THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 May 2024, 19:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was the MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK???

Space Station Hannerdad!
- 3 (1.8%)
Uh, were we supposed to pass it?
- 1 (0.6%)
Just one more orbit, I promise.
- 1 (0.6%)
BAD Spaceship!
- 14 (8.5%)
Docking completed...
- 2 (1.2%)
We just have to go up to the hub bridge...
- 0 (0%)
Race you there!
- 1 (0.6%)
Marten, no! You still have all your -
- 2 (1.2%)
- mass. BERF
- 15 (9.1%)
Hello, Station!
- 1 (0.6%)
Aren't there any, um, PEOPLE?
- 0 (0%)
128 researchers, security, and support personnel on board
- 0 (0%)
Station, Spaceship... notice a pattern
- 0 (0%)
Hannelore went through a descriptivist phase...
- 3 (1.8%)
I called my dad "Sceince Daddy" until I was 17.
- 12 (7.3%)
Notorious Marten Reed (ugh I hate MC Hammer)
- 3 (1.8%)
Lieutenant Potter.
- 5 (3%)
US Military takes their duties more seriously than they ought.
- 1 (0.6%)
Station, I'm just trying to do my job.
- 0 (0%)
Fine, fine... Okay... what?
- 0 (0%)
USAF Academy Graduation Party!
- 32 (19.5%)
Lots of solar interference all of a sudden.
- 3 (1.8%)
That was awful, Station!
- 0 (0%)
Don't apologize to me, go apologize to Lt. Potter. AND MEAN IT!
- 5 (3%)
And give Marigold a holo-pony!
- 38 (23.2%)
oh my god
- 22 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2111-2115 (Jan 30 - Feb 3, 2012) - QC in SPAAAAAAACE!!! Week 2!  (Read 72980 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Free fall is a way of experiencing zero G's.
I give up... :wink:
I didn't get this. I may be just dense, but do you feel that something essential has been left out? Like the fact that acceleration is always relative to some frame of reference? In fact we have...

Quote from: Einstein
Principle of equivalence: All effects of a uniform gravitational field are identical to the effects of a uniform acceleration of the coordinate system.

... that basically says that an observer confined to a small region (like the interior of a spaceship without windows) has no way of telling the difference between being in a gravitational field or being inside an accelerating rocket. Or (in the absence of such effects) lack of gravity is indistinguishable from free fall unless you can peek out of a window and make long range observations.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2012, 21:28 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

A. Smith

• Emoticontraindication
  • Amateur Cartographer

It never occurred to me until I read this update to consider the implications of zero gravity. Martin is completely weightless. Weight as a variable has been completely removed from the equation. His momentum is now due to his mass. This establishes mass and weight to be two separate variable when calculating momentum. Information that's relevant when designing any form of projectile. By nature of having set foot outside of our planets gravitational field we're now able to launch things with more precision. It probably also effected the development of things like aircrafts.

Not like I wasn't aware of the individual facts. I've just never connected them to eachother like that. I don't think I ever really realized how these things relate to eachother before.
Actually, not really. Weight is always irrelevant (and mass always the determining factor) when calculating momentum (and everything else, really), and we've known that since Isaac Newton back in the 17th century. Weight is entirely derivative of mass, as it is a function of mass and gravitational pull, and thus is involved directly in no physical equations - it's always the mass that matters.

Actually going into orbit didn't help us understand any new fundamental facts about physics that helped us make better aircraft or calculate better launch trajectories - although the billions/trillions spent in R&D to get there probably did.

Also, getting into orbit is not getting outside of earth's gravitational field. Even the moon isn't - otherwise it would just float away. Granted, on the moon, you're going to be more affected by the moon's own gravitational field, but Earth's is still there - and the moon is 1000 time further away from Earth then the ISS.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Today's title makes me very happy :D
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A staff of 128! There must be more than one shuttle for resupply.

Were there fewer people on the station when Hannelore was a kid? She acts a lot like someone who grew up in isolation, not like someone who grew up in a village.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I don't get Marigold's MC Hammer reference, but I only know one song by MC Hammer...

Also, 128 researchers, security and support staff who get wrapped up in their uties are not likely to be equipped to raise a child...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Station has the same mannerisms as Spaceship; presumably they are running the same kernel.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Station is slightly more organized enough to appear with pants on the first try.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

I don't get Marigold's MC Hammer reference, but I only know one song by MC Hammer...

Marten is rearranging a rap song by a different artist (the late Biggie Smalls).

Marigold knows as much about rap as you do, and only slightly less than me.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Ah.  A joke.  I see...

So cute that daddy let li'l Hanners name the AI's...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Surely all the AIs treat Hannelore as their "Little Miss". ripping off Asimov's Bicentennial Man
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Station is slightly more organized enough to appear with pants on the first try.
Spaceship could've just told Station via wireless. (I am all for the name-versions of those nouns with capital first letters, btw.)

Or Station has much more regular contact with humans that expect it him to follow protocol about how not to unwillingly present your holodong. (This has potential to be a meme, btw.)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I didn't get this. I may be just dense, but do you feel that something essential has been left out?
I was giving up on people misdescribing the environment in Earth orbit as "zero g". The International Space Station's orbit ranges from roughly 320-400km above ground level, for example, and gravity up there is still about 90% of that on the Earth's surface. Earth's gravity holds the Moon in its orbit; you certainly don't escape it in measly LEO. Edit: Apologies to A.Smith. I didn't notice he'd made the same point earlier.

Station has the same mannerisms as Spaceship; presumably they are running the same kernel.
There are subtle differences. I suspect Station has known Hanners since early childhood, and is on first-name terms with her like an old family retainer. Spaceship, by contrast, called her Miss. Ellicott-Chatham like an employee. I also notice that Station's avatar does not wear the same "badge" on his "shirt" as Spaceship, so it was presumably pilot's wings. Pilots will always be pilots, even AI ones.  :laugh:

Also, 128 researchers, security and support staff who get wrapped up in their duties are not likely to be equipped to raise a child...
Especially if they're spread over 3 or 4 shifts and working in places you wouldn't want a child wandering about.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2012, 01:17 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

she's what, 22 now i think? which would make her descriptive phase about 13 years ago. i could see station being in orbit that long easily, but i don't know if i'd want to go to orbit & back in a 13 year old spaceship.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

The Space Shuttles were all around 20 years old when they were retired.

Discovery was 27, Atlantis was 26 and Endeavor was the baby of the fleet at 19.

Most jet airliners have a service life of 15-20 years, otherwise they wouldn't be economical to build.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

A staff of 128! There must be more than one shuttle for resupply.

Were there fewer people on the station when Hannelore was a kid? She acts a lot like someone who grew up in isolation, not like someone who grew up in a village.

Here's what Hanners says about her upbringing. Just because people are around doesn't mean they all have time for you, especially in such an environment. When she was with her mother, she was pawned off to nannies so there it depends how many there were, how they treated Hanners and if he mother didn't regularly fire them so Hanners could actually develop a bond with any one of them.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Hah! That last panel reminds me! ... where is dem presentations and 3D models?  :-D

And also, they forgot to bring a male okapi (or Elliot).
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2012, 02:30 by Soulsynger »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

128, huh? *jumps to conclusions* Wonder if Hannerdad has some kind of OCD regarding binary numbers.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

MandyPandy

Signed up cuz I wanted to post about today's comic.

That rap is by Biggie(rip) not MC Hammer lol

Earin

• Plantmonster

If Martin hit his face, what happens when you get a nose bleed in zero gravity?? Does it just shoot out every heartbeat? Does it matter if you tilt your head back? or forward?

Since there's no gravity to move it downwards, and the blood still starts out in contact with your nose, your nose probably just slowly fills up with blood. Until your exhalation blows little globules of it around, anyway.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Also, 128 researchers, security and support staff who get wrapped up in their uties are not likely to be equipped to raise a child...

She got the wrapper wrong (she thinks Marten's singing MC Hammer, when he's really singing Notorious B.I.G.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math

She got the wrapper wrong (she thinks Marten's singing MC Hammer, when he's really singing Notorious B.I.G.)

I totally thought, "That's not MC Hammer! That's the Notorious B.I.G.!" for a split second before I realized Jeph did that to me on purpose. Good one, lol.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I got the wrapper wrong once. Thought I was buying unsalted butter when the wrapper clearly said it was salted. Blurgh. I believe the technical psychological term for this is "brain fart."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

"Science Daddy" is a lot better than "Neglectful Father." My parents had Hannermom's philosophy on child rearing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Even nerdy people do recreation, and a cute little girl would trigger nurturing instincts. She'd wind up pretty strange, but not with social phobia.

Sitnspin, Eep. Something tells me you didn't get the best nannies a billionaire could buy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

i wish my dad was a scientist so i could call him 'science daddy'

ByronOrpheus

• Not quite a lurker

Station was named during Hannelore's Descriptivist phase? How disappointing. I figured that she was a big fan of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Hmmmmm

I wonder if Hannerdad looks like Peter Cullen?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

get wrapped up in their
She got the wrapper wrong

Truth: it was a typo.

Also, a confession: I have red text turned off.
Just another Joe like 46

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

I got the wrapper wrong once. Thought I was buying unsalted butter when the wrapper clearly said it was salted. Blurgh. I believe the technical psychological term for this is "brain fart."
"Cerebral flatulence" works for me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I honestly can't imagine why one would want to do that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The station AI avatar looks kinda like a cheerful, better-fed Marten. Wonder if Hanners ever sent photos. Or, y'know, samples.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

The Space Shuttles were all around 20 years old when they were retired.
Discovery was 27, Atlantis was 26 and Endeavor was the baby of the fleet at 19.
Most jet airliners have a service life of 15-20 years, otherwise they wouldn't be economical to build.

Plus, it's probably more about the number of takeoff/compression/decompression/reentry/landing cycles than how actually old the ship is... Hannerdad can probably afford ridiculously meticulous maintenance, and there's an onboard AI to tell them which parts to look at.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I honestly can't imagine why one would want to do that.
One word: Annoying.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't know, I kind of like how it takes away the risk of being ninja'd.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Sitnspin, Eep. Something tells me you didn't get the best nannies a billionaire could buy.

They did well enough, I suppose. After a certain point, increased money can't do much better as far as non-parental care givers go.  I was mostly just left to my own devices. I went through a pretty rough patch in my teens and early 20s, but I didn't turn into a social cripple, like Hanners, at least. Just your usual abandonment and emotional intimacy issues. Plus some other neurochemical disorders and a spattering of PTSD not directly related to their parenting styles.

My gf, on the other hand, got "Science Daddy" and she turned out awesome.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The AIs in the station and the ship may be older than their respective hardware incarnations.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The asymmetry of Lt. Potter's collar is presumably deliberate, but irritates me every time I notice it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

The asymmetry of Lt. Potter's collar is presumably deliberate, but irritates me every time I notice it.

I suspect if she pulled the zip up fully it would look better.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

What's worse than Facebook? Facebook with AI and a sense of humour.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

I suspect if she pulled the zip up fully it would look better.

She presumably ran a ways to get to the group; shes a bit disheveled.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Man, if I were Marigold or Marten, I'd be IMMENSELY freaked out by an A.I. casually slipping into conversation the fact that it SCANNED me DOWN to the MOLECULAR LEVEL... holy mother of something thats like the epitome of psi~ing!
(Personal space invading)

Also, so far I like that this has been one of the most skin-happy - not to say "erotic" - story-arcs as of yet. (second only of course to the "happy-Padma-week").
We got to see holodong and Lieutenant Uninhibited in underwear. What next? °o
This is frightening.

I can't stand uneven collars. Or when they stand up in the back. Eugh. I obsissevly straighten those. (On occasion its actualy a nice ice-breaking device.)

Warning - while you were typing 2 other guys were typing faster than you. HURRY THE FUCK UP, SLOWPOKE!

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

wow, station/s a bit of a dick

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

wow, station/s a bit of a dick

Pretty much. Don't envy the Lt. at all. (Actually, I don't envy any lieutenant.) Has to enforce a rule she acknowledges makes no sense and gets to be the one out-bullied for it.
Got a TSA screener in the family; she was "federalized" from her private-security company screening job after 9-11. And no, she doesn't particularly want to touch, see or think about your junk.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Okay, so I watched Starship Troopers the other day, and now the moment I saw Lieutenant Potter I expected to see giant arachnids come out of somewhere.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2012, 05:32 by TinPenguin »

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU

I feel great sympathy for the lieutenant, though I had initially thought the grad party photo was meant to be from some cheesecake calendar she posed for while in school. On a side note the plush winslow is adorable.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Presumably the WO has already spoken to her about her dress and deportment - and will speak to the Maj if she hasn't corrected the problem next time they meet.

And as to the photo - looks like a lot of course "smokers" and university parties I remember.

But yeah, she's drawn a real interesting posting location, but a really redundant position.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

So...is Lt Potter single?  Just curious...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

Hmmmmm

I wonder if Hannerdad looks like Peter Cullen?

Dunno about Hanners', but mine does.

Got a TSA screener in the family; she was "federalized" from her private-security company screening job after 9-11. And no, she doesn't particularly want to touch, see or think about your junk.

Are you sure? Because I've been told my junk is amazing.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So...is Lt Potter single?  Just curious...
NO SHIPPING.

(ahem)

Sorry, wanted to nip it in the bud.

Anyways...

I suspect that (given we actually get to see his face) we've already seen Dr./Mr. JEC. It's been noted that Spaceship and Station look somewhat alike... and who, of course, would not be too vainglorious to put his own likeness on that of holographic images he created for AI's?
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up