THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A sequence I want to see, just once, in a movie set in ancient Rome.  (Read 3227 times)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Someone climbs the steps of an insula, puts a key into a lock, and turns it.

That's it.

Is anyone with me?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Isn't that anachronistic? 

And if so, why is the symbol for St. Peter a set of keys? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Roman locks weren't spring-loaded like ours, but the the interior had a kind of spool, that connected to the main assembly in just the right way to match the teeth.  This kind of lock dates back to Egypt and Sumer.  This is where the traditional key and keyhole shapes come from - the spine went at the top, all the way back, so that the teeth would align to the gear.  Skeleton keys, too - with a single, short tooth in the right place, a little extra force could open locks you weren't meant to open.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I did not know what an insula was, and had to look it up. This forum is educational!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Not sure why/what that would add to a movie.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I did not know what an insula was, and had to look it up. This forum is educational!

Me too.  I guess I learnt Latin at the sort of school where we weren't concerned with matters like the housing of the lower orders.

(I've outgrown my schooling - honest!)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Not sure why/what that would add to a movie.
It would show how the great majority of Romans apparently actually lived, as opposed to always depicting the ones who lived in palaces, I suppose. It would be like a movie set in Ancient China where the characters were not wuxia heroes, but peasants who spent their lives labouring in the fields, and then died. Yeah, a box-office smash for sure!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.

Well the next thing I'm filming is a music video involving an Umpa Lumpa, but I'll keep this in mind, steal your idea and offer you no credit whatsoever for it.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Zingoleb

You're a true artist, Ryan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up