THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lemurs!  (Read 36679 times)

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Lemurs!
« Reply #50 on: 26 Mar 2012, 12:47 »

Oh my god we had a hedgehog expert aboard. Thanks a lot. How long do they live in captivity, I mean how long did your cousin's hedgehog live?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #51 on: 26 Mar 2012, 12:57 »

Not an expert, but I looked after it a couple of times and I got a 20 minute lecture from my uncle about looking after it. They live between 3 to 8 years, but they more typically live 4 to 6 years. When my uncle and aunt had it put down, it was about 5 years old, the WHS meant that they had to puree its meals because  it couldn't feed itself, or even move to its feeding dish.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 26 Mar 2012, 13:02 »

Gah, that's sad. Well thanks again, I wasn't completely serious but now I know for future reference.  :-)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #53 on: 26 Mar 2012, 14:18 »

My mother occasionally looked after the odd hedgehog from the garden in cold weather, bringing it in to bed down in the cat's box next to the old coke-fired boiler.  What I can tell you from experience is that wild hedgehogs are the most flea-ridden beasts you could ever encounter...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #54 on: 27 Mar 2012, 18:55 »

Just so there are more pictures on this page, here's another cute animal for you...

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #55 on: 27 Mar 2012, 21:14 »

Chinchillas!

Kenyahp

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #56 on: 28 Mar 2012, 09:20 »

When I was an eighth grader, I took a class on small animal care. We had chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, birds, lizards, the whole nine yards.

The two chinchillas had some babies and then we got rid of the daddy chinchilla. And, I guess that made the mama chinchilla super sad, because she bit through the metal cage (chinchillas bite through metal a surprising amount) and ran away. We couldn't find her, so had to take care of her babies. Two months later, the janitors find her, dead, in one of the air ducts and I was sad. We were all sad.

I have a lot of depressing stories like this hahaha. Maybe I shouldn't be on the cute animal thread...

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #57 on: 28 Mar 2012, 10:45 »

When I was an eighth grader, I took a class on small animal care. We had chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, birds, lizards, the whole nine yards.

The two chinchillas had some babies and then we got rid of the daddy chinchilla. And, I guess that made the mama chinchilla super sad, because she bit through the metal cage (chinchillas bite through metal a surprising amount) and ran away. We couldn't find her, so had to take care of her babies. Two months later, the janitors find her, dead, in one of the air ducts and I was sad. We were all sad.

I have a lot of depressing stories like this hahaha. Maybe I shouldn't be on the cute animal thread...
Would the finding have been more or less depressing if the entire school had wondered for a week where the smell was coming from?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 28 Mar 2012, 15:20 »

Funny thing about air vents. They have a tendency to dry out small carcasses before there's really any noticeable smell. Now, before anyone gets any ideas, humans have far to much material for this, so don't hide the bodies in the air ducts  :wink:

This coming from someone who has lost many a hamster to the heating vents in our house.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #59 on: 28 Mar 2012, 15:42 »

Funny thing about air vents. They have a tendency to dry out small carcasses before there's really any noticeable smell. Now, before anyone gets any ideas, humans have far to much material for this, so don't hide the bodies in the air ducts

<_< .............I'll be back in a bit......... >_>

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2012, 15:56 »

Funny thing about air vents. They have a tendency to dry out small carcasses before there's really any noticeable smell. Now, before anyone gets any ideas, humans have far to much material for this, so don't hide the bodies in the air ducts  :wink:

This coming from someone who has lost many a hamster to the heating vents in our house.
I have a couple of cats and in parts of the house they can't get to, mice move in in the winter. Every now and then, there's a kind of dusty decomposition odor, not quite to the level of objectionable. Then it goes away. Usually I notice it in the bedroom, and at night a ceiling fan dissipates it quite well.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2012, 16:10 »

Pretty sure we have rodents of some kind in our walls. I hear them scratching around at night. And yeah, every once in a while there's that smell, like you described.

Kenyahp

« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2012, 16:20 »

We have three cats that are terrible at catching mice, but I guess the smell of cats keep the mice at bay.

Unrelated note, out youngest cat brought in a baby rabbit last night and it died overnight. Poor thing.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2012, 18:44 »

Pretty sure we have rodents of some kind in our walls. I hear them scratching around at night. And yeah, every once in a while there's that smell, like you described.
The mice came in when our retirement home was new, and their favorite place was in the cathedral ceiling above the bedroom.
The scratching was one thing. But they apparently carried acorns into the space, and one night, I heard repeated rolling sounds. The little bastards must have been bowling!
I dont mind killing the mice, whether by poison, trap or cat. But I hate to see any other harmless critter injured or dying, and that sometimes means running over an injured animal on the road with a flapping tail. It also means fishing struggling dragonflies out of the pool. I don't think I was always so tender-hearted, but living in the country and age probably resulted in the change.
So the death of the baby rabbit would be sad in my household too.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2012, 19:33 »

There was an abandoned kitchen manufacturer near where I live and a few years ago, they started demolishing it. Now, the area I live in had this place, then there was us, and then there is this saltmarsh right next to the river leading to the ocean, which means those two areas are perfect places for rats to breed. The street was lucky because it seemed the majority of rats at the manufacturer made their way to the saltmarsh and away from everyone.

Except one little bastard.

One rat decided to make its home on the street. And it made sure to let you know that, as one cat found out. Now, I know my neighbours tried everything to get rid of it, one tried humane traps, another got a Kerry Blue specifically to kill it and we tried traps baited with chocolate (Before anyone laughs, its a legitimate trick, they prefer sweeter things, like jams. Mice prefer them too.), and one broke out the rat poison. Nothing worked, the rat apparently jumped onto the humane trap and left a "present" on top of it, the Kerry Blue couldn't find it and poison was taken away because of concerns that someone's pet would accidentally eat it. Oh...and the little bastard mocked us but stealing the chocolate off the trap without setting it off. We'd hear him skittering around outside, could never see him though.

This went on for about a week until the day I did some gardening and was putting the shovel back into the gardening shed when I heard this "SCHLUNK!" sound.

Needless to say, I didn't look down, went off, got a black bag, shovelled what was left into the bag and threw it into the bin.

End of the rat.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2012, 23:57 »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #66 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:10 »

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #67 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:17 »

Soprano?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #68 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:34 »

Actually, he's a tenor, and he's not even shaped like that - it's more of an attitude thing. 

Kenyahp

« Reply #69 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:39 »

There was an abandoned kitchen manufacturer near where I live and a few years ago, they started demolishing it.

I read this, I swear, as an abandoned KITTEN factory.

And thought "well, this story must be fun" then was utterly confused.

Zingoleb

« Reply #70 on: 06 Apr 2012, 04:52 »

Zingoleb

« Reply #71 on: 04 Aug 2013, 19:05 »

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #72 on: 05 Aug 2013, 07:31 »

YOU TRICKED ME

I was like, oh lemurs! They're cute. WHY
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #73 on: 05 Aug 2013, 08:09 »

Well, the spiders are cute, too.  Especially Mr psychedelic water-drop. 

But after all the trigger discussions around here, why go trigger happy? 

Everything OK? 

Zingoleb

« Reply #74 on: 07 Aug 2013, 03:09 »

what?

everything gr8, i fvkn LOVE spiders

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #75 on: 07 Aug 2013, 16:59 »

We took lotsa pics of baby lemurs but I can't find 'em! :'(

But here are some teens:

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #77 on: 09 Aug 2013, 04:50 »

I miss having guinea pigs, ours lasted a really long time too. Eight years on average.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up