Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 24 Feb 2020, 20:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 214310 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2250 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:56 »

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2251 on: 30 Jan 2020, 09:38 »

I just watched Ready or Not and it was pretty great. I especially loved the end where:
(click to show/hide)

Boy am I glad for these Rich People Are Fucked Up and They Get What They Deserve movies

oddtail

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #2252 on: 06 Feb 2020, 07:45 »

I just watched "Uncut Gems". The movie was not even on my radar, but a few Youtubers I follow that talk about film (and who probably watch more movies per year than I watch in a decade) were singing praises of the movie.

The movie is good. I'm glad I watched it. It's tense and anxiety-inducing for me (which I think was intentional).

But I don't understand the level of praise it seems to be getting. I appreciated it (I can't really say I "enjoyed" it, see my anxiety comment), but it doesn't seem like any kind of big masterpiece for me.

So I definitely recommend it, but I'm thinking it might be overhyped by critics, or perhaps I'm just uncultured swine who doesn't get it. Which seems to be a general audience reaction, as audiences seem to have liked it FAR less than critics did, according to Rotten Tomatoes.

But again - it's a good movie. It's worth watching. Just - probably don't come to it with expectations as high as I did. I can't fathom how this gets called one of the best movies of the year.

dutchrvl

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2253 on: 10 Feb 2020, 09:17 »

Finally saw Joker this weekend...

Wow!

What a total mind-feck! (In a good way!)

Saw it this past Saturday, and yeah you can say that again.
While I haven't quite made up my mind as to how good I find the movie as a whole, Phoenix' performance did blow my mind. What he physically does with the role, the nuances in his expressions, and how he manages to depict his gradual descent into madness, it's quite something to behold. There is a quick shot near the end in which his expression is particularly menacing, and I compare it to the one scene in The Dark Knight in which Ledger was briefly particularly frightening ("Look at me!").

oddtail

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #2254 on: 11 Feb 2020, 05:38 »

Finally got around to watching "My Neighbor Totoro". Somehow I managed to come to the movie completely blind.

Out of the Studio Ghibli movies I've watched so far, I think I overall preferred "Spirited Away", but I still spent like half an hour crying non-stop when I was watching "Totoro". The film is the perfect blend of warm, cute and sad.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]   Go Up