Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 17 Dec 2018, 04:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 149624 times)

dutchrvl

• FIGHT YOU
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2000 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:07 »

Saw the new Netflix-released Coen brothers movie "The legend of Buster Scruggs".

I say movie, but it's really a collection of 6 unconnected shorts with an overarching old western theme. It's rather good and very enjoyable. The benefit of it being 6 shorts is that there are few if any filler scenes, plus if a story is not engaging to you it doesn't last long either ;)

But seriously, it's good; typical Coen movie in many ways, interesting shorts with some unpredictable endings and generally wellcast and likable actors.

Theta9

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Cool story, bro.
« Reply #2001 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:17 »

Saw the new Netflix-released Coen brothers movie "The legend of Buster Scruggs".
[snip]
But seriously, it's good; typical Coen movie in many ways, interesting shorts with some unpredictable endings and generally wellcast and likable actors.
How does it measure up to Blood Simple? That's my high-water mark for Coen films; while I've enjoyed most of their other films I consider the most popular ones to be overrated (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, etc.)
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dutchrvl

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2002 on: 26 Nov 2018, 09:58 »

[snip]
How does it measure up to Blood Simple? That's my high-water mark for Coen films; while I've enjoyed most of their other films I consider the most popular ones to be overrated (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, etc.)

Sorry, I've not seen that one. For me, it was slightly better than Brother where art thou, better than hail caesar, much better than burn after reading or true grit, about equal to the big Lebowski, slightly less than Fargo, and worse than No country for old men (but the latter is a different type of movie anyway).

Theta9

• Cool story, bro.
« Reply #2003 on: 26 Nov 2018, 10:19 »

Blood Simple was their first. It's a brilliant tight crime thriller, and my favorite thing about it is the way everybody goes around with mistaken assumptions based on incomplete information - nobody but the viewer has the whole story.

Plus the opening voiceover has one of the greatest quotables ever: "In Russia, they got a system where everyone pulls for everyone else, or that's the theory of it anyway. But what I know is Texas, and out here, you're on your own."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2004 on: 26 Nov 2018, 13:55 »

Saw the horror movie Hereditary recently.

If you're a horror man, you need to see this movie. It's absolutely JAMMED with the tropes of the genre, but it is done with so much flair and so much grounding in real human reactions to trauma that it's one of the most startlingly disturbing and frightening movies I've ever seen.

In the closing half hour, I was gripped, because I definitely didn't want to see what happened next but oh my God I have to see what happens next. That, friends, is horror.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Theta9

• Cool story, bro.
« Reply #2005 on: 26 Nov 2018, 14:52 »

Talking of horror, I just watched Happy Death Day this morning (yeah, I'm behind the curve; I see very few films in theaters these days.)

I had a hard time suspending disbelief in the case of
(click to show/hide)
Maybe it's because she's a privileged white girl? I dunno.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]   Go Up