Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 07 Aug 2020, 20:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched [movie x here]  (Read 237025 times)

oddtail

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: I just watched [movie x here]
« Reply #2350 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:05 »

Yeah, I am not flat-out against any portrayal of cops as good guys, but Hot Fuzz goes the extra mile to make the portayal less problematic than 99% of other movies/shows.

Hot Fuzz shows what cops *should* be. The heroic, badass main character explicitly denounces violence as the first go-to option. He thinks procedure is there for a reason. And he makes an important distinction (again, explicitly so) that most movie cops don't - he's there to help people and to be useful. *Not* to punish criminals.

Sure, the movie devolves into action movie cop nonsense, but character motivations *do*, in my mind, colour what actions they take. Nicholas Angel doesn't just *say* he's not interested in "proper action and shit". He actually follows through. Look how many scenes in the movie there are when he just talks to people, asks them to follow the rules and explains his actions. Now think how many movie policemen *ever* talk to civilians or engage with them outside of a murder investigation or whatever. I can't offhand think of any examples, to be honest.

I think that makes "Hot Fuzz" a unique movie in a way.

Theta9

• The Tickler
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2351 on: 26 Jul 2020, 07:20 »

Also Hot Fuzz is a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie, and I'll forgive much when those two are involved.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Castlerook

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #2352 on: 26 Jul 2020, 07:59 »

Also Hot Fuzz does make sure its villains are actually worse, having murdered people for petty reasons ranging from underage drinking to simple being a bad actor. All for the sake of a, in the end, meaningless title for "Best Village".
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

oddtail

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2353 on: 27 Jul 2020, 01:27 »

I actually don't think it's, by itself, a good thing in a movie.

It's actually easy to make someone heroic by making whoever they oppose monstrous. There are other cop movies that do that, ones I'm decidedly less comfortable with how they portray police work.

(it does work in "Hot Fuzz", but it's just a part of the puzzle, and one I don't think is among the more significant ones. I rate it below "Nicholas Angel dual-wields pens to fill in paperwork and that's badass".)

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2354 on: 27 Jul 2020, 01:39 »

Most cop movies rely on making the antagonist a monster in order to justify the protagonist breaking rules and violating rights. There is nothing unique about that, it is essential to the genre.

The main thing that makes Hot Fuzz more palatable than most is that it is a parody. It is deliberately over the top and cartoonish. It still borders on copaganda, like most cop action movies do, but less egregiously since the whole thing is decidedly tongue-in-cheek and the fact that it never glorifies the protagonists violating their oaths of office or citizen's rights.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2355 on: 27 Jul 2020, 14:48 »

This discussion has got me thinking about other cop movies. We've mostly talked about action\dramas. What are your feeling about comedies (i.e. Police Academy, Super Troopers, etc) and scifi (RoboCop, Dredd, etc)?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Older than Moses
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #2356 on: 27 Jul 2020, 14:58 »

IIRC, the character of Judge Dredd was more of a deconstruction.
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Theta9

• The Tickler
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2357 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:39 »

This discussion has got me thinking about other cop movies. We've mostly talked about action\dramas. What are your feeling about comedies (i.e. Police Academy, Super Troopers, etc) and scifi (RoboCop, Dredd, etc)?
Wait, Hot Fuzz isn't a comedy?
stePH
--

sitnspin

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2358 on: 27 Jul 2020, 20:44 »

RoboCop and Dredd still glorify police violence. While they do portray the system as corrupt, they never condemn the violence of the protagonist.

Police Academy and other comedies white wash police. Even shows/films that don't glorify rights violations still do propaganda, just from a different angle. Instead of justifying bad behaviour, they cover it up and make cops seem harmless.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2020, 10:49 by sitnspin »
@syleegrrl

Tova

• Preventing third impact
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2359 on: 03 Aug 2020, 16:15 »

Knock Down the House.

Free on Youtube right now.
Sometimes Hail Marys are the best Marys we've got.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2360 on: 04 Aug 2020, 10:44 »

I watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for the first time since I was little, oddly enough on Netflix, and it still holds up. I've also read the comic it's based on since then, Batman: Year 2

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2361 on: 04 Aug 2020, 12:18 »

Phantasm for me is in the discussion for best Batman movie. Not just animated. Just best.

The DCAU understood these characters more than even a lot of comic writers - shame they all tend to create garbage when left to their own devices.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2362 on: 04 Aug 2020, 13:26 »

Phantasm for me is in the discussion for best Batman movie. Not just animated. Just best.

The DCAU understood these characters more than even a lot of comic writers - shame they all tend to create garbage when left to their own devices.

I'd argue its Lego Batman Movie

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #2363 on: 04 Aug 2020, 14:09 »

You are absolutely right. The Lego Batman movie is a masterpiece - and that version of the Joker genuinely to me channels that character's spirit more than almost any other I have ever seen.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Theta9

• The Tickler
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #2364 on: 04 Aug 2020, 20:43 »

Lego Batman is the best Batman.

But Mark Hamill is the best Joker.
stePH
--

oddtail

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2365 on: Today at 09:29 »

I finally got around to watching "Matrix Reloaded".

When I first watched the first "Matrix", I thought it was WAY overrated. I rewatched it in late 2010s, and I warmed up considerably to it. On rewatch, I thought the movie is pretty damn brilliant, bordering on genius. It, I feel, only gets better with age.

I never bothered to watch the sequels until now. And one thing that strikes me about "Reloaded" is - it has a LOT of amazing ideas. Characters, plot points, worldbuilding that could fill a TV series or two. And probably should. Because it kinda fails as a movie on more than one level.

The movie feels like two films stapled together. The parts in/about Zion are badly written, disconnected with the scenes in the Matrix, and overall fail to engage because the viewer doesn't know any of those people. The first half hour is boring, the lines are written and acted out... very weird, and it's generally off-putting.

I honestly think the story, if told in summary point-by-point, is not bad in its premise. It's the execution that suffers.

The biggest thing holding the movie back is that it feels the need to be a direct sequel to "The Matrix". The film should follow different characters, with different perspectives, be more focused on things happening to people living in the Matrix. "Animatrix" has shown that it can be done, and done well.

Overall, a fascinating experience, but the movie is just not that good. It has great scenes, great characters (Merovingian is a hoot), amazingly creative concepts. I'd honestly love to see it remade - "flawed, but with promising concepts" is the perfect remake fodder as movies go.

And since I know how the trilogy ends in broad strokes (I haven't seen "Revolutions", obviously, but I know the general plot), that's one more mark against "Reloaded". It's sloppy and falls apart, overall.

Honestly a shame.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48]   Go Up