Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 16 Feb 2019, 09:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird dreams you've had  (Read 124513 times)

JoeCovenant

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Weird dreams you've had
« Reply #1300 on: 15 Nov 2018, 00:55 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often. I'm aware that this is not how people run while I'm doing it, but somehow it feels perfectly natural and much easier and faster than running on two legs, completely unlike the reality of running on your hands and feet. Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run? Is this the reason why it always seems like you're going through molasses when you run inside a dream? Does my Cretaceous-mammal-dream-brain not understand that humans run on two legs and not four, and when it tries to do the former it doesn't get anywhere?

Or am I secretly just a really smart dog?

I GET THAT!

Not terribly often, but often enough that it's a *thing*.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1301 on: 15 Nov 2018, 09:58 »

I've had dreams where running on all-fours (or all-eights), or brachiating through the trees like a monkey with prehensile tail and feet, or flying by flapping my wings, seemed perfectly normal and natural.  But those are not dreams where I occupied anything like human form.

LTK

« Reply #1302 on: 15 Nov 2018, 11:22 »

I've had dreams where running on all-fours (or all-eights), or brachiating through the trees like a monkey with prehensile tail and feet, or flying by flapping my wings, seemed perfectly normal and natural.  But those are not dreams where I occupied anything like human form.

Man, I wish I had shapeshifting dreams. Whenever I fly in my dreams I just am somehow able to with my own arms.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Case

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #1303 on: 15 Nov 2018, 12:21 »

Does anyone ever find themselves running on all fours in a dream? I have this often.

I've never had this dream - but a quick Google-search for 'dreaming of running on all fours' reveals that apparently, you're far from the only one (I get almost 4 million hits).

Do I have some ancestral quadruped motor patterns in my brain that tell me how to run?

Maybe? Perhaps Mother Nature got tired of writing specialized locomotion-code for primates time and again (arboreal primates, arboreal primates with prehensile tails, ...) whenever one of our cousins discovered yet another way of tumbling trough the landscape and just decided: "Fuck this - I'm writing a universal BIOS for the buggers now!

If the critters think they'll be happier with a super-sized neocortex and its energy-demands ... OhShit ... What did I do?"

:laugh:
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2018, 12:28 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you donít know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

cesium133

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #1304 on: Today at 07:02 »

Last night I forgot to turn the TV in the living room off before falling asleep. It was on a channel that only shows game shows. I ended up having a dream about being on a quiz show that was hosted by a lion at a zoo. The lion would occasionally interrupt the questions he was asking to snarl at a tiger in a neighboring cage. The answer to the question I remember him asking, "Where did the Wright Brothers make their first flight?", was "Kitty Hawk."  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up