THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would YOU expect in ECT-101's first class cabin?

Personal video screens.
- 10 (5%)
Lay-flat seats.
- 11 (5.4%)
Mini wet-bar.
- 9 (4.5%)
Wi-Fi/Internet Connection.
- 22 (10.9%)
Great Food.
- 7 (3.5%)
Wait, this flight will last what, 30 minutes?
- 27 (13.4%)
Barf bags.
- 11 (5.4%)
COOKIES!
- 2 (1%)
WAFFLES!
- 12 (5.9%)
Emergency EVA suits.
- 18 (8.9%)
Space Toilets.
- 10 (5%)
Space Sleeping Bags.
- 1 (0.5%)
Space Pillows.
- 4 (2%)
Space Space!
- 6 (3%)
Tethers for Null-G "bumps".
- 7 (3.5%)
Duct Tape for AnthroPC's.
- 13 (6.4%)
Richard Branson sitting next to you.
- 8 (4%)
Winslow sitting next to you.
- 5 (2.5%)
Something COMPLETELY Different.
- 10 (5%)
Gravity Dampeners.
- 9 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2106-2110 (January 23-27, 2012) - QC IN SPAAAAAACE!!!  (Read 49980 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Early start to the thread due to Jeph returning from NZ and me probably unable to start the thread tomorrow afternoon.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference

I found picking just one of those really  hard. =(

gprimr1

• Furry furrier

I wonder if they have a space elevator or if we'll see them riding on a rocket/space shuttle.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I really should have made it a multiple-choice poll, but clicked it before I could change it.
Just another Joe like 46

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

count me in the half of Jeph's readers who think that this silly story line is going to TOTALLY ROCK ASS!~

kajiura fan

• Not quite a lurker
  • To Nowhere

I wonder if the first couple of strips will involve just the trip up to the space station.

Fun times with zero gravity! Woo!
"I smell weakness!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I wonder if they have a space elevator or if we'll see them riding on a rocket/space shuttle.

Ring Transporter
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I can make the poll multiple choice, but I don't know what will happen to the existing votes. Want me to go ahead? How many options would you like per voter?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

I voted for the mandatory view of Earth. As the station is on a low orbit you would only see a tiny fraction of the Earth's surface from a window. Of course, HannerDad may have a panoramic view from his living room, but even then you would need a fish-eye lense to fit all of Earth into a single pic. This image gives an idea of the scale.

But some toon physics will probably also be seen. Doesn't matter (much).
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2012, 02:41 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I changed it to 3 votes, with the option to change your vote for the people who'd already voted while it was single vote.  The votes were not reset.  Sound good?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?

Very, Voted the 1st, 3rd and 4th option :X

Anyway, I think Padma will be at the airport. OFCOURSE SHE WILL BE AT THE AIRPORT!

It's gonna be a scene!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I have to wonder if Hanners might be embellishing the truth abit.

Lemme throw this curve ball: HannerDad does live in a "space station." However, it's a special mockup of a "space station" in some warehouse in New Jersey. It would sorta explain why Hanners is OCD in cleaning; a "space station' would offer a clean environment to a serious OCD person, with heavy filtration systems, orderly organization, and so forth. 

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts

Lemme throw this curve ball: HannerDad does live in a "space station." However, it's a special mockup of a "space station" in some warehouse in New Jersey. It would sorta explain why Hanners is OCD in cleaning; a "space station' would offer a clean environment to a serious OCD person, with heavy filtration systems, orderly organization, and so forth. 

Honestly this is pretty rational in thought, even in QCs alternate universe it would still be quite expensive to send 2 people who have no experience or training into space. The special mockup would make a whole bunch of sense, however I'm sure if they are going to space than I'm sure Jeph will have a good explanation as to how it will work.
"I have the weirdest friends."

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

What we haven't been told is that by "short notice", Hanners means they'll only have to do 12 months of intensive training first, for his birthday NEXT year...  :-D

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Couldn't they just hitch a ride on the space owls?

Or take a leaf out of Doctor Dolittle's book and fly there on the back of a giant moth.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Owls are only good for light strike missions on federal agents who are afraid of coffee shop owners. They don't have the heavy-lift capacity.

We had some fun in an earlier thread talking about space elevators, I think.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Experience is an issue for everyone who hasn't been to space before and the only way to get it is to go so it's kind of a wash. Training, though, is an interesting issue; most astronaut training is in spacecraft operations so you can skip a hell of a lot of it if you expect people to just be passengers and not push buttons. Still, though, they will need to know what to expect from low or microgravity and especially how to move and more importantly stop in freefall.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marigold will want to invite Momo, who would invite herself except for the social protocol database.

In which case, it will be very difficult to stop Marten from bring his own AnthroPC.

I don't want to think about that too much.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It would be very difficult if Marten wanted to bring Pintsize.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Honestly this is pretty rational in thought, even in QCs alternate universe it would still be quite expensive to send 2 people who have no experience or training into space. The special mockup would make a whole bunch of sense, however I'm sure if they are going to space than I'm sure Jeph will have a good explanation as to how it will work.

I base my speculation on the fact that we have several analogues here on earth already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARS-500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I don't think cost would be an issue, actually. From what's to be understood, Hanner's dad is wealthy as all getout, if he can afford to have his own space station.

On the suggestion of it being in a warehouse somewhere, Hanners would have to be unaware of it. She points the station out overhead to Sven on their date here: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1768

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Didn't Jeph say something about Hannelore being in space and being crazy instead of going to college? I can't find it in his Tumblr.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

He owns a Raptor

The Station is actually the Galactica.
James The Kugai 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

So would HannerDad be Adama, Lee, Tigh, Doc Cottle or "No more Mr.Nice Gaius" Baltar?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce

That's "Doctor Nice Gaius".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I changed it to 3 votes, with the option to change your vote for the people who'd already voted while it was single vote.  The votes were not reset.  Sound good?

Sounds good.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They do sound fun!  Also, I love when Jeph draws someone mid-drop.  I'm not quite sure why, it just gets to me.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I picked the never-seeing-Hannerdad angle. Cause so far this storyline is sorely missing a pitfall. And in QC, there's always about two pitfalls.
In the Tai's Party arc, Dora went on a date (before showing up to the party anyway), and then Tai was too shy (or perhaps wise) to be as forward as she might have been.
When Steve started going out with Cosette, they got interrupted at inopportune moments, twice. On the same night.
Doing battle with the VespAvenger, Marten tried and rather comically failed to do anything useful, despite his efforts.
Sven did manage to take Hannelore on a date without anything untoward happening... unless you count managing to say the exact wrong thing to her, twice.
When Dora and Marten first got together, Dora spent much of the next day worrying about how she had hurt Faye.
Marigold trying to deal with her feelings for Angus took a very long time, with many a faux-pas and awkward situation along the way.

What I'm trying to say here is that I think deliberately making things not that easy is a large part of Jeph's writing style, and I'm kind of nervous about what the pitfalls will be here. Especially if it leads to disappointment regarding the whole "Spaaaaaaaace!!" aspect of the arc, which I wouldn't put past him. :psy:

EDIT- Oh, and I can guess from the comic that just appeared that this week will not actually be about going to space: it'll be about everyone talking about how lucky Marten and Marigold are for having the opportunity to go to space. :P

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

The book Packing For Mars has some material on sex in zero gravity conditions.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Hmmmmm

If this keeps up, they'll need a Federation Shuttle to take everyone up.  :D

@Jeph, I don't think any of the current and previous Astronauts being able to answer your question in either the positive or negative as NASA, ESA and the Russian Space Agency actively discourage such 'Experimentation' in that direction.
James The Kugai 

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Really? Spoilsports. Though I'm sure there's actually a good reason for it.  :-P

I'm kinda surprised Tai just believes Marten's excuse. I guess in the QC-verse space travel is much easier than it is for us. I mean, obviously since Hannerdad lives there, but I thought he was just an exception for being a filthy-rich genius.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

I wonder how many of the Apollo Command Module Pilots experimented with zero-g self gratification while orbiting the far side of the Moon all by themselves, completely cut off from all of humanity...

It's really the only way to be sure you won't be interrupted!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

"Commander, this is Houston... what the hell...??"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ilikefishfood

• Plantmonster

Well the 'trajectory' (pun intended) of this conversation sent me scrambling to find out all I could about having sex in space.  

If you're curious too, these are the best two articles I could come up with *cough* HERE and HERE.

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥

I'm guessing HannerDad might be a cross between Christopher Lloyd and Richard Branson.

No, not 'Back to the Future' Christopher Lloyd, more along the lines of 'Suburban Commando' ("I WAS FROZEN TODAY!") Christopher Lloyd. Doc Brown had some light hearted moments, and had a soft spots for friends and loved ones deep down. HannerDad has shown to be more focused on his work more than much else in his life.
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Really? Spoilsports. Though I'm sure there's actually a good reason for it.  :-P

Zero-G sperm. It would get everywhere.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Two words: Flesh. Light.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Based on Tai's reaction, maybe space travel is readily available to civilians, just not common.

I'm curious about zero-g sexy shenanigans now. I was before but even more so now.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

So would HannerDad be Adama, Lee, Tigh, Doc Cottle or "No more Mr.Nice Gaius" Baltar?

Of the characters, Baltar.  I mean Hannerdad is a scientist, the others are military men.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

ZBixby

• Emoticontraindication
  • Zombie Jesus ate my Peanuts

Is it just me or is Marten's shirt gradually turning less blue and more light greyish? Maybe a good example of how old it is and how much it has been washed?
"I have the weirdest friends."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Of the characters, Baltar.  I mean Hannerdad is a scientist, the others are military men.

And Doc Cottle wouldn't abandon a daughter, I think.

Imagining the kind of dad Baltar would be would make me respect Hanners considerably and maybe have a little sympathy for Beatrice. Unless she's a Six.
QCSix?
 "Are you alive? Not that I give a sh!t."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well the 'trajectory' (pun intended) of this conversation sent me scrambling to find out all I could about having sex in space.  

If you're curious too, these are the best two articles I could come up with *cough* HERE and HERE.

There's this as well.
Also, I highly recommend astronaut Mike Mullane's book "Riding Rockets." His idea of The Right Stuff is much different from that of Tom Wolfe. Mullane's book and Mike Collins's "Carrying the Fire" are, for my money, the best of the astronaut memoirs. (Collins was one of the guys all by his lonesome on the far side of the moon. He addresses the topic at, er, hand in another book, "Liftoff!")

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Is it just me or is Marten's shirt gradually turning less blue and more light greyish? Maybe a good example of how old it is and how much it has been washed?

Well, it is approximately six to eight years old, depending on how long you believe has elapsed since strip #1.
Just another Joe like 46

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

As for preparation/training Virgin Galactic say they will be doing 3 days of training for anyone on their flights.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/overview/training/

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Our space travellers are tweeting about their packing.

In which we learn:

Marten has only one pair of shoes
Marigold has only one pair of socks (j/k)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference

I love the title of today's comic.

I bet there are some astronauts who can confirm it. I mean, sure, NASA claims that no one has ever had sex in space, but even if they are telling the truth, surely someone has made out in space. I mean, you're in incredibly close quarters for weeks at a time -- you're either gonna make out or kill each other. And, so far, no one has been murdered in space (that we know of).

Interlude

• Plantmonster

Tai probably knows that Hannelore's dad lives in space, so you can't really judge how common space travel is for the common citizen based on her reaction.

I'm excited about this story arc. Even if there are "pitfalls," I think it will have a lot of fun moments! And it's good to see Marten not being too mopey. Plus more Hannelore. It's been a while since we've really focused on characters other than Marten and Padma. Yay!

Precipice

• Not quite a lurker

There's this as well.

And this filk song.

(EDIT:) And this one.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm guessing HannerDad might be a cross between Christopher Lloyd and Richard Branson.

No, not 'Back to the Future' Christopher Lloyd, more along the lines of 'Suburban Commando' ("I WAS FROZEN TODAY!") Christopher Lloyd. Doc Brown had some light hearted moments, and had a soft spots for friends and loved ones deep down. HannerDad has shown to be more focused on his work more than much else in his life.

For some reason I'm thinking Dr. Lizardo from Buckaroo Banzai...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

Our space travellers are tweeting about their packing.

In which we learn:

Marten has only one pair of shoes
Marigold has only one pair of socks (j/k)

It's always hilarious reading the character tweets, but slightly odd because it is so easy to forget they aren't real and it's all just Jeph. Either Jeph is amazing at creating realistic characters and interaction, or he's a raving schizo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up