THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483948 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2100 on: 13 May 2019, 11:47 »

To be fair, Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World, the two Marvel movies I dislike the most, are better then most of the DC movies to date

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2101 on: 14 May 2019, 10:09 »

To be fair, Iron Man 2 and Thor: The Dark World, the two Marvel movies I dislike the most, are better then most of the DC movies to date

I put The Incredible Hulk at the bottom of my list, but as I like to say:

The MCU films range in quality from "excellent" to "just okay" - with most near the upper end of the scale.

The DCEU films range in quality from "pretty good" to "fucking awful", with most near the lower end (BvS: Dawn of Justice being the absolute nadir.)
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2102 on: 14 May 2019, 10:51 »

Why did you say that name? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2103 on: 14 May 2019, 12:57 »

Wonder Woman was much more than pretty good.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2104 on: 14 May 2019, 13:16 »

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are fantastic films, but at the same time, I think DC is going to be a very distant second to Marvel now in the film stakes. Possibly even third with the Monsterverse about to release Godzilla: KotM.

There's just something about the casting in Marvel films where they got it just right. Robert Downey Jr is perfect as Tony Stark, Chris Evans is perfect as Steve Rogers, Chris Helmsworth is perfect as Thor, the list goes on. But with the DC films, the casting always felt like they couldn't get their first choice and ended up having to go for the third or fourth choice.

As well as that, yeah, the Marvel films could get dark, you need only look at Infinity War to know how dark it can get, but there's always that vein of Marvel humour that runs through them. Its hard to find that in the DC films.

But anyway, looking forward to what they have planned for Phase 4.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2105 on: 14 May 2019, 13:58 »

Rolling in all their money?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2106 on: 14 May 2019, 14:07 »

Oh definitely don't mistake me for defending the DC movie universe because I am not. And Wonder Woman is very good, but most of what pushes it to great is about what it is and represents rather than its quality as a movie, and the other DC movies I have seen seem to be pretty atrocious.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2107 on: 15 May 2019, 07:22 »

And Wonder Woman is very good, but most of what pushes it to great is about what it is and represents rather than its quality as a movie,...
A lot like Black Panther in that regard.
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2108 on: 15 May 2019, 07:25 »

As well as that, yeah, the Marvel films could get dark, you need only look at Infinity War to know how dark it can get, but there's always that vein of Marvel humour that runs through them. Its hard to find that in the DC films.
The DCEU was kneecapped from the beginning by Zack Snyder, who seems to think all superhero movies should be just like Watchmen. Hence the grim and humorless tone.
stePH
--

dutchrvl

« Reply #2109 on: 15 May 2019, 10:39 »

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are fantastic films, but at the same time, I think DC is going to be a very distant second to Marvel now in the film stakes. Possibly even third with the Monsterverse about to release Godzilla: KotM.

There's just something about the casting in Marvel films where they got it just right. Robert Downey Jr is perfect as Tony Stark, Chris Evans is perfect as Steve Rogers, Chris Helmsworth is perfect as Thor, the list goes on. But with the DC films, the casting always felt like they couldn't get their first choice and ended up having to go for the third or fourth choice.

But anyway, looking forward to what they have planned for Phase 4.

With regards to casting, tend to agree with you, but at the same time the public's opinion on how well a character was cast depends a lot on how the character is written too.
For the DC films, I actually think Cavill is pretty well-cast as Superman, but the storylines have not been great (although I actually like Man of Steel). Wonderwoman was a good casting choice, and Ezra Miller is okay. Affleck didn't work out great but TBH there was a masisve disadvantage of having to follow in Bale's footsteps. Couldn't really go well at all, no matter who was the choice. Ezra Miller is not bad.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2110 on: 15 May 2019, 14:15 »

The DCEU was kneecapped from the beginning by Zack Snyder, who seems to think all superhero movies should be just like Watchmen. Hence the grim and humorless tone.

I think its a little unfair to lay all the failings for the DCEU's failings at the feet of Zack Snyder.

In truth, those failings are more the fault of Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight Saga. Now, by no means am I saying that they were bad films, the Dark Knight is one of the best superhero films ever made, but Nolan's take on Batman being the "most realistic" superhero couldn't translate to a more diverse universe that Batman belongs to (it also being wildly successful meant that DC thought it set the bar for other films, in the end The Dark Knight Saga was too successful for it and DC's own good). Nor does his tragic origin/life means every other hero needs to suffer the same way. Look at Man of Steel, where the man who is pretty much the polar opposite of Batman is basically treated as the same as Batman, but with less black and more red and blue.

And if the rumours are true, the executives in the DC film department rather arrogantly dismissed the idea of a shared cinematic universe, despite the fact that Marvel was gearing up for one, something that was equally more apparent with each successive film. While its true that the first few films in the MCU were moderate successes compared to the Dark Knight, the fact that people were getting more and more excited about an Avengers film meant that DC should have gotten off their asses and began their own cinematic universe. And it was a massive misstep that they didn't, one that DC will never come back from. I mean, if you look at the top 25 highest grossing films, 8 are Marvel films and only one is a DC film and that's Aquaman, with Endgame looking to overtake Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time by the end of the month.

Zack Snyder might be making the DCEU dark and gritty, but the executives are still the ones making the decisions that allow him to do that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2111 on: 16 May 2019, 16:05 »

So I'm watching Infinity War because I never bothered to and I'm seeing Endgame with my mum tomorrow, so I am going to write my thoughts on it down in here as we go, cause why not?

Caution, it gets a bit... weird. I was at a funeral for most of the rest of today.
(click to show/hide)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2112 on: 20 May 2019, 02:57 »

I watched Sucker Punch, which I've not been able to find on any on-demand movie service (bizarrely) but happened to be on TV while I was petsitting for someone. It wasn't as off-the-wall as I was expecting, not by far. The battle sequences are an order of magnitude more fantastical than the average action movie but they serve a purpose and their symbolism is obvious. I liked it, it reminded me a lot of The Darkness 2, which is a game with a similar story but kind of in reverse.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2113 on: 20 May 2019, 06:39 »

ok slight breach of protocol here.

I am going to watch Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind tomorrow, which is back in theaters for a couple of days for its 35th anniversary (35 years old, crazy!). I have been wanting to see it for a long time (which is odd since I have watched the other well-known Miyazaki movies) and am super-excited that I can see it in a nice theater! :)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2114 on: 20 May 2019, 08:50 »

I am going to watch Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind tomorrow, which is back in theaters for a couple of days for its 35th anniversary (35 years old, crazy!). I have been wanting to see it for a long time (which is odd since I have watched the other well-known Miyazaki movies) and am super-excited that I can see it in a nice theater! :)
I've owned the DVD for years and I've still yet to put it in a player. In fact I'm not sure I've even pulled the shrink wrap off.
stePH
--

dutchrvl

« Reply #2115 on: 20 May 2019, 11:40 »

I've owned the DVD for years and I've still yet to put it in a player. In fact I'm not sure I've even pulled the shrink wrap off.

You still have a DVD player? :-D

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2116 on: 20 May 2019, 12:33 »

I have two.  One in my desktop (which is not connected to power after I had to replace the PSU), and one in the laptop which I haven't tested since it took a spill and I had to get bits replaced.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2117 on: 20 May 2019, 17:13 »

I still have a VHS player. Just saying.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2118 on: 20 May 2019, 19:46 »

Just finished Season 1 of Taboo.

Not half bad.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

dutchrvl

« Reply #2119 on: 22 May 2019, 05:01 »

I still have a VHS player. Just saying.

Oh, I do think I still have a Philips video 2000 system in storage somewhere, although I honestly have no idea what to do with it, it's mostly there to remind me of Philips' history of piss-poor marketing strategies  :-D

dutchrvl

« Reply #2120 on: 22 May 2019, 05:03 »

Saw it yesterday at the AMC, and it was (as expected) a really nice experience, and the movie itself is just lovely with such great and still current themes.
Given that the movie is 35 years old it's pretty remarkable how well it has held up both in terms of story and animation quality.

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #2121 on: 24 May 2019, 09:38 »

I went to see Woman At War a few weeks back.

Having now seen a few nuggets from the recent rounds of Marvel movies I'm going to make the bold statement that it is orders of magnitude better.

I realise its Scandi tree-hugging hippy nonsense but honestly this will be the best hero movie you see this year. Make the effort, its beautiful.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2122 on: 24 May 2019, 12:57 »

I just saw Endgame. Loved it. Teared up a bit.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Ignominious

« Reply #2123 on: 25 May 2019, 12:31 »

Just been to see Beats, a coming of age story set against a backdrop of deprivation and the illegal rave scene in the mid 90s. Absolutely stunning storytelling and wonderfully human.

Sadly I can't easily recommend going to see it as its in about 90% weegee and a lot of you won't understand half the dialogue.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2124 on: 25 May 2019, 18:05 »

After watching Ghost in the Shell, it struck me that ScarJo's controversial casting actually makes a whole lot of sense, given the story and the origin of her 'shell'. I didn't know anything about Gits before this so this may be more surprising to me than to others.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2125 on: 26 May 2019, 06:54 »

After watching Ghost in the Shell, it struck me that ScarJo's controversial casting actually makes a whole lot of sense, given the story and the origin of her 'shell'.
I thought the same. As I said before, this is more like Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3 than like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
stePH
--

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2126 on: 26 May 2019, 09:26 »

Still baffled by the amount of outrage sparked by Kingsley's casting. It was the best thing in an otherwise rubbish movie.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2127 on: 26 May 2019, 11:19 »

Still baffled by the amount of outrage sparked by Kingsley's casting. It was the best thing in an otherwise rubbish movie.
(click to show/hide)
stePH
--

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2128 on: 26 May 2019, 11:26 »

(click to show/hide)

cybersmurf

« Reply #2129 on: 26 May 2019, 12:07 »

I get both the reasons why casting ScarJo for GitS is a bad choice, and why it doesn't matter. Given it's a synthetic body, it shouldn't matter, but the cultural aspect shouldn't be ignored either. ScarJo was a choice, and in the end I was more annoyed at the script than the casting. The script was rather bland, and some iconic scenes from the animes stringed together by a Hollywood script.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2130 on: 26 May 2019, 13:20 »

I get both the reasons why casting ScarJo for GitS is a bad choice, and why it doesn't matter. Given it's a synthetic body, it shouldn't matter, but the cultural aspect shouldn't be ignored either. ScarJo was a choice, and in the end I was more annoyed at the script than the casting. The script was rather bland, and some iconic scenes from the animes stringed together by a Hollywood script.
Those recreations of the anime's most notable set pieces were the best part.
stePH
--

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2131 on: 27 May 2019, 08:18 »

I watched three movies: Mortal Engines, Holmes and Watson, and Hells

Mortal Engines was a lot better than I expected for a AAA movie to come and go like it did.
Holmes and Watson is as bad as you've heard it is. I love Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, but I only lasted for 10 minutes
Hells is an animated movie with a nice sense of style, but the story is really lacking (at least in the english dub, didn't wanna try the original subtitled). It did however have a character called Hellvis
« Last Edit: 27 May 2019, 10:26 by Blue Kitty »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2132 on: 27 May 2019, 08:28 »

Holmes and Watson is as bad as you've heard it is. I loved Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, but I only lasted for 10 minutes

I don't particularly like Ferrell, and Riley is nothing to me. But while I tolerated Robert Downey Jr in the role, Ferrell as Sherlock Holmes is a desecration.
stePH
--

Ignominious

« Reply #2133 on: 27 May 2019, 14:24 »

Booksmart.

Great movie coming of age movie that sails close to the wind on cliches and manages to satirise them in a great way that doesn't labour the point and really lets the story keep the driving seat. Punchy humour. Highly advised.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2134 on: 27 May 2019, 14:41 »

(click to show/hide)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2135 on: 29 May 2019, 13:37 »

Those recreations of the anime's most notable set pieces were the best part.
I actually found them annoying because they were taken completely out of context and seemed to be placed there just to try to please fans of the earlier film but obviously done by people with no understanding of the original work.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2136 on: 29 May 2019, 14:31 »

That film was mostly forgettable for me, and I'm not even sure that I finished it.  I found that a lot of the stuff that reminded me of the anime was as you said, just a form of fanservice.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2137 on: 30 May 2019, 05:43 »

Detective Pikachu...

You know exactly how it's gonna go from about 20mins in...

Still fun though!
:)

My only problem? Gengar looked wrong!  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2138 on: 30 May 2019, 06:53 »

Isn't that the point, Gengar is a ghost pokemon. Its meant to look wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2139 on: 30 May 2019, 07:03 »

Maybe this belongs in the "Confessions" thread, but the only pokemon that I know are Pikachu and Magicarp (and the latter only because of people "Carping" in PoGo.  But from the trailers, I really want to see this film.

Ignominious

« Reply #2140 on: 31 May 2019, 01:55 »

The only pokemon I know are Pikachu and Blastosaurus. Obviously now Magicarp. I'm imagining a spellcasting fish in a wizard hat.

Can't imagine I'll watch. Fancy a crack at High Life though.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2141 on: 31 May 2019, 04:42 »

Isn't that the point, Gengar is a ghost pokemon. Its meant to look wrong.

Yoouuuu know what I meeannn!!!!  :)

Covenant

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2142 on: 31 May 2019, 04:50 »

I didn't realise the Canterville Ghost had joined the forum.  :-P

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2143 on: 31 May 2019, 04:52 »

I didn't realise the Canterville Ghost had joined the forum.  :-P

He joined ages ago... you just couldn't see him!
Covenant

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2144 on: 31 May 2019, 05:16 »

I watched Maquia (a recent Japanese animated film).  Don't watch it if you're not prepared for a strong weepy (this aspect has put some reviewers off in a serious way)!  It's also a somewhat confused story, as there is a main story but with a lot of quite intricate side-stories as well; again, your reaction might depend on how you view these - some reviewers feel the film isn't long enough to do justice to the whole range of characters, and others feel it should be shortened by excising them altogether.  Me, I'm happy with the way it is, because the good so strongly outweighs the bad.

An aspect which confused some people is that the film covers a timescale of at least 70 years, with frequent time skips which are not clearly signalled.  But this is actually important, because we are being shown the viewpoint of the title character, who has an expected lifespan of hundreds of years and so retains the same teenage appearance throughout while others age around her.  The other main character (whose changes show us the time skips) is her "son", whom she rescued from a massacre as a baby and then brought up, often agonising over whether she could really be a mother - the film ends with her, still looking like a teen, visiting him on his deathbed and meeting his grandchild. (The son has several different voice actors as he ages through the film.)

If there is a theme, it's that loss, while sad, shouldn't destroy the memories of happiness.  The film is a visual treat, though, and although it's not quite great, it is very well worth watching.  The English dub is also very good, fortunately.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2145 on: 31 May 2019, 15:17 »

Just saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

I believe "Wow" and "Holy crap" best sum it up.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2146 on: 02 Jun 2019, 14:57 »

I watched Book of Life last night.  Its really good and I love the art style. Its a bit predictable but all in all it was fun. 2 gods of death make a wager to see who rules the cool part of the after life and who rules the depressing part. The bet is on which of the 2 boys Maria will choose to marry someday; Monolo the musically inclined bullfighter, or Joaquin the arrogant soldier.  The boys have their own hardships of living in their receptive fathers' shadows that they need to overcome and learn to be themselves.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2147 on: 03 Jun 2019, 12:02 »

I like that film a lot. It's gorgeous.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2148 on: 03 Jun 2019, 17:53 »

Just rewatched The Day of the Jackal. A vastly superior film to the god awful remake The Jackal.

Interesting fact, Frederick Forsyth's original novel revealed a massive security loophole in the British identification system and how easy it was to create a fraudulent identity. Essentially, if you could find a grave with a date of birth listed on it, close to your own (for example, I was born in 1984, but I could look for the early to mid 80s), you could collect a birth certificate and create a fraudulent identity.

Its interesting because the Day of the Jackal was published in 1971. The loophole was closed in 2007.

cybersmurf

« Reply #2149 on: 05 Jun 2019, 02:51 »

Just saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

I believe "Wow" and "Holy crap" best sum it up.

Since I watched Godzilla from a few years ago on Netflix last night (that Hollywood production with Bryan Cranston) and looked something up on IMDB - are these two movies connected somehow?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Up