THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483792 times)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
I just watched [movie x here]
« on: 11 Feb 2012, 12:26 »

I just watched Primer for the 3rd time and this time my mother joined me in watching! She enjoyed it :D
Tomorrow I'm gonna watch me some True Grit!

Zingoleb

Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2012, 13:02 »

I just watched the Ring for the first time.

It was okay, I guess.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2012, 22:42 »

I finally saw Scarface today. It wasn't what I expected. I laughed at inappropriate times and didn't give a shit about Tony Montana. He was just some idiot coke dealer and when he died I was happy that the movie was over. I love the soundtrack though. I am a sucker for Elizabeth Daily.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2012, 22:43 »

My cool friends and wannabe gangsters all had a montana shirt, like he was a boss and awesome... I thought he was shit ^_^

Skaltura

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2012, 04:36 »

Drive

fucking best movie of 2011

That is all.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2012, 16:07 »

Finally watched The Godfather. Two whole VHS's worth. It was better than I expected.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:27 »

Yesterday I watched the documentary Waste Land. Good stuff!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:32 »

I finally saw Scarface today. It wasn't what I expected. I laughed at inappropriate times and didn't give a shit about Tony Montana. He was just some idiot coke dealer and when he died I was happy that the movie was over. I love the soundtrack though. I am a sucker for Elizabeth Daily.

Hate to sound like a tragic hipster, but the 1932 original is a lot better (note: I had to watch this as part of studying Crime Fiction)

Also, I watched the Godfather the other day too! It is amazing. Wasn't my first time but the gun behind the toilet scene still has me on the edge of my seat.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:57 »

Is the original also about Cuban drug dealers? Are there differences in story?

Lupercal

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2012, 09:03 »

The original is more focused on gun crime, prohibition, 30s grimaces. I found both pretty funny (I suppose unintentionally) but I just thought that the 30s Scarface had a lot more individuality about it, you were really rooting for Tony even though he is a bit of an idiot, but there seems something more authentic about it. Tony is a man-about-town as opposed to a Cuban refugee, and I guess the differences mainly lie in the differences in decade, really. I suppose I'm just not into modern gangster films that much (although I love the Godfather).

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2012, 10:53 »

I'll definitely try the old one. I never knew that Scarface was a remake.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2012, 11:45 »

I watched Anonymous whilst cleaning and then Hugo.
Anonymous shouldn't be watched, by anyone, ever. It's not a bad movie, no, it's just that the concept of history and historical facts are screwed in such a way that it wasn't that much fun to watch.

Hugo felt very heavily auto-scripted to be honest. The whole story arc is so easy the movie practically writes itself. It fun to watch though! But not worth the 3D ticket. 2D is just as good. By having scorcese as director it does have a very high feel of it being made for older people... there is a sense of speed but that's in actions and plot structure, not in characters and their behaviour, kind of what is missing in a childrens film

alienatedduck

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Dog And Louse
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2012, 04:26 »

I saw Jaws for the first time ever on Friday after some nagging from a friend, which was fun, even if thanks to 'popular culture' I already knew the entire plot. Anyone else ever have this problem with popular films they've never seen?

Turned out they didn't need a bigger boat, though. A better boat would have helped though. Maybe one with cannons. (Pirate ship?)

I have only seen the Godfather once and I remember not being that impressed. I think to me it's just one of those films that can never live up to others praise of it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:56 »

Hugo felt very heavily auto-scripted to be honest. The whole story arc is so easy the movie practically writes itself. It fun to watch though! But not worth the 3D ticket. 2D is just as good. By having scorcese as director it does have a very high feel of it being made for older people... there is a sense of speed but that's in actions and plot structure, not in characters and their behaviour, kind of what is missing in a childrens film
I watched Hugo as well, was pretty entertaining. I don't know what you mean by auto-scripting, but a lot of the scenes were rather predictable. Others, however, did succeed in surprising me. I totally agree  with you about the 3D, it rather looked like a cardboard cutout. Not to mention the spectacular anachronism that is showing pre-WWI movies in 3D.

I liked that the movie kept really down-to-earth about the whole deal. From what little I knew about the movie, I was expecting the automaton to be more robot than machine, but there was nothing sci-fi or supernatural about it. In fact, building an automaton complex enough to be able to write or draw has actually been done, complete with pen-inking and head movements! I would have passed it off for fiction if not for wikipedia.

Also, I went to see it with the rest of the family, so now I have 4 sets of 3D glasses that they sold for keeps. It gave me an idea: If I removed the left lens from one set, and removed the right lens from another set, then switched the two, I could easily make two sets of functional 2D glasses, which are visually identical to the 3D ones. The lenses are flat and symmetrical (so not actually lenses) so they should fit in the right frame as well as they do in the left frame. This should be interesting...
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:14 »

The highly scripted I refer to is the fact that all relationships in the movie are predictable and frankly a bit unnecessary, like the old woman with her dog. It only kinda keeps the movie from being boring for older people? I don't know

I watched it on my PC. But the feeling I got at the scenes that were 3D was that it wasn't needed for the story.

Also watched Puss In Boots. And that also was pretty predictable, I mean, totally predictable! The only time I laughed was when the beard guy in jail told the story of how he traded a cow.
Also watched 50/50 which I thought was a good movie although again with the love interest... This time it was done good though as I'm thinking about it.
Also watched Immortals which is just action packed godly nonsense. There could have been worse killings in it, it still was all a bit nice.
Also watched ... wait, I still have to see Warrior and A Better Life! Will do that on Wednesday I think :P

Yeah, I made this topic all for myself  :psyduck:

Lupercal

« Reply #15 on: 05 Mar 2012, 23:27 »

Finally saw Iron Man 2 in my effort to see the character films before I see The Avengers.

Disappointed, if I'm honest. Nothing like the 2008 original and was just one protracted flying/shooting scene after another.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #16 on: 05 Mar 2012, 23:33 »

The problem is those are the bast part of the comics, so the guy with the DIRECTOR hat is all "MAKE IT MORE BLLGGKAKAGOW!" and the people make it. The Batman movies have always been to my liking.

Lupercal

« Reply #17 on: 07 Mar 2012, 12:29 »

Iron Man and Batman Begins shared a gritty realism, partially anyway. The idea that Iron Man was born from parts of weapons a US weapons company has sold to the Middle East? Awesome, and obviously very relatable. It just worked. IM2 was more "Hey, I'm drunk Iron Man and could easily kill all of you in this party accidently with one daft wave of my arm." It didn't really work for me, and I haven't read the comics, so I'm basing it purely on a casual audience viewing (which I suppose is where all the money is).

I did see another great Scorsese film the other day - The Color of Money. I watched it initially for Cruise, and stayed for Newman. Probably the only director and group of actors that can make pool interesting. Very 80s and very enjoyable. I would highly recommend it!

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #18 on: 08 Mar 2012, 14:16 »

One thing you should also consider is that Iron Man in 2008 was not bound by expectations from previous movies since there were no previous Iron Man movies. I didn't even really know about Iron Man until I saw the movie, maybe heard him mentioned once or twice in the Marvel comics. So when it came out in theaters, it was a huge success. I think the fact at the time he was one of the few superhero movies to break out in colors that were not black or grey or had a dark past.

Watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade again. Never get sick of the score, the action and the dialogue.
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2012, 17:24 »

Midnight in Paris

I really liked the concept and really enjoyed the movie despite hating Owen Wilson as an actor.

There were a few things I disliked about the movie.

(click to show/hide)

The OST is fantastic.

I guess, like I said, I really enjoyed the movie, but it could have been so much better.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2012, 19:50 »

Contagion

Was a good outbreak simulation with a decent cast.  A bit slow paced, but they managed to keep things going.

Lupercal

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:21 »

Stand By Me in delicious Blu Ray. Although the quality wasn't brilliant, it is an amazing film. It is very odd how Stephen King is one of few authors whose books are also pretty incredible films (albeit very different).

Eihigo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2012, 04:12 »

Lupercal

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2012, 01:37 »

Watching that in a travel lit class next week, should be interesting.

Watched Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" last night. There are a LOT of tits in that film. It was very strange, but edge-of-your-seat kind of stuff anyway. Kind of reminded me of Vanilla Sky in its strangeness and wondering where on earth the film was going. The direction was amazing, and the use of artwork and certain colours (red was very prominent) worked really well. I'd sincerely recommend it.

Zingoleb

« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2012, 12:13 »

Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess, from Ghibli Studios. So adorable and fun. I loved Kiki's Delivery Service; I'm not sure why I've not watched any other Miyazaki films...

Lupercal

« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2012, 15:33 »

The Woman In Black, very good horror movie, by Hammer films!

If only Daniel could ever be in a role where he has to act his own age...

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2012, 15:44 »

Stand By Me in delicious Blu Ray. Although the quality wasn't brilliant, it is an amazing film. It is very odd how Stephen King is one of few authors whose books are also pretty incredible films (albeit very different).

King has had some good movie adaptations. Stand By Me, Shawshank, The Green Mile, The Mist; all very good films of his stories, but movies like The Running Man, Lawnmower Man, and The Stand, while good in their own right, are horrible to pin King's name onto it.

Theyis

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:30 »

The Hunger Games

Pretty entertaining for the next young adult fiction hype. I'll take post apocalyptic battle royale over glittering vampires any day... :)

Lupercal

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:52 »

The TV adaptation for The Stand was pretty good. Some of his films have flopped because he sells the rights of some of his films to unknown film makers for something like $5. The rest is in their hands. I need to find an actual source beyond my King-fanatic housemate.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #29 on: 01 Apr 2012, 10:54 »

Watched the 1936 Reefer Madness the last week. Ridiculous. Watched 2005 Reefer Madness musical the other night. So good, right away is in my top ten of films, I think. Watching the original helps but not necessary. I was singing the opening song in work and got into a serious conversation about marijuana with my supervisor. 8-)

Lupercal

« Reply #30 on: 03 Apr 2012, 04:05 »

On track with my current need to watch Road Movies, I saw Easy Rider for the first time. Great, and extremely depressing, film.

I also love how Jack Nicholson is essentially the same mental character in every film he's in.

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #31 on: 08 Apr 2012, 16:57 »

Just watched Starship Troopers for the first time.  I thought it was pretty hilarious and great.

Interesting how a lot of now-familiar faces pop up in side roles, but many of the perfect beautiful people in the main cast never really did much else of particular note.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #32 on: 08 Apr 2012, 21:33 »

I loved that movie because there's no "Why are we fighting this war, man!" and no "Maybe we're the evil ones!" stuff. Just happy patriotic war and boobs.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #33 on: 09 Apr 2012, 03:01 »

'Foolproof' was on tv the other day, and I liked that movie but completely forgot its name after the first time I watched it. Really good heist movie.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2012, 07:29 »

Headhunters or Hodejegerne in norwegian.

Awesome thriller about a short man who steals painting next to his high end recruiting job. It all goes wrong when he hears there's a Rubens at his new client's house who wants to become the new CEO of a track and trace firm...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2012, 15:55 »

Captain America. Forgettable.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2012, 23:51 »

Six plus hours at a James Bond triple feature at the always amazing Castro Theater. 35mm prints on a giant screen of: Diamond are Forever / The Spy who Loved Me / From Russia with Love. Can't think of many better ways to spend a Saturday night.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2012, 18:05 »

last week i went out and saw The Raid, which was an awesomely insane malaysian action movie, and Cabin In The Woods, which was a highlarious deconstruction of modern horror movie cliches. enjoyed both a lot.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:09 »

Battle Royale, it's like Hunger Games only Japanese

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:38 »

I watched Attack the Block again to see if there was something I missed the first time.

Nope, still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:12 »

I watched Attack the Block again to see if there was something I missed the first time.

Nope, still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Still probebly better than Twilight

...or The Room
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film) Has to be one of the most pretentious steaming piles of bull hockey I've ever seen.

But another classic I just re-watched: Six String Samurai, Red Elvises FTW!

Lupercal

« Reply #41 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:36 »

Don't you dare say bad things about The Room!

Wiseau is the world's greatest troll.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #42 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:11 »

Don't you dare say bad things about The Room!

Wiseau is the world's greatest troll.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Lupercal

« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:41 »

Yep. And it regularly sells out showings all over the world - its kind of the point. Its now another cult film, and I can see why.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2012, 03:33 »

The Room was the first film my boyfriend and I watched together.

Also in the last week I've watched Iron Man (because I saw the sequel but not the original) and Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2012, 07:38 »

Yep. And it regularly sells out showings all over the world - its kind of the point. Its now another cult film, and I can see why.

I guess I never got the joke, this must be how my friends feel when I talk about how Hobo With A Shotgun was great, or how the Human Centipede found a new level of horror.  :-\

I just know that this Wiseau person was a pretentious prick who wanted his name in every credit on the list even when he had someone else do the directing so he could focus on his "acting" without giving up his own directing credit.  But again, maybe it's part of a joke I just missed.  It's not HAHA funny, it's Andy Kaufman funny which only relates to a few.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2012, 07:53 »

I personally found The Human Centipede rather boring. The big diapers just never let me get into the illusion. I'm yet to see the sequel.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:28 »

The first one was more about the psychological\body horror of it, the doctor is very clean and surgical with his "pet".  The sequel (I have yet to find a copy myself) is more brutal, with a guy who simply has an obsession for the first movie (In the second film, the first one was just a film) and puts it together brutally using little more than a hammer and staple gun.  Tom Six has said the second one would make the first look like "My Little Pony" (take that bronies  :-P) and the third will make them both look like Walt Disney.  After the issues and controversy with the second, I'm not sure if the Final Sequence will make it.  But just the sheer body horror of the films seem to disturb people on a level most horror films can't

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:17 »

I didn't really get a psychological horror from the film.  I interpret that more as being to do with getting into the character's fear and their feelings. I prefer the Saw series for  psychological/body horror. *gets slapped for loving the Saw series* Maybe I'm just not squeamish enough for Centipede concept or I just relate to the possible pain in the more "realistic" films.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #49 on: 27 Apr 2012, 21:49 »

Once again, Blair Witch is being ripped off by somebody. In Blair Witch 2, the first Blair Witch movie was a movie and these kids go out into the woods in maryland on a Blair Witch tour. This is the most times I've ever written "Blair Witch" in one paragraph.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53   Go Up