THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 484021 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #1950 on: 08 May 2018, 15:04 »

I just watched The Imposter.

I watched it on the recommendation of (don't click yet) this video. In it, the narrator suggests right up front that if you have not seen them film, you should stop watching the video and go and see the film without even checking what genre it is.

I did this, and now enthusiastically recommend you do the same thing. This film is worthwhile, engaging, and cleverly made.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1951 on: 10 May 2018, 16:42 »

I clicked and realized I thought you were talking about the Matt Damon movie The Informant! I didn't watch the video, but I may check out the movie.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1952 on: 14 May 2018, 06:58 »

I misunderstood. I thought it was the 2001 movie Impostor which is a Scifi movie starring Gary Sinise and Vincent D'Onofrio about someone who may be a cyborg duplicate that traded places with a scientist to take down the shield that protects earth from an alien invasion.  A witch hunt begins to chase down the scientist as he may be an impostor! It makes you wonder if the lead is innocent and the government paranoia has run rampant, or if maybe he isn't who he thinks he is.

Not the greatest movie ever but I quite liked it.  Really has you guessing throughout the movie.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1953 on: 14 May 2018, 08:29 »

Finally saw A Quiet Place. I liked it, maybe it got a little over-hyped around me because I wasn't feeling the "jump at every popcorn crunch" experience people were describing. I liked how it went straight into it and didn't try to explain everything and it was something a bit different. I wanted to get to see it in the cinema thinking it would likely be a better experience in the cinema environment than watching at home, for the first go at least.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1954 on: 14 May 2018, 19:23 »

I saw it in theaters too having heard that hype, unfortunately a couple next to me talked for most of the movie while it was slow

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1955 on: 18 May 2018, 18:22 »

I finally watched Mary and the Witch's Flower. It was....okay. This is probably the best way to explain how I felt about it:
With Mary and the Witch's Flower, [Studio Ponoc has] come both too close and not close enough, resulting in an adventure that can never climb out of the uncanny valley it digs for itself.

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #1956 on: 22 May 2018, 11:14 »

Deadpool 2.

Not quite as good as the first but still an enjoyable watch.

Not going to bother an analysis of the plot but there is one brilliant thing I think worth mentioning. One of the characters is revealed as gay (its not exactly a surprise reveal) and then nothing is made of that. Its about the fourth or fifth time I've seen that this year and its really pleasing to see non-het sexuality not being used as a plot device. Another little step past "normalising" to being normal.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1957 on: 22 May 2018, 17:07 »

I was going to ask who, but then I remembered. It was such a non-surprise that I completely forgot about it.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1958 on: 01 Jun 2018, 14:41 »

I just watched Deadpool 2 and I enjoyed it. I especially liked Domino

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1959 on: 07 Jun 2018, 06:13 »

No Date, No Signature

A powerful and well-made film, even though I'm aware that at least one cultural aspect of the story sailed over my head.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1960 on: 10 Jun 2018, 13:43 »

Saw Ocean's 8 and Hereditary. Ocean's 8 didn't really have any surprises, it was pretty by the book, but the cast was so much fun (and clearly had so much fun making it) that I enjoyed it the whole way through. Hereditary was...intense. I won't say anything else, because I went in blind, and I've heard the trailer is super spoilery, so if you can handle some really, really harsh and intense things happening, go for it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #1961 on: 13 Jun 2018, 09:39 »

I saw Logan Lucky tonight. A fun enough heist movie, I guess.

I saw it a few weekends ago with the kids.  It's hilarious, has a TWist, and was fun picking out all the NASCAR driver cameos.  :-D

My wife and I finally got around to seeing "Logan Lucky" the other day. It was one of the best surprises I've had in a long time. I loved it. It was a textbook on "Show, don't tell." The camera just sat there and trusted the scene to unspool, instead of making five jump cuts per second, as so many directors seem to think it necessary to do nowadays. That aspect reminded me of the first season of "Daredevil". The performances were deliciously dry. The script didn't condescend to explain anything. Again, on every level, it trusted the audience and showed instead of telling. Marvelous.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1962 on: 15 Jun 2018, 11:46 »

Saw The Incredibles 2 today. Dunno if I’d say it’s better or even as good, but I really liked it. It was definitely a worthy successor to the first one.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1963 on: 15 Jun 2018, 13:01 »

Saw Ocean's 8 and Hereditary. Ocean's 8 didn't really have any surprises, it was pretty by the book, but the cast was so much fun (and clearly had so much fun making it) that I enjoyed it the whole way through. Hereditary was...intense. I won't say anything else, because I went in blind, and I've heard the trailer is super spoilery, so if you can handle some really, really harsh and intense things happening, go for it.

My cousin and I were both fans of the Witch so I'm tempted to see Hereditary with him

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #1964 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:19 »

My cousin and I were both fans of the Witch so I'm tempted to see Hereditary with him

Saw Hereditary yesterday, also partly because I loved the Witch. To both me and my partner, we left feeling underwhelmed and with the lingering feeling that the movie does not quite live up to its potential. Even though we went in blind, perhaps our expectations were too high due to the great reviews from critics....I understand that moviegoers have not really been that enthusiastic about it and I can see why.

Movies like the Witch and Babadook are far superior in my view.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1965 on: 25 Jun 2018, 14:50 »

Just watched Incredibles 2 and it was worth the 14 year wait

Also, I completely forgot that Tony looked like this

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1966 on: 26 Jun 2018, 16:22 »

Just out of Hereditary. I really liked it, made me think of a lot of other films in a good way. Like someone took elements they liked in other horror films and put them together and it worked really well. After one of the graphic scenes, the lad behind me sounding shocked said, "Fuck this man." and yeah, that summed up a lot of my reaction.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1967 on: 03 Jul 2018, 17:23 »

I went and watched Black Panther, now that it's available on demand.

(click to show/hide)

Aside from that, good movie. Kinda wish we'd have seen more of Wakanda.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #1968 on: 04 Jul 2018, 02:30 »

@ LTK,

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1969 on: 04 Jul 2018, 12:37 »

Ant-Man and the Wasp

It was f-ANT-astic :o much better as a movie than eg. Infinity War and even GotG2. Great cast where everyone pulls their weight and there is no shortage of laugh-out-loud funny scenes. I'm glad Hannah John-Kamen is getting movie roles but obviously sad that this keeps her away from Killjoys :o
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2018, 23:57 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1970 on: 04 Jul 2018, 14:41 »

@ LTK,

(click to show/hide)

I'm aware of that, but I didn't get the impression he was totally evil. It would be nice if the villain wasn't beyond redemption once in a while.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1971 on: 04 Jul 2018, 15:42 »

@ LTK,

(click to show/hide)

I'm aware of that, but I didn't get the impression he was totally evil. It would be nice if the villain wasn't beyond redemption once in a while.

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1972 on: 06 Jul 2018, 11:10 »

Ant-Man and the Wasp

It was f-ANT-astic
Just saw it, and I both agree with this and I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of it before I saw it here.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #1973 on: 09 Jul 2018, 01:59 »

My local library showed Yor, the Hunter from the Future on Friday. It was bad. Bad in a way that was often amusing and mostly confusing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1974 on: 02 Sep 2018, 19:44 »

Saw The Meg on Sunday.

Not a bad film, definitely worth a rewatch when it comes out on DVD. A little disappointed that Jason Statham didn't punch the shark more, but in all fairness there were some genuinely scary moments and some outright funny parts.

That said, having read the book years ago, this is definitely a case where they've taken a couple of character names and the shark from the book and made a completely different story. And I'm still trying to decide if that is a good thing or not.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1975 on: 04 Sep 2018, 09:41 »

Rented Ready Player One last Saturday.

Love the book (basically a giant nerd jerkoff fantasy, but since I'm a giant nerd jerkoff, and grew up in the '70s/'80s, it's right in my wheelhouse). I've read it once, and listened to the Wil-Wheaton-narrated audio twice.

I enjoyed the movie quite a lot, despite it being almost-but-not-quite-entirely-unlike the source material. I figured the screenwriters decided the quest tasks in the book were a little too niche-nerdy (Tomb of Horrors, Zork, that Black Tiger game I have no familiarity with, etc) and also for copyright reasons probably couldn't have Wade playing David Leightman in Wargames, so I understand some of the story changes.

Anyway, 7/10, would watch again.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1976 on: 04 Sep 2018, 09:44 »

...also I fucking hate Van Halen, and "Jump" is their worst song, so if it had to be in the movie (IT DIDN'T) at least it was right at the beginning and gotten over with right away.
stePH
--

cybersmurf

« Reply #1977 on: 04 Sep 2018, 10:50 »

Saw The Meg on Sunday.

Not a bad film, definitely worth a rewatch when it comes out on DVD. A little disappointed that Jason Statham didn't punch the shark more, but in all fairness there were some genuinely scary moments and some outright funny parts.

That said, having read the book years ago, this is definitely a case where they've taken a couple of character names and the shark from the book and made a completely different story. And I'm still trying to decide if that is a good thing or not.

I flat out started laughing when Jason Statham had the line "Just keep swimming"
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1978 on: 04 Sep 2018, 11:45 »

Looking back, it was a better film then I thought it was going to be.

(click to show/hide)

Anyway, beside those two minor faults, I liked it and I'd watch the Meg again.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1979 on: 06 Nov 2018, 12:39 »

Reflecting on Scott Pilgrim vs The World movie. I saw it months ago with my wife and I have to say, I think I liked it, but don't think i would rewatch it.  It just feels like an investment to watch it since its so long.  The ending was ok but nothing that really blew my socks off.  The Clash at Demonhead cover of Back Sheep is better than the original IMHO.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1980 on: 06 Nov 2018, 14:55 »

Scott Pilgrim has some cool shit in it, but I struggle to enjoy it because almost nobody else seems to clock that he's the villain in his own movie. Didn't they change the ending from the one in the comic, too?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1981 on: 06 Nov 2018, 14:59 »

I didn't think that the Scott Pilgrim movie worked as well as the comic books (quite apart from the ending - as so often the film was made before the original story was finished).  But for me the biggest problem was that I felt that Michael Cera just didn't look right for the part of Scott.

OTOH, it was a facetious comparison of the film to the anime FLCL (because they're both so frenetic) which got me interested in anime - I'd already seen Evangelion, but I might not have gone any further without the alternative view that FLCL gave me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1982 on: 06 Nov 2018, 15:03 »

Scott Pilgrim has some cool shit in it, but I struggle to enjoy it because almost nobody else seems to clock that he's the villain in his own movie.

You may be amused by what I wrote about it shortly after seeing the film, and then FLCL:
Quote from: myself
Scott Pilgrim, on the other hand, I found a compulsive read.  The character of Scott is a convincing depiction of a drifter in his early 20s, quite similar to some I know, in fact.  The way he approaches the difficulties in his developing relationship (represented by the evil exes) is also nicely shown - and again realistic in the way that several of them he can only beat with support from his friends or outside help (the Vegan Police!).  His, and Ramona's, problems with deciding whether the effort is worthwhile are also well covered.  And as an outside observer of the culture concerned, I found discovering details of the references to music and games most intriguing as well.  The film doesn't, on the whole, quite measure up to the books, I think.  Although I can't criticise his playing of the part, I simply didn't find that Michael Cera looked the part somehow; and the ending was weak in comparison with the books (which of course hadn't been finished when the screenplay was written).  But the fantastic energy and pace of the film, and the way it incorporated print and game effects into the live action, were all highly impressive, making it a worthwhile film to see in spite of its flaws; the music wasn't bad either.  So when someone in a now defunct forum described Scott Pilgrim as "the shitty FLCL", obviously I had to find out what they were talking about.

You may also recall that when I had a changing avatar, the greatest number of images were of Scott (I still use one of them on my Discord account).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1983 on: 06 Nov 2018, 15:12 »

I remember it well. Many lengthy discussions about what your avatar actually 'was.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1984 on: 07 Nov 2018, 00:31 »

Just watched the "Hellblazer: City of Demons" animated movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6404896/

Not too shabby at all!
Voice didn't sit quite right with me, but then neither does the dude on the TV series.

(Annnd I just found out it's the same guy doing the voice - so there's that!)  :)

Only thing is, it has no bearing on the Hellblazer comic series also called City of Demons.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1985 on: 07 Nov 2018, 06:41 »

Saw the new Halloween. Actually saw it on Halloween. It was really good, loved Jamie Lee Curtis and I'd watched the original the night before so noticed a lot of cool moments and references. Some more obvious than others. Definitely felt like the film was made with a lot of love and passion for the first film, and a tiny bit of loving disdain for every other film in the franchise.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1986 on: 23 Nov 2018, 19:12 »

Huh. The new live-action Lion King trailer is out. Not sure I wanna watch it. But I guess I'll check the trailer out.

*plays trailer*

OH COME ON MAN THAT IS SO UNFAIR

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1987 on: 23 Nov 2018, 19:33 »

Netflix just released a new movie called "The Christmas Chronicles." I watched it with my wife this morning and its pretty good. Its as if you took "The Santa Clause" "Hocus Pocus" and "Adventures in Babysitting" and put them in a blender. Kurt Russell stars as Santa Claus. I think Mrs. Claus was a nod to the parents watching but my wife totally called it. The elves are a bit of creepy and cute. Like a gnome was gene-spliced with a cat. Worth a watch if you want to get in the Christmas spirit with a cheesy Christmas movie that has more of a budget than made for TV movies. Its certainly better than those Hallmark channel Christmas movies.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1988 on: 24 Nov 2018, 07:04 »

Netflix just released a new movie called "The Christmas Chronicles."
... Its certainly better than those Hallmark channel Christmas movies.
Wow, talk about damning with faint praise.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1989 on: 24 Nov 2018, 07:27 »

I mean, its not Oscar worthy by any stretch, but it was a ton of fun.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1990 on: 24 Nov 2018, 13:18 »

I mean, its not Oscar worthy by any stretch, but it was a ton of fun.
IJS, "better than those Hallmark channel Christmas movies" sets a bar so low you could step over it.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1991 on: 24 Nov 2018, 15:57 »

I'm sure LeeC got your drift. I mean, I did, and I've never seen one.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1992 on: 24 Nov 2018, 17:56 »

I'm sure LeeC got your drift. I mean, I did, and I've never seen one.
A drift?
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1993 on: 24 Nov 2018, 19:24 »

Sorry. The phrase "to get your drift" means to fully understand what you are saying or suggesting.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1994 on: 25 Nov 2018, 06:48 »

:-D
stePH
--

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1995 on: 26 Nov 2018, 01:21 »

Huh. The new live-action Lion King trailer is out. Not sure I wanna watch it. But I guess I'll check the trailer out.

*plays trailer*

OH COME ON MAN THAT IS SO UNFAIR

The Lion King never gelled with me at all... dunno why.

A point of musing though... at what point does CGI animation become classed as real-life?
(I get the distinction, but the pedant in me is screaming - NO IT ISN'T!!!)  :)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #1996 on: 26 Nov 2018, 03:27 »

You are right, of course. Well, I called it 'live-action', not 'real-life', but it is neither. It's some kind of motion-tracked animation afaik.

dutchrvl

« Reply #1997 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:07 »

Saw the new Netflix-released Coen brothers movie "The legend of Buster Scruggs".

I say movie, but it's really a collection of 6 unconnected shorts with an overarching old western theme. It's rather good and very enjoyable. The benefit of it being 6 shorts is that there are few if any filler scenes, plus if a story is not engaging to you it doesn't last long either ;)

But seriously, it's good; typical Coen movie in many ways, interesting shorts with some unpredictable endings and generally wellcast and likable actors.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #1998 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:17 »

Saw the new Netflix-released Coen brothers movie "The legend of Buster Scruggs".
[snip]
But seriously, it's good; typical Coen movie in many ways, interesting shorts with some unpredictable endings and generally wellcast and likable actors.
How does it measure up to Blood Simple? That's my high-water mark for Coen films; while I've enjoyed most of their other films I consider the most popular ones to be overrated (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, etc.)
stePH
--

dutchrvl

« Reply #1999 on: 26 Nov 2018, 09:58 »

[snip]
How does it measure up to Blood Simple? That's my high-water mark for Coen films; while I've enjoyed most of their other films I consider the most popular ones to be overrated (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, etc.)

Sorry, I've not seen that one. For me, it was slightly better than Brother where art thou, better than hail caesar, much better than burn after reading or true grit, about equal to the big Lebowski, slightly less than Fargo, and worse than No country for old men (but the latter is a different type of movie anyway).
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Up