THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird dreams you've had  (Read 347976 times)

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Weird dreams you've had
« Reply #800 on: 05 Aug 2013, 09:32 »

Last night I had a dream I was touring a building with a group of friends from school.  I think it was one guy's former apartment maybe? but it was ridiculously big and decorated like it was from the 70's. After the tour we were all hanging out, and I ran into this girl (who I slept with in real life) on a couch going through my school bag.  She was looking through all my papers and scolded me for not having done all my readings or something, and I confronted her for going through my bag.  I was pissed, like shouting at her that this was a violation of my privacy, and what is wrong with her.  She starts crying and telling me she is in love with me, and was looking for proof I love her too.  I told her she was infatuated, she didn't know me enough to love me.  I am rage crying at this point, and I grab all my stuff and leave the building. 

Where ever I am I hear a scanner call about a fire at the building, and so I run back.  I get there and there is a courtyard surrounded by balconies which have fire escapes, but they are screened in and the doors to the stairs are all locked.  There are people on a lot of them including a guy from school who sees me and starts screaming for me to help.  Begging me to come get him.  But the fire department is there, and they won't let me help, but they are not helping either, just plotting about tactics when all the need to do is cut the screens with a box cutter to let the people out. 

I woke up here, but with the vivid memory of his screaming face and the anxiety of being unable to help him. 

I am made more upset because this is the same guy from the last dream posted here.  He has been in half of my dreams lately (though he is usually just a background character) and I really wish my subconscious were not so focused on him.

Ev4n:  I don't have set dream maps per se, but the physical spaces are usually an important part of the dream.  The theme of exploring a house or other building is frequent for me and I can usually draw a map of where I was when I wake.  The room layouts and how they connect and the *feeling* of each room seems to be the purpose of the dream sometimes.  I occasionally have dreams which take place in a city or town, and am aware that I have had a dream in a different part of the same town previously, like I will past a store and know that's the store where X happened, with X being the content of another dream.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #801 on: 06 Aug 2013, 13:53 »

Yes, that sounds SUPER familiar.

I really, really love the house exploring dreams.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #802 on: 08 Aug 2013, 21:23 »

I had a dream the other night that I was Batman.  I didn't wear a mask, but I spoke in that Christian Bale throat cancer voice and people reacted with, "Oh, he's Batman!  Leave him be."

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #803 on: 09 Aug 2013, 09:40 »

Recent dream:
sitting at the kitchen table with my family.
but the woman sitting in my wife's spot, is not my wife.
so I ask her who she is.
"I'm your wife"
no, you are not.  I do not recall EVER seeing this woman before.  so who are you?
"I'm the mother of your children"
no, you are not.
This goes round and round.  We all just keep eating.
As we're talking and eating, the kitchen/dining room keeps changing from house to house that I've owned or lived in before.  My current house, house of 2001, house of 1997, my parents house, my childhood house, etc...
I start to think that I ought to be massively FULL from eating.
then I woke up.

Psychoanalize that shit.  It beats the heck out of me.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #804 on: 09 Aug 2013, 11:44 »

If anyone follows Zinnia Jones they may have seen a couple Anon asks that look very familiar.

Had a dream I was in a waterpark with Zinnia Jones and we were arguing about which water slides to go on. I forgot most of the dream almost instantly but the image of us carrying a giant watertube thing has stuck in my head the last couple days.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #805 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:44 »

Don't follow Zinnia but she seems pretty awesome.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #806 on: 09 Aug 2013, 14:58 »

Psychoanalize that shit.  It beats the heck out of me.
Okay, here you go:

• You seek to understand unexplained events in your life
  • You disbelieve lies when they are obviously false
  • You have strong memories of all of the houses you have lived in
  • You recognise discrepancies between external actions and internal sensations, i.e. when eating does not make you full

Does that make it more clear?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Grognard

« Reply #807 on: 10 Aug 2013, 07:40 »

thanks.

I'm sorta wondering why this one dream memory has stuck with me.
Dreams usually fade.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Papersatan

« Reply #808 on: 10 Aug 2013, 07:58 »

As someone who frequently remembers their dreams, I'm gonna say it's probably because of when you woke up relative to the dream, and that when you woke up you replayed it in your head.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #809 on: 10 Aug 2013, 08:08 »

Apparently you remember them better if you wake up during REM.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #810 on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:12 »

I'm pretty sure I just had dreams about being unable to sleep all night. I remember looking at my phone at 3am... but my phone was not in the bedroom. Ugh why is this even a thing? I can't tell if I'm tired or just think I should be tired.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Grognard

« Reply #811 on: 12 Aug 2013, 08:42 »

TERRIFYING DREAM early Sunday morning.
I have NO clue on what it was about; but I went from totally cold sleep to full on adrenaline rush of FIGHT TIME.
at 0200, I was checking the house with my maglite and taser.
Got dressed, and did a full patrol of my property and outbuildings.
I have no idea what triggered it.
I was just woke up at Maximum Red Alert.
After I did my checks, I tried going back to bed,  but I was wired and sleepless until about 0500.

Not.fun.

mtmerrick

« Reply #812 on: 12 Aug 2013, 17:30 »

my dream last night was odd - i wasn’t actually in it. it was as if i was watching everything from an out-of-body experience, which is quite unusual for my dreams. (i don’t know how common that is in the world, but... *shrugs*)

it started in a generic high school gym. a bunch of kids got into a “brawl” which was like a massive free-for-all fistfight, except fun, lighthearted, and no one was really going to get hurt. people flooded in from all throughout the school to come take part. the overwhelming feeling was again, fun, not fight, even though it WAS a massive fistfight. my out-of-body self zeroes in on one specific person, a completely average girl, slightly on the plump side. There was literally nothing remarkable about this girl (which at the time was remarkable in itself). But, my  out-of-body-observer dream self suddenly had access to her thoughts. she was working her way to the exit door, against large amounts of people flooding in. even though she wanted to take part in the brawl, she would only do so by slapping a butt, and she was looking for “the perfect butt”. by the time she’s exiting the room she sees a girl (who her brain says is a cheerleader) who i would describe as “hot, for a blonde”. She desperately wants to smack that butt, but she’s torn, because it would be “too much like a movie” what the hell that means.

she winds up not doing it, getting more and more sad about it as she walks over to the auditorium. as she travels there she slowly morphs into my ex. There’s a talent show being held in the auditorium, so she goes backstage to prepare. she strips naked, starts fingering herself, and explains to her (IRL) fiance that she’s going to be showing off bdsm with the stuff i bought her. she then realizes i didn’t buy her any bsdm stuff for the show, so she can’t go on, she she just sits there, curled up naked and horny, crying. her fiance then says he’ll go on in her place, and strips down to his underwear. now, he’s a big guy IRL but he was downright disgusting in the dream - rolls and rolls of fat, body hair growing out of weird places, and visible cartoony stench wafts. he walks onstage with the cardboard box of the stuff my ex DID bring (that she could have used to do her show anyways, my subconscious points out) under his left arm, a angry/depressed look in his eyes. he rummages in the box with his right hand, pulls out an arrow (a real arrow, like you’d see used for medieval archery) raises it over his head, and stabs it through his right manboob, , the arrowhead exiting through his nipple, and there’s a pretty decent amount of blood. the scene zooms in on his eyes, and they get really, really angry (i realize, at ME) and start glowing red.

i wake up.

what.
the.
fuck.

(i also want to point out i don't know this man but have never held any ill will towards him, i haven't really talked to my ex in quite some time - nothing meaningful in a long time, and i have absolutely zero feelings for her anymore)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #813 on: 13 Aug 2013, 03:47 »

So it's apparently dream of your ex -day today? I dreamed about my ex too but I'm failing to remember it properly.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #814 on: 13 Aug 2013, 09:36 »

So I had a dream last night that my place had been burglarized, but as far as I could tell, only my TV had been stolen, though the thieves had made a mess of my place looking for anything else to steal.  I freaked out at first when I couldn't find my DD 214 (a complete record of one's military service history) since it had been out while I was reorganizing my folders a couple days ago, but I found it under the counter, fortunately.  However, the thing that really pissed me off was that they had taken the liberty of "playing" with my sword collection and notching and dinging up their edges beyond the point of repair.

So it's apparently dream of your ex -day today? I dreamed about my ex too but I'm failing to remember it properly.
I've had several dreams about my ex over the last 17 months.  The most recent one was one where she kept appearing in my vicinity and either trying to interact with me or distract me.  Even when I realized what was happening and made efforts to avoid her or not walk in the same general direction she was going, as soon as I turned around, there she was again.

Yes, I realize that it's my subconscious saying that as much as I put her out of my mind, she still lurks just under the surface and I still have distant feelings for her, but still...
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #815 on: 13 Aug 2013, 17:43 »

I dreamed a dream of days gone by....

*smacks self* No! Bad GM! The forum is not a musical! Especially not one set in France during one of the various revolutions.

Any way I dreamed of peace and serenity last night. It was odd as usually that attaches itself to an individual, and I'm dreaming about them. Usually the most important female in my life at that point in time. No anchor this time... well no solid one... I dunno.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #816 on: 14 Aug 2013, 04:03 »

Yes, I realize that it's my subconscious saying that as much as I put her out of my mind, she still lurks just under the surface and I still have distant feelings for her, but still...
Nice try, but no, that's not how it works.  :roll:
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #817 on: 14 Aug 2013, 10:44 »

No, it's far too sensible.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Grognard

« Reply #818 on: 14 Aug 2013, 10:49 »

Sounds like you may have left the TV on, and the channels were flipping between Disney's "High School Musical" and Penthouse Magazine.

My wife leaves the TV on quite a bit, and that is when I usually have weird dreams.  But now, I find myself consciously realizing that the TV is on, and just iignoring the dream.

I've been told that most dreams are my subconscious sorting and defragging and reorganizing memories. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #819 on: 14 Aug 2013, 18:12 »

That wouldn't explain my dream last night about emigrating to Greenland.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #820 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:06 »

I had an interesting dream.

I was living in an apartment with three others, two women and one guy. One of the women was such a fox, super fit, brunette, and amazing boobs. She was also significantly older than me, if I remember properly. The other woman was more my age, and the other guys name I don't remember.

So I'm sitting with my roommates in the salon, the fox and I share the sofa. We're having a very good time and are laughing loudly. Then the other guy asks other girl something along the lines of "if I asked you now, would you have sex with me?" and girl is just "I don't know, depends on how you ask", giggly and obviously into him. Instead of being assertive, he just starts discussing the best ways of asking a girl out and I get bored of watching him making a fool out of himself.

So I turn to the fox and ask her "do you want to sleep with me?" and cockily raise an eyebrow. She smiles a deep smile, and we move closer. The others just end up watching us. She starts stroking my face while I put my hand through her hair, both fully aware that there was no kind of sexual attraction towards each other before and both surprised at how into each other we are now. We kiss and we laugh at how beautiful it is.

Then she pushes me on my back and moves on top of me (I cringe as the word "mount" comes to mind). We kiss some more, passionately, I bite her lip and move my hands under her shirt (oh my god her dream boobs were so awesome), all the while still immensely amused at how great it all goes and how unexpected it all is.

Then she proceeds to unbutton my pants, and something bad happens. See, dream-me apparently has the same physique that meatspace-me has. And meatspace-me has gained quite a lot of weight recently and has problems getting in his pants. So when fox unbuttons my pants, there's a "whobb", and my belly pops out. I'm also wearing a bright red sport boxer that is not proportionately filled, if you get my meaning. And fox is shocked, because she wasn't expecting it.

And she starts to move away. The shock of me being a wee bit on the chubby side apparently took away all of the passion we felt moments ago. She sits on top of me and just doesn't know what to do. I awkwardly button my pants again and stand up, leaving the room. I overhear a conversation between fox and other girl, who is now called Helen. Helen is a bit pissed at fox for treating me that way. She asks what the hell Fox was thinking and she responds "I don't know, I was in such a mood but I didn't expect him to be so chubby." She speaks hurriedly and quiet, as not to let me hear, but it's my dream and I overhear her anyways. I close the door to my room and go to sleep.

Next day I am on some sort of a university campus and going my own way. I see Helen and Fox talking and seeing me, but instead of approaching them I turn around and go somewhere else. Fox is visibly shaken and Helen looks uncomfortable. I eat outwards that night and swiftly make for my room when I return home.

The next day I'm back at the campus. I'm entering a staircase and am about to ascend when Helen comes from upstairs and says "there you are". She proceeds to say that Fox didn't mean it the way it sounded, but I say "no, it's fine, she's right.", I'm extremely uncomfortable being confronted with it so unexpectedly. Especially since Fox is now ascending the staircase as well. I just don't know what to do. Fox says "I'm so sorry for what happened that night", but I keep saying "you don't have to be. I need to get thinner again." Helen puts her hands on my shoulders, looks into my eyes and says "We love you no matter how you look." and I respond "but I'll try to look better in the future." Then Fox hugs me from behind and Helen proceeds to kiss me. We have a very intense make out session in the stairway.

It ends with us deciding to throw other dude out of our apartment so we can get a bigger bed.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #821 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:45 »

I had a REM-sleep dream about zombies. I was in a hospital, and people were killing zombies by injecting them with healing elixir. Then a psychopathic woman arrived and said she would burn us all to death and enjoy watching us suffer, so I took that pleasure away from her by taking a butcher knife and cutting my own throat, smiling. But I tricked her, and I didn't lose enough blood to die, so I escaped on a horse.

The next thing I know, I'm on a bike, and with me is a person I've only just met but we've already become friends. We do some mad tricks, to the chagrin of some punks who are obviously much cooler than we are and think we have no right to be doing such mad tricks. This is all unspoken. I have no idea where we're going but eventually I find that I'm on my way to my hometown.

Later, I meet the former prime minister, and he meets some outrageous dare that I don't recall. Taking care to address him as the former prime minister, I tell him that he's bullshitted himself into a corner. I don't recall the rest.

Grognard

« Reply #822 on: 18 Aug 2013, 18:27 »

I'm going to say you have subconscious worries about ObamaCare.  :D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #823 on: 19 Aug 2013, 00:33 »

Not so likely in LTK's part of the world, I'd say.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #824 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:55 »

.....I had a dream last night that I was waking up and it was Sunday. Then, my alarm woke me up and I realized it was actually Monday.

I hate that kind of shit.  :-(
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #825 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:09 »

Well, I basically spent the whole saturday thinking that the day after would be Monday. Yesterday I knew it was Sunday. But today I woke up, thinking it'd be Monday, got up and thought "no wait, it's Sunday". I looked at QC and the fact that there wasn't a comic uploaded yet confirmed this thought. Then I looked on Shortpacked and noticed that there was a new Shortpacked comic. Then I noticed that the theoretical exam I was getting ready for was supposed to be on Monday, so today had to be Monday. I was confused.

And now I'm confused about English tenses.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #826 on: 19 Aug 2013, 11:27 »

So how does it work?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #827 on: 19 Aug 2013, 13:00 »

I dreamed a dream of days gone by....

*smacks self* No! Bad GM! The forum is not a musical! Especially not one set in France during one of the various revolutions.

Never feel guilty for referring to Les Miz. I saw that in London about 8 years ago, it was incredible and I would have cried if the emotional overload hadn't made it impossible for me to even fully process it.

the other night I had a dream where my lady came down from WA to see me. we went to SF and sold crack.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #828 on: 20 Aug 2013, 02:05 »

I was talking about a lady with a friend yesterday (more like today because it was past midnight). And no, I am not romantically interested in her.
I dreamt of her, except she was blonde, a different stature, and altogether different, and was teaching my class, whatever that was in my dream.

Now that I think about it, she looked like a mix of Luna Lovegood and Valdís.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #829 on: 20 Aug 2013, 04:25 »

...damn. Luna Lovegood and Valdis? Hot + Hot = daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

In other news:

So I had a really awesome/impressive dream last night, it was really weird. It followed me even though I woke up a few times over the course of the night, and a lot of it was in Japanese... like better Japanese then I know how to conciously speak. I was directing some sort of movie and a lot of it was interactions with the actors and staff outside of work. I was dating the lead actress and we'd occasionally invite one or two of the other actresses we both found cute on set home for a tryst. Some world travel, lead actress (forgeting the name now, the deep details were there, everyone had a name but they're fading quick... wait! Lead actress was Itsuko.) wanted to get married, I wasn't sure about that... last scene was a fade out on me walking to meet her with an engagement ring in my pocket.

Fuck. Can I go live that instead?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #830 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:00 »

I dreamed that I bought the new Mac Pro and I woke up paranoid about being broke.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #831 on: 26 Aug 2013, 04:10 »

Momo and I were teamed up working for a megacorporation in a not quite dystopian enough to be cyberpunk future slipping in and out of the net/matrix at will from our physical forms. There was a simultaneous matrix/meat space hook up. It was /hot/ as hell. Talk about mental stimulation.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #832 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:30 »

So how does it work?
Well, the dreaming brain has high amygdala activation and diminished frontal cortex activation, making dream experiences highly emotional but incoherent and bizarre. Given that memories of exes are likely to be emotionally charged, they're also likely to show up in dreams, and because your higher cognitive functions are asleep, you are unable to appraise what your true feelings and motivations are regarding the people in your life based on the experiences you have in your dreams.

I hope I'm not being too millitant in trying to abolish dream interpretation pseudo-psychology.  :angel:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #833 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:39 »

I dreamed I was eating mold cheese (is it called that way? You know, cheese with moldy blue bits?) and making sure my dad saw me eating it. I was all "look, pa! I'm finally doing it!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #834 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:42 »

moldy cheese, unless it's certain types of cheese which are supposed to look that way

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #835 on: 26 Aug 2013, 16:45 »

It's meant to be moldy

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #836 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:24 »

Blue cheese.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #837 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:30 »

Brie

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #838 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:34 »

Brie isn't moldy. Gorgonzola is, though. I hate all of the aforementioned cheeses.

Grognard

« Reply #839 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:34 »

recently dreamt that I spent several hours sitting at a campfire, smoking a massive cigar and drinking cheap moonshine with ACW soldiers.  Federals and Confederates.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #840 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:36 »

Unpasteurized Stilton (obscure "Chef" reference).
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #841 on: 27 Aug 2013, 00:11 »

ACW...had to think on that until I saw you mention "Federals and Confederates".  Never heard the Civil War called that.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #842 on: 27 Aug 2013, 05:03 »

More stair house layout.  Not really weird, so spoilered out for boredom relief.

(click to show/hide)

Papersatan

« Reply #843 on: 27 Aug 2013, 22:33 »

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night.  I fell asleep, and then woke up an hour later.  I had some heart palpitations, which is not rare for me, but occasionally leads to a mini anxiety attack where I am scared of falling asleep and dying, so I need to get up for a while until I calm down.  So I was on the sofa, and I fell asleep there with the lights on, and I woke up with sleep paralysis.

I have never had sleep paralysis, and it was terrifying.  I only had one eye opened, so I could only see half the room and I swore Stephen was standing just out of my view, so I tried to say something and I couldn't talk, and I tried to sit up and I couldn't move.  I started to feel panicked and I tried to scream, but nothing happened, I tried to roll off the sofa... nothing.  Luckily I knew what sleep paralysis was and my rational logic brain took over and reassured me this was sleep paralysis and I should just relax and it would pass, but the panic was unsettling enough that I had trouble falling asleep again.

When I did we had crazy thunder which woke me up again. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #844 on: 27 Aug 2013, 23:05 »

You want to talk weird? I had a dream in which I was reading the forum and read a post from Akima containing a mistake in English usage.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #845 on: 28 Aug 2013, 04:19 »

Dude you might want to see someone about that.

Grognard

« Reply #846 on: 28 Aug 2013, 12:27 »

ACW...had to think on that until I saw you mention "Federals and Confederates".  Never heard the Civil War called that.

American Civil War.
the legal name is "The War Between the States" but if I use that or "The War of Northern Aggression", people get weirded out.

technically, the ACW was the 3rd ACW.
1st was what Americans call "The French and Indian War"
2nd is commonly known as "the American Revolution"
in both above conflicts, Americans fought Americans and family fought family = Civil War.

but I digress.

I slept very well last night, and didn't have any dreams that I can recall.  :-D

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #847 on: 28 Aug 2013, 13:19 »

True story, I spent more time in school studying the French and Indian War than on the rest of history put together.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #848 on: 28 Aug 2013, 15:29 »

I spent more time studying Germany in the first half of the 20th century than anything else. It is actually ridiculous how little non-military British history we are taught. This country is 1000 years old and all we can talk about is what a bunch of men did in a 40 year period?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #849 on: 28 Aug 2013, 15:53 »

When I studied history, the world wars were too recent a memory; I did mainly from 1066 to 1661, and virtually nothing outside that period.

And, nearer the topic, for all that I remember, it might as well have been a dream!  I've retained more from reading Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Up