THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 483785 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2150 on: 05 Jun 2019, 03:35 »

Yes.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the sequel to Godzilla (2014).
Its the third film in the Monsterverse, following Kong: Skull Island.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2151 on: 05 Jun 2019, 06:23 »

I rather liked Godzilla (2014). I know it got a lot of hate for being human-centric and not showing off much of the monster battles until the final act. I thought it was a great choice to do so. It was reminiscent of the original Godzilla (1954) in that regard.  It also built up tension for the third act by doing so.

The only criticism I'm hearing about Godzilla KotM is the inverse of Godzilla (2014). Its monster-centric and not much human stuff/story. I'd be lying if I didn't say I am hyped to see it and will make an effort to if I can get my 8-month pregnant wife to watch the one year old for a couple of hours.

I just realized that the Godzilla (1954) I watched was the american one where they edited in an american journalist and some extra scenes (cutting some others).  I watched a youtuber recently compare the two and I have to say I feel cheated that I didn't see the original Japanese one which had more emotion and poignant message.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2152 on: 05 Jun 2019, 06:43 »

Most of the criticism I've seen has been from the critics who have admitted they never cared for the genre and have openly taken potshots at the Showa and Heisei era films.

And let's be honest, with this kind of film, you don't go for the human drama, you go to see giant creatures beating each other up and wrecking a few cities along the way.

I mean, its a good Godzilla film. Not great. But its definitely worth watching in the cinema.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2153 on: 05 Jun 2019, 07:55 »

Not every movie needs to have a good story and teach you a lesson. Sometimes you just need something braindead to cheer you up.
To each their own, and sometimes that's cheap monster movies.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

oddtail

« Reply #2154 on: 05 Jun 2019, 08:17 »

I finally watched "GoodFellas". It's a really good movie. But boy, is it hard to watch.

(also, given that it's based on real events to some extent, it severely tests my empathy and belief in human goodness. With very sparse exceptions, every time a character died, I was profoundly and viscerally disappointed they died quickly and without prolonged suffering, which is not a reaction I'm proud of, even with fictional characters)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2155 on: 05 Jun 2019, 12:52 »

I finally watched "GoodFellas". It's a really good movie. But boy, is it hard to watch.

(also, given that it's based on real events to some extent, it severely tests my empathy and belief in human goodness. With very sparse exceptions, every time a character died, I was profoundly and viscerally disappointed they died quickly and without prolonged suffering, which is not a reaction I'm proud of, even with fictional characters)
I liked Joe Pesci in that movie. He was funny. 😸
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

oddtail

« Reply #2156 on: 05 Jun 2019, 14:12 »

I don't disagree. But "funny" and "disturbing" are not mutually exclusive. Just look at the Joker.

...now I want Pesci to play the Joker.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2157 on: 05 Jun 2019, 15:05 »

I don't disagree. But "funny" and "disturbing" are not mutually exclusive. Just look at the Joker.
That was a joke. I was playing on how his character took offense to being called "funny."
stePH
--

oddtail

« Reply #2158 on: 05 Jun 2019, 23:22 »

That was a joke. I was playing on how his character took offense to being called "funny."

I do think his behavior is funny in a very dark way, though. When it's not terrifying.

Also, yeah, the point of your comment did go completely over my head. What can I say, I am a dumbass.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2159 on: 06 Jun 2019, 07:45 »

Also, yeah, the point of your comment did go completely over my head. What can I say, I am a dumbass.
I, too, have been a knob more often than I'd like.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2160 on: 08 Jun 2019, 20:01 »

I saw Godzilla King of the Monsters tonight. It was great!!! A true Godzilla movie for the ages. There are a lot of easter eggs and call backs to the original movies in this one which was easy to spot if you're a fan and non-consequential if you're not. Just wish I didn't sit next to a fidgety kid that was playing with his seat and bumping into me/talking during the movie. Barring that, it was amazing and worth seeing in the theater.

(click to show/hide)

The critics seem to hate the movie, meanwhile the audiences seem to love it. I can see why the critics may hate this movie though. The human story is not Shakespeare nor is it going to win Oscars (except maybe in FX), but the audience gets it. It a movie about giant monsters fighting each other, and that's what you get!

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2161 on: 10 Jun 2019, 04:42 »

I, too, have been a knob more often than I'd like.

In what way are you a knob?
Are you saying you're like a round wooden appendage on a door?
Or maybe you're a little plastic deally on some kinda mixing console...
So, like - you're a knob? We're supposed to TURN you, is that it?
In what WAY are you a knob - HUH?!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2162 on: 10 Jun 2019, 13:16 »

The novelization of the movie indicates what Kong was up to during the events of G:KotM

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2163 on: 10 Jun 2019, 14:17 »

I prefer Reddit's explanation.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2164 on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:54 »

Watched Jordan Peele's Get Out yesterday.

Good film, but I'm not sure if it would hold up to a second viewing...

(click to show/hide)
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2165 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:17 »

I finally got around to watching Kong: Skull Island. It was a good movie. Not the most cerebral story, but fun. It is interesting though; Kong is not on screen a lot (he is in it enough though) but the entire story revolves around him. John C Reilly's character was by far the best in the film. I wish we spent more time with him interacting with the team he meets up with. Samuel Jackson's character was also very interesting and reflects the feeling of Vietnam at the time. I really like what they did with his character as he becomes more and more like Captain Ahab. I also liked how the Civilian group seemed to have been doing way better throughout the film than the military group. I commented on that several times while watching it.

Now I'm all caught up on the monster verse for Godzilla v Kong next year.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2166 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:23 »

What's weird to me is just how short Kong is compared to Godzilla

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2167 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:42 »

What's weird to me is just how short Kong is compared to Godzilla

John C. Reilly's character did say he's still growing.  Its been 50ish years since we've seen Kong so he may be a bit bigger now.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2168 on: 12 Jun 2019, 07:54 »

Yeah, they said that Kong was basically a teenager in the 1970s, so he's not fully grown yet. While I doubt he's going to be the same height as Godzilla during the film next year, its not going to be a David and Goliath situation that some people have been thinking of.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2169 on: 12 Jun 2019, 12:43 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Same. I thought she was being used just as much as Chris was.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2170 on: 15 Jun 2019, 05:29 »

A few films, because the Sydney Film Festival has been happening.

In no particular order:
They've all had something to be recommended for (actually, I haven't seen the last one yet, that will be tomorrow).

Happy New Year is probably the most original - the fast cutting and fragmentary editing style was disorienting and could be annoying for some, but I came to realise that it gave an immediate impression of the fractured state of the film's dysfunctional family. Bacurau was a gripping if slightly surreal at times neo-western. Slam had the most immediate political relevance to me. Judy & Punch was an unusual but involving black comedy. Palm Beach was nicely done but not especially memorable, and came off as a bit of a tourist advertisement at times, truth be told. Eternity was a neatly done mix of expository and poetic documentary.

I wish I had time to see more.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2171 on: 23 Jun 2019, 08:59 »

So I mentioned before that I have been watching Fraggle Rock with my 1 year old, and by golly is this show awesome. I did watch a bit of it as a kid, but now seeing it with adult eyes I am amazed at some of the subject matters and writing done for what is essentially a kids HBO show. For example there was an episode where Boober and Red get trapped in a cave in and there isn't much hope of rescue, so the talk about death and how they are ready to die. That's some heavy shit to drop on a kid! Especially by today's standards for kid shows, but they handled it very well that not only a kid could understand but learn from. There was another episode dealing with Doozers and their society norms being challenged by someone that didn't want to do Doozer work. Not because she was lazy as other Doozers would mock her about, but because she would rather draw and design instead of build. There is also a couple of straight up terrifying episodes like when the two rat characters leave the Trash Heap and end up getting abducted by an evil guy that wants to enslave them, and another where this blob thing rolls into town and eats Doozers. I am just amazed at how well written these episodes are. The characters are great too. As a kid I really liked Gobo and Wembley but watching it now I am realizing that Boober is probably the best character out of the main 5 Fraggles. Every one of his episodes are just very well done. I don't think I appreciated his character as a kid because he always seemed like the coward "scaredy cat" guy whereas Gobo was brave. Red is probably the worst character of the group but her flaws allow her to learn how to be a better person albeit stubbornly. We're a ways into season 3 so far, but wow this is probably the best HBO series of all time.

cybersmurf

« Reply #2172 on: 26 Jun 2019, 02:00 »

I've seen Fraggle Rock back when it aired on TV in my home country, and it was the German dub. So, right now I would like to watch that in English, but I need a source. Where are you watching it? streaming it directly from HBO?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2173 on: 26 Jun 2019, 07:31 »

Yeah, we kept our subscription after GoT finished because of it. Its on demand from our cable provider with HBO, so we've been watching an episode or two every night to help get my daughter to bed.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2174 on: 27 Jun 2019, 12:39 »

Did anyone else grow up watching this version of Snow White as opposed to the Disney animated one? No? Just me?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2175 on: 27 Jun 2019, 17:57 »

A bit too late to intersect with my childhood, but regardless -- no, I had no idea of its existence until just now.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2176 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:55 »

A bit too late to intersect with my childhood, but regardless -- no, I had no idea of its existence until just now.
Same.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2177 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:43 »

The magic mirror faces were nightmare fuel.  :venonat:

dutchrvl

« Reply #2178 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:39 »

I do like how the trailer basically tells the whole story and leaves no need to actually watch the movie :)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2179 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:14 »

I do like how the trailer basically tells the whole story and leaves no need to actually watch the movie :)
True, but they just assume you've seen the Disney version or are familiar with the story. Like is Cinderella really going to give you a shocker on what happens? I will say this version of Snow White goes a bit more toward the Grimm Fairy Tale route and do the bodice and comb before the poison apple, like the original story. Plus its just more dark 80s in style. Worth it but then again I haven't seen it since I was like 6 or 7 years old.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2180 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:22 »

Some stories just should not have spoiler warnings any more. After all, it's been around in some form since the 1500s, at least.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

dutchrvl

« Reply #2181 on: 08 Jul 2019, 11:37 »

Saw the new Spiderman yesterday, and I thought it was quite good.

Interesting plot points, good action sequences, and a couple of interesting twists, including in end/post-credits scenes.

Of course a somewhat juvenile slant on the movie, but that was to be expected given Peter only being 16 at this point.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2182 on: 08 Jul 2019, 11:52 »

The portrayal of trauma and guilt and overwhelming pressure is pretty spot on, though.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2183 on: 08 Jul 2019, 18:12 »

Just came back from it and I let out an audible gasp during the end credits

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2184 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:22 »

Not sure this counts but, I saw a trailer for the new Netflix movie "Secret Obsession" and the trailer pretty much gives away the mystery/story. It could have been a great mystery thriller...if they didn't solve the mystery in the trailer.  So now I have no want to see it.  :-\

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2185 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:23 »

Not sure this counts but, I saw a trailer for the new Netflix movie "Secret Obsession" and the trailer pretty much gives away the mystery/story. It could have been a great mystery thriller...if they didn't solve the mystery in the trailer.  So now I have no want to see it.  :-\
I call that "efficiency" 😁
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2186 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:24 »

Knowing how a story ends doesn't necessarily ruin the experience of the story. If that was the case, no one would ever read or watch anything more than once.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2187 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:29 »

If the trailer didn't set it up to be a mystery thriller I'd agree with you, but since it did and revealed the twist, you pretty much know you're just getting a 2019 retelling of
(click to show/hide)
instead of a mystery.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2188 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:33 »

You can still enjoy it for what it is, then.

Although, I wouldn't put too much stock in what a trailer reveals, either. A trailer can be cut to look like it is revealing more than it is.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2189 on: 09 Jul 2019, 07:48 »

That's true. Maybe I just feel this way because the part of the story I found compelling was fully told in the trailer.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2190 on: 09 Jul 2019, 09:23 »

I am severely spoiled allergic.

Rewatching is obviously a thing, but I greatly enjoy the purity of the first complete experience of something.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #2191 on: 09 Jul 2019, 13:45 »

I certainly prefer it, especially since many works are specifically designed to be experienced as such, with particular information being dealt on in a particular way to evoke particular emotive responses.  However, a well crafted film can still be fully enjoyed even knowing everything about it. Sometimes, even more so.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2192 on: 11 Jul 2019, 10:01 »

I just watched How to Train Your Dragon 3 and it didn't have the same emotional sting as the first 2, at least to me

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2193 on: 18 Jul 2019, 08:48 »

After watching this video essay, I should give Megamind another shot.  Granted, when I did see it, I came in halfway through the movie. I think the human character designs kind of threw me so I never went out of my way to watch it.

Why Megamind is a Subversive Masterpiece

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2194 on: 18 Jul 2019, 18:35 »

Yeah, Megamind was an underrated gem of a movie. It's weird to think that it and How to Train Your Dragon came out in the same year, and yet we have a bunch of Madagascar and Ice Age movies but only one of Megamind

I just watched Happy Death Day and Happy Death Day 2 U in pretty much one sitting. Both are very good, you'll be a little lost without watching the first one but it catches you up pretty quick. But great horror/time travel shenanigans
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2019, 08:20 by Blue Kitty »

Tova

• coprophage
~
« Reply #2195 on: 18 Jul 2019, 21:13 »

Not a movie, but I watched Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein and thought it was clever and hilarious. There are a lot of confused reviews of it out there. Ultimately, it's all a bit pointless, but it's a very entertainingly pointless ~30 minutes. It was worth it for the parody of old made-for-TV plays alone.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2196 on: 21 Jul 2019, 07:53 »

I just watched Justice League. It was very meh, and trying to hard IMHO. It didn't really feel like JL until:
(click to show/hide)

At that point it seemed great, but it was too little too late.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2197 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:59 »

LEON...

Just introduced the boys to LEON...

Let me say it again...

LEON...

You know who should watch LEON...?
"EEEVERRRYOOOONNNEEE!"
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

dutchrvl

« Reply #2198 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:14 »

Just watched "I am mother" on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. Solid cinematography and a very good turn from the lead female Clara Rugaard.
The story is somewhat derivative I suppose but still found an original slant and it remained intriguing and tense all throughout the end.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2199 on: 03 Aug 2019, 20:20 »

I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Up