THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 17:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK?

Dr. Bernadette Case
- 0 (0%)
Practicing medicine is fun and all
- 0 (0%)
Compared to LASERS? No Contest.
- 1 (2.3%)
This is my room!
- 0 (0%)
It's really, uh, minimal.
- 0 (0%)
Spend days adjusting bedsheets, curtains...
- 0 (0%)
And those were my FUNCTIONAL days.
- 0 (0%)
Wanna see pictures? I have a photo album!
- 1 (2.3%)
Dad? Dad? Hellooooo!
- 1 (2.3%)
Doctor John Ellicott-Chatham
- 7 (15.9%)
Not sure since the divorce.
- 1 (2.3%)
Can't rely on the AI for everything
- 1 (2.3%)
Lt. Potter's room
- 1 (2.3%)
"Friggin' A-hole AI..."
- 1 (2.3%)
AIM HIGH or ELSE
- 1 (2.3%)
I wanted to apologize...
- 0 (0%)
The doc's kid put you up to this.
- 0 (0%)
Some apology. Why don't you go fu-
- 0 (0%)
.76% of Ellicott-Chatham Technologies.
- 1 (2.3%)
Holdings worth US$4.6 million.
- 6 (13.6%)
Blink once/blink twice...
- 13 (29.5%)
Read it in an Alastair Reynolds novel.
- 0 (0%)
Ms. Farmer? Our head of security would like to have a word with you.
- 4 (9.1%)
Just come along quietly, Ms. Farmer.
- 3 (6.8%)
Wait, where'd Marigold go?
- 0 (0%)
Looking for the ladies' room.
- 2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2116-2120 (6-10 Feburary 2012) QC in SPAAAAAAACE! Week 3  (Read 70732 times)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

High School laser photos from Jeph's LiveJournal
And others here.

Please don't post them again. Zits scare me, and I don't mean the comic strip.

Also, figured at least Marigold would use a laser meme.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Related: I forget this part of my Space Lessons, but regardless of centripetal gravity, is it still a requirement to work out extensively to avoid significant body mass decay?

Well, that's true on Earth, so presumably it would be true under spin-simulated pseudogravity.

Hannelore is presumably getting a more varied diet planetside, but the one in space must have been as nutritious as science could make it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Hannelore is presumably getting a more varied diet planetside, but the one in space must have been as nutritious as science could make it.

So, when they have people that die on the space station, they make them into Soylent Green?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

With DS9, you have to watch first to last or you are in deep trouble in understanding what the hell is going on.
See, that's where we differ, since I find that to be a good thing.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

So, when they have people that die on the space station, they make them into Soylent Green?

Science can do better than that.  

But now all I can think of is Science Diet pet foods...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Over on Tumblr, Jeph answered a question about AI therapists by saying "You'll see".

This should be good.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I really like Dr. Case's design. She's got some jazzy hair.

Also interesting thing on Jeph's tumblr:

Hannelore said that the AIs in orbit couldn’t provide useful therapy. Why aren’t there AI therapists that Hannerdad could have installed? We know AIs can empathize with humans, care about them, and might feel safer to talk to than would another human (cf. Eliza). Therapists also need skills, but if those skills can be taught to a human, why not to an AI?

You’ll see.

Edit: On quick reflection, that could just be referring to Dr. Case.

Double edit: I didn't read this thread right at all. People referring to things before me. Bleh. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Related: I forget this part of my Space Lessons, but regardless of centripetal gravity, is it still a requirement to work out extensively to avoid significant body mass decay?
Well, that's true on Earth, so presumably it would be true under spin-simulated pseudogravity.
Depends on your definition of 'extensively'. If you're lying on your bed in a vegetative state, your muscles will probably atrophy just as fast on earth as in space, but those aren't normal operating conditions. Real gravity and pseudogravity are both sufficient to provide the opposing force that's necessary to maintain muscle strength and bone density. That's the real problem of zero gravity; your muscles and supportive tissues no longer have any work to do, so they downscale themselves to compensate. That has no chance of happening on earth, even if you never leave your house. But on a spinning space station, your heart and other muscles still have to work against the centrifugal force, so their integrity is maintained.

I still find it interesting that our muscles did not adapt to always work most efficiently at 1g, but that they adapt to changing circumstances, even though these particular circumstances haven't changed since our ancestral lungfish crawled out of the sea. It probably has to do with the overarching mechanism of muscles and bones growing in response to stress, in the same way lifting weights makes your biceps bigger, but it's still hard to believe that a colony of humans would easily adapt to a planet with 2g or 0,5g.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

By the way - I think we might have a general idea as to when Hanners left the station - about seven to eight years prior to today's comic.

It was her birthday way back during the Sven/Faye arc, and we'd have to assume she'd be around the gang for at least six-eight months. She stopped calling her dad "Science Daddy" at age 17, assumably when she left the station to go to school. (We never did get a college background for her - think she might have gotten an honorary degree or two from some colleges in the NE just because of who her dad was?) That's a gap of about five and a half years; if we assume that it's been a couple of years (at most) since Faye and Sven broke it off, that would mean Hannelore's been on Terra Firma for about seven and a half years (or so).

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I figured this was the birthday immediately after her previous birthday.  Time in this strip moves extremely slowly - I pretty much shat bricks when I realized this was Hannelore's second birthday in the strip.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's not. This is dad's birthday. We haven't seen her celebrate her own birthday since the Sven arc.
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Science can do better than that.  

But now all I can think of is Science Diet pet foods...

I think the next possible scenario is Resident Evil material in about 3 or 4 series of games.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hannelore started therapy at 11, and said she couldn't get good therapy in orbit, so that suggests (doesn't prove) that she came down when she was 11. She's 22 now.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...Aaaaaaaad comic.

"Wanna see pictures?"  CLASSIC Hannelore.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What's in store for us THIS Week?

HannerDad is a Holographic Avatar!    - 6 (11.5%)
Lt. Potter becomes Chekov's Love Interest!    - 7 (13.5%)
Hannelore doesn't want to leave.    - 1 (1.9%)
Marigold doesn't want to leave.    - 5 (9.6%)
MARTEN doesn't want to leave.    - 3 (5.8%)
All three return to Earth - to CHAOS!    - 3 (5.8%)
The Birthday Party - which is really funny!    - 9 (17.3%)
The Birthday Party - which is a real downer.    - 2 (3.8%)
Waffles.    - 1 (1.9%)
Something else.    - 3 (5.8%)
MOAR SPACE STATION!    - 12 (23.1%)

Total Voters: 52
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Aww, the holo-pony's gone :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Ruh-roh ... drama llama inc ?

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Regarding the poll, I think it'd be entirely too unfair to portray HannerDad as a hologram. For one thing, Hannelore or Beatrice would probably have mentioned this detail to Marten and Marigold, especially considering that Hannelore's met Marten's Dad (and Dad 2: Dad Harder), and would realize that having a holographic dad is not normal.
Also, it wouldn't make sense for a hologram to communicate by earpiece.

Attention-Deficit techno-wizard who pays somewhat less attention to his daughter than he should, however, I can believe. I don't think I'd like it that much, but I'd believe it.

(and I say attention deficit because that's the impression I get from someone who went from developing the first true AI computer to inventing robot hamsters.)

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

That's not a room...that's an operant conditioning chamber

Given Hannelore's parents, it almost follows they might do something like that with their daughter -- all in the name of science / efficiency / convenience / what-have-you.
SQUEEZE BOX

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Hmmmmmmm

Interesting

And by the end of next week, Marten and Marigold will discover that lower level on the Station where Dr. Chase and HannerDad keep the HannerClones in Cryonic Storage.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference

And by the end of next week, Marten and Marigold will discover that lower level on the Station where Dr. Chase and HannerDad keep the HannerClones in Cryonic Storage.

For some reason, while I find the idea of one Hannelore adorable, the idea of her in multiples is... frightening.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a Niner. I'll grant TOS special status as a historical artefact, but of the Star Trek series made since I was born, DS9 is definitely my favourite. Dense plot, shades of grey, interesting characters major and minor, very sexy Captain :-D, and the least amount of sexual objectification of women in all the ST TV series.

Hanners' old room is pretty grim.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2012, 22:48 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster

wouldn't someone with severe OCD know the difference between lay and lie? [/noonecares]

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Does OCD work that way?

Even Hannelore is scared by the idea she might have a clone. http://www.questionablecontent.net/1662
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

I understand why the room is completely unadorned or decorated in anyway, but why does everything have to be white? A completely white room would make me on edge about everything too; it would make me hyper-aware of tiny details and changes which is kind of a part of OCD.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Just for the record, my favorite Star Trek is TNG. Some of the worst but also some of the best actors on all Star Trek, and while the start of the series was rather weak, after that it took up speed.

TOS is kind of a mixed experience. Some episodes are very great, but others are extremely awful. There is not one weak actor and Spock is the best actor on all Star Trek.

TNG had a very extreme cast. Very good actors and very weak ones. And the series required two seasons before it actually really started.

DS9 was a weaker version of Babylon 5. Better sets and effects, but much weaker storyline. The only really good actor was Sisco, the rest was pretty meh, especially the doctor and that model. Also, unlike any other Star Trek, you cant jump in the middle of the show and just enjoy an episode on its own right. I dont really see why this is a big advantage and frankly I dont find the DS9 storylines that interesting.

VOY is the weakest of all Star Trek. Lots of weak acting and weak storylines. But Kes and Seven of Nine have been very fun, as has THE DOCTOR (no not that one), also B'Ellana Torres/Tom Paris and Naomi Wildman.

ENT was a bit mellow in the beginning. But the Cindi - arc in season 3 (mostly) is definitely the best piece of Star Trek, ever. Season 4 was also great. The end was very disappointing and abrupt. I cant help but feel that the casting could have been better. Not that any single actor was bad, just that the mix of actors was a bit onesided. Everyone was pretty super sensible, there was too much of that.
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Oh wait the bed and curtains are blue. Guess I should be more observant  :-P
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster

TOS is kind of a mixed experience. Some episodes are very great, but others are extremely awful. There is not one weak actor and Spock is the best actor on all Star Trek.

TNG had a very extreme cast. Very good actors and very weak ones. And the series required two seasons before it actually really started.

DS9 was a weaker version of Babylon 5. Better sets and effects, but much weaker storyline. The only really good actor was Sisco, the rest was pretty meh, especially the doctor and that model. Also, unlike any other Star Trek, you cant jump in the middle of the show and just enjoy an episode on its own right. I dont really see why this is a big advantage and frankly I dont find the DS9 storylines that interesting.

VOY is the weakest of all Star Trek. Lots of weak acting and weak storylines. But Kes and Seven of Nine have been very fun, as has THE DOCTOR (no not that one), also B'Ellana Torres/Tom Paris and Naomi Wildman.

ENT was a bit mellow in the beginning. But the Cindi - arc in season 3 (mostly) is definitely the best piece of Star Trek, ever. Season 4 was also great. The end was very disappointing and abrupt. I cant help but feel that the casting could have been better. Not that any single actor was bad, just that the mix of actors was a bit onesided. Everyone was pretty super sensible, there was too much of that.

YOU.

I like you.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Ha, Marigold said almost the same thing Marten said when he first entered Hannelore's flat. This story arc is so full of callbacks. :-D

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Heavy stuff. Her final transition from Station to Earth must've been a mess at first... I am thinking more drugs than could've been good for any one person...
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

This brings up the question of who watched over Hannelore when she first moved to Earth.  Perhaps we'll get to meet this person eventually.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

DS9 was a weaker version of Babylon 5. Better sets and effects, but much weaker storyline.

"Babylon 5's a big pile of shit."

Not really :)

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse

I can't recall if her move back to Earth has ever been mentioned. I mean, was it her own decision or someone else's?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I can't recall if her move back to Earth has ever been mentioned. I mean, was it her own decision or someone else's?
This brings up the question of who watched over Hannelore when she first moved to Earth.  Perhaps we'll get to meet this person eventually.

To - hopefully - be concluded.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Hmmmmmmyeagh we are totally not going to see Hanner's dad this week either  :lol:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hehe, Marigold's reaction was the same as Marten's.

That strip brings up two things - one, had Hannelore been thinking, she would have known Marten's name because Winslow would have told her who Pintsize's "owner" was. Two, BOY has Winslow changed in the ensuing years. He actually looks about the size of his Plushie in that strip.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Heavy stuff. Her final transition from Station to Earth must've been a mess at first... I am thinking more drugs than could've been good for any one person...

Well, she was on some pretty heavy meds when she met Marten the first time...

This brings up the question of who watched over Hannelore when she first moved to Earth.  Perhaps we'll get to meet this person eventually.

...I'm getting the feeling that was what Winslow was for.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

On shipping Hanners (linked from Jeph's Twitter).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

On shipping Hanners (linked from Jeph's Twitter).

That is WAY too funny.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened

Hmmmmmmyeagh we are totally not going to see Hanner's dad this week either  :lol:

Watching the ustream - I think you may be wrong.  The family resemblence is pretty strong! 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The practical problems of running a space station ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Let's all be cryptic for the next twelve or so hours, eh?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Hey, I'm just trying to deal with Dia-Nogas in the trash compactors before this whole thing blows up ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Throg

We will see if Jeph acknowledges the elephant in the room.

SQUEEZE BOX

Carl-E

• Awakened

Let's see him try to even get into  the room with the elephant! 

I'll be honest, I didn't watch the whole ustream, so I don't even know what DSL's talking about...  cryptic enough?
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2012, 14:29 by Carl-E »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's right over there, next to the 800-pound gorilla.

Throg

When the picture comes, we'll know. Until then, guard the squirrel and hope for the best.

Hell, I didn't see the ustream either. I got no idea what y'all are talkin' about.
SQUEEZE BOX

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Given my own history with mental illness, I really sympathize with Hanners here. I'd give her a hug if I didn't know it would make her feel worse. And, you know, if she was real.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Moderator Comment Use spoiler tags if you must mention something from the ustream before the comic's posted, please.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up