THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 11151 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Star Wars: The Old Republic
« on: 29 Dec 2009, 10:22 »

Not sure if anyone else has been keeping up with this but they have announced all of the classes

Republic
Trooper (soldier class)
Smuggler (gunslinger class)
Jedi Knight (Lightsaber melee class)
Jedi Consular (Force class)

Empire
Bounty Hunter (mercenary class)
Sith Warrior (Lightsaber melee class)
Imperial Agent (Spec Ops class)
Sith Inquisitor (Political Force Class)

if you have 20 minutes to spare check out this developer look, it makes me want the game NOW!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Darke

• Furry furrier
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2009, 17:17 »

Yep, I am extremely excited for this game. I've been planning on rolling a Bounty Hunter, and I have just about managed to stick to my guns (had a shaky spell when the Sith Inquisitor was announced... damn it looks fun.)

I wish they would let us know about space travel one way or the other. If I have to start thinking up awesome names for my ship, I need to know now. :(
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2009, 18:27 »

i've been waiting for this since the failure that was galaxies.  the pax demo was super rad.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:56 »

Galaxies was an amazing game -- out of the box. Not so much after, well, you know.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2009, 04:50 »

Yeah, I'm waiting on this one too.  I keep looking for a beta invite that hasn't come yet.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2009, 04:53 »

At the very least I creamed my pants.

Scruffy nerf-herders all the way, although it's good that every class is badass.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2009, 09:28 »

From what I was reading, it's going to play much like their other RPGs with over 100 hours of content per class until max level.

While you'll be following a campaign mission that brings you from planet to planet that you can solo, there are quests and storylines for each planet that requires a group.

You can solo until max level, however, you'll be missing half the content if you do.

I found that interesting.  You're talking about 800 hours of just class specific content.

That's mind-bottling.  I'm not sure how they'll manage to pull that off.  Then again, they didn't have to build the engine -- so they ARE just jumping right into the content.

kozmonaut

• Not quite a lurker
    • FTA Files
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2010, 02:10 »

i was a huge fan of SWG pre NG, so varied the characters were, there were only like 4 jedi on my server, cause they were impossible to get, now with swg its all jedi, it sucked. im excited about OR because of the story based stuff, with companion characters. I am for sure playing a bounty hunter like i did on the orginal, such great memories.

3 memories stand out

like 30 people rebs, were flagged aggro, and were afk, i murdered the whole guild, 3 people came unafk. One tried to fight, and died, and 2 ran, and i ranged them with my rifle, was one of the better guilds on gorath. Wish i still had a screen shot

My target was a role player, maybe 5 million, he was at a invite only role play event, i had o go buy this nice outfit, like a suit, not wear any weapons, armor, helmets, etc, and i had to tell an orgin story. It was my first serious experience with role players, kinda weird crowd. So while my target was doing some dance number on stage with some girls, i macrod my entire battle suit, buffed up, and threw a bunch of grenades on stage and droped all my traps, shields and did like 7000 dam to him in like 5 seconds, he was a uber jedi, but no saber, no robes, he just died. Man, like 30 or 40 RPS surrounded me, and was like, how can you do this, this is out event. I was like, he was my mark, if you got something to say, step outside, so outside was a 40 line of speeders, atst mounts, like 20 flagged rebel on my imp ass, and i ran, they chased for like 5 minutes, i led them off, then went back to the cantina, wow, was like 25 speeders left, all flagged aggro, so i killed all their speeders, unaggroed and went back in for a drink, but they banned me from the city.

had this target where you grind the maladorian armor pieces, like a super high lvl zone, i had a mark in a group of 6 doing the whole zone, i joined up, and made it to the boss, right as the boss was near the end, i started to kill my mark, which happened to be the tank of the group, so i kiled him, then his friends all died to the boss, i got the death kill, and full loot, was some sweet items!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2010, 04:37 »

Wow, you sound like a total asshole.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2010, 04:38 »

I was skeptical about this game, but the gameplay footage looks ok!  I'm not too jazzed about paying to play an MMORPG anymore, but if that ceases to be the case at some point in the future I might have to give it a go.

kozmonaut

• Not quite a lurker
    • FTA Files
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:51 »

i play the game to have fun, i was a bounty hunter after all. If i was gonna slay you in rl, i wouldnt say, hi im here to beat you up, i would befrriend you, or get you under my confidence, then do it up.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2010, 01:46 »

Yeah I guess putting a Bounty Hunter into the game is a bit of a license to grief, but on the other hand who kills people who go afk?  That's super cheap, and so is training mobs onto people, which is what you did in a modified format in #3.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:22 »

Not, I guess, if you're roleplaying. Because, dude, killing people is harder than making stuff kill them, or kill them when they're not watching. The ability to walk into a party in disguise and brutally kill someone there is what made the game different.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2010, 14:24 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2011, 18:18 »

interesting new video of how the game is going to be.  looks fun. :)

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/taral-v-developer-walkthrough
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:24 »

I'm kinda surprised they're using the conversation doohickey in this game. Seems weird to implement it in a mmorpg.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:38 »

I find it interesting theres a roll to so who says what.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:43 »

motherfucker boba fett didn't make friends with anyone
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:54 »

This makes the idea sound awful to me. I think it would be more interesting if there were branching conversational dynamics depending on what combination of responses are given.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2011, 21:13 »

It's always kinda striking to me how dull mmos--or hell, RPGS in generall-- look when I don't have any real context for the abilities being tossed around.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2011, 00:05 »

This makes the idea sound awful to me. I think it would be more interesting if there were branching conversational dynamics depending on what combination of responses are given.
from what I gathered the reason they talked to the force spirit is because the Jedi Knight won that roll.  So who knows perhaps it is. Maybe if the tropper won they would have discuss the stratigic advantage of the situation, or the smuggler a staging point for um smuggling?

imagist42

« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:38 »

I figured it was the option the knight chose, not who he was, that led to that. Or, for all we know, it was entirely scripted and didn't really matter what anyone said.

But I'm picturing a system more like if everyone chooses one response, you go one way. If everyone chooses another, you go that way instead. And if everyone chooses different responses, things get a little more chaotic. Just something where your collective decisions, not just one random person's choice or even one random person's character, make the difference. That's a system I could get behind.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

imagist42

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:40 »

With some friends.

And gangBANG it out.

I'm referring to group sex.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:41 »

I'm thinking of lightsiding my sith inquisitor and having a "neutral" imperial agent.

And a right royal bastard of a smuggler.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:04 »

bastard trooper/commando

neutral gunslinger

and a conniving inquisitor.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2011, 14:11 »

I was excited for this game until I saw the actual game play trailer they put out recently.

It seemed exactly like every other MMO I've ever played.  Hopefully Guild Wars will be as different as promised.

/2c

Josefbugman

« Reply #26 on: 30 Mar 2011, 23:56 »

Eh, the action I can take or leave, I want to play it because of storyline and star warsyness.

That and you get your own ship (which I kind of like).
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #27 on: 06 Apr 2011, 11:29 »

I just hope they fix the space combat...it looks pretty bad so far. :psyduck:

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:51 »

epic bump

So is anyone here actually playing this? I'm having a blast, which is why I preordered and played the shit out of TOR for the past three days.

It's also diverting my attention away from Skyrim which, really is no small feat at all

How bout youse?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #29 on: 23 Dec 2011, 13:48 »

It's a WoW clone :(

Bring back Pre-CU SWG!
not a clone, an improvement.

SWG was bad IMHO.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #30 on: 25 Dec 2011, 11:33 »

I play with my housemate and my buddy, we're on The Fatman PVP server, which is where a lot of the players from SWG have moved to. Really enjoying it so far. The space combat is super fun.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2011, 15:44 »

I'm going to admit I only think this is better than WoW because it's Star Wars.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2011, 08:39 »

That's a damned weird use of the word "only", right there, IDMG.

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #33 on: 06 Jan 2012, 12:27 »

playing with quite a few friends and coworkers.  everyone is having a good time.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #34 on: 08 Jan 2012, 22:48 »

The writing's a little weak compared to Bioware standards and the game mechanics are straight outta every other MMO but I'm actually finding it enjoyable. Question though, when do you get your ship? Do you have to clear all the Courscant missions?
Quis pater tibi est?

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2012, 18:24 »

You just have to get through the main class missions
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2012, 01:36 »

Game is pretty much unplayable, PVP is unbalanced shit and the worlds are empty. I give it 36 hours before it collapses into a pile of steaming feces.

((Actually loving the game, and enjoying reading the naysayers on the official forums too))

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #37 on: 12 Jan 2012, 07:18 »

For some reason whenever I doubleclick the SWToR icon, it starts up World of Warcraft... and I deinstalled that 2 and a half years ago...  :psyduck:

... just kidding. The game is actually enjoyable... for now. I don't think it will capture my interest for very long, though, because I often find myself thinking "God, this and that situation/feature could've been designed so much better in this day and age... could you be any more like WoW?" ...
The controls, the fighting system, the way you're guided through the world are so much like WoW its a bit disappointing.

I agree, the story-driven questing feels fresh and can actually hold me. So props there. Well done.

But don't get me started on forced companioning. I could just... *grinds teeth*
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jan 2012, 01:17 »

I really like having the companions, it means that I can play a more support oriented build and not be completely fucked when trying to level without friends, and as my friends are finding more time to play they are all around 4-5 levels above me and on different planets.

I do agree that there are some improvements I'd like to see.
The auction system is one. Both the interface and the 13% posting fee.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jan 2012, 19:28 »

I got this game and I really cannot fully get into it yet. There is something seriously dragging feeling about leveling. I feel like it was really meant to be leveled in groups of 2 or more.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Josefbugman

« Reply #40 on: 22 Jan 2012, 07:39 »

I'm enjoying myself with the game. I realised it was probably going to be a lot like WoW, but the fact is that there is a lot I want to see and I'm basically treating it like a single player RPG that just happens to have people running around it.

Yes there could be improvements, but I don't really need them, I need a decent story and a reasonable way to pass the time and this is it, especially as it's the last game I am buying for the forseeable future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up