to the current alpha build.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2012, 22:06 »

This was and is a favorite game of mine.  Can't wait to see the new version.   :-D
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2012, 19:44 »

There was a promising clone in development earlier, named Xenonauts. TotalBiscuit has a wtf on it, if you're interested. It looks pretty sweet, and is supposed to be out sometime this year. If you preorder, you also get access to the current alpha build.
as far as i'm aware there is always at least one x-com 'remake' or something in the works by some bedroom coders but none of them ever seem to materialse beyond a beta
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 23:24 »

Oh, this was an actual studio with actual budgets and release dates and such. And videos of actual well into beta gameplay. There's at least one half-done freeware project that's around and still being developed. I tried it. The interface was... Bad.

The one cool thing about Xenonauts that made it stand out (to me), was that the aircraft to aircraft combat had been developed into a little strategic minigame of it's own - there's some pics /10/]here. The idea is real time 2d aircraft combat with pausing to change orders, and a lot of focus on maneuvering to be able to shoot down the UFOs without getting shot down yourself.

As someone who's way too young to ever have played the originals, I'm really looking forward to both the Firaxis remake and Xenonatus. I also don't have much emotional attachment to the brand, so I won't be that sad if either sucks. I will probably play the XCOM-fps, as it looks more interesting than any fps I've seen in a while, although the later gameplay videos doesn't look as promising as the game used to look.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive
Pages: [1]   Go Up