THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483776 times)

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:24 »

Prometheus was....ok? I mean, there were little parts I enjoyed and it was pretty, but the storyline was meh. It moved too slow and not a lot happened, I guess. I don't know. But Michael Fassbender as David was pretty much my favorite part of the movie. He did a great job with his character.

I should probably send Ridley a congratulations card for ruining any mystery that he built up in Alien. No questions were answered, and if they were, they were just answered with more questions.

(If you've seen Prometheus you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #101 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:22 »

Yeah, I pretty much asked all of those same questions while watching the movie.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #102 on: 08 Jul 2012, 09:35 »

Caught The Incredible Hulk on tv yesterday. It was nice, although having the whole thing lead up to a Hulk vs. Abomination showdown kind of made the entire previous conflict irrelevant. They could have had that fight in the beginning of the movie and it would have ended exactly the same way. Ah well, it's a superhero movie, so what are ya gonna do?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #103 on: 08 Jul 2012, 09:47 »

My boyfriend and I have made a deal for alternating picks on a regular movie night. Last night was my choice and we watched Kung Pow because I finally packed out my DVDs and I forgot I owned it. Andrew had never seen it and he liked it so we're 1 - 1 on our choices.

Lupercal

« Reply #104 on: 10 Jul 2012, 03:44 »

The Amazing Spider-Man

It was actually, surprisingly, against my utmost cynicism of reboots and superhero films, amazing. Really well done. A lot of critics are saying "Same as the other one!" - well, duh, how are you supposed to make a Spiderman origins story different when you're using the same source material and the other film only came out ten years ago? I liked the characters better than the original (especially Uncle Ben), I enjoyed the point-of-view Spiderman shots, and just thought the whole story was well constructed.

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #105 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:02 »

I saw Amazing Spider-man and really liked it too. Basically everything you just said. Plus, Spider-man never made me cry like Amazing did.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #106 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:49 »

I loved it too. Agreement on the crying but Confession: I've only seen Spiderman 3. Also, I liked it.
Even got into a debate about Amazing with someone who's basic complaint was, "We've seen this kind of story before." Well, yeah... That doesn't mean it's badly told though.

Lupercal

« Reply #107 on: 11 Jul 2012, 04:29 »

I think it also had that tinge of a comedy element that worked so well in The Avengers too.

The trailers made Garfield's Peter Parker look like an utter moron (the trailer I saw was the awkward "wanna do something soon?" scene in school), but he seemed stronger than Maguire's Parker. That is probably solely to do with the tone of the film, but hey.

Christ Welu, you only saw Spiderman 3? I kind of feel sorry for you. The first two were actually okay, and didn't involve a student having an emo-mid-life-crisis mid-film.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #108 on: 11 Jul 2012, 09:56 »

My impression of the critics crying foul about The Amazing Spiderman re-hashing old territory is that a full on reboot wasn't actually necessary. The modern Spiderman universe has been fleshed out by major blockbuster movies and we don't need to retread that territory. It would have been totally plausible to "continue" the story started with Raimi's films, introducing us to Garfield's Spiderman as fully fledged character. People would buy the actor changes; audiences swallow way more ridiculous things than that, after all. I've got to say that I agree with this sentiment. I haven't seen TAS yet, and part of that is because I don't want to see dweeby Peter Parker get bitten by a spider and have to flummox his way through web slinging in what I can only assume is a very fast paced montage in which minor slapstick elements are employed to increasingly lofty string music as he figures his shit out and then gets a speech from Uncle Ben and meanwhile fumbles his way through trying to cop a feel from a girl who, lets face it, is way out of his league and, assuming this is a high school on planet earth, would probably not really acknowledge his existence, all things being equal.

I dunno, maybe this reboot is aimed at the generation below mine who weren't really able to see the first couple Maguire Spiderman films, but I can't help but feel that a lot of time was surely wasted developing characters and a story that everyone not only already knows but has seen within not-too-distant memory. Wouldn't it have been better to jump right into the fray, introduce some cool villains right off the bat, and have more bad-ass Superhero v. Villain brawls? Of course, I really disliked the previous Spiderman trilogy - I thought the first was just OK and the next two went WAY downhill from there - so maybe getting a clean slate is what the series needed after all.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #109 on: 13 Jul 2012, 13:57 »

Christ Welu, you only saw Spiderman 3? I kind of feel sorry for you. The first two were actually okay, and didn't involve a student having an emo-mid-life-crisis mid-film.

I was entertained, whether it meant to do it the way it did or not.

From what I know the reboot only exists so Warner Bros could hold on to their license.

Bachi-Atari

• Larger than most fish
  • What goes here again?
    • Tumblr of course
« Reply #110 on: 17 Jul 2012, 09:02 »

Quote from: Welu
From what I know the reboot only exists so Warner Bros could hold on to their license.

All too common, it's the biggest reason for most remakes/sequels (out side of trilogies) and even doing that stupid 4th movie that didn't need to be made except to save the licensing.

Also, anyone seen They Live? Is it worth it?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #111 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:50 »

It's hilarious. Personally I think it's worth watching. Even if it's just to hear the line, "I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum," and watch Roddy Piper and Keith David beat the shit out of each other.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #112 on: 19 Jul 2012, 18:07 »

Another movie I saw awhile ago was The Shrine.  One of the better horror/thriller movies I've seen in awhile.

Seems to only exist on Netflix, where I happened to stumble upon it one day.  Haven't found it in DVD or BluRay yet.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #113 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:34 »

The Dark Knight Rises. Loved it. Some of my friends were there by coincidence so hung out with them after and had very nerdy feminist discussion even though I was the only female in the group.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #114 on: 21 Jul 2012, 22:01 »

"Night of the Comet"! A bizarre, hilarious, and horribly plotted 80s flick about two sisters battling to survive zombies and evil scientists after radiation from a comet turns most of LA (and probably the world) to dust. In other words, this movie rules so much.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #115 on: 29 Jul 2012, 13:26 »

Brave. It was fun, and such a relief that I didn't have to put so much effort in watching the 3D effects this time. A 2D movie just lets you relax. And the movie: I was surprised with the direction the plot took, and I had the impression it was mainly done for giggles. Still, it resolved itself nicely, and I enjoyed it.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #116 on: 30 Jul 2012, 09:04 »

Watched Savages last week at the theater. I liked the story line ok, but it was way too graphic in some scenes.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #117 on: 01 Aug 2012, 04:50 »

Finally saw Dark Knight Rises and it was awesome. I'm kind of sad Nolan won't be making any more Batman movies because I liked his more realistic take on it. Though it is a little open for sequels, so maybe something will come of it? But I'll be sad if they do make more and they're not quite up to par.

DudeReadThis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #118 on: 01 Aug 2012, 06:01 »

I really think (and hope) that there are sequels to Nolan's Dark Knight movies
And not just because of the
(click to show/hide)
But if they do make more, I think
(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 01 Aug 2012, 08:10 »

Maybe...
(click to show/hide)

Also I saw a preview for Man of Steel and it looks really interesting. The cast list also looks pretty good, especially for some of the side characters.

ackblom12

« Reply #120 on: 01 Aug 2012, 08:33 »

If Killer Croc got introduced at all in this timeline, it would be more along the lines of his (obvious homage) appearance in the show The Cape I think, but he's also not an interesting enough villian on his own to make the star of a Nolan style film. If he came around, he'd likely be a soldier henchman for someone else.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #121 on: 01 Aug 2012, 17:59 »

The look that he had in that Brian Azzarello Joker book would have fit pretty well in the Nolan universe.

Also, they're gonna try for a more Justice League friendly Batman from now on.

DudeReadThis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 01 Aug 2012, 20:18 »

Maybe...
(click to show/hide)

Also I saw a preview for Man of Steel and it looks really interesting. The cast list also looks pretty good, especially for some of the side characters.

Oh man, I so want to see
(click to show/hide)

Yes, I too got the Man of Steel trailer and I hope I can drag my family to go see it with me.

@Blue Kitty

Mother of god, they did The Avengers, would it be possible for a Justice League movie?!?

Buuuuut, there may not be a 4th Nolan Batman movie since
(click to show/hide)

Maybe Nolan might make
(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 01 Aug 2012, 20:26 »

I think it's been stated that Nolan would only make three Batman movies and that was it. I don't think he'll be directing anymore Batman related movies, but he might produce. (I noticed he was one of the producers for Man of Steel.) But the possibility is open and I hope it gets pursued in the future.

Lupercal

« Reply #124 on: 07 Aug 2012, 09:16 »

A sequel could be over-doing it though. The Nolan Trilogy took seven years to be released (not including filming for BB) - if there is going to be a sequel, it is at least three or four years down the line from here.

As for Zsasz - wasn't he in Dark Knight Rises? I'm sure I heard his name.

My take on it:

(click to show/hide)

Double also:

(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #125 on: 07 Aug 2012, 09:20 »

He was probably in the prison. He is a serial killer, after all.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #126 on: 08 Aug 2012, 17:31 »

Black Swan (DVD) and Moonrise Kingdom (theater). Both were amazing.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #127 on: 08 Aug 2012, 20:25 »

As for Zsasz - wasn't he in Dark Knight Rises? I'm sure I heard his name.

He was in Batman Begins, so maybe they mentioned him in Rises.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #128 on: 01 Sep 2012, 13:27 »

Hedwig And The Angry Inch. Been meaning to watch it for ages and really enjoyed it. Loved the song Wicked Little Town.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #129 on: 01 Sep 2012, 13:38 »

I spent a couple of weeks in India in 2000 with a group of young people, one of whom was Miriam Shor, who played Yitzhak.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #130 on: 01 Sep 2012, 14:15 »

That's pretty neat. I didn't realize during the movie they were female, so credit to the performance and make-up.

I really liked Hedwig's dialogue and the aloofness with which they talked to the crowds.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #131 on: 01 Sep 2012, 14:54 »

Now I have to admit that I never saw it. Miriam got a part in a TV show, I think a sitcom, that my wife and I watched a couple of times. She graduated from the same suburban Detroit high school our daughter attended. A fellow classmate, nearly a decade after their graduation, had married an Indian woman he'd met at an anthropology course taught in India, in a civil ceremony in Ohio. The couple planned a Hindu ceremony in Calcutta in 2000, and invited their friends to the wedding and some group travel following. Our daughter was invited. Without money, she invited me. I bought three tickets. Our daughter met the guy she was to marry, and backed out. Clara and I went to the wedding although we hadn't met either bride or groom. Had a great time, minus a few hiccups.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #132 on: 02 Sep 2012, 04:51 »

I watched "Source Code" and "Moon" yesterday and after I realized they were both by the same guy.. who is also David Bowie´s son :D

I think I liked "Moon" a little better, though both movies were great.
It has that deserted and lonely feel of 2001 or Solaris, and the twist was thought-provoking and depressing at the same time. Maybe the end was a bit sappy for my taste but overall very entertaining if you like that kind of stuff.

Also saw "Capricorn One" as part of my ongoing "Sci-fi" rehash-thing. More of a thriller/government-cover-up thing, but I remembered seeing it as a kid with my dad and it had kind of struck me then with the eerie photography of the astronauts crawling through the desert, not of Mars but of Earth, being chased by black helicopters and all.
Also it´s by Peter Hyams who made "2010" and "Outland", so is well versed in the gloomy-scifi field.

I think I´ll probably see "The Sleeper" next. Another one I saw with my dad ages ago.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #133 on: 09 Sep 2012, 15:56 »

Watched the original Terminator. Realized about twenty minutes in I'd never seen it before! I really thought I had, because I've definitely seen 2 and 3, plus I knew so many of the scenes from parodies and Best [type] Scene lists.

Loved it.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: 09 Sep 2012, 20:25 »

I just watched Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down with a real young Antonio Banderas. It was really odd and I am scratching my head trying to figure out how it's a romance movie.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #135 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:41 »

Our daughter met the guy she was to marry, and backed out.

...What?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #136 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:57 »

As in, "backed out of the trip." It's OK though. They've been married for 10 years.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #137 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:12 »

Oh, so he wasn't related to the wedding at all? For whatever reason, I pictured her meeting some random guy and she was also supposed to marry him at that wedding and she freaked out. I don't know why I thought that, it sounds like a terrible rom-com plot line.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #138 on: 13 Sep 2012, 08:41 »

Oh, so I wasn't the only one confused about that.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #139 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:15 »

I just saw Paranorman, and it's really good. I mean I shouldn't be surprised considering how much I enjoyed Coraline.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #140 on: 15 Sep 2012, 05:08 »

The Watch. Wasn't expecting much but was delightfully surprised. I really liked Vince Vaughn and Richard Ayoade. Nice to see Ayoade breaking in to bigger things.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #141 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:45 »

Life on Mars, Season 1. 

I was very pleasantly surprised.  Hadn't heard a thing about it, just picked it up at my local library, and yeah, that was pretty awesome.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic
« Reply #142 on: 16 Sep 2012, 18:51 »

I just re-watched The Phantom (Billy Zane style).

I remember thinking it was such an awesome movie when I was a kid, now it's like some cheezed-up Indiana Jones rip-off with a guy in purple spandex instead of a leather jacket. Still a fun watch, though!
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #143 on: 16 Sep 2012, 23:59 »

I remember thinking it was such an awesome movie when I was a kid

Wait - didn't it just come out a couple of years ago? 

[checks date - 1996!?!??!]

Damn, I'm getting old - my sense of time's slipping. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #144 on: 17 Sep 2012, 09:08 »

I just re-watched The Phantom (Billy Zane style).

I remember thinking it was such an awesome movie when I was a kid, now it's like some cheezed-up Indiana Jones rip-off with a guy in purple spandex instead of a leather jacket. Still a fun watch, though!

The Phantom movie makes me think of that Shadow movie they made around the same time. Also, I totally had one of those promo skull rings and I wore it all the time.

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic
« Reply #145 on: 19 Sep 2012, 16:52 »

I remember thinking it was such an awesome movie when I was a kid

Wait - didn't it just come out a couple of years ago? 

[checks date - 1996!?!??!]

Damn, I'm getting old - my sense of time's slipping.

I know, right? I was under the impression I had only seen it at the cinemas a few years ago... but I was about 10 years off hehe.

The Phantom movie makes me think of that Shadow movie they made around the same time. Also, I totally had one of those promo skull rings and I wore it all the time.

Ooooo I haven't seen that one in a while. TO THE INTERNET!!!

I would have worn the heck out of a skull ring, kudos!
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #146 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:43 »

Day of the Dead (1985)

Some over the top acting but overall quite enjoyable. The two bearded soldier characters (Steele and the other one) freaked me out and gave a feel for the breach between the "brainy" scientists and the "brawny", menacing soldiers, fed up with protecting them. Also it has just the right length (102 min) not to bore those twitchy people like me.

ackblom12

« Reply #147 on: 02 Oct 2012, 16:55 »

Well, I recently re-watched Clive Barker's Nightbreed and then I found out about this!

Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut

Lupercal

« Reply #148 on: 04 Oct 2012, 12:42 »

Prometheus.

I don't see what people disliked about it. Solid flick.

Fuck I have so many problems with that film it is ridiculous. Don't understand all the positive media attention.

This guy pretty much sums up all the questions I had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

OH HEY EVERYONE

Go see Looper. Seriously. Brilliant, clever, makes you think why time travel movies had to have so many 'rules' before this one. Won't say too much more though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #149 on: 04 Oct 2012, 15:35 »

I watched Akira for the first time the night before last; I'm still trying to get my head back on straight. 

Highly recommended, I think, but not an easy watch in some respects (and I don't really mean the violence, which is organic to the story, and quite acceptable in context to my mind).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53   Go Up