Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 17 Nov 2019, 06:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 198451 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2200 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:59 »

LEON...

Just introduced the boys to LEON...

Let me say it again...

LEON...

You know who should watch LEON...?
"EEEVERRRYOOOONNNEEE!"
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

dutchrvl

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2201 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:14 »

Just watched "I am mother" on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. Solid cinematography and a very good turn from the lead female Clara Rugaard.
The story is somewhat derivative I suppose but still found an original slant and it remained intriguing and tense all throughout the end.

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2202 on: 03 Aug 2019, 20:20 »

I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Theta9

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2203 on: 05 Aug 2019, 06:48 »

I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:

There's a class of movie that you only watch once, even tho' it's a really good movie. For me the exemplar of the type is Grave of the Fireflies.
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

oddtail

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #2204 on: 05 Aug 2019, 07:02 »

There's a class of movie that you only watch once, even tho' it's a really good movie. For me the exemplar of the type is Grave of the Fireflies.

Agreed. And it's "A Clockwork Orange" for me.

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #2205 on: 05 Aug 2019, 08:56 »

I can only watch that one every 10 years or so.  It was even more disturbing than usual when I watched it the first time I took acid.
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2206 on: 05 Aug 2019, 15:42 »

Oh and I saw How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World last night.

Not as good as HtTYD or its first sequel, but better than Despicable Me or Shark Tale.

Castlerook

« Reply #2207 on: 05 Aug 2019, 16:58 »

Please, an actual shark attack is better than Shark Tale.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #2208 on: 05 Aug 2019, 17:05 »

Is even a Sharknado better?
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

BenRG

• WoW gold miner on break
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2209 on: 06 Aug 2019, 01:11 »

From what I understand of it, expecting 'quality' from Sharknado is missing the point. The whole experience is meant to be viewed through a haze of tears of hilarity and, optimally, a mild sugar high from the stuff you gorged on from the concession stand.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #2210 on: 06 Aug 2019, 07:02 »

Please, an actual shark attack is better than Shark Tale.
I admit, that's a low bar to clear. But I also have no great opinion of Despicable Me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2211 on: 17 Aug 2019, 12:07 »

Despicable Me has some nice elements to it, and there is good stuff in there.

Shark Tale is one of the most depressingly cynical, soulless movies I have ever seen.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2212 on: 18 Aug 2019, 08:57 »

Despicable Me has some nice elements to it, and there is good stuff in there.

Shark Tale is one of the most depressingly cynical, soulless movies I have ever seen.

Yeah, Despicable Me 1 and 2 are nice animated movies about found families and has a lot of heart. The 3rd one is a little different, but still pretty good

Shark tale is straight up garbage

Castlerook

« Reply #2213 on: 18 Aug 2019, 09:25 »

Watched King Kong vs Godzilla.
I laughed through most of it, though not for the reasons the studio intended. Definitely watch it again.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2214 on: 25 Aug 2019, 20:30 »

Just saw Aquaman. Pretty good. Its like King Arthur mixed with Thor.

Watching it really made me want to create some sort of strategy game involving the Atlantian kingdoms. Like a diplomacy sim with natural disasters caused by human oil spills, over fishing, and garbage storms. Not only do you have to balance out the 10 kingdoms but also deal with the surface. Maybe by the end of the game you make your presence known to the surface world after uniting the 10 kingdoms? Something like The Last Federation mixed with XCom with some underwater army battles.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Castlerook

« Reply #2215 on: 25 Aug 2019, 20:45 »

Oh! And each kingdom has their own strengths and weaknesses based on their sea, like Arctic Ocean being slow to recover from natural disasters, so to avoid conflict, it's more diplomatic, while the Pacific Ocean becoming more warlike because of surface shipping (and dumping - there's so much plastic in the Northern Pacific Gyre that there's a landmass forming the size of Texas). And maybe each kingdom gets it's own unique monster, like the Megalodon or the Kraken.

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2216 on: 26 Aug 2019, 19:29 »

I like where your heads at.  :-D

We'll keep it in the Atlantic though, the x-pac or sequel will introduce a new challenger, Lemuria in the Pacific. It'll be the war for the waves.

Castlerook

« Reply #2217 on: 01 Sep 2019, 18:06 »

Tried watching Blair Witch (2016) and I remembered there's a reason I hate found footage films.
Most of the time, it keeps hopping around to different characters, leaving you wondering whose perspective you're looking at now.
Everyone is invariably some kind of asshole.
There's invariably some sort of prank/hoax to make you think that its fake and then bam, everything goes to hell.
You know everyone is going to die, so it's spoiled before you watch it.

So basically I got so bored I stopped watching it when someone got snapped like a twig.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2218 on: 01 Oct 2019, 08:50 »

I finally watched Missing Link, the latest movie from Laika. It was....not good. It was beautiful as all Laika movies are, but it was just boring. I'm a little sadly especially since Kubo and the 2 Strings was so good

Castlerook

« Reply #2219 on: 01 Oct 2019, 11:45 »

I think Laika's success is coming back to bite them in the ass, as it seems to be a steady decline in their films. Missing Link is terrible, Kubo was good, but Coraline is still one of the best stop motion films produced.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2220 on: 02 Oct 2019, 07:58 »

For me ParaNorman is their top one, with Kubo and Coraline sharing second, Box trolls third, and Missing Link fourth. Coraline is amazing but ParaNorman just hit me in all the right places

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2221 on: 02 Oct 2019, 12:42 »

For me ParaNorman is their top one, with Kubo and Coraline sharing second, Box trolls third, and Missing Link fourth. Coraline is amazing but ParaNorman just hit me in all the right places
I really liked ParaNorman and feel its under appreciated.  :venonat:

Case

« Reply #2222 on: 16 Oct 2019, 09:42 »

Just watched Sojus 7 on Amazon. Basically, the Russian answer to Apollo 13. Great visuals, great fun, and very realistic (well, compared to Gravity, at least - I doubt that any pilot would have risked-, much less managed, that docking maneuver ...)

Also has this 'Down-to-earth-Eastern European'-feeling  (If you've ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on PC, you know what I mean) that makes it twice as enjoyable as comparable Hollywood flicks. If you're an 80s brat, it'll immediately suck you in.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2019, 09:48 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you donít know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

LeeC

• coprophage
« Reply #2223 on: 19 Oct 2019, 20:18 »

Anyone checked out "Primal" yet on Cartoon Network's late night line up Adult Swim? I just caught the ending half of an episode. Its pretty dope. Its like the Conan the Barbarian stories/novels but if Conan was a caveman and teams up with a dinosaur  :mrgreen:. Its very brutal. Its made by the same guy that created Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, The Original 2d Clone Wars series, and Hotel Transylvanian. Definitely worth a watch!

Spoiler contains a gif of the show with a brutal scene of an ape man being punched to pieces.
(click to show/hide)

Gyrre

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2224 on: 29 Oct 2019, 07:29 »

Summer Wars if nobody's mentioned it yet.

Miraia (or Mirai of the Future) is another one I'll recommend. Time travel and a focus on one particular family. The time travel and the dog are barely (if at all) explained, so try not to dwell on it. What's important is the family.
Big blue eyes /Pointy nose/Itís a revolution I suppose/Tiny paws/ To fit right in

sitnspin

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2225 on: 29 Oct 2019, 07:59 »

Watched Zombieland 2 and it was actually far better than I expected to be. It holds up to the original, which often isn't the case with comedy sequels. If you liked the first one you will like the second.
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2226 on: 04 Nov 2019, 08:04 »

Saw Parasite this past weekend, highly recommended. It's by Bong Joon-Ho, famous for Snowpiercer, Memories of Murder, Okja, and the Host, among others.

I think it's classified here as horror, but I would definitely not call it that.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2019, 08:09 by dutchrvl »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2227 on: 05 Nov 2019, 02:27 »

Mirai (or Mirai of the Future) is another one I'll recommend.

I'll add a recommendation for Mirai.

Another recent anime film about relationships which I'd recommend is Maquia - When the promised flower blooms.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]   Go Up