THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 00:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: January 23 tornado  (Read 2222 times)

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
January 23 tornado
« on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:55 »

Our neighborhood got hit by a tornado on Monday. Out of the 16 houses on our street, ours is one of four that won't have to be bulldozed and rebuilt. Ryan grew up in this neighborhood and knows all the neighbors because he grew up with their kids, so for him, even though our house is alright, this is still a little like losing his home. Amazingly, there were very few injuries, and I've been hearing that there were only 2 fatalities, which is amazing for a 4:30am tornado.

We're doing alright, just badly shaken. We had almost no warning between the time the power went out (which woke us up) and the time it hit us. Ryan grabbed Mackenzie and I think we were only halfway down the stairs by the time it was all over. I've never been scared for my life before; we weren't sure we were going to survive it. If the tornado had hit our house directly, we wouldn't have. It's a sickening feeling, and looking out at our neighborhood just makes our stomachs drop.

They got our power back on Wednesday night, which is insanely fast because the power company told us there was only one pole left standing in our neighborhood, and even the trunk lines on the ridge near us were taken out. Everyone moved so fast in getting things cleaned up. Still a lot of work to do.

Anyway, we got a bunch of pics. http://imgur.com/a/4eYC9

This is from the same storm, not sure which neighborhood though... would have been close by, Clay is maybe a mile from us.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: January 23 tornado
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:47 »

Holy shit. I'm glad that you're OK. Anything we can do to be helpful?
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:55 »

Thanks. Honestly, we're in really good shape right now. Ryan's uncle is a contractor and he's got connections with people in all fields, so our house will be fixed pretty soon. We had some water damage, and a tree branch made about a 7" hole in our ceiling in the kitchen, but other than the obvious roof damage and the damage to our sheds, that's it. Just keep the other families in your thoughts; so many of them lost everything, or enough to be devastating anyway.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2012, 14:45 »

Wow!  Glad you're OK, as I'm sure you are.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up